Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Hey is there any in depth coverage on the NO's pump problems and if they're all gonna explode when the rain hits?

Last I heard it's all crazy old WW1 machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

taylor swift is not swift, in fact she is very slow

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Port Arthur looking real bad
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1MYxNXXnqDoGw

Left is Port Arthur - removing residents from a nursing home that flooded. Right is Houston news.

You know, I'm honestly surprised that there's any cellular reception at all to broadcast while on a zodiac in the middle of an underwater city. I would of thought the rising water levels would merc the cell towers right around the same time that it was knocking out power substations and whatnot.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Hey is there any in depth coverage on the NO's pump problems and if they're all gonna explode when the rain hits?

My grandpa worked on crazy old WW1 machinery

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

My grandfather fought in WWI, actually, for the Canadians. The other one was younger but had flat feet so he ran the civil defense around Monroe, MI instead.

ETA: Also had an uncle who was at Anzio.

My dad's uncle was also at Anzio, in the Army Rangers... but the only story I know related to the war, is the really fake sounding ghost story he told everybody. Supposedly early on, during the night, he saw an apparition of a relative who'd served in WW1, wearing an old Italian uniform. Supposedly this ghost told him "Beware the sands of Anzio."

The other uncle was at the Battle of the Bulge, but didn't talk about it. Nobody else in the family was in any wars, as far as I know.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I hope tax reform week goes as smoothly as infrastructure week, because that was great

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Port Arthur is 41% African American, for context.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Here's a stream that's actually live inside the place.
The man make a speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpjrTSqm3mg

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, I'm honestly surprised that there's any cellular reception at all to broadcast while on a zodiac in the middle of an underwater city. I would of thought the rising water levels would merc the cell towers right around the same time that it was knocking out power substations and whatnot.

They have a backup generator fueled solely by "thoughts and prayers."

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Jaxyon posted:

Haven't heard anything, but it looks like NO is just getting scattered fast moving rain bands. Harvey refuses to stop absolutely making GBS threads on Texas long enough to do anything to NO.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

farraday posted:

Haven't heard anything, but it looks like NO is just getting scattered fast moving rain bands. Harvey refuses to stop absolutely making GBS threads on Texas long enough to do anything to NO.

Ah I last heard it was going back out to sea and then winding up to gently caress NO

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

It saddens me to see the destruction in Texas caused by many sides. Many sides.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

The pump that was returned to service on Friday but burned up on Monday has been fixed. http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/08/new_orleans_latest_broken_drai.html

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Jaxyon posted:

Ah I last heard it was going back out to sea and then winding up to gently caress NO

Theoretically it should be, but it decided to pour nearly everything it's picking up on the Texas/Louisiana line instead.

Harvey is loving single-mindedly dedicated to messing with Texas.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It saddens me to see the destruction in Texas caused by many sides. Many sides.

There was some good debris flying around that storm, some good debris.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
It's starting right now.

with a nice skipping audio glitch

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's not even news since it's already well known that he edits speeches between opening his mouth and sound coming out.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

repeating posted:

It's starting right now.

with a nice skipping audio glitch

Why are you linking to a stupid TRUMP TV youtube channel that is relaying the actual stream?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
MAJOR SPEECH!!! Big attendance!! Very wow Tax speech!! Must watch PRESIDENT TRUMP OWNS LIBERALS IN MAJOR TAX HIGH ATTENDANCE MEGASPEECH.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Jerry Cook, Steve Burnie and Chris P Bacon.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

farraday posted:

Well not everything.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/902949952560738309

(This is a joke, I do not want this elected rep and his family to drown. The situation is bleak and this is dark humor.)

What party does he belong?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I prefer fake news purveyor CNN for all my live streams. I don't want to give the White House site or their YouTube channel the traffic to pad his ego.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
My memory is good I swear. There's no problem.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

My memory is good I swear. There's no problem.

asking the crowd if he forgot to mention anyone...ha

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
He's seriously setting himself up to get egg on his face if the recovery goes poorly

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
have i just not been paying much attention to trump, or did his handlers get it through his dumb skull that if he has nothing useful to say he should just be nice and say everyone is doing a good job? this is more positive than i would expect even if it is vacant

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I feel like he's talking more about Texas in Missouri than he did in Texas.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Trump giving the definition of "too little too late" in Missouri.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
On the subject of T-swift:

http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/37187/1/nazis-love-taylor-swifts-look-what-you-made-me-do

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
The presidential seal is crooked.

"people...people