Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

botany posted:

uh crowd-sourcing rescue vehicles does not look like good preparation :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/ReadyHarris/status/901853696979587073

You're not necessarily wrong, but officials requesting that civilians who are already engaging in emergency response get in touch to coordinate is a good idea and fairly common. My brother and his wife live in California and they both got HAM operators licenses so they can help coordinate during large scale emergencies.

mutata fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Cingulate posted:

So is there an upside? Is Texas in 2017 better prepared than New Orleans was in 05? Is the landscape different? I can't imagine it will be as bad as Katrina.

Experts are saying it's going to be much worse. I understand it's hard to imagine. Don't know what to say about upsides. :(

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

9/11
Katrina
and now Harvey

All in my lifetime. With global warming and an utter lack of faith in any level of government things are only going to keep getting worse. I've thought this before in passing but now I'm really starting to think it really is immoral to bring kids into the world now.

We're hosed

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

WrenP-Complete posted:

Experts are saying it's going to be much worse. I understand it's hard to imagine. Don't know what to say about upsides. :(

Upside is there probably won't be a second hurricane that smashes into Houston immediately after Harvey dies?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Prester Jane posted:

God this whole thing is terrible. I hope I'm wrong and FEMA manages a marvelous response despite Trump and the assorted obstacles they face.

I'm working as a part of a fed agency w/ FEMA on the response. One thing we're working on is on assessing oil leaks/spills FYI.

It's the same people as have been for years past. Ultimately it's a mix of funding and local agency working with FEMA in how recovery ops go. Rebuilding, insurance, economic, and environmental impact - well, that's beyond the scope of the urgent response.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit:nvm

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hurricanes do not work that way?

People already pointed out that hurricanes recharge, but I am struggling to find one that has gone back out to sea, recharged, and then went for a second rampage right where it had come from. A more typical recharge would be something like skimming over some stuff in the Caribbean, a glancing blow in Florida, and then final landfall. Katrina was like that. I don't know of any hurricanes that went all, "Hey bro I heard you liked water so I went back to the ocean to get some water for your water!"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shukaro posted:

Upside is there probably won't be a second hurricane that smashes into Houston immediately after Harvey dies?

It's possible that Harvey smashes into Houston immediately after Harvey leaves.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Captain Monkey posted:

You are falling for hyperbole. I'm currently in downtown Houston, its seriously bad and it will be much worse, but its a flooding disaster. Humans have been dealing with those since we started farming.

Whats your plan for supporting the daily needs of 2.35 million people without roads?

Also you are making a rather odd argument considering that humans have been abandoning major cities because of floods since we started farming as well......

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Just heard from my friend in Katy: they've still got power & haven't seen any atypical flooding in their neighborhood

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

just think positive!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Waffles Inc. posted:

9/11
Katrina
and now Harvey

All in my lifetime. With global warming and an utter lack of faith in any level of government things are only going to keep getting worse. I've thought this before in passing but now I'm really starting to think it really is immoral to bring kids into the world now.

We're hosed

Those were drat near insignificant compared to events like the 2010 Haiti earthquake the 2004 Indian ocean earthquake/tsunami. Horrible poo poo is always happening.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Seriously will there ever be a point where he will shut up about his election win. Why does that matter so much to him?

It's his only real accomplishment.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

AceOfFlames posted:

Yup. This is also why I can't fathom why everyone is into healthy eating. I'm HOPING I die of cancer before the civilization collapse.

While you're all going Mad Max over the last bottle of la croix I'll be watching smugly from the afterlife, arteries spackled shut by McDonald's special sauce.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Just heard from my friend in Katy: they've still got power & haven't seen any atypical flooding in their neighborhood

Thank goodness your friend is okay.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

fishing with the fam posted:

Those were drat near insignificant compared to events like the 2010 Haiti earthquake the 2004 Indian ocean earthquake/tsunami. Horrible poo poo is always happening.

Yup. We just hear about it in HD now, rather than a blurb in the international news section of the paper like we'd gave had in the 1990's.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Well yeah, throw that on top too

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Captain Monkey posted:

You are falling for hyperbole. I'm currently in downtown Houston, its seriously bad and it will be much worse, but its a flooding disaster. Humans have been dealing with those since we started farming.

humanity survived the great deluge which was deliberately sent by g*d to destroy all life on earth, i think we can handle lil harvey

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/shinynichols2/status/901828622994083840

https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/901829696672980992

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

People already pointed out that hurricanes recharge, but I am struggling to find one that has gone back out to sea, recharged, and then went for a second rampage right where it had come from. A more typical recharge would be something like skimming over some stuff in the Caribbean, a glancing blow in Florida, and then final landfall. Katrina was like that. I don't know of any hurricanes that went all, "Hey bro I heard you liked water so I went back to the ocean to get some water for your water!"

