Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

As a Bard I love Tactician and Refresh. Like, finally, I get to do damage while running around and tossing out helpful buffs like I wanted to do all through HW! It's great!

The problem is that no one ever needs the TP because I'm the only one doing AoE on the huge trash pulls :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Leofish posted:

Sometimes I wish for a goad too, but I'm usually in groups with magic DPS.

Same as SAM, or a BRD/MCH who can give us TP recovery as a base skill. Elusive Jump being what it is makes it easier for DRGs to choose Goad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kaubocks posted:

i don't think i've ever ended a 3+ enemy fight with TP remaining and i always feel feel like an rear end in a top hat when i purposefully lag behind a little bit on the way to the next fight just to let my TP recover at least somewhat

goad ur warriors

unless dps have other real important role actions to take, i legitimately don't know, i don't play dps, i just know how impotent i feel in a fight as soon as i expend all my TP

Unless you are the only physical dps in the party and all tanks are DRK there is no excuse not to have Goad on your hotbar as a melee dps.

Maybe there's a psychological thing where people only start AoEing if they know they'll get a Goad (if so that's dumb) but I will go all out with mine any time I can hit at least three things. If we get to the boss and I'm at 0 tp while the Bard is at 1000 then gently caress that Bard.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

In the history of me tanking I think I've been shadewalkered by a pub like once.

:same: Either they don't do anything, or they Smokescreen for shits and giggles.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sadu x Magnai art is suprisingly scarce.

Magnai is a jerk and Sadu isn't much better.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Brainamp posted:

Magnai is a jerk and Sadu isn't much better.

The worst thing she did was get angry when someone rolled up and was like, "HAH you guys are a bunch of idiots", which is pretty justified. Sadu's cool, but Magnai is indeed a turd.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I swapped goad for feint during O3S progression and haven't remembered to swap it back yet

I don't usually do dungeons on dragoon though

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I'm running...Invigorate, Leg Sweep, Second Wind, True North, and Bloodbath on Monk.

It's me, I am the "honest dps"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

I love tossing out Goad because it means I get to press more buttons and I'm having fun in basic content directly proportional to how many buttons I get to press. When I'm playing alongside a BRD or WAR or PLD and their TP doesn't drop low enough for me to register to Goad them, I get sad. And I don't think I've been Goad'd since Stormblood hit. Give it back to NINs only, everyone else doesn't know wtf they're doing.

Using Goad on a fellow DPS who is running low during an AOE pull makes me feel like a total bro.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, patch trailers have always been the week before the patch. At most we'll get some previews.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

:downs:

(Sohm Al normal)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
he did, on average, more DPS than our other DPS.

But I know nothing about MCH so I can't criticize the chart

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
fire 3 make big boom and you don't have bigger boom fire 4 yet

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
At that level dungeon for mch it would just be spreadshot a bunch and put out a turret they don't really get anything else till later.

Their first ogcd attack comes at...level 54 so I guess some gauss rounds if he was 54 or synced down

(mch is very poorly designed)

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 25, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Had fun in a bardam's mettle yesterday with a bard that didn't know what songs were and only used heavy shot, straight shot, and I think the two dots once. Also had some amazing gear like the 120 ring that was melded with tenacity and a 240 healer ring.

Fakeedit: Actually had tenacity on several other pieces as well now that I think about it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Renegret posted:

(Sohm Al normal)

This hurts my soul.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Leofish posted:

When I go into a dungeon as a Samurai, I goad the poo poo out of people. I use it on every big pull I can, when it's up.

But I'm the one who always runs out of TP. I always have to invigorate on large pulls because being a steel blender is taxing. Sometimes I wish for a goad too, but I'm usually in groups with magic DPS.

From what i understand, the dungeon finder will always try to find one ranged/caster DPS and one melee so technically it's doing its job. Although it's a shame you never seem to party up with a BRD or MCH then, since they are the only ones that could possibly do anything goad-ish for you.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vil posted:

The large crowd indicates that the call's gone out on hunt linkshells/discords and people who heard it there and dropped everything have been able to make it. After that, a moderate sub-minute wait for people with slow loading times or who had to get out of combat before teleporting or something, should take care of reasonable stragglers.

For popular stuff like Ixion or Tamamo-no-Gozen (or hunts early on in the expac cycle) what I have come to accept and preach is this: When enough people show up to a hunt/fate/etc. for player models to get culled a pull is going to happen. There is no avoiding it at that point, people will see others disappear and run towards the mob so they don't miss out on the action. If you didn't get there before that, tough. Get there faster next time.

