Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Oh man, I just got the "upgrade" email from VZW even though my number is ported, such bullshit they don't even mention the throttling in small print.

Half of it is crowing about their privacy invasion scheme masquerading as an incentive program.

Emphasis mine. You say this literally the same day you tell everyone 720p is good enough, nearly word for word.

Wait are they proactively changing people to the new plans without consent? That would be unprecedented if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Wait are they proactively changing people to the new plans without consent? That would be unprecedented if so

Yes, they are.

In reality, they are throttling video on all plans, even legacy unlimited, so it basically boils down to a name change.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I don't think you get changed over to the new plan (name and pricing wise at least) but they "upgrade" you to the same features as the beyond unlimited plan. That's 5gig more hotspot and video throttling being the only differences.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Yes, they are.

In reality, they are throttling video on all plans, even legacy unlimited, so it basically boils down to a name change.

They aren't changing the plan rates for people who have the old plan. If you have the older unlimited plan and want to add a line, it's still $20 , same structure.

So price wise, not just a name price. Feature wise, throttling, yeah that's for all and that blows.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Duckman2008 posted:

New beyond plans:
No base rate.
2 phones is $80 each, so it's $80 + $80 = $160
3 phones is $60 each, so $60 + $60 + $60 = $180.

So both scenarios it's "$20 to add line," but the man is different on both to get there.

Does this mean at least that employer discounts can now be applied to 100% of the bill? That's the only thing that could potentially make the new plan competitive with my old grandfathered metered plan.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

T-Mobile's account site is throwing random high traffic errors tonight.

I think Verizon dun hosed up big time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's not much in the way of alternatives, here in Nebraska...

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Lol no one cares man. Seriously. I don't think I ever notice that the quality of my streaming video unless it doesn't work

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

There's not much in the way of alternatives, here in Nebraska...

I'm in Nebraska, Project Fi is available.

I don't think I'll be switching to Verizon any time soon. Currently trying to talk my SO out of thinking it's a perfect idea to have me on his plan.

It'd be weird as poo poo if Google did something like this on their own MVNO..

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Lol no one cares man. Seriously. I don't think I ever notice that the quality of my streaming video unless it doesn't work

I think that yes, people actually do care. This has been getting massive amounts of negative press and I'm seeing people mention it that have literally never mentioned anything technical before.

Next quarter's subscriber numbers are going to be really interesting.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm in Nebraska, Project Fi is available.

I don't think I'll be switching to Verizon any time soon. Currently trying to talk my SO out of thinking it's a perfect idea to have me on his plan.

It'd be weird as poo poo if Google did something like this on their own MVNO..

You can't activate Fi in Nebraska.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You can't activate Fi in Nebraska.

Yes you can, I did that as soon as I could when I noticed that the 402 area code works.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes you can, I did that as soon as I could when I noticed that the 402 area code works.

... When did that change? Iirc, you could only activate in areas serviced by t mobile.

I use too much data to go to fi, but this is still news to me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

... When did that change? Iirc, you could only activate in areas serviced by t mobile.

I use too much data to go to fi, but this is still news to me.

Since last December, it happened after Fi started using US Cellular too. I'm usually on Sprint and US Cellular, but T-Mobile pops up here and there.

Also T-Mobile has started showing up in Grand Island.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ThermoPhysical posted:

Since last December, it happened after Fi started using US Cellular too. I'm usually on Sprint and US Cellular, but T-Mobile pops up here and there.

Also T-Mobile has started showing up in Grand Island.

Iirc, I was doing my research after they added US Cellular. They just weren't able to handle activations on the Sprint and USC networks. T Mobile didn't operate in 402, so you couldn't activate a 402 number. I'll have to check my post history in the Fi thread...

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/Omaha/comments/5ibdcc/looks_like_project_fi_works_with_402_numbers_now/

Huh. Interesting.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 24, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*Doesn't like video throttling*

*Changes to carrier that throttles video*

?????

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stutes posted:

Does this mean at least that employer discounts can now be applied to 100% of the bill? That's the only thing that could potentially make the new plan competitive with my old grandfathered metered plan.

Lol No of course no carrier discount. It's just a higher plan (or less features), really that's it at the end of the day.

Verizon is saying that the cheaper unlimited plan doesn't get reprioritized until after 22GB as well. Who knows.

