Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jack's Flow posted:

Steph
Klay
Mullin
Barry
Wilt

Yeah, that'll do!

Durant should probably be in there instead of, like, 3 of those guys instead of off the bench.

edit: This might actually be my favorite team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Gobias Ind. posted:

Lou Williams is the funniest Toronto inclusion to me. I know he won 6th man, but the dude played 80 games as a Raptor.

https://twitter.com/TeamLou23/status/900803698590351363

Lockback posted:

Durant should probably be in there instead of, like, 3 of those guys instead of off the bench.

Team is lie

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Gobias Ind. posted:

Lou Williams is the funniest Toronto inclusion to me. I know he won 6th man, but the dude played 80 games as a Raptor.

More games than Embiid has played for the 76ers.....

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Lockback posted:

More games than Embiid has played for the 76ers.....

But he will presumably play more! no he won't

Haha. I do love Lou.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Kibner posted:

I honestly don't know who the NOLA Jazz history belongs to. They never did anything of note, so there are no banners to hang. We do have a retired Pistol jersey in the rafters, though.

if the nba had listened to me and forced NOLA to name themselves the Swing instead of the fuckin Pelicans they could be the spiritual successor if not in fact

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Lockback posted:

How the gently caress is Ray Allen a 95 and Russ and Payton 94?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
The Spurs all time team is weird.

First, Hakeem is higher than Robinson which is a joke. It still confounds me that Robinson doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Rodman is hilarious. He's an 89 in Detroit, 84 in San Antonio, and 93 in Chicago. I guess that means we can add at least 5 point to every Spurs player for an anti Spurs bias.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wilt is only a 93 for the Sixers team

lmao

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Space Camp fuckup posted:

The Suns are missing all-time leader in games played Alvan Adams and all-time leading scorer Walter Davis.

But we have Goran Dragic and Cedric Ceballos lol. That just seems really lazy.

What about my childhood favorite Dan Majerle?

I was a weird kid.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I am saddened that my link did not work because it's a .gif I want to use during the season

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 24, 2017

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
twitter.com/JayJayJet8/status/900139678837374976

NBA twitter is amazing (nsfw)

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Bobby Digital posted:

What about my childhood favorite Dan Majerle?

I was a weird kid.

He was my favorite too. 3 pointers have always been cool

Starters: Steve Nash (96), Paul Westphal (88), Shawn Marion (90), Tom Chambers (89), Amar’e Stoudemire (91)

Reserves: Dennis Johnson (92), Kevin Johnson (90), Jason Kidd (88), Connie Hawkins (88), Larry Nance (88), Dan Majerle (87), Jeff Hornacek (86), Goran Dragic (86), Leandro Barbosa (84), Cedric Ceballos (84)

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Interesting that the San Antonio team doesn't have the only player ever to get a quad double with steals.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Mitch Richmond is a 94 overall, tied with Oscar Robertson

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Prime Mitch Richmond was pretty drat good.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

C'mon y'all, Kobe is a 98. Arguing over ratings is pointless if you forget there's a bonus for marketability

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Quinntan posted:

So, what basketball podcasts do people recommend? I'd really appreciate something similar to the football ramble, but i'd take whatever i can get.

id recommend 100-200 hours of history podcasts if you want to keep up with the refs in this thread :sweatdrop:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

Bulls all time team

Chet Walker is definitely missing. In the annals of Bulls history Love and Sloan are overrated.

Kibner posted:

Sad that apparently Pistol Pete is for Utah instead of NOLA. I'm not sure if he ever played a game in that state. :(

He played seven games for the Jazz in Utah itself.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Zogobot please compute Bostons chances with such poor roster continuity

Assuming Horford, Smart, Brown and Rozier play the same number of minutes in 2018 and the team plays the same amount (82 games and 15 OT periods) they'd have a RC% of 36.4%. No team has won a title with a number close to that. No team has even gone to the finals with a number like that in the 3P era (I'm going to check the earlier years later at some point).

However, some in the media are calling BOS legit contenders now. I wouldn't trust them.

Libertine posted:

...if Cleveland loses Lebron leaves and their team dissolves. If that happens Boston owns the East for like five years.

Since everyone thinks Cleveland brutally won this trade talk me out of my insanity I guess.

BOS wasn't a great team last year (they were just in a very weak conference) and now they've had massive roster upheaval. Projecting out five years is difficult unless you have the orange infinity gem. It's like saying the 76ers are going to dominate the 2000s when in reality the 2003 draft happened.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dexo posted:

Shoutout to the Wizards for having motherfucking Otto Porter on it. (guess they couldn't get Arenas' rights?)
:laffo:

extremely disappointed Jordan isn't on the all-time Wizards

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Open Floor is the only big-time basketball podcast I respect.

E: Also looks like fate has intervened in my decision to buy Lakers tickets after all, the website is hosed. You would think ticket websites would know how to deal with a little DDoS but I guess not.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 24, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MourningView posted:

As it should be.

Histories should stay with cities when franchises move. I can't imagine anyone in Utah cares about Pistol Pete's time as a Jazzman. He only played in Utah for 17 games or so. Meanwhile in NOLA at Champions Square.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

DeimosRising posted:

C'mon y'all, Kobe is a 98. Arguing over ratings is pointless if you forget there's a bonus for marketability

Wow of course they underrate him smdh

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

Am I crazy for thinking the Cavs got better in the immediate term with this deal?

