Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also because it sounds like AMC may start refusing to let MoviePass people in
Eh, that does suck because those are the closest theaters to me and the main ones I go to, but fortunately there are other theaters in the area that haven’t denounced MoviePass’ new cheaper plan that I can go to instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also because it sounds like AMC may start refusing to let MoviePass people in

Actually, they can't in most cases.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Harkins somehow doesn't accept them but I don't know how. My guess is they don't take mastercard but I haven't confirmed this.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
There have been roughly no good blockbuster movies this year and August has been loving anemic. I work at a museum with two IMAX theatres and we've just been playing Dunkirk for a month and a half because what the hell else are we going to put in there

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
If baywatch or King Arthur had opened this month they would have been huge as August has nothing

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rick posted:

Harkins somehow doesn't accept them but I don't know how. My guess is they don't take mastercard but I haven't confirmed this.

drat. That was my second option. Guess I don't get to be blessed with Movie Pass.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was everyone afraid of opening against/after Dunkirk? What was up with that?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sbaldrick posted:

If baywatch or King Arthur had opened this month they would have been huge as August has nothing
RedLetterMedia brought this up in their Half in the Bag episode on it, but why the gently caress did Annabelle Creation open in August?

I wouldn't have gone to see it either way, but why not open it in October which is when people are specifically looking for new horror movies?

Was there going to be a deluge of horror movies opening in October that the studio thought it couldn't compete with?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Huh, for some reason I hadn't realized how historically bad Labor Day weekend was.

Labor Day weekend is where Hollywood movies go to die
http://nypost.com/2015/09/04/labor-day-weekend-is-where-hollywood-movies-go-to-die/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Annabelle Creation was set for August because it loving smashed.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

There have been roughly no good blockbuster movies this year and August has been loving anemic. I work at a museum with two IMAX theatres and we've just been playing Dunkirk for a month and a half because what the hell else are we going to put in there

Terminator 2 3d is out :getin:
Obviously it's not new...

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Was there going to be a deluge of horror movies opening in October that the studio thought it couldn't compete with?

https://www.movieinsider.com/movies/october/2017

Just the new Saw, The Snowman, Happy Death Day and the most frightening of all Boo 2: A Madea Halloween

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

my local is still playing Apes, Dunkirk, Baby Driver, Despicable Me 3 and Spider-Man. Feels like it's been the same lineup forever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

well why not posted:

my local is still playing Apes, Dunkirk, Baby Driver, Despicable Me 3 and Spider-Man. Feels like it's been the same lineup forever.
loving hell, Despicable Me came out in June :stare:

joylessdivision posted:

https://www.movieinsider.com/movies/october/2017

Just the new Saw, The Snowman, Happy Death Day and the most frightening of all Boo 2: A Madea Halloween
Literally the only one of these I care to see is Blade Runner, but I'm not representative of moviegoing audiences as a whole.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I had thought I had read that there are so many draws on attention in October for horror like Halloween parties and the appetite for horror is year round, so they just tend to not prioritize October.

Not what I read before, but has interesting breakdown of October horror releases.

http://uproxx.com/movies/halloween-movies-october/2/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Conjuring lawsuit is going ahead to trial. This is the one where a guy claims he owns the rights to the Warren's "files" while WB says that it is based on historical facts. Gerald Brittle has countered with GHOSTS AREN'T REAL.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Cameo posted:

It’s one of the great feats in cinema, to be honest - to take the unstoppable avatar of death from your first movie, and not only make that avatar vulnerable and human, but to turn him into a complete underdog without ever removing the same aspects that made him the unstoppable avatar of death the first time around. He manages to reconstruct one of the great movie baddies and gives him an arc that is reminiscent of Indiana Jones and John McClane, where he always fights from under and where you believe every big chunk of damage he takes could be the one that puts him down for good. It even plays off of your expectations, right there, at the end, when the T-1000 jams the pole through his chest - after all, Terminator 1 ended with Kyle Reese, our thought-to-be hero, dead several minutes before the end.

And all of this was done in under 365 days, from pitch to premiere!

getting to see t2 in a movie theater last week was the best time i've had going to the movies in my life.