Honestly, for most customers it's just business as usual. Believe it or not, most customers don't read tech news. I didn't have one person ask for it today. So far, the 16GB and 24GB shared plans are still in the system, as long as those are there there are at least alternatives.

bull3964 posted:

Jesus Christ dude, breath.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

?????

Yeah, looking at T-Mobile today, their plans by default are 480 video, 3G data speeds, requires autopay, etc. $10 extra per line to get 10GB hotspot and "HD video" (I assume 720 or 1080). You can mix and match which lines pay the $10, which is better than the Verizon options.

Personally, 4 years ago plans were super high (all 4 carriers). Then T-Mobile did their thing, over the next few years prices dropped like crazy. Over the last year, I feel like at least 3 of the 4 (I've given up understanding Sprint) have slowly been raising prices. T-Mobile is still the cheapest, but I feel like all the carriers are trying to squeeze a little bit more out of their customers recently.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

?????

I think you completely missed the point.

Back in Feb, if Verizon would have said "We're bringing back unlimited but video is throttled to 720p" most people would have grumbled, but it wouldn't have been a huge blowup.

Instead, Verizon marketed on the fact that their plans were simple and there were no restrictions on use beyond de-prioritization above 22gb and reaped pretty good subscriber growth because of it. Most of those subscribers likely went on a device payment plan.

Then, with 24 hours notice, they change the terms of service to something more restrictive. It's bait and switch. They pulled in a bunch of subs, got them hooked on payment plans, and then yanked the rug out from under them. It's blatantly scummy behavior even for Verizon.

Besides ALL of that, I have not seen any numbers to support that "HD Video" as you can get on T-Mobile and ATT is throttled. Even if it is though, they didn't promise that it wasn't touched at all and then turn around 5 minutes later and say "just kidding."

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

DangerZoneDelux posted:

What about the bill going up hundreds of dollars?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol No of course no carrier discount.
Hey are you sure about that? Because the web site in the FAQ section says discounts apply to unlimited and beyond unlimited, but it’s a little unclear whether they’re talking about just military discounts or military and employee discounts.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol No of course no carrier discount. It's just a higher plan (or less features), really that's it at the end of the day.

Verizon is saying that the cheaper unlimited plan doesn't get reprioritized until after 22GB as well. Who knows.

Honestly, for most customers it's just business as usual. Believe it or not, most customers don't read tech news. I didn't have one person ask for it today. So far, the 16GB and 24GB shared plans are still in the system, as long as those are there there are at least alternatives.

Jesus Christ dude, breath.

The 16GB and 24GB shared plans are still available?! Do I have to call to switch to them? I don't see them as an option on the website.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stutes posted:

I just checked on the Verizon site and it's showing no employee discounts at all are applied for the new plans. Maybe the employer needs a new contract or there just are no discounts?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

AdmiralViscen posted:

What about the bill going up hundreds of dollars?

You think people's bills are going up hundreds of dollars?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hey are you sure about that? Because the web site in the FAQ section says discounts apply to unlimited and beyond unlimited, but it’s a little unclear whether they’re talking about just military discounts or military and employee discounts.

Only military discount applies. The military discount is a flat $15 off on the unlimited plans (which was about what it was anyway).

tonic posted:

The 16GB and 24GB shared plans are still available?! Do I have to call to switch to them? I don't see them as an option on the website.

They are not on the website. Call or go to a store. Mileage will vary, reps are certainly not obligated to set them up, and Verizon isn't exactly encouraging them.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Exactly. People who had 5-10 lines would see a big jump, but for better or worse it's $20 more a month for 4 lines on the higher plan, and Verizon is limiting the same features others are. Customers aren't going to revolt.

Honestly, I'm not a fan, but the solution isn't with carriers, and you can't vote with your wallet if they all do the same thing. So really, the only solution is either writing to the FCC, and with them being run by horrible people, voting. Or giving up on America.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

bull3964 posted:

Oh man, I just got the "upgrade" email from VZW even though my number is ported, such bullshit they don't even mention the throttling in small print.

Half of it is crowing about their privacy invasion scheme masquerading as an incentive program.

Emphasis mine. You say this literally the same day you tell everyone 720p is good enough, nearly word for word.

I don't think I am even getting 720. I have an iPhone and the YouTube video is so blocky it looks like it's now 480 or less!

