Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Perspective: life's too short to hang out with nazi sympathizers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
sounds more like a trump supporter who's gone 'all in' suffering from sunk cost fallacy than a nazi - you cut them off you may as well cut off 50% of the population.

trump'll be gone in less than 4 years dude, your relationship with your brother is forever and its clear from the text you care about each other. that should mean way more than political bullshit.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Slugnoid posted:

sounds more like a trump supporter

Yeah, that's what I said.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Slugnoid posted:

jfc don't cut off contact with your own little brother just because of some politics bullshit. don't talk politics with him, learn to change the topic, or just shrug it off and accept that not everyone will agree with you in life.

you need to get some perspective dude
My brother is cool as hell and I love him but if ever he were to start texting me outta nowhere to complain about what I'm faving on twitter and spout off fascist talking points I would probably cut him out of my life because what the gently caress why would I ever tolerate having a literal pro-nazi sibling

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Slugnoid posted:

trump'll be gone in less than 4 years dude, your relationship with your brother is forever and its clear from the text you care about each other. that should mean way more than political bullshit.

Not anymore, politics is going from being something you can semi-complain about with people you disagree with to being "important" again. (I mean it always was, it's just that we didn't pay too much attention). Ultimately this means that if people start going "well 90% of the people at the Nazi rally weren't Nazis but were just nice people and Antifa is so mean even though they haven't killed anyone", you can just kind of tell them to get to gently caress.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 08:12 on Aug 25, 2017

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
My parents are Republican and my sister-in-law's parents are too. They all voted for Trump but got into an argument about politics (I wish I knew what specifically) and they haven't spoken since December. :shrug:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Slugnoid posted:

I would ordinarily agree with you, but what with the outright racist comments and attacking of people who he has literally no clue about, it's gonna be hard. I have less than zero tolerance for that garbage.

I'm probably just going to make effort to not speak to him for a little while, just to see if he eventually pulls his head out of his rear end.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Zipperelli. posted:

Found one in the wild! Public comment:

1. MUH FREEDUMB OF SPEEEEEEECH
2. "These faces are on our money" - the gently caress? You roll with CSA dollars or some poo poo?
3. Getting facts straight up wrong about that ESPN nonsense (the announcer voiced his wish to be reassigned. ESPN didn't force him to do poo poo).
4. Unironic use of :airquote:alt-left:airquote:
4a. "None of this was an issue until the alt-left made it an issue" oh yeah, sorry I forgot racism is a brand new thing for us in the year of our Lord 2017.
5. Scott loving Adams link. There is no :rolleyes: big enough.

Did I hit Bingo?

AND HE DOUBLED DOWN! (But not before I corrected his incorrect facts)

SOROOOOOOOS!!!!!!!!!!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I dunno about you guys but I find it really hard to engage with these people who pull the "I'm using a reasonable tone of voice and therefore my arguments are perfectly rational and valid and if you disprove them then that's just like your opinion, man, we're both equally as right as each other, perhaps you need some education" bullshit.

I just want to tell them to get hosed because it's so hard to unpack the "I'm a terrible racist" core from the layers and layers of wordy, concern-trolling bullshit and cutting through it with "go gently caress yourself" is much easier and more enjoyable.

It's different when it's someone arguing in good faith where you can actually have a discussion. In this case though it's always a lovely "argument" dressed up in polite language and they always always always respond to pointed questions with crap like "I don't agree but I will defend to the death blah blah" or "aren't I entitled to an opinion" or "well we'll have to agree to disagree". There's no argument beyond "I will say this and then I will defend to the death my right not to actually defend it except for calling you out on tone or making false equivalences."

Weatherman has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Aug 25, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Sorry bout your bro.

"one side seems to be more violent"

Oh you mean the one that drove a car into a crowd of people? Oh, you don't. Hmmmmmm.

:thunk:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If your family has lovely political beliefs just refuse to engage them about politics until they give up. It's not like they are going to change their minds or their opinion actually matters in any meaningful way. Talk to them about literally anything else and they will eventually get bored trying to bait you.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Weatherman posted:

I dunno about you guys but I find it really hard to engage with these people who pull the "I'm using a reasonable tone of voice and therefore my arguments are perfectly rational and valid and if you disprove them then that's just like your opinion, man, we're both equally as right as each other, perhaps you need some education" bullshit.