Faye in 2008 did this to East Central Florida.

Hurricanes are huge things that don't have to hit land at the exact same place to cause a double impact to an area. Harvey didn't even make landfall at Houston, the current tracking shows it might simply come back for a second pass at the area.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

guidoanselmi posted:

I'm working as a part of a fed agency w/ FEMA on the response. One thing we're working on is on assessing oil leaks/spills FYI.

It's the same people as have been for years past. Ultimately it's a mix of funding and local agency working with FEMA in how recovery ops go. Rebuilding, insurance, economic, and environmental impact - well, that's beyond the scope of the urgent response.

Godspeed, the American people are with you and yours today.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kinda expecting to see a gator boat putzing along

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

9/11
Katrina
and now Harvey

We're hosed

Just remember that we're a 1st world country; imagine what climate change will do to the more impoverished countries.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffles Inc. posted:

Well yeah, throw that on top too
Bottom line is, it's really hard for a society in the 1st world to experience something as bad as what you can experience in the 3rd world. Even when you factor in tragic disasters like this one. Not much of a consolidation for Texans drowning right now I assume, but if you're not directly affected, that's still the facts.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

I'm waiting for the inevitable day when everyone learns what induced seismicity is because of fracking. That poo poo is going to cause something really bad. Earthquakes that kill tens of thousands are bad enough but apparently humanity is itching one up nature.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

well no im sure that part of mexico just SW of corpus christi is fine, because i never saw them mentioned on the news even once

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Being stationed in San Antonio and having driven through Houston, they should have called for an evacuation days before Harvey hit, but lol their gov't in TX is poo poo so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Calibanibal posted:

humanity survived the great deluge which was deliberately sent by g*d to destroy all life on earth, i think we can handle lil harvey

This is exactly the sort of flooding event that would have inspired the original great flood myth, by the way, although given where it probably originated, it probably wasn't a hurricane. But we're talking similar cataclysmic levels of water somewhere it isn't supposed to be.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Nebalebadingdong posted:

just think positive!

I can't wait to see the Branco on how its a good thing the feds cut funding for flood insurance just in time for Harvey.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BadOptics posted:

Being stationed in San Antonio and having driven through Houston, they should have called for an evacuation days before Harvey hit, but lol their gov't in TX is poo poo so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's the most damning takeaway. Anyone who's lived in South Texas knows what happens when it rains too hard.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Nebalebadingdong posted:

just think positive!

Christ I forgot how much of a reprehensible excuse for a human being Asay was. I'm glad he's dead.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Calibanibal posted:

well no im sure that part of mexico just SW of corpus christi is fine, because i never saw them mentioned on the news even once

Corpus Christi's a good 150+ miles away from the border and it's on the southern edge of the storm to begin with. Mexico hasn't been hit too hard.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/KeeganNYC/status/901093723932590080

not something about the hurricane, but this made me mad. if it was ever implemented there would be actual riots in the street

What is this hard on with getting undocumented immigrants out? What did they do to Trump? Seriously, this is stupidly, I humanely excessive.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hastings posted:

What is this hard on with getting undocumented immigrants out? What did they do to Trump? Seriously, this is stupidly, I humanely excessive.

They aren't white and there is a legal excuse to kick them out of the country. That's all there is to it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cingulate posted:

Bottom line is, it's really hard for a society in the 1st world to experience something as bad as what you can experience in the 3rd world. Even when you factor in tragic disasters like this one. Not much of a consolidation for Texans drowning right now I assume, but if you're not directly affected, that's still the facts.

There are old and infirm in the 1st world too, you know. The people who can't really take care of themselves, but still make do with the best that they can.

I am literally trying to find anyway I can to get to the medical center so I can help out at work. Just because we do live in a 1st world country, doesn't mean that people aren't dying or suffering because of it all the same.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hastings posted:

They aren't white and Trump's base likes it when he hurts brown people.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hastings posted:

The fundamental tenet of the Narrativist worldview is that all problems are fixed by violently purging undesirables from society that is quite literally all there is too it. Conservatives think that in order to MAGA they have to rid society of the impure by any means necessary.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hastings posted:

What is this hard on with getting undocumented immigrants out? What did they do to Trump?

Are you kidding me? They're the perfect "other" enemy to blame everything on, as you'll literally never get rid of all of them. The GOP has been dog whistling about immigrants forever, now Trump realized what the crazy base wants is just a bullhorn blaring "The immigrants are the cause of all your problems" constantly.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Cingulate posted:

I'm glad you're willing to concede that life in Mombasa may not, in fact, be a fate worse than death. Otherwise this would be morally horrific faux-progressivism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
If you want extra warm fuzzies over this texas disaster, reflect on exactly what's floating around in that floodwater from a disease standpoint.

• Locked thread