So yeah this is highly noticeable if you're watching a video that was filmed for 1080 or higher.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You can't read one day's worth of posts?

AdmiralViscen posted:

These plans are also substantially more expensive than the "old" (from 6 months ago) unlimited plan, no?

It used to be $100 base access then $20 per line. So two lines was $140, three $160, four $180. For ten it is $300.

That chart says that for Beyond, two lines is $160, three lines is $180, and four is $200. Ten would be an egregious $500?!

Without autopay you were penalized a flat $10 in the old plan, but for this one it is $5 per line. So after two lines this is also way worse. For ten lines the old (6 whole months) plan would have been $310, but this one would be $550.

This is insane, right? Am I missing something?

Duckman2008 posted:

I just realized the math gets ugly when you get beyond 5 lines.

Example: 6 lines.

Old unlimited
Base: $100
6 lines: $20 * 6 = $20
Total: $220

New beyond unlimited
6 lines: $50 * 6 = $300

So yeah, that's a big difference there. Considering it's $50 a line instead of $20, it's $30 more per line once you hit line 5.

The old plans were still more expensive than other alternatives, this is a massive spike. Yes, I think new signups will be severely impacted. And anyone who's on a tiered plan with 5+ lines who wants to move up is going to have a strong incentive to shop around.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 24, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three-Phase posted:

I don't think I am even getting 720. I have an iPhone and the YouTube video is so blocky it looks like it's now 480 or less!

So yeah this is highly noticeable if you're watching a video that was filmed for 1080 or higher.

The issue is in the implemention. They are imposing a hard throughput cap on video streams no matter the source so the source is going to react as if you have a lovely connection. Since it doesn't appear to be intelligent in any way and align that cap with what a source delivers, I can only imagine there are knock on effects.

Framerate can have an effect too. 60fps can requires a higher bandwidth connection than 24/25/30.

Different sources have different encodes. You might need a minimum of 2.5mbps for 720p YouTube, Netflix may only need 2.2.

Bitrate and resolutions can overlap too in transition areas. High bitrate 480p can look better than low bitrate 720p due to atifacts. Same with the transition boundry between 1080p and 720p.

The only real metric we know is that tethering video streams are limited to 10mbps which should be enough for most services. Most. Vudu HDX 1080p streams are between 9.5 and 20 Mbps. So, 10mbps is going to be riding that boundry. It will pop up to HDX quality on low bitrate scenes and then have to transition down to HD for high bitrate streams. I don't even think Vudu has 720p encodes so the bandwidth limitation on mobile might force you to the 480p stream regardless of the tier you are on.

We don't know what bitrate Verizon is capping mobile at. All that can be hoped for is that they chose wisely, but it may screw things up quite a bit depending on source.

720p is an odd choice though. That tells me they are likely throttling video to about 2.5 or 3mbps on mobile. No content provider is targeting HD to customers with that sort of bandwidth, it just doesn't make sense to.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 24, 2017

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Good timing!

I just switched back to evil VZN last month after 3 years with T-mobile (had a 6G/month plan for $65) as the costs with the new VZN plans (and company discount) got me basically the same thing for $10/mo cheaper. I only need about 2-5g per month so with the banking I should be okay for now on this plan.

NEW VERIZON SINGLE SMRTPHN 5GB................. $51.20

It's also nice getting coverage again in the Norcal foothills outside of Sacramento where I play golf. I had no problems with T-Mobile at all except for the occasional coverage area issues and working like crap in the high rise buildings in Oakland I am at every week (had a Nexus 6p for the last year+ if that matters.) They also had great customer service and kicked me down the home range extenders for free with no bullshit (VZN charges $250 for them or apparently a small discount if you spend an hour on the phone and factory reset your phone, etc with them). T-Mobile was definitely faster per the tests if you were right by a major highway, they were the same or usually worse when away from one though.

I bought my iPhone 7 right from Apple so only month-to-month with VZN in case I want to tell them to bugger off again.

I just tried some Netflix videos and couldn't tell the difference in quality on this phone between Wifi and LTE.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Edit: the 5GB single plan is still offered. So is the 2GB, 4GB and 8GB family plans. The 16GB and 24GB mileage may vary.

