Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I buy everything off the MB even if there's shops because I have millions of gold and I'll never be able to buy one of the 12 plots of land in all of existence so what's it good for besides saving me the time of googling that I would need to go to A'ss-m'an Da-f'uck in Ok'Zu'-N'Du to buy my +21 Monolithic Belt of Slaying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wonder why they even allow you to list allagan pieces on the MB. It's literally just a junk item designed to be sold to a vendor for gil. It probably shouldn't even exist, actually

Back when you couldn't take as much gil* with you in server moves, people bought them to keep most of their money, ideally only losing the market fee (or not even that if people are bad enough to sell them below vendor value).

You can bring a lot of gil nowadays, though, and the lower value ones are especially worthless since no one is going to buy dozens of stacks of an item they can vendor for 100 or 500 gil each.

*) it used to be like 1 million + 100k per retainer, now it's 10 million + 5 million per retainer

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 24, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Saint Freak posted:

I buy everything off the MB even if there's shops because I have millions of gold and I'll never be able to buy one of the 12 plots of land in all of existence so what's it good for besides saving me the time of googling that I would need to go to A'ss-m'an Da-f'uck in Ok'Zu'-N'Du to buy my +21 Monolithic Belt of Slaying.

There's no need to google. It's sold where it's level appropriate. Level 62 gear is in kugane/ruby sea/low level side of doman wall, 64 is azim steppe, 66 is house of the fierce, 68 is the place in the peaks I believe.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wonder why they even allow you to list allagan pieces on the MB. It's literally just a junk item designed to be sold to a vendor for gil. It probably shouldn't even exist, actually

The reason why they exist is as a workaround to avoid depositing large amounts of money directly in player's inventories for reasons that I'm forgetting

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

The reason why they exist is as a workaround to avoid depositing large amounts of money directly in player's inventories for reasons that I'm forgetting

Busywork. A few clicks here a few clicks there and you've just spent 90 hours of gameplay doing nothing over the course of a year.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

EvilTaytoMan posted:

What I never got about undercutters is when they start selling items below the vendor price. I mean it's not like you don't have a convenient method to sell them to a vendor now and yet they still flood the mb with them.

Sometimes I can't help myself when market board prices drop too low and I just list everything below vendor prices kind of like flipping the table during a monopoly game

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Harrow posted:

But, like, stores that put items on sale do them to lure you into the store so you also buy other things. That's not how the market board works. :psyduck:
Actually that's a byproduct for most stores. A store the size of Amazon or Walmart may be doing that specifically but the general strategy for most conventional brick and mortar is to move inventory for cash flow purposes.

Not that this has anything to do with the market board. People are idiots, yeah.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Truga posted:

Busywork. A few clicks here a few clicks there and you've just spent 90 hours of gameplay doing nothing over the course of a year.

Pray return to the Market Board

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Augus posted:

I assume it's to give the player a choice/chance of getting cash instead of items for rewards for things that offer items. A lot of ARR quests had a choice between a bunch of different armors, but also gave an option for cash instead.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm about to hit 70 on PLD and I want to get to leveling something else. My last 60 is SMN, but I'm told that got kinda fucky, so with just the job quests, which is best: MNK, SAM, or DRK? I'm sorta interested in leveling all of those.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Which has the best job quests? DRK.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Saint Freak posted:

I haven't leveled every class but I'm going to say yes because it's impossible for job quests to get any better than DRK.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

I haven't done most of the others and I know it's this one, at least for SB.

I almost cried at the end.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

DRK job quests are head and shoulder above every other job in the game

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DRK quests are very good, yes.

The monk quest in SB is largely good (because it brings up your PUG roots as something that matters) but soured by how bullshit the last duty is.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish I actually liked playing DRK because I'm hearing a lot of hype about these quests

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Thundarr posted:

DRK quests are very good, yes.

The monk quest in SB is largely good (because it brings up your PUG roots as something that matters) but soured by how bullshit the last duty is.

All (2) of the SB job quests I've done seem to be about merging your 1-30 stuff with your 30-60 stuff. I suppose that's not possible for the HW and over jobs, but that's how it's been for the others.

