Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Episode over. I can't say I get why people don't like that one. Even if not a lot happened the premise was solid and it had a lot of little touches like the lighting I mentioned or the part where Data said something to Picard who just stared vacantly so he got on comm and said "... this is acting captain Data."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Marshal Radisic posted:

Nerd talk, there's something like sixteen power levels on TNG phasers. The first three are stuns of increasing intensity, the next four just burn people to death, and everything above that vaporizes them. I think at level 16 you can basically blow the side off a mountain, which is handy if you're lost in the wilderness and need to do some emergency fracking.

Also phasers stop vaporizing people pretty much entirely once you get to DS9. It still happens from time to time, but at some point the writers must have realized that it's really limiting and boring if your guns always kill everything and instantly vaporize the body.

edit- this is actually one of the only times I can remember it happening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIomRwtVXpY

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

or the part where Data said something to Picard who just stared vacantly so he got on comm and said "... this is acting captain Data."

Data's getting cocky ever since he took over the ship in Brothers

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The scene with Crusher in the makeshift morgue. :gonk:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Technology discovered: Soliton Wave

- Allow ships to enter warp without warp drive
- Doesn't work
- Also destroys entire planets; almost impossible to defend against

Don't they just shoot it with torpedoes until it goes away?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Marshal Radisic posted:

You don't remember the time Riker shot that guy in the face in the first season and his head blew up like a Polish sausage in a microwave?

Nerd talk, there's something like sixteen power levels on TNG phasers. The first three are stuns of increasing intensity, the next four just burn people to death, and everything above that vaporizes them. I think at level 16 you can basically blow the side off a mountain, which is handy if you're lost in the wilderness and need to do some emergency fracking.

I was watching an ep of TOS the other day (That Which Survives) and Kirk is shooting rocks with his phaser and they won't melt, which surprises him because as he mentions, the beam is 8000 degrees or something like that. Then he turns it up higher. :stare:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

"Who is thissss ... Hitler you mention? He sounds interesting."

Flash Gordon beat them to this by miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtKFB0pERx4&t=30s

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure every Federation antagonist combs through earth history in the hopes some captain tries to use the moral high ground.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

One of the bodies on the ship was killed by a phaser, which surprised me because I didn't think phasers could leave dead bodies behind.

Depends on the setting, a phaser on kill mostly just causes burns and the tissue disruption that comes with flesh suddenly turning into steam. Using the maximum setting is pretty irresponsible if you think about it; what if you miss and take out four feet of bulkhead? DS9 has a nice scene where Kira criticizes Starfleet weapons for being impractically capable. 99% of the time you either want stun or kill, but a Starfleet phaser has like 16 power levels and a bunch of other controls too.

It's very characterful and we know from years of watching TNG that it makes sense that Starfleet is incapable of producing anything simple.

They do occasionally make use of more unusual phaser settings in DS9 and Voyager like carefully cutting a hole in a wall without damaging anything behind it or stunning an entire room but the writers usually forget they can do that.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 29, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, complicated but overcapable makes sense for Starfleet where you're probably going to get trapped by an energy being in a dimensional pocket where you need to play a game for your life or whatever bullshit and only a frequency of 1.3726 dulohertz will break you out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh yeah, it's just a great piece of world-building through a character. Kira's background is paramilitary; she doesn't care about reverse tachyon wedgies. The context of the scene is her teaching somebody else how to shoot, and she mentions that a Starfleet phaser rifle is a whole different beast from a Cardassian disruptor. I think her point is that the Starfleet weapon is a powerful and complicated tool best left to an expert while the Cardassian one is point and shoot. But she does mention the phaser is a bit fragile for a field weapon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arglebargle III posted:

Depends on the setting, a phaser on kill mostly just causes burns and the tissue disruption that comes with flesh suddenly turning into steam. Using the maximum setting is pretty irresponsible if you think about it; what if you miss and take out four feet of bulkhead? DS9 has a nice scene where Kira criticizes Starfleet weapons for being impractically capable. 99% of the time you either want stun or kill, but a Starfleet phaser has like 16 power levels and a bunch of other controls too.

It's very characterful and we know from years of watching TNG that it makes sense that Starfleet is incapable of producing anything simple.

They do occasionally make use of more unusual phaser settings in DS9 and Voyager like carefully cutting a hole in a wall without damaging anything behind it or stunning an entire room but the writers usually forget they can do that.
I figure the Andorians are making Starfleet's guns in the modern day and they loving love all this fiddly-rear end poo poo even if almost everyone else basically just uses "stun," "kill," and maybe occasionally "heat up a rock."