It's a sane position.

Niwrad posted:

I don't think either team got fleeced. It's just an odd deal because both those teams could have used those assets to acquire Butler or George.

Things the NBA BOG wants:

-LBJ in the 2018 finals.
-OKC winning more games and increasing attendance.
-MIN winning more games and increasing attendance.

Lockback posted:

If [CLE] did nothing they would have a tough road to the finals where they need some big time luck.

2018 CLE with Kyrie/LBJ and Love seems like the big favorite. Going to the finals isn't easy but they should've and would've been the big favorites even considering LBJ going for an eighth straight appearance.

Gordon Hayward isn't going to be a massive roadblock for LBJ. Bulls/Pacers are gutted. Wade's probably joining too. The Raptors will probably explode again etc.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Knicks have neither Starbury or Lin on their all time roster and it is a travesty

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

Histories should stay with cities when franchises move. I can't imagine anyone in Utah cares about Pistol Pete's time as a Jazzman. He only played in Utah for 17 games or so. Meanwhile in NOLA at Champions Square.

IMO, the Hawks team with Pistol Pete, Dr J, and Lou Hudson is one of the all time what could have been lineups. Dr J got tired of the ABA and tried to jump to the NBA, but the ABA sued and he was forced to go back to the ABA before he played the end of preseason.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Qoxdkrcj7sMJ:www.nba.com/hawks/history/DrJ.html&num=1&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1&vwsrc=0

The real page is broken, so here is a cached link

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jota posted:

And Jrue Holiday

No Bobby Jones or Andrew Toney.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

How the gently caress is Ray Allen a 95 and Russ and Payton 94?

Old school Ray Allen was a super athletic beast.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/900837176916795396

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://twitter.com/waltermccarty/status/900424492505346048

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Clippers adviser Jerry West can't imagine anybody beating the Warriors
https://sports.yahoo.com/clippers-advisor-jerry-west-cant-imagine-anybody-beating-warriors-174208214.html

The Glumslinger posted:

IMO, the Hawks team with Pistol Pete, Dr J, and Lou Hudson is one of the all time what could have been lineups. Dr J got tired of the ABA and tried to jump to the NBA, but the ABA sued and he was forced to go back to the ABA before he played the end of preseason.

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Qoxdkrcj7sMJ:https://www.nba.com/hawks/history/DrJ.html&num=1&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1&vwsrc=0[/url]

The real page is broken, so here is a cached link

Pete Maravich was such a gigantic chucker that he'd probably nullify the other two. It's the same situation the Lakers faced in the 1960s with Elgin Baylor derailing West/Goodrich and other teammates. It isn't a coincidence that the LA Lakers won their first title after Elgin left the team.

Libertine posted:

If you are going to roll this comparison, you should roll it for their Playoffs Advanced numbers.

I can spoil the result for you though if you want.

Preeminence should be given to the regular season as it's a much bigger dataset. The playoffs are short enough that all kinds of players can be situationally overrated (mostly while playing next to the true elites).

e.g. Birdman had by far the highest WS/48 in 2013. Tiago Splitter had the #2 WS/48 in 2014. Darren Collison #2 in 2012. Whiteside #2 last year etc. Not bad players but they wouldn't be doing that in regular season.

IT playing alongside LBJ in the playoffs may start to look like Curry.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Old school Ray Allen was a super athletic beast.

for your offseason viewing pleasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16WlaHTaq_k&t=30s

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

He's right.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Haha no Reggie on the Pacers all time roster, but that trader Paul George is!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

I wonder why Reggie Miller hates video games. I'd take the free money.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Zogo posted:

Clippers adviser Jerry West can't imagine anybody beating the Warriors
https://sports.yahoo.com/clippers-advisor-jerry-west-cant-imagine-anybody-beating-warriors-174208214.html

Pete Maravich was such a gigantic chucker that he'd probably nullify the other two. It's the same situation the Lakers faced in the 1960s with Elgin Baylor derailing West/Goodrich and other teammates. It isn't a coincidence that the LA Lakers won their first title after Elgin left the team.

Because their knees were completely shot because ACL surgery didn't exist yet?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

TBA varies wildly show to show. The weekly Windhorst one is good if you just want relatively straightforward NBA discussion, the others might be only tangentially related so it's gonna depend on how much you like the people involved

TBA's dead (again) with the main producer leaving ESPN and it's not clear if ESPN is going to revive it in any way or stick with Lockdown and The Jump. I'd love to see a return of the Windhorst versions because it hit a nice balance of content and fun. The non-ESPN people have gone and started The Basketball Friends, which so far has zero basketball content and is a little high on its own farts.

Going to try Dunc'ed On, Open Floor, and The Starters.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Spacebump posted:

I wonder why Reggie Miller hates video games. I'd take the free money.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Reggie sold his likeness rights exclusively to EA and the NBA Live series.

Can't seem to find any article about it now though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Bulls all time team

Chet Walker and Norm Van Lier got snubbed. Or maybe they couldn't get their rights.

BJ is rated way too high.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

Chet Walker and Norm Van Lier got snubbed. Or maybe they couldn't get their rights.

BJ is rated way too high.

I will not have you slander BJ Armstrong, the only Bulls Jersey I ever owned.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Niwrad posted:

Norm has shunned video games ever since his son Vic got killed in one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Eltoasto posted:

No Dale Davis, No Sale.

• Locked thread