Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Has anyone bought binoculars off aliexpress? Any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

Has anyone bought binoculars off aliexpress? Any good?

Nope, but I can think of a way to find out! Half the fun of Ali is the gambling on if you're throwing money away on crap or not. I mean, c'mon whaddaya really got ta lose. Take a gamble on dubious Chinese binoculars. What's the worst that could happen? I hear blindness ain't so bad..

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Ever want to deglove your feet?

:nms:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BAIMISS-Feet-Mask-Foot/32810897436.html
:nms:

You wear these booties for an hour, and a week later all the "extra" skin on your feet just falls off in gross shreds.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

Also to go all Pinterest Mom about Dollar Tree, if you want a really cheap handmade gift that requires not a lot of actual artistic skill you can cut stencils out of vinyl contact paper and use glass etching cream to burn whatever you want onto their mugs (which are sturdy as gently caress) and wine glasses. Especially with nerds, a Vault Boy or Overwatch logo isn't hard to trace at all.

Oh poo poo I think you found an actual neat use case for my chinese death laser besides zapping eyeballs, I gotta buy a roll of contact paper and see if it cuts through it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Site is down :ohdear:

e: Oh that was quick. I was just thinking: this is probably one of the biggest sites in the world so they gotta have redundancies up the deformed anus but :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah it's just customs agents interrupting your connection. Site works fine from here.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Guy Mann posted:

It's also worth mentioning that while Dollar Tree doesn't get quite as much as often as places like Big Lots or Ollie's it's also used as a dumping ground for places trying to offload stock cheaply. Over the years I've gotten tons of Seen-On-TV junk of varying quality for a buck there, sometimes actually good and useful like StoneWave microwave cookers or Topsy-Turvy hanging planters while other times it's the exact kind of hilarious novelty like cell phone headbands that's worth a buck as a gag gift.

Food is also a crapshoot, when Jack Links redesigned their bags a year ago they just dumped all the old ones there and when pink himalayan salt was still rare and faddish enough to regularly go for like $7-$10 a shaker they were selling huge jars for a while. Same with chia seeds.

Also they're the only place that regularly sells DXM-only gelcaps, so you can buy enough to knock you on your rear end for a day and a 3-liter of diet coke to wash it down with all for a fiver.

:catdrugs:

Yeah, I've noticed that Dollar Tree's grocery section is definitely hit or miss, but not at all something to completely ignore. My local one has an impressive spice section for example. Also it has recently occurred to me that their paper thin "ribeye steak" would be fantastic for homemade jerky...

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

This sale is a loving joke. I had a bunch of poo poo saved in my cart to buy when the sale prices kicked in, but I've noticed that most sellers have altered their prices again from what was advertised yesterday. Unless there are ways to stack coupons that I'm not seeing, but I've never really understood how coupons work with AliExpress.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I've never really understood how coupons work with AliExpress.

You have 3 kinds of coupons. Seller, Aliexpress, and Select. Depending on the seller you can use one, some, or all types. But you can only use one of each type per order as far as I know.

All coupons have a minimum purchase amount before they apply. This is for a total purchase from one seller. Not just for a single item.

Aliexpress and Seller coupons have their min purchase amount on the coupon. For Select coupons the min purchase and max savings vary by seller. I've only ever seen $2 Select coupons though, so not sure how amounts higher than that work.

On mobile there are icons for the different types on the item listing in the "Discounts & Coupons" section. If you tap them, it'll show you what seller coupons (if any) are available, as well as what the min purchase and max savings for select coupons (if accepted) is.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Duh Ugh posted:

You have 3 kinds of coupons. Seller, Aliexpress, and Select. Depending on the seller you can use one, some, or all types. But you can only use one of each type per order as far as I know.

All coupons have a minimum purchase amount before they apply. This is for a total purchase from one seller. Not just for a single item.

Aliexpress and Seller coupons have their min purchase amount on the coupon. For Select coupons the min purchase and max savings vary by seller. I've only ever seen $2 Select coupons though, so not sure how amounts higher than that work.

On mobile there are icons for the different types on the item listing in the "Discounts & Coupons" section. If you tap them, it'll show you what seller coupons (if any) are available, as well as what the min purchase and max savings for select coupons (if accepted) is.

This is very much appreciated. I hardly ever buy multiple items from the same seller in the same transaction, so coupons hardly ever qualify. I think that my initial mental disconnect was thinking that even if I pay all at once for a bunch of small transactions in my shopping cart, they're still a bunch of small transactions and not one unified one. This is obvious in hindsight.

I actually got a couple of coupons to work this time because I spent enough money with a couple of sellers. With the coupons added, I think that I was harsh in my earlier assessment. In my mind the Anniversary Sale this past spring was better, but I still got a bunch of stuff that would have cost 3x-4x more somewhere else.

Anybody finding any :krad: sale deals?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

This sale is a loving joke. I had a bunch of poo poo saved in my cart to buy when the sale prices kicked in, but I've noticed that most sellers have altered their prices again from what was advertised yesterday. Unless there are ways to stack coupons that I'm not seeing, but I've never really understood how coupons work with AliExpress.

Someone noticed this last time. They raise the prices, then take a cut.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Someone noticed this last time. They raise the prices, then take a cut.