DRK it is, I guess. Fast queue city.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wish I actually liked playing DRK because I'm hearing a lot of hype about these quests

You're gonna have to get it to 70 at some point for the achievements and titles, so get grinding.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Had a Red Mage just now in Shisui complain that i shouldn't be stance swapping because he kept ripping aggro off me in Deliverance. Once i told him i'm going to keep doing it because i like to do damage, he spent the entire next pull AFK typing out some long diatribe on how it's a leveling dungeon and it doesn't matter and i should learn how to "weave" Overpower into my DPS The pull he sat out was slightly slower, but suddenly there were no issues, no problems with the ninja or the healer taking aggro at all.

Why he waited until the last pull before the final boss is a bit of a mystery to me. Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like just randomly throwing in overpowers while in Deliverance is a bit of a waste since aggro gain sucks dick while you're in Deliverance and that is time that is better spent Fell Cleaving/Decimating.

No you should for sure still be using overpower in between combos. I usually start a pull in defiance by throwing out an overpower or two, build gauge to 50, swap to deliverance, berzerk, infuriate, decimate x2, then spam overpower until berzerk ends. Also as much as it is on your dps to use their enmity skills, it still falls on you to actually hold aggro, and that might mean swapping back to defiance if they're really on point.

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015

Augus posted:

I didn't pick any of the "just like zenos" dialogue options in cutscenes and it was fun thinking of my character just standing there dumbfounded during his whole "we're not so different you and I" speech.

Silence was the best choice for the final dialogue option there because you just fold your arms and stare at him angrily.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Speaking of DRK quests, I forgot to post this...interesting thing that happened in the level 50 quest.

Dark cutscene + dark skin + HDR lighting off = apparently our darkside is a floating tuft of hair controlling a suit of armor.

Also, I was running coils unsynced with a few other goons last night, and we seem to be doing something wrong with T9's instakill mechanics. You have to get the golems to eat the meteors, and keep the golems from running into each other and merging, but for some reason the second set of meteors kept exploding and wiping everyone before any golems would even spawn in. I'm not sure if we were killing stuff too quickly or if we're just missing some mechanic, or if it's one of those fights that instakills you if you have less than a full party of 8.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Had a Red Mage just now in Shisui complain that i shouldn't be stance swapping because he kept ripping aggro off me in Deliverance. Once i told him i'm going to keep doing it because i like to do damage, he spent the entire next pull AFK typing out some long diatribe on how it's a leveling dungeon and it doesn't matter and i should learn how to "weave" Overpower into my DPS The pull he sat out was slightly slower, but suddenly there were no issues, no problems with the ninja or the healer taking aggro at all.

Why he waited until the last pull before the final boss is a bit of a mystery to me. Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like just randomly throwing in overpowers while in Deliverance is a bit of a waste since aggro gain sucks dick while you're in Deliverance and that is time that is better spent Fell Cleaving/Decimating.

Honestly a Red Mage consistently ripping aggro from a tank with their aoe skills simply shouldn't be happening if the tank is on point, and they were obviously doing more damage than you were even in your dps stance--ie. doing their job. The fact that the Ninja didn't also steal aggro doesn't mean the Red Mage is the problem, it means the Ninja didn't have the same damage output. Which isn't surprising, RDM is one of those classes with really solid and easy-to-mash aoe skills.

Tanks bringing big damage is good, tanks bringing not-quite-as-big-but-still-respectable damage to let competent dps safely bring even bigger damage is better.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hell I'll toss out a Flash every so often in Sword Oath, especially if I'm running dry on TP from Total Eclipse spam.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How big were you pulling things? This should be a non-issue if you're pulling double packs because that necessitates starting in Defiance anyway and the Steel Cyclone/Overpower spam, powered by berserk, that you unleash until the pack dwindles down to 3-4 and you swap to deliverance should be giving you an insurmountable hate lead that the dps can't rip from before the rest of the mobs die.

