Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Inferior Third Season posted:

I live in Europe, and I've been hearing about the hurricane on its way to drown Texas for nearly a week.

i could be misremembering, but i recall cnn being a livestream of trump for the last week, with coverage of the hurricane only breaking in as the threat became imminent.

anyone stateside remember coverage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Houston is dying and the orange monkey is tweeting about the wall.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/rachaelgleason/status/901789165301493760

Every red dot is flooding every yellow warning is about to.

You can update yourself here (click channel status)
https://www.harriscountyfws.org/

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Don't get me started on "hard road to hoe".

I like this derail alot!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Prester Jane posted:

You sweet summer child. Trump is a clinical narcissist who is literally addicted to adulation. Trump will make this situation about himself, hamper/impair any serious response, and then blame the Deep State for intentionally sabotaging the response to make him look bad.

Oh sure, sorry. I wasn't clear. I don't think he's going to do a good job, but I think he'll manage the appearance of a good job enough that a solid chunk of people will come away thinking he's not so bad.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I like this derail alot!

You guys should reign this poo poo in.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Unkempt posted:

You guys should reign this poo poo in.

Are you talking about the thread derails or the Trump administration?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Coffins coming out of the ground in Houston. :catstare:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Unkempt posted:

You guys should reignrain this poo poo in.

You had one job.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/margarita/status/901816452558319617

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

This is very likely the end of Houston as a major metropolitan area and hub of commerce (at the very least it is a several years pause in that), and its is going to deal a massive blow to the American economy once the reality of how much of our domestic oil production has been destroyed finally sets in.

Let's not read too much into this. Houston has catastrophic flooding every few years. Very often, the flood waters literally burst into flames. It keeps going, because the industries are insured, and most of the infrastructure remains intact during the flooding. It is cheaper to rebuild from any individual catastrophe than it is to move somewhere else.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Prester Jane posted:

You sweet summer child. Trump is a clinical narcissist who is literally addicted to adulation. Trump will make this situation about himself, hamper/impair any serious response, and then blame the Deep State for intentionally sabotaging the response to make him look bad.

Make no mistake, even Obama would be incredibly hard pressed to handle this situation competently. Texas has spent the past 30 years slowly starving all of its non-vital infrastructure of funds and outside of the areas that commerce depends on heavily everything in Texas is running at a fractional capacity. Massively complicating this is the idiotic libertarians running many Texas localities that have no psychological capacity for dealing with an actual disaster, resulting in evacuation orders not being issued and many more people being trapped in the disaster area than really should be. On top of all that Texas has absurdly loose regulations w/r/t oil production and many of those oil facilities are in no way capable of handling this- there will be areas where the flood waters are turned into toxic (and potentially flammable) sludge by massive leaks of petroleum products.

This is very likely the end of Houston as a major metropolitan area and hub of commerce (at the very least it is a several years pause in that), and its is going to deal a massive blow to the American economy once the reality of how much of our domestic oil production has been destroyed finally sets in.

Oh god gently caress, you're right, I hadn't thought at all about the oil refineries. They're all there aren't they?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Will the death toll be a lot higher than the 8 confirmed so far? I'm having a really hard time determining whether this event is monumentally more catastrophic than other hurricane hits against major cities.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

NmareBfly posted:

Oh sure, sorry. I wasn't clear. I don't think he's going to do a good job, but I think he'll manage the appearance of a good job enough that a solid chunk of people will come away thinking he's not so bad.

My bad on misinterpreting you- you do raise an interesting question though. How much of his radicalized base will support his coming failure no matter what, and how many of those people will become violent in response to the perceived sabotage by the Deep State?

God this whole thing is terrible. I hope I'm wrong and FEMA manages a marvelous response despite Trump and the assorted obstacles they face.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

WrenP-Complete posted:

Reminder: https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/25/officials-send-texans-mixed-messages-hurricane-evacuations/

Ahead of Hurricane Harvey, officials send Texans mixed messages on evacuations

I think part of it is that I am pretty sure you can't evacuate something the size of Houston via car., and that's not counting a lot of the smaller coastal cities, too...
though overall, this sort of stuff is really where our decentralized hands-off style of government is at its worst.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I don't think this is going to be any earth-shattering catastrophe that ends the Trump Administration; they'll muddle through, lots of journalists will mutter about how the preparation/response could have been better and that poor regulation exacerbated stuff but without drowning people on the news every night for a week, the American people will shrug and move on.