And why not? It's not like they can go over budget. (I assume there's some kind of resource tracker for large-scale poo poo like building starships, of course.) Hell, they probably replicate the phasers, or at least most of the parts. Why not have the best design you can as the basic model?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think it's a combination of Starfleet being unable to do anything in a technically simple way and being uwilling to design a pure weapon. Starfleet probably sees a phaser as a tool that needs to be able to remove a mountainside or stun a school of fish or punch exact holes in a casing and you know maybe, I guess, occasionally shoot somebody but we hope not guys, but you can but we hope not okay.

Insurrection is kinda funny in that it, while bad, is the only example of how the Federation would really fight. It's all aerial drones and non-lethal weaponry. Nobody is in any real danger.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 29, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Episode over. I can't say I get why people don't like that one. Even if not a lot happened the premise was solid and it had a lot of little touches like the lighting I mentioned or the part where Data said something to Picard who just stared vacantly so he got on comm and said "... this is acting captain Data."

Mostly Troi's dreams are pretty dumb looking imo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Given how much energy must be in the batteries of those things it's always amusing to see someone set it up to overload and act as a grenade, and all it does is fizzle out like a dud firework in a console instead of nuke the ship

O'Brien says that phasers can be tuned to blow up at whatever energy level you want because lol of course they can.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it's a combination of Starfleet being unable to do anything in a technically simple way and being uwilling to design a pure weapon. Starfleet probably sees a phaser as a tool that needs to be able to remove a mountainside or stun a school of fish or punch exact holes in a casing and you know maybe, I guess, occasionally shoot somebody but we hope not guys, but you can but we hope not okay.

Yes, the hand phaser is a hippy weapon idea,

The phaser rifles they pulled out were a clear attempt at trying to sex up the gun appeal. Didn't they premiere in First Contact?

E: According to Memory Alpha, first appeared in The Mind's Eye.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nah they go all the way back to TOS and the phaser rifle prop shows up in TNG and DS9. The First Contact rifles were just much much cooler looking. Then they kept turning up the cool knob and they became dumb.

Voyager had its own bizarre phaser rifle design that only showed up a couple times. It looked like something a Ferengi would build.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Here's the quote:

KIRA : Now this is an entirely different animal. It's Federation standard issue. A little less powerful, but with more options; sixteen beam settings, fully autonomous recharge, multiple target acquisition, gyrostabilized, the works. It's more complicated, so it's not as good a field weapon. Too many things can go wrong.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I really like how they made a big deal of STD being back in the Prime timeline, but then made the Klingons look like the Xtreme JJTrek versions. I will try to remain open minded, as I'm sure people were flipping their poo poo when TMP came out and Klingons looked entirely different, but... Eh.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

CPColin posted:

The scene with Crusher in the makeshift morgue. :gonk:

I kept expecting one of the corpses to open its eyes suddenly or jerk up but it never happened. Still a good creepy scene though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think the phaser thing is basic m16 vs ak-47 reliability from Vietnam.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

O'Brien says that phasers can be tuned to blow up at whatever energy level you want because lol of course they can.

On the one hand it's goofy as gently caress since I felt like most times it was implied the phaser had been illicitly tampered with to explode, on the other hand there was such a thing as "dial-a-yield" for some nuclear weapons in real life.

Arglebargle III posted:

Nah they go all the way back to TOS and the phaser rifle prop shows up in TNG and DS9. The First Contact rifles were just much much cooler looking. Then they kept turning up the cool knob and they became dumb.

Voyager had its own bizarre phaser rifle design that only showed up a couple times. It looked like something a Ferengi would build.

The TOS phaser rifle only ever appeared in the second pilot and never came back after that; if I remember right Gene Roddenberry hated it (and to be fair it was a lovely prop).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hate the boxy TNG phaser rifles. Just like the hand phasers you can't aim with, those double-handled rectangles look incredibly uncomfortable to hold, much less shoot. Just terrible lovely designs that don't even look cool. The TNG films finally got it right.