I just want to tell them to get hosed because it's so hard to unpack the "I'm a terrible racist" core from the layers and layers of wordy, concern-trolling bullshit and cutting through it with "go gently caress yourself" is much easier and more enjoyable.

It's different when it's someone arguing in good faith where you can actually have a discussion. In this case though it's always a lovely "argument" dressed up in polite language and they always always always respond to pointed questions with crap like "I don't agree but I will defend to the death blah blah" or "aren't I entitled to an opinion" or "well we'll have to agree to disagree". There's no argument beyond "I will say this and then I will defend to the death my right not to actually defend it except for calling you out on tone or making false equivalences."

Literally that comic

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

If your family has lovely political beliefs just refuse to engage them about politics until they give up. It's not like they are going to change their minds or their opinion actually matters in any meaningful way. Talk to them about literally anything else and they will eventually get bored trying to bait you.

this is what i did with my dad, they get the message suuuper quick.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Slugnoid posted:

trump'll be gone in less than 4 years dude, your relationship with your brother is forever

If someone in my family casually used the phrase "a friend of the family president who says stupid poo poo" I'd give them exactly one chance to explain themselves before I reclassified them from "family" to "person I occasionally try to convince to change." Yeah, don't cut 'em out of your life, but you're not stuck with 'em. As long as you're avoiding contact because you hate talking to them, and not because you think of your decision to avoid them as some sort of punitive justice, you're all good.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Except then you're still hanging around with Nazis/White Supremacists/Bigots etc., you're just ignoring it.

Also, if someone thinks it's hilarious they can make you mad when they call for genocide that's kind of lovely just on a personal level.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Somfin posted:

If someone in my family casually used the phrase "a friend of the family president who says stupid poo poo" I'd give them exactly one chance to explain themselves before I reclassified them from "family" to "person I occasionally try to convince to change." Yeah, don't cut 'em out of your life, but you're not stuck with 'em. As long as you're avoiding contact because you hate talking to them, and not because you think of your decision to avoid them as some sort of punitive justice, you're all good.

Yup. He was just a holder of a contrary opinion up to that line. My family ain't perfect, but they tried to keep decorum. The only person who ever got a pass on even slightly racist language was when my grandmother caught a case of dementia and referred to the black woman down the hall as "the negress four doors down."

Please note that slightly racist is still racist and what she said was totes an artifact of growing up among other unabashed racists. I only leave that term there (slightly racist) because 1) until that day I had never heard that word before and 2) she had obviously forgotten her name due to the erosion of her brain. It was obvious from her demeanor (and the impression I got of her while she was alive) that she didn't mean to be offensive, she just goofed on a few neurons.

If my formerly-racist friend were to bust that out he'd be voted off Friend Island immediately until such time as he, once again, showed genuine contrition.

Red Baron has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Aug 25, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fathis Munk posted:

Sorry bout your bro.

"one side seems to be more violent"

Oh you mean the one that drove a car into a crowd of people? Oh, you don't. Hmmmmmm.

:thunk:

"Playing in traffic"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Red Baron posted:

Please note that slightly racist is still racist and what she said was totes an artifact of growing up among other unabashed racists. I only leave that term there (slightly racist) because 1) until that day I had never heard that word before and 2) she had obviously forgotten her name due to the erosion of her brain. It was obvious from her demeanor (and the impression I got of her while she was alive) that she didn't mean to be offensive, she just goofed on a few neurons.

You don't need to qualify it that much. We all know how pointless it is to try to mold ideology that late in life, especially when dealing with dementia.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I've seen confederate flags here in California. One was a bumper sticker (plates were California, though, if I'm remembering right) and one was a dude flying a confederate on his truck down the street from me for a long time. The flag's gone, pretty sure the truck is too. Also the flag had an assault rifle on it and text that said COME AND TAKE IT.