I only bother with A ranks if I see people grouping up to fight them (or see if I can solo them if they're ARR/HW :v:) and I ignore S rank calls unless they're in the zone I'm in. Dealt with all that sillyness back in ARR when they were first introduce and it was a pretty bad time. Casual hunting is the way to go.

Leofish posted:

When I go into a dungeon as a Samurai, I goad the poo poo out of people. I use it on every big pull I can, when it's up.

But I'm the one who always runs out of TP. I always have to invigorate on large pulls because being a steel blender is taxing. Sometimes I wish for a goad too, but I'm usually in groups with magic DPS.

This is why I dropped Goad on SAM. Giving the tank more TP just made them pull more and since I am a good AoE DPS person I run my tank dry every time we stop and fight. Invigorate is pretty much on CD and without Goad most tanks pull sensibly enough that I can be a blender at every stop.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i beat the hardest content in stormblood

(help how do i get down)

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Kuvo posted:

(help how do i get down)

Gravity does like 99% of the job, man. C'mon.

(Congrats)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kuvo posted:

i beat the hardest content in stormblood

(help how do i get down)

Become the very best you can be. The Ultimate Epitome of of loldrg, to Fail at Failing: Elusive jump off of it and fail to take even a single point of damage as you're teleported to the bottom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

Gravity does like 99% of the job, man. C'mon.

(Congrats)

Doesn't look like an Astrologian to me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Someone yell at me if I'm playing Samurai wrong, because I'm just about to get it to level 70 and it suddenly gets way more complicated on you after level 62.

My main issue is around using Kenki optimally. My approach is:

- Always make sure I have enough to use Kaiten on every Iaijutsu, and also to use Guren when it's off cooldown (I'm not 70 yet but that's my plan when I get it)
- Use either Shinten or Kyuten to burn points as needed to avoid hitting cap
- Use Seigan on the off chance I actually remember to use Third Eye correctly

Is that more or less right? I seem to remember someone in the thread saying ages ago that it's actually better to just spam Shinten/Kyuten as you can, but that didn't sound right to me at the time because Kaiten gives you more potency per Kenki point, if I'm doing my math right. But I forgot to ask at the time.

Also, should I be popping 3-star Hagakure every time it's off cooldown? At 40 seconds, it seems like it's off cooldown an awful lot and I end up not using my Iaijutsus as often as I was accustomed to pre-68, but if someone tells me that it's ultimately more dps to use it nonstop then I'll believe them.

Also also, in an AOE situation, should I be keeping my Jinpu buff up (even though it means doing a single target rotation when there's 4+ enemies in front of you, which *feels* wrong) or is it better to just launch straight into your AOE rotation and not bother with it?

furthermore, gently caress trying to remember the names of these abilities if you don't know japanese. it took me 5 hours to write this post

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
i had a nice day and came into the thread feeling slight enthusiasm about the game with some patches and trailers coming soon. that all changed with everybody sharing that they too play with people who don't know aoe or ogcd skills exist. the last few weeks I've been trying to come to terms with mentors or just people with multiple 70s being utterly incapable of playing this dumb game. i can't do it, i don't know how to deal with the fact that everybody playing this game has brain problems, me included.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also also, in an AOE situation, should I be keeping my Jinpu buff up (even though it means doing a single target rotation when there's 4+ enemies in front of you, which *feels* wrong) or is it better to just launch straight into your AOE rotation and not bother with it?

For aoe pulls, you can pop Meikyo(The out of order combo buff) and use Jinpu into the AOE Enders. After that It's probably not worth putting Jinpu up a second time during the AOE pull.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

Someone yell at me if I'm playing Samurai wrong, because I'm just about to get it to level 70 and it suddenly gets way more complicated on you after level 62.

Optimally you'll want to spend kenki whenever you generate 35-40, that'll leave enough in the tank for you to use an emergency movement ability (and 40 leaves enough for an on-demand Seigan.) You can only really spam kenki moves when you use Hagakure which is when it is indeed a DPS increase.

You'll generally want to save Hagakure for 3 Sen yeah. The only case I know of off the top of my head is when you're doing the 1 Sen Hagakure opener for raids/bosses because you need that extra 20 kenki to kaiten your dot and midare while also having enough to guren (in exchange you delay your next hagakure by a lot.)

For reference, that opener is: Kasha combo (for the shifu speed buff,) Hagakure, Gekko combo, kaiten'd Higanbana (for jinpu-boosted dot,) Meikyo, Yukikaze, other two sen generators, kaiten'd Midare and a Guren either before/after the Midare.