You are right that hate generation is pretty much not there in Deliverance, although an Onslaught will still give you a nice chunk if you need to dump gauge. However what you should be doing, as tank, is building enough of a hate lead in tank stance so that when you swap over the DPS cannot rip from you before the mobs die. You doing DPS is a good thing that should be optimized, but making sure that the actual DPS jobs can fully optimize as well is just going to make the dungeon faster for everyone. In a levelling dungeon the effective power of the group is going to be fairly even, so if a DPS is consistently pulling hate off you then you need to ramp up your hate generation, or pay more attention to what that DPS is targeting.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Your job is to do the maximum amount of DPS you can while keeping aggro. If a DPS steals aggro from you it is your fault and you should fix it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You should be spamming Overpower at 3+ targets for maximum deeps anyway.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Your job is to do the maximum amount of DPS you can while keeping aggro. If a DPS steals aggro from you it is your fault and you should fix it

IMO even if it isn't your fault (dps isn't using diversion, etc) and you can fix it, but you don't, it's still your fault

Pubbies gonna pub and if you are shocked and appalled every time it happens and fail to adjust then that's on you at some point

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been working on my Steam backlog, has SE announced any previews for 4.1?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also, I was running coils unsynced with a few other goons last night, and we seem to be doing something wrong with T9's instakill mechanics. You have to get the golems to eat the meteors, and keep the golems from running into each other and merging, but for some reason the second set of meteors kept exploding and wiping everyone before any golems would even spawn in. I'm not sure if we were killing stuff too quickly or if we're just missing some mechanic, or if it's one of those fights that instakills you if you have less than a full party of 8.

The meteors themselves have to be spaced out as they land. If two land too close together they will blow up for silly amounts of damage.

If you drop them either at the spokes or halfway between spokes, they should be far enough apart to not blow up.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

I've been working on my Steam backlog, has SE announced any previews for 4.1?

not yet but there's an anniversary stream in a few days that'll probably give us our first video of upcoming poo poo

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Thundarr posted:

The meteors themselves have to be spaced out as they land. If two land too close together they will blow up for silly amounts of damage.
And people can get back-to-back meteors, so you have to pay attention to the marker to make sure you're not about to drop a second one on top of the first.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Back from a long break, have they said anything recently about squadron for dungeons?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Back from a long break, have they said anything recently about squadron for dungeons?

They haven't said anything about anything. There's a dev letter next week but from what I've heard they're explicitly not going to be talking much about coming patches because they want to tease stuff closer to release.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Everyone posted:

Market board.

I know all of the things about letting everything go to poo poo overnight because The Market, but it's still frustrating when I was making decent scratch off of something only to one day have it all drop into more trouble than it's worth.

Don't get me wrong, if I want to buy poo poo I'm glad people are selling it below the vendor price like morons, but I want All The Gil, drat it!

VelociBacon posted:

I love that comic because it's like "let the free market decide" and then directly issues a plea to the viewer to agree to artificially alter their own behavior for the sake of the greater economy.

I enjoyed making it. :v:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
If you want to sell poo poo for money, you should also buy the garbage that people sell below market value like morons as well.

Hot tip from my friend Lolorito

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you're really lucky, you might get an angry letter from the original seller questioning your honor

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

SonicRulez posted:

All (2) of the SB job quests I've done seem to be about merging your 1-30 stuff with your 30-60 stuff. I suppose that's not possible for the HW and over jobs, but that's how it's been for the others.

DRK it is, I guess. Fast queue city.

Dragoon is more like "Hey, remember the loose ends from the 50-60 quests? Follow up on that and also hang out with a certain character who only shows up in cutscenes but doesn't actually talk to you in the main Stormblood quest"

This is probably because no one actually remembers the Lancer chain or thinks it is good.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

unseenlibrarian posted:

Dragoon is more like "Hey, remember the loose ends from the 50-60 quests? Follow up on that and also hang out with a certain character who only shows up in cutscenes but doesn't actually talk to you in the main Stormblood quest"

This is probably because no one actually remembers the Lancer chain or thinks it is good.

Well, lancer 1-30 does feature an edgelord trying to prove how tough he is and getting repeatedly smacked around for his efforts, so that's kind of fun. Then again, it also has the single most boring guildmaster in the game.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

OneDeadman posted:

If you want to sell poo poo for money, you should also buy the garbage that people sell below market value like morons as well.

Hot tip from my friend Lolorito

It's fine. I'm just sticking to relatively stable things now.I have a few staples that consistently move for a decent enough price. If I try to care, it will just frustrate me and stop being fun. I've tried flipping things before and it has never worked out in my favour. I end up sitting on the item for eternity or selling it for even less than I bought it for. I'm bad at this game in all respects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The most amazing thing to me is material prices. People selling them for significantly below the vendor price.

Like, when you go to sell an item, it automatically puts the vendor price in the box. So this means people are looking at that number and thinking "I MUST GO LOWER"