"i know now why you cry...but it's something i can never do."

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

loving hell, Despicable Me came out in June :stare:
Literally the only one of these I care to see is Blade Runner, but I'm not representative of moviegoing audiences as a whole.

I'm looking forward to Blade Runner and Happy Death Day. Jigsaw I'll probably wait for video and same for Snowman but that's because I'm cheap and rarely go to the theater.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Probably gonna watch that Jackie Chan revenge movie too, tbqh... when's that out?

Also I just realized I should probably get on it if I want to catch T2 3D in theaters...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Also I just realized I should probably get on it if I want to catch T2 3D in theaters...

It performed well below expectations this past weekend, so, yeah, it's not going to be sticking around too long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timby posted:

It performed well below expectations this past weekend, so, yeah, it's not going to be sticking around too long.

When was the last time that a 3D re-release actually did well?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't Jurassic Park do well?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Jurrassic Park made 45 million. Anything else :iiam:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

T23D was excellent. The 3D was legit good, not necessary but if it got the film into theaters again and not have it be a one night event. It was dope. Movie holds up so well.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Last weekend's box office was the worst in 15 years, and the Mayweather vs McGregor fight finished 8th for the weekend, despite being a one-time event. Next weekend might even be worse with no major releases even though it is a holiday weekend.

was the mayweather fight supposed to make people interested in boxing again? esp after the dismal mayweather v pacquio

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Timby posted:

So did every other movie, from what I heard

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Everyone still broke?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Didn’t the Toy Story 3D double feature and The Lion King 3D release each do like $100 million

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The Cameo posted:

Didn’t the Toy Story 3D double feature and The Lion King 3D release each do like $100 million

Probably because it's Disney.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ybrik posted:

Jurrassic Park made 45 million. Anything else :iiam:
That's around what Episode 1 3D made. I don't get how that could be a disappointment, though.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Why the hell did they open Valerian against Dunkirk instead of now?

My AMC Dolby is re-showing Baby Driver, which is cool, but drat I wish it was Valarian.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

was the mayweather fight supposed to make people interested in boxing again? esp after the dismal mayweather v pacquio

I think it was supposed to make a lot of money, before everyone involved in it went back to wondering why boxing has become a niche sport.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

well why not posted:

The theater I work at has no poo poo had The Big Sick for a solid two months and people keep going to it. It's a really good movie and all, but I would not have expected that one bit.

Like, we literally opened 5 movies this weekend and we still have Big Sick. And it's not going anywhere this weekend I'm sure because nothing good is opening, and at the very least if we get rid of something it will be Good Time or Ingrid Goes West because no one is going to see either of those movies.

But starting on the 9th we're getting something either interesting or popular every week or so. It comes on the 9th, mother! is the 16th a week after that is Kingsman, then American Made, then Blade Runner, then The Foreigner, then The Snowman, then Suburbicon (i hope this is a wide release). Honestly, September/October probably has a higher number of good-looking wide releases than November/December considering the latter is running entirely on the quartet of Thor/Justice League/Star Wars/Pixar. Everything else looks either sad or underwhelming (Daddy's Home 2? A Bad Moms Christmas? Pitch Perfect 3? That lovely looking Death Wish remake? Bastards, a movie so bad that it got pushed back an entire year?)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's been a pretty mediocre year

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

To be fair, The Big Sick is an awesome movie and definitely the sort of thing that grows with word of mouth.

I don't know if it's been a totally bad year, but I've definitely seen some real duds and there's more stuff coming. Star Wars, you know?

Gonna try and make it to the Terminator 2 3D re-release, hope I have time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Last year I had a list of like 30 favorite movies.

This year I have 5, and I'm even iffy about a couple of those being favorites of the year.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have a bunch of my ticket stubs here and I'm struggling to remember enjoying a movie more than The Big Sick overall. Maybe John Wick 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This years been real good, but I've been so selective, I think I can count the movies I've seen on my hands. The worst thing I've seen all year was like...Pirates 5.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that's your own fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Some clowns are upset at the new It movie further degrading their reputation. I mean real clowns, Stephen King already addressed Trump blocking him on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/851530958822154242

• Locked thread