Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I remember lancer 1-30 being

Guildmaster: "It's important to be courageous"
Villain: *Does something that is literally courageous by the actual definition of the term*
Guildmaster: "No that's the wrong kind of courage stop it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
And then he shows up in the BRD quests.

It's actually pretty fitting for his stance there.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

That's basically it, the point was more "be courageous but not stupid" like don't put yourself in a losing situation to try and seem brave.

I'm kinda glad I stuck with it though. I've found Dragoon's fun to 50 and I'm literally on the cusp of heavensward now. I hope I get to dunk on Estinien more.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just got to Heavensward and holy poo poo is Raubahn the best character. :stare:

Nanamo. :smith:

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also, I was running coils unsynced with a few other goons last night, and we seem to be doing something wrong with T9's instakill mechanics. You have to get the golems to eat the meteors, and keep the golems from running into each other and merging, but for some reason the second set of meteors kept exploding and wiping everyone before any golems would even spawn in. I'm not sure if we were killing stuff too quickly or if we're just missing some mechanic, or if it's one of those fights that instakills you if you have less than a full party of 8.

I was in that group as the paladin, Kyrje. It as fun trying to figure out the mechanics on the fly, we were assuming that the golems were somehow merging into a super golem if they were allowed to touch, but by the time we got to meteors I was way too tired to apply any deeper level of critical thought to it.

The meteors being too close and setting off a chain reaction does make sense in context but I think i'm still gonna watch a mizzteq video before going back in.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I just got to Heavensward and holy poo poo is Raubahn the best character. :stare:

Nanamo. :smith:

200% MAD

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I described this scene to someone as exactly that. That part where he kicks the stone pillar was insane.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Had an exdr where I actually hated everyone. The tank was doing the usual pulls in Ala Mhigo, but the fresh 70 decked in i290 Scholar couldn't keep up. Immediate fire. The healer and tank start blaming each other. Once he checked the gear of the SCH, he then argued that they were too weak gearwise to do Ala Mhigo. He recommended they use tomes for stuff (which, duh, that's why they're in exdr fam). They spend the rest of the pull arguing that having the right ilevel doesn't mean you're at the right skill level for content (which isn't entirely wrong as I found later). They go to do the pull after the 1st boss and the WAR pulls just the first two mobs. He stops before the dogs. Yet the healer lets him die again. Bit more bickering until I get a prompt for a vote kick. I turn it down, but since the healer and DPS queued together, he had no chance.

And I know the SCH was actually quite bad, because they proceeded to die on the Iron Giants and then again during the first chunk of Zenos. After the Zenos wipe they just dropped quietly and their friend stayed behind. tldr I had to replace both the tank and healer who thought each other was poo poo. Surprise, they both sucked.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Had an exdr where I actually hated everyone. The tank was doing the usual pulls in Ala Mhigo, but the fresh 70 decked in i290 Scholar couldn't keep up. Immediate fire. The healer and tank start blaming each other. Once he checked the gear of the SCH, he then argued that they were too weak gearwise to do Ala Mhigo. He recommended they use tomes for stuff (which, duh, that's why they're in exdr fam). They spend the rest of the pull arguing that having the right ilevel doesn't mean you're at the right skill level for content (which isn't entirely wrong as I found later). They go to do the pull after the 1st boss and the WAR pulls just the first two mobs. He stops before the dogs. Yet the healer lets him die again. Bit more bickering until I get a prompt for a vote kick. I turn it down, but since the healer and DPS queued together, he had no chance.

And I know the SCH was actually quite bad, because they proceeded to die on the Iron Giants and then again during the first chunk of Zenos. After the Zenos wipe they just dropped quietly and their friend stayed behind. tldr I had to replace both the tank and healer who thought each other was poo poo. Surprise, they both sucked.

Ouch.