Then in six months gas prices are $4 a gallon and serious poo poo hits the fan.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Some sample reporting on the recovery after things like Ike and Allison

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/18/news/economy/hurricane_aftermath/?postversion=2008091812

https://www.icis.com/resources/news/2001/06/18/140931/tropical-storm-snarls-texas-and-louisiana-facilities/

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

WrenP-Complete posted:

Coffins coming out of the ground in Houston. :catstare:

rain walkers

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

business hammocks posted:

Will the death toll be a lot higher than the 8 confirmed so far? I'm having a really hard time determining whether this event is monumentally more catastrophic than other hurricane hits against major cities.

8 dead as I understand it is the semi-barren island about five miles out from corpus Christi. I haven't heard of any authoritative accounts regarding Houston yet.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Trump is already shifting blame on nature, by saying this is the worst hurricane ever, just the biggest. He almost sounds happy on his tweets!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

good thing the rain is stopping and not staying heavy for another 3-4 days :toot:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

My bad on misinterpreting you- you do raise an interesting question though. How much of his radicalized base will support his coming failure no matter what, and how many of those people will become violent in response to the perceived sabotage by the Deep State?

God this whole thing is terrible. I hope I'm wrong and FEMA manages a marvelous response despite Trump and the assorted obstacles they face.

If you search facebook for responses to Gorka's firing, a lot of them complain about the Deep State making a move against Trump and express genuine concern that the government is in the control of a secret conspiracy. I had no idea there were so many people who believed such lunatic poo poo. Something big is going to have to happen to shake us out of this.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

nerdz posted:

Trump is already shifting blame on nature, by saying this is the worst hurricane ever, just the biggest. He almost sounds happy on his tweets!

He can relate to a big, lovely, destructive force that also brought liquid where it wasn't supposed to.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

nerdz posted:

Well, he is. He wants to be the biggest bestest authority in charge, and being able to say his administration dealt with the worst storm to ever hit the country will let him feed for years.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

good thing the rain is stopping and not staying heavy for another 3-4 days :toot:

Flood waters don't crest when the rain stops either, iirc it can take up to a week.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Don't get me started on "hard road to hoe".

You mean it's not "hard road to whore"?

Huh, that one always made so much sense to me too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skeleton warrior posted:

Well, he is. He wants to be the biggest bestest authority in charge, and being able to say his administration dealt with the worst storm to ever hit the country will let him feed for years.

There is also very real potential here for Trump to slap down opponents. All he needs is a couple of people getting overzealous in their trump blame and he can accuse the left of trying to capitalize on disaster to score points.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is also very real potential here for Trump to slap down opponents. All he needs is a couple of people getting overzealous in their trump blame and he can accuse the left of trying to capitalize on disaster to score points.

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/901792253643038720

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Zoning laws are virtually never used for this purpose because when that's the political goal you can just not have any zoning regs. In the absence of zoning laws, developers almost universally create low-density suburban and non-mixed use commercial, along with monstrously inefficient crud like service road systems. Even when a developer goes for higher density construction, ad hoc NIMBY opposition is what sinks it, not zoning laws.

Zoning is often used to prevent high density development.
Have you heard of a city called San Francisco?

'cause a huge part of its problem is that buildings are limited by height in most of the city so they're unable to "build up" to meet demand. And since it is surrounded by ocean they can't build out either.

It is very common for community groups who want to stop a project of high density development to get the zoning of an area changed to prevent it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hurricanes are bad and dangerous and cause massive property damage but they are often on the fairly low end for deaths. Since they tend not to be very sudden. One that covers an area with millions of people will usually be a few hundred people dead. Which is each a human life and shouldn't be minimized, but is a lot lower than other major natural disasters. Like tornados last a few minutes in a small area and can kill hundreds of people.

The death toll will be more than 8 but it's not going to climb into the thousands like some other types of disasters (probably)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

farraday posted:

Flood waters don't crest when the rain stops either, iirc it can take up to a week.

Yup. Up here in Austin the flood waters will crest and recede pretty fast due to the fact we're on the edge of the rain. But at the same time the massive amount of water that's being dumped here, and San Antonio and EVERYWHERE North West of the coast has to filter down through the coastal areas and out to sea. Those coastal areas aren't just getting the water that was dropped on them, they're going to be getting the vast majority of what was dropped "above" them as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

happyhippy posted:

Waiting for Trump to sign an order to stop the number of the dead from being released to the public.
Or being talked about at all.

He's going to continue to insist that his big, beautiful help saved Texas from the biggest, nastiest, worst storm in the history of ever. Refusing to acknowledge any failings and crying Fake News at anything that doesn't say he did the best job of any President ever in tweeting at a hurricane.

Simultaneously he's going to blame all the bad things on Obama and the Texas State and Local governments. The Great Orange Leader did not fail, he was failed. He did a wonderful, spectacular, bigly job, and we should all sing his praises while we curse the name of Obama and his Texas cronies. Like lyin' Ted, his assassin father, his ugly wife, and his single handed undermining of Trump.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

nerdz posted:

The 39 people Hurricane Andrew killed (and which I survived) say t:mad: to that.