Typically in an AoE situation I'll hit something with with the slashing debuff move for that sen then launch straight into AoE's.
I do:
Yukikaze (the frost stab)
the two AoE combo's,
spend kenki on a Kyuten,
hagakure,
do another set of AoE combo's spamming Kyuten between GCD's except for before the last AoE finisher (otherwise you'll have to Fuga again to Kaiten your iiajutsu cleave)
meikyo
jinpu (by itself) Mangetsu and Oka into another cleave.

Then it's the baseline AoE combos, kaiten'd cleave until everything is dead or I'm out of TP after using invigorate and forced to use single target combos while running on fumes.

Edit: also yeah japanese ability names are annoying but you'll get used to them eventually. I actually remembered what everything was called halfway through writing this.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 26, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Renegret posted:

(Sohm Al normal)

He's roleplaying as Exdeath.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

He's roleplaying as Exdeath.

not nearly enough flare

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Finally got on Excalibur and now I'm lvl 16 woowoo

Hurry up story quest I want cool poo poo

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is that more or less right? I seem to remember someone in the thread saying ages ago that it's actually better to just spam Shinten/Kyuten as you can, but that didn't sound right to me at the time because Kaiten gives you more potency per Kenki point, if I'm doing my math right. But I forgot to ask at the time.
Use Shinten as you can, but if you're about to get a Midare or Higanbana make sure you have enough Kenki for Kaiten. At 70 you can get to 20 Kenki for Kaiten with 1 Gekko/Kasha combo. With Yukikaze you need 5 in the bank before the combo.

quote:

Also, should I be popping 3-star Hagakure every time it's off cooldown? At 40 seconds, it seems like it's off cooldown an awful lot and I end up not using my Iaijutsus as often as I was accustomed to pre-68, but if someone tells me that it's ultimately more dps to use it nonstop then I'll believe them.
Yes, Shinten spam is more potency than Midare. You get 60 Kenki from Hagakure that you can use on oGCD instead of needing a 1.7ish cast time for Midare. Use Hagakure with 3-Sen every time it is on cool down.

quote:

Meikyo->Jinpu->Oka->Mangetsu

quote:

furthermore, gently caress trying to remember the names of these abilities if you don't know japanese. it took me 5 hours to write this post
It gets a little better, but not much, I had to switch to SAM and hover over the abilities to write this post

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Holy poo poo our casual raid group finally cleared o2s, which is a retarded dance of bullshit where one person loving up can stack everyone with vuln up because SE

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For the most part I don't even refer to SAM abilities by name, I just identify them by function or icon.

Except Higanbana. Or Higg's Banana.

This is actually true for all classes. I can remember very memorable names or functions like Assize and Holy for WMH, or Gravity and Aspected Benefic for AST, but my mind draws a blank trying to name anything in DRG that isn't Phlebotemize or Geirskogul, and one of those doesn't even exist anymore.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Dear theorycrafters, we have a guy who wants to Git Gud at Warrior and wants a good rotation, can anyone write a short guide for him :kiddo:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Today I taught an exdr tank how to point giants away from the group. He fought with me about it because the cleave 'doesn't show an indicator' so I guess that means it just doesn't exist?? . :smithicide:

http://i.imgur.com/UEREl8u.gifv

Why are there so many cool attacks you never get to see

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 26, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Saint Freak posted:

Today I taught an exdr tank how to point giants away from the group. He fought with me about it because the cleave 'doesn't show an indicator' so I guess that means it just doesn't exist?? . :smithicide:

Just did a Ramuh where the other tank decided his favorite place was right next to me. I don't think there was a cleave he didn't get hit by, cause I would adjust and he would trundle right along beside me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

http://i.imgur.com/UEREl8u.gifv

Why are there so many cool attacks you never get to see

You can see that one. You just have to sacrifice your greased lightning stacks to it. You see it a long more in PvP because using those resources up is part of the burst. Bringing that muscle memory back to PvE is painful indeed.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I just realized the Arrhidaeus mount is a dickbuttbot. :shepface:

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 26, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Jimbot posted:

You can see that one. You just have to sacrifice your greased lightning stacks to it. You see it a long more in PvP because using those resources up is part of the burst. Bringing that muscle memory back to PvE is painful indeed.

Like most skills I don't see all of it because I'm already mashing mediation or something though.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Also everyone should go into o3s blind just once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Dying horribly to Spellblade Holy is a time honored tradition of both the first pulls and BUT MY OPENERRRRRRRRRRRRR.