I had an EXDR this morning where the tank overpulled after the 1st boss and died once, and the healer accidentally died during the first phase of Zenos which led to a wipe. But nobody bitched because poo poo happens sometimes and we still cleared in like 20 minutes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zenos can be cleared with a rdm and a pld.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Zenos can be cleared with a rdm dps and a pld.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

And if Zenos is down to like 25% hp remaining, the DPS is optional too!

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

It's, America, not merica. I say Australia, not starlia.

I love my country and have respect for it, it's why I served my country for 9 years.

Respect. Learn it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pikavangelist posted:

It's, America, not merica. I say Australia, not starlia.

I love my country and have respect for it, it's why I served my country for 9 years.

Respect. Learn it.

It's, Limsa Lominsa, not limsa. I say Gridania, not dania.

I love my city and have respect for it, it's why I served my city for 7 years.

Respect. Learn it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought Ala Migho synched your iLevel up to like 300 or whatever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I thought Ala Migho synched your iLevel up to like 300 or whatever.

It syncs down to 310.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Who cares about any of that other poo poo on this page?

It's coming.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80178543

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Who cares about any of that other poo poo on this page?

It's coming.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80178543

all my namedays

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
[22:56]Kira Aurelia: PEOPLE WERE STILL ON THE loving WAY YOU WHORE
[22:56]Tricka Yo: fu guy dude. im out of this server
[22:56]Kira Aurelia: people should stop pullin when people are still otw
[22:56]Lobosbayne Packmaster: wow, ya, thanks for the wait

Blockhouse posted:

yeah that's what everyone loves in hunts, a massive waste of time

Brother Entropy posted:

love when tanks pull a weird powerplay 'lesson' on a people for not showing up to hunts on time and the only person inconvenienced is me, losing seals

ImpAtom posted:

It's certainly not good gameplay, a reasonable response, or something that helps or improves things for anyone.

loving ban Pink Peanut

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
pink peanut is a notorious early puller, whichever goon that is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Haquer posted:

[22:56]Kira Aurelia: PEOPLE WERE STILL ON THE loving WAY YOU WHORE
[22:56]Tricka Yo: fu guy dude. im out of this server
[22:56]Kira Aurelia: people should stop pullin when people are still otw
[22:56]Lobosbayne Packmaster: wow, ya, thanks for the wait

loving ban Pink Peanut

I love all the salt for ARR S ranks that die in 3 GCDs.

If it dies that fast it wasn't an early pull!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think it's possible to not early pull.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
No, seriously, guys, this is happening...

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Of course protagonist man plays a catgirl, seems to have more clothes on than the ones i normally see though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Of course protagonist man plays a catgirl, seems to have more clothes on than the ones i normally see though.

You may be able to explain "my character is a catlady" to your dad, but you will probably have a harder time maintaining his respect if you insist that she wear a bikini at all times.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Thundarr posted:

You may be able to explain "my character is a catlady" to your dad, but you will probably have a harder time maintaining his respect if you insist that she wear a bikini at all times.

It's okay to want to be a cute girl and maybe this mmo could help you ease your dad into this topic.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Help a raid out, is there any way to get Black Hole in O4S to go smoothly? Cause it's pretty much pure luck whether or not we can manage, we fail like 9/10 tries, it's nut pretty.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BrightWing posted:

Help a raid out, is there any way to get Black Hole in O4S to go smoothly? Cause it's pretty much pure luck whether or not we can manage, we fail like 9/10 tries, it's nut pretty.

Move ED to the middle after he casts white hole, and practice baiting the tethers. We had the same problem, it just comes with practice.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Fister Roboto posted:

Move ED to the middle after he casts white hole, and practice baiting the tethers. We had the same problem, it just comes with practice.

Oh, he can actually move during that segment? Him being in the middle definitely sounds like the better location for all that non-sense.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
fwiw we've had slightly more success with the edge method. just have the tanks and healers bait the balls toward the edge in cardinal directions, and after the dps fire goes off you pop sprint and fish hook back towards the middle, staying slightly spread for second fire and then collapsing into the boss before holy goes off. having the whole arena available to move around makes it easier imo.

make sure everyone is saving sprint for that phase if they currently are not.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

People on Omega regularly waited 8 minutes for everyone to get there each pull when hunts were more of a big deal.