Oh yeah, it's AE common knowledge that sellers jack up prices leading up to a sale to make the sale prices look better, and that AE as a platform gets their cut no matter what. The thing that got me was that for the last week I was seeing stuff like "this tackle bag costs $26 now or $20 when the sale starts," only to see that the bag cost $22 this morning once the sale started. It's still $4 cheaper that yesterday so I shouldn't have been so salty about it, and it's possible that this was as rampant during the Anniversary sale also and I didn't know enough to catch it.

I guess if anything it reinforces the fact that prices fluctuate a lot on AE and the only way to lock in a price for an item is to buy it. I'm still glad that I waited for the sale and I still bought drat near everything that I was planning to get, but I could do without the bait & switch tactics. Oh well, part of the game I guess.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
After the sale, that bag will be $18.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I found a :nws: abalone shell mask. what the gently caress china

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Psychedelicatessen posted:

You've never seen Predator?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Yeah please don't buy anything during this AE sale. It's like a worse Prime day.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Koryk posted:

14, about 5' 7", trout or bass in the local farm streams, maybe 6-8 days a month during the summer.

This $10 rod should do nicely. This is the freshwater reel that I got. I like it a lot and it's $4 cheaper today than when I got it. It's certainly worth $25 to me. A spool of this line will be good to have around. Be sure to check the line size chart: I think that you'd want to order size 1.5 (6.5 lb test, 0.023mm diameter) or size 2.0 (9.5 lb test, 0.234mm diameter) for what he's going to be fishing for.

If you're looking for hooks, do not trust any kind of numberized sizing from AE. There is no international standardization, so check the detailed item descriptions for size measurements and pics.

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

After the sale, that bag will be $18.

I'm definitely going to be checking to see what the price will be after the sale. A comparable bag was $50-60 on Amazon, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Now you can live your dreams of cosplaying as Responsibility Scallop. :backtowork:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cat/dog mat remover, these are supposed to be pretty good. Less than $5

Stripped screw removers, less than $2 for set

6 sheets wet/dry detail sandpaper, $1.75

Stainless steel "soap" to get onion smell off your hands or whatever, $1

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Facebook Aunt posted:

Now you can live your dreams of cosplaying as Responsibility Scallop. :backtowork:

Don't be silly. Scallops are far more terrifying.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Don't be silly. Scallops are far more terrifying.

They've got pretty eyes, though! ::3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
responsibility scallop is my favorite forums meme, by like, a lot

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
So uh.

I dropped $12 on two "dresses" that were more going to be sleep shirts/costumey things.

What was advertised:

I was expecting them to be poorly made and the velvet to be really light weight (that would have been a plus, actually). I also expected them to be somewhere near my size, as the listing had a size chart.

What was delivered:

I can't decide if the counterfeiter didn't realize it was velvet, or just thought they could get away with doing a lovely velvet pattern.

Edit: gently caress you imgur

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Oh man, these and drills in general are another thing you can get burned on. It's hard to find a set of drills that are actually well made, usually they're made from the same magic chinesium steel that dulls after one use and then break. You know, like those cheap-rear end drills you can buy from any hardware store.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I ordered these two skirts for :10bux: each during the sale:

From this store. If anyone is into rave / club kid styles check them out as they have a ton of on-trend stuff. If I had more spending money at the moment I would have bought a bunch more stuff.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

My 500 stickers arrived within 2 weeks and they loving own.

One just says gently caress you. What more can a man want to sticker bomb a server case

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

So uh.

I dropped $12 on two "dresses" that were more going to be sleep shirts/costumey things.

What was advertised:

I was expecting them to be poorly made and the velvet to be really light weight (that would have been a plus, actually). I also expected them to be somewhere near my size, as the listing had a size chart.

What was delivered:

I can't decide if the counterfeiter didn't realize it was velvet, or just thought they could get away with doing a lovely velvet pattern.

Edit: gently caress you imgur

Imgur sucks poo poo now it's dumb

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

This is hilariously bad

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Captain Yossarian posted:

Imgur sucks poo poo now it's dumb

I missed that memo, what is the image hosting of your choice?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Re: Imgur; works for me.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The imgur app sucks poo poo for linking with bb code, it's a hassle

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The imgur app sucks poo poo for linking with bb code, it's a hassle

Hearty :lol: at posting on a phone in the year 2017 when desk-top computer systems are abundant and cheap.

e: Gonna look up computers on Aliexpress right now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont use the app, use the mobile page.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Computers on Aliexpress are expensive. More like Applexpress!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Jerry I have four computers at home, but some of us have to work at the dick suckling factory and are on mobile.... Smdh... Racist

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hearty :lol: at posting on a phone in the year 2017 when desk-top computer systems are abundant and cheap.

e: Gonna look up computers on Aliexpress right now.

Can't bring a laptop or desk-top system into the bathtub with you, pal

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerry I have four computers at home, but some of us have to work at the dick suckling factory and are on mobile.... Smdh... Racist

The Something Awful Forums are like unto heroin for you. You can't wait to post at home so you debase yourself by using inferior technology to get your "fix". Reflect upon your condition for a moment SMDH.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can't bring a laptop or desk-top system into the bathtub with you, pal

Get a bigger tub?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bam...2826239126.html

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

From the AliExpress assisted suicide section.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

it's a magnetic phone mount for your cars air vent

with a built-in fidget spinner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Joy to the world the fish slippers have come. Let my feet receive their king.

They're a bit harder plastic than I thought and about 2 sizes too small (I anticipated that) but yeah they... they're something.