AdmiralViscen posted:

plans were still more expensive than other alternatives, this is a massive spike. Yes, I think new signups will be severely impacted. And anyone who's on a tiered plan with 5+ lines who wants to move up is going to have a strong incentive to shop around.

Exactly, 5+ lines is essentially what Verizon is going away from incentivizing I guess.

Some new customers will be discouraged, but a lot of customers you just ask "do you want mobile hotspot," and a good number will probably say "no I don't use that."

bull3964 posted:

We don't know what bitrate Verizon is capping mobile at. All that can be hoped for is that they chose wisely, but it may screw things up quite a bit depending on source.

Verizon rarely chooses wisely. And certainly will always err on the side of what's better for the network.

I guess the main wild card is whether streaming services will take the time to update their servers (or whatever, this isn't my area of expertise) to have their stuff run better with Verizon's new policies.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 24, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
what's the best way to get a cell phone booster without paying for one? Verizon drops a lot in our house and my wife's always dropping calls

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

mastershakeman posted:

what's the best way to get a cell phone booster without paying for one? Verizon drops a lot in our house and my wife's always dropping calls

Enable wifi calling if your device supports it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Wifi calling works well, but if you really ant a micro cell you can call and try and threaten to cancel. Mileage def will vary.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

?????

I don't know what you can do on the new Tmobile plans, but I have a legacy unlimited and I can turn off the "binge on" video throttling. I don't see why you cant do that on an "x amount data plan."

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
So, I got the notification today that I only had 10% of my data left for the renaming 5 days of my billing cycle. I think to myself, "that's plausible," but when I looked in further detail, Verizon says that I used 44% of my data via video streaming. Verizon says that I used 15+ GB of data for the billing cycle, but my phone says I only used 9 GB and change. I looked at my data usage on my phone and it tells me I used 8 GB and change on Google Play Music, with the next highest usage being from Google Maps, at 200 MB. I can count on both hands how many times I have viewed video content in this past video cycle off of WiFi. Is this a buttfuck moved to get me on the unlimited plan? I called in and my new Verizon princess told me about how little it would cost me more to move to the 24 GB or unlimited plan. Does anything about this situation seem on the up-and-up? I would love to give my new Verizon princess any commission that could be used towards new and fresh sexy panties, but I would rather figure out what the issue is first. I need some assistance fellow goons.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Lizard posted:

So, I got the notification today that I only had 10% of my data left for the renaming 5 days of my billing cycle. I think to myself, "that's plausible," but when I looked in further detail, Verizon says that I used 44% of my data via video streaming. Verizon says that I used 15+ GB of data for the billing cycle, but my phone says I only used 9 GB and change. I looked at my data usage on my phone and it tells me I used 8 GB and change on Google Play Music, with the next highest usage being from Google Maps, at 200 MB. I can count on both hands how many times I have viewed video content in this past video cycle off of WiFi. Is this a buttfuck moved to get me on the unlimited plan? I called in and my new Verizon princess told me about how little it would cost me more to move to the 24 GB or unlimited plan. Does anything about this situation seem on the up-and-up? I would love to give my new Verizon princess any commission that could be used towards new and fresh sexy panties, but I would rather figure out what the issue is first. I need some assistance fellow goons.

A. I appreciated the thought, because I totally have been saving up for new and fresh sexy panties.

B. Reps don't make commission on plan changes, so there probably isn't any shadiness.

C. No idea on the data usage. I haven't seen anything recently on data usage being misreported, but I wouldn't say it isn't possible either.

D. I can get you an answer on your plan question; but I would need you to post your exact plan, whether you have a discount, and if you are in 2 year contract or on payment plan. If you just list your bill I can usually figure it out.

With love,

Your new Verizon Princess

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
Pan is the 16 GB plan, with 3 lines, 2 extra GB per line, two Pixel XL's on device payment plans, and a government employee discount. I pay about $211 per month. Princess said I could go up to 24 GB per month and keep my extra 2 GB per line for only $16 more per month. She said I could go unlimited for ~$27 more per month. Princess hooked me up with extra data for the rest of the month, but I'll be watching my data next month to see if I have the same problem with misreported data usage.

Uncle Lizard fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 30, 2017

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

What is this princess poo poo?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

AdmiralViscen posted:

What is this princess poo poo?

Would you prefer vixen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Uncle Lizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soXMCkoWfQo

• Locked thread