Donnie can barely get low-energy "just a lot of rain" hurricanes to make landfall. Sad!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gyges posted:

He's going to continue to insist that his big, beautiful help saved Texas from the biggest, nastiest, worst storm in the history of ever. Refusing to acknowledge any failings and crying Fake News at anything that doesn't say he did the best job of any President ever in tweeting at a hurricane.

Simultaneously he's going to blame all the bad things on Obama and the Texas State and Local governments. The Great Orange Leader did not fail, he was failed. He did a wonderful, spectacular, bigly job, and we should all sing his praises while we curse the name of Obama and his Texas cronies. Like lyin' Ted, his assassin father, his ugly wife, and his single handed undermining of Trump.

This is 100% what I expect. There are so many parties in play that it's going to be ludicrously easy to point the finger at someone else to take the blame for every wrong thing, and take full credit for every one that works out well. Maybe he'll even get a photo op where Navy 1 (that's the presidential helicopter, right?) rescues someone from a roof.

Edit: I guess what annoys me is that this is going to be a big enough disaster that it'll hit the radar of 'I don't pay attention to politics' people. If they pay attention now and see Trump doing Presidential Things then they're going to come away with the memory of 'well he really swooped in for Houston!' and gloss over everything else. We'll see!

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 27, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Xae posted:

Zoning is often used to prevent high density development.
Have you heard of a city called San Francisco?

'cause a huge part of its problem is that buildings are limited by height in most of the city so they're unable to "build up" to meet demand. And since it is surrounded by ocean they can't build out either.

I have indeed heard of San Francisco! San Francisco is not representative of...well, pretty much anywhere else in the world, but particularly of zoning laws as a disincentive for high density development outside of CA. Its government, geography and distribution of resources is too different. Even there, though, the solution would not be "no zoning laws".

Xae posted:

It is very common for community groups who want to stop a project of high density development to get the zoning of an area changed to prevent it.

That would be the "ad hoc NIMBY obstruction" I referred to, a site-specific zoning deviation.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 27, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

The 39 people Hurricane Andrew killed (and which I survived) say t:mad: to that.

Donnie can barely get low-energy "just a lot of rain" hurricanes to make landfall. Sad!

Lol child.

I survived Hugo when it hit loving Charlotte.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

If you search facebook for responses to Gorka's firing, a lot of them complain about the Deep State making a move against Trump and express genuine concern that the government is in the control of a secret conspiracy. I had no idea there were so many people who believed such lunatic poo poo. Something big is going to have to happen to shake us out of this.

It's all bots or people who don't see anything but bots in their feed that are responding like that.

We couldn't just pay a yearly $5 fee to use Facebook, nope there had to be advertisements. There's no incentive for social media companies to kill fake bot accounts when they can count them as users.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
1https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/901830662675628032
1a https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/901830330319024129
1b https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/901831975639453696
1c https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/901832588704309249
1d https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/901831204080685056
2https://twitter.com/postdienst41/status/901825836617277440
3https://twitter.com/AP/status/901829412706021376
4https://twitter.com/laurenhtexas/status/901826201047760896
5https://twitter.com/owillis/status/901805101916016640
6https://twitter.com/ABC/status/901827825585471489
7https://twitter.com/IlseMonette/status/901788924246360064
8https://twitter.com/BillBishopKHOU/status/901816013863473152
9https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/901813531821178880
10https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/901820428456484864
11https://twitter.com/KPRC2Sara/status/901802530597986305
12https://twitter.com/mannyNYT/status/901491794084597760
13https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/901819257343938561
14https://twitter.com/esoltas/status/901481129680809984
15https://twitter.com/DividendsMGR/status/901814414151692289
16https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/901810565072465922
17https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/901825767511920640
18https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/901826700287365122
19https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/901782823522185218
20https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/901825427118936064
21https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/901822630923259904
22https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/901821451665334272
23https://twitter.com/NYCAntifa/status/901637410035036162
24https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/901585678210707457
25https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/901829880790355970
26https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/901624157661749249
27https://twitter.com/leboism/status/901285409665282048
28https://i.imgur.com/LavGPNL.gifv

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 27, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Offing his family before blowing his own brains out is the only thing Trump could 'do' at this point that I could give one poo poo about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I know this is the trump thread so it's best to discuss news in trump terms but katrina is pretty much the only case in all of US history of a hurricane having major effect on presidential approval ratings, one way or the other. so no one should really worry about or hope for this being any sort of big impact on effecting trump's image.

• Locked thread