There were some conflicts, and I'm pretty sure we didn't actually matter much in the main war, but we weren't loving confederates and also all the confederate states hate us. :colbert:

Yeah confederate flag is basically used as shorthand for "I self identify as a hick" in parts of the US that weren't confederate states. I still see them on trucks in PA all the time

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Red Baron posted:

If my formerly-racist friend were to bust that out he'd be voted off Friend Island immediately until such time as he, once again, showed genuine contrition.

This part is precisely the part I have trouble with.

Like, at some point in your life, you'll probably end up as someone's only path back- you might be their only way out of the incel/redpill/rationalist/nationalist/nazi scum lake that lies at the bottom of the internet. As long as they're still reaching out to you, you still have a way in, you still have a chance to rescue them, inch by agonising inch. And I would say that it's always worth it to try. Saving people from that hell is rewarding and useful, if not necessarily profitable. So if you're cutting someone out of your life because of their views, it better be because you don't want to deal with them- not because they don't ~*deserve*~ to be friends with you. You ain't that special, and they'll find someone to replace you who won't challenge them.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Billy Nye was so irritating as a kid and the best part about him was you could totally zone out because it was a tape. Then when I grew up I found apparently americans loved him and it was very bizarre

I found Bill bye really tedious and annoying as a kid cause his show was "here's goofy stuff and loud sound and gags!!" obnoxious child pandering but when I realized he could actually tone it down and be authentic I started to like him. But even he can come off as overly pretentious to an audience he should be trying to help "convert" to being rational at times

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Now if only there could be a History channel that isn't HITLER HITLER HITLER HITLER REALITY SHOW REALITY SHOW ALIENS HITLER

Literally my last memory of my Alzheimer's afflicted grandpa was when we were in an apartment at the beach and he was basically nonverbal and the history channel of course had a hitler program on and he lunged forward on his chair and yelled "HITLER!!!" in pure rage at the screen. Probably one of if not the last things he said so thanks to the history channel for that, and that was like 7 years ago

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

You don't need to qualify it that much. We all know how pointless it is to try to mold ideology that late in life, especially when dealing with dementia.

The internet has made me overly cautious, but I see your point.

Somfin posted:

This part is precisely the part I have trouble with.

Like, at some point in your life, you'll probably end up as someone's only path back- you might be their only way out of the incel/redpill/rationalist/nationalist/nazi scum lake that lies at the bottom of the internet. As long as they're still reaching out to you, you still have a way in, you still have a chance to rescue them, inch by agonising inch. And I would say that it's always worth it to try. Saving people from that hell is rewarding and useful, if not necessarily profitable. So if you're cutting someone out of your life because of their views, it better be because you don't want to deal with them- not because they don't ~*deserve*~ to be friends with you. You ain't that special, and they'll find someone to replace you who won't challenge them.

He'd be off the island, not out of contact. He was actively racist in an extreme way when we were in high school. We're talking he would chuck plastic water bottles (with water still in them) at random black people he saw along the side of the road as we drove places. His knowledge of racist country ditties was encyclopedic. It took our entire circle of friends a few years but we managed to lead him out from the overtly racist poo poo. He's still a Republican, but he at least got rid of the racist tattoos and stopped associating with the racist people he knew outside of our circle.

Aside from the problems he had with black people (ironically, his best friend/the person who more or less looked out for him while they grew up is completely Mexican. Go figure.) he's otherwise a good person. Bit of a drunk, light criminal record, but considering his past he's in a great place these days. I don't think he'd slide back into racism like he did in the past, but he knows that if he does everyone is going to begin trying to break him of those stupid thoughts again.

I completely understand the significance him having a "normal" circle of friends to counterbalance the poo poo circles he ran in for a while. He could have very easily been one of the Nazis at the Charlottesville protest if we had just let his behavior slide, and I certainly don't intend to begin doing that in the future.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Aesop Poprock posted:

Literally my last memory of my Alzheimer's afflicted grandpa was when we were in an apartment at the beach and he was basically nonverbal and the history channel of course had a hitler program on and he lunged forward on his chair and yelled "HITLER!!!" in pure rage at the screen. Probably one of if not the last things he said so thanks to the history channel for that, and that was like 7 years ago

I am sorry for your loss, but I love the idea of him immediately trying to find an M1 Garand to start WW2 up again.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

SpacePig posted:

I'm glad that BBC America is starting to do their own poo poo and keeping Attenborough instead of having Oprah or Siguorney Weaver talk about animals on Science channel.
Hey, Sigourney Weaver's version of Planet Earth was great :colbert:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

:hfive:

also david attenborough is a treasure and he's so passionate about his work it kills me

I have legit issues worrying about David Attenborough dying that I don't think I've experienced with any other public figure ever. He's so loving old but I think I'm legit going to cry when he dies and I don't cry very often

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

I am sorry for your loss, but I love the idea of him immediately trying to find an M1 Garand to start WW2 up again.