If there's enough people there to kill it, I pull it.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Had a Red Mage just now in Shisui complain that i shouldn't be stance swapping because he kept ripping aggro off me in Deliverance. Once i told him i'm going to keep doing it because i like to do damage, he spent the entire next pull AFK typing out some long diatribe on how it's a leveling dungeon and it doesn't matter and i should learn how to "weave" Overpower into my DPS The pull he sat out was slightly slower, but suddenly there were no issues, no problems with the ninja or the healer taking aggro at all.
I could be wrong but I doubt anything does more DPS than Overpower spamming the trash pulls in Shisui. The only pull with less than 4 mobs is the one right before the boss, so your Overpower GCDs are worth at least 480 potency, but usually much more. You just need to ask for Goads and Tacticians when available, because pubbies don't always provide those unprompted.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

People on Omega regularly waited 8 minutes for everyone to get there each pull when hunts were more of a big deal.

Thankfully this isn't happening much any more. If an S rank hits, get the gently caress over there right now or you've missed it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2017/The_Rising/

the bugs are back! Does this mean dev room again?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am surprised we didn't get a trailer or anything regarding the next big content patch. I guess that's really not gonna come til October then.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am surprised we didn't get a trailer or anything regarding the next big content patch. I guess that's really not gonna come til October then.

trailer's going to be next weekend during the stream

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

trailer's going to be next weekend during the stream

yaaaaay

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

e: Rephrased/clarified/corrected quoting

While I'm quite sure this nugget of common sense is going to be lost in the argument: there is in fact a healthy middle ground between "pull immediately" / "pull as soon as it can be killed" (which for ARR hunts in particular, is basically immediately) and "tediously wait 8 minutes for every last straggler".

This concludes your daily reminder that non-hyperbolic solutions are not only worth considering but are generally more of a win than either extreme. For a better metric (particularly considering number of people to kill an ARR hunt is, like, 1), 15-30 seconds after the large crowd arrives (bear in mind distance from nearest aetheryte if you got there before the crowd, e.g. by discovering it) is typically fast enough that most reasonable people will go "yep, I had a chance to get there in time" and "nope, I didn't have to sit around waiting for long".

The large crowd indicates that the call's gone out on hunt linkshells/discords and people who heard it there and dropped everything have been able to make it. After that, a moderate sub-minute wait for people with slow loading times or who had to get out of combat before teleporting or something, should take care of reasonable stragglers.

Yes, you will still get the occasional impatient idiot, who thinks even that is too slow, and wants to advertise to the community at large that they don't grasp the concept of "people who were in other zones literally could not have gotten here by now".

Yes, you will still get the occasional sluggish idiot, who twiddled their thumbs about getting out there and then went on to complain that people didn't wait.

But on the whole you'll be doing right by the vast majority of anyone interested in hunts.

Vil fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 25, 2017

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vil posted:

While I'm quite sure this nugget of common sense is going to be lost in the argument: there is in fact a healthy middle ground between "pull immediately" / "pull as soon as it can be killed" (which for ARR hunts in particular, is basically immediately) and "tediously wait 8 minutes for every last straggler".

This concludes your daily reminder that non-hyperbolic solutions are not only worth considering but are generally more of a win than either extreme.

The truth is in the middle

(I'm absolutely fine waiting for folks but on S ranks others flat out don't, especially ARR ones. I'm not arguing that people should pull immediately, but it is what's happening on S ranks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

The truth is in the middle

(I'm absolutely fine waiting for folks but on S ranks others flat out don't, especially ARR ones. I'm not arguing that people should pull immediately, but it is what's happening on S ranks)

Yeah, you caught me mid-edit there. :)