The MACO phase rifle is probably my favorite Trek weapon though, with all the TOS pistol variations in second.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Isn't it hinted at that lots of power cells are some kind of mini-fusion device? That would be perfectly capable of dialing in a specific energy output.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I was 9 years old when Descent aired and I thought the equivalent of "Holy poo poo, they're really loving serious about this."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DrNutt posted:

I really like how they made a big deal of STD being back in the Prime timeline, but then made the Klingons look like the Xtreme JJTrek versions. I will try to remain open minded, as I'm sure people were flipping their poo poo when TMP came out and Klingons looked entirely different, but... Eh.

I'd be perfectly fine with a redesign of it actually looked competent and interesting. Like so many other designs in this show, it manages to be overly-busy and generic. If it weren't for the chevrons and other familiar logos, would you even recognize this as Trek or just another Friday night SyFy original series?

It's just really uninspired and underwhelming.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

On the one hand it's goofy as gently caress since I felt like most times it was implied the phaser had been illicitly tampered with to explode, on the other hand there was such a thing as "dial-a-yield" for some nuclear weapons in real life.

It's not clear how much energy is released in the overload process but the TNG tech manual states that the power cell of a hand phaser can hold 45 terajoules. If even a fraction of that energy is available during an overload that's comparable to a small nuclear bomb. Presumably you'd want to dial it lower than a kiloton of TNT for most scenarios you could think of.

The power cell is supposed to be some kind of crystal matrix that's stable until you bring it into contact with some kind of complicated bullshit to get it to release energy.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 29, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Yes, the hand phaser is a hippy weapon idea,

The phaser rifles they pulled out were a clear attempt at trying to sex up the gun appeal. Didn't they premiere in First Contact?

E: According to Memory Alpha, first appeared in The Mind's Eye.

:eng101: First appeared in the first episode of TOS (besides The Cage), Where No Msn Has Gone Before.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh I always forget about those until they randomly show up, looking all weirdly bulky and awkward to hold. Are you just supposed to just clasp that back handle?

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's how it was always held on the show.

Though I think later in the show they swapped to the First Contact model.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Orv posted:

That's how it was always held on the show.

Though I think later in the show they swapped to the First Contact model.

I want to say... compression phaser rifle?

Ye gods why do I know all this poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It always annoyed me that Troi, when needing the tells the aliens that they figured out what element they needed, is floating around going "i need to find you!!" when its really obvious they already are in communication with her. She should just be yelling the solution rather than trying to make a new friend.

It works out in the end but that poo poo was annoying.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Troi is an incompetent moron

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Beachcomber posted:

I think the phaser thing is basic m16 vs ak-47 reliability from Vietnam.

This is pretty obvious, yeah.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's not clear how much energy is released in the overload process but the TNG tech manual states that the power cell of a hand phaser can hold 45 terajoules. If even a fraction of that energy is available during an overload that's comparable to a small nuclear bomb. Presumably you'd want to dial it lower than a kiloton of TNT for most scenarios you could think of.

The power cell is supposed to be some kind of crystal matrix that's stable until you bring it into contact with some kind of complicated bullshit to get it to release energy.

Wow, iirc in the aforementioned DS9 scene Kira says the Cardassian rifle is 4.7 megajoules and is slightly more powerful than the Starfleet version. That may not sound like much in comparison, but it's enough to run a kilowatt beam continuously for well over an hour. I don't know a whole lot about lasers/phasers but I'd guess a kilowatt would easily be on the strong side of kill. I know a 1 watt laser pointer can pop balloons and burn small objects, or at least ignite matches and stuff.

So 10W would probably be a good light stun, I'm getting your attention kind of setting.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 29, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The point-defense laser the Navy wants to build will be about 150kW, which should be enough to shoot down antiship missiles.

True ballistic missile defense lasers would probably have to be multiple megawatt due to how fast the targets move and how long a range they'd need.

I am honestly not sure what a kilowatt laser would do to a person. I mean, it would probably be lethal, but maybe not instantly and it certainly wouldn't vaporize someone.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vaporizing a person is in the gigawatt range

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

Vaporizing a person is in the gigawatt range

for a laser maybe, but this is a phaser. Much more efficient. Disruptors even more so. Because :techno:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think somebody misread the tech manual and didn't notice the exponent. Joules doesn't make sense as an output rating anyway and 4.5 MJ is kinda lame for a future space weapon. It's great energy density now in that you could run a smartphone for a year on that battery but it won't take out an aquaduct like Data did.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But nadions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I thought Night Terrors was a memorable episode, it's just too bad it's mostly about Troi, who sucks.

Watching Troi deal with a problem is like watching your grandma use a computer for the first time.