He actually wasn't deployed in ww2 but he trained marines during Korea and got a full military funeral with taps and everything. Then became a judge in philly who instituted juvenile reprive measures for poor kids who would have otherwise gone to jail if tried as adults. He was a good dude. I carried his coffin

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

gently caress SJWs and their ...attempts to make maths accessible to more people?

https://twitter.com/MahdDogg/status/901004505839525888

(here's the actual article which links to the position paper https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9627)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

He actually wasn't deployed in ww2 but he trained marines during Korea and got a full military funeral with taps and everything. Then became a judge in philly who instituted juvenile reprive measures for poor kids who would have otherwise gone to jail if tried as adults. He was a good dude. I carried his coffin

I didn't know they had zombie judges in Philadelphia :eyepop:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

I didn't know they had zombie judges in Philadelphia :eyepop:

I typed the first sentence before realizing I had more to add to it but he wasn't deployed and killed during Korea either cause otherwise I wouldn't be alive today

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Aesop Poprock posted:

I have legit issues worrying about David Attenborough dying that I don't think I've experienced with any other public figure ever. He's so loving old but I think I'm legit going to cry when he dies and I don't cry very often

Nobody makes (or narrates, I don't know how much role he had in producing ) nature documentaries like David Attenborough, I think when he dies they should retire the nature documentary.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I miss when SJW meant "Insane person who called you abelist for saying they weren't really married to Snape" and not "person who doesn't want me to say racial slurs"

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Nobody makes (or narrates, I don't know how much role he had in producing ) nature documentaries like David Attenborough, I think when he dies they should retire the nature documentary.

He's more or less covered everything in at least some capacity. Even the much older documentaries he did are still great to watch.

But I need them to keep making more or I won't have anything to watch when I inevitably end up eating mushrooms again. Yellowstone: Battle for Life really spoke to me, and I learned about how beavers and wolves help each other. :buddy:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Slugnoid posted:

sounds more like a trump supporter who's gone 'all in' suffering from sunk cost fallacy than a nazi - you cut them off you may as well cut off 50% of the population.

I'd like to say that the number of people who would refer to Obama as "our friend of the family president" is less than 50%, but lately...

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Who What Now posted:

I'd like to say that the number of people who would refer to Obama as "our friend of the family president" is less than 50%, but lately...

And not to give out homework, but if you have a moral obligation to dissuade any single person from a lovely point of view I would think "family" makes the short list of candidates.

Yeah, Trump will go away, but that doesn't mean his brother couldn't benefit from some course correction on his ideologies and choice of names for those with heightened pigmentation.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

:ohdear:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Red Baron posted:

And not to give out homework, but if you have a moral obligation to dissuade any single person from a lovely point of view I would think "family" makes the short list of candidates.

Yeah, Trump will go away, but that doesn't mean his brother couldn't benefit from some course correction on his ideologies and choice of names for those with heightened pigmentation.

Yeah, but "the price of having a relationship with me is you not being a shithead" is a legitimate form of persuasion in and of itself.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Many people don't have the time, energy, or mental wellness to deprogram nazis. Family can and should be judged as you would someone not related to you by blood

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
My mom is a tiny terrified woman in her mid-sixties who never met a right wing talking point she didn't immediately believe, and our continued relationship is based on making it clear that reasonable debate is possible but if she gets onto how government statistics are lies made up to hide the Muslim takeover or how everyone on welfare should be starved to death then I will end the conversation and go home.

It's not your responsibility to reeducate your dumbass relatives and it is perfectly acceptable to say "look, I love you, and I came here to see you not Steve Bannon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You should see your brother only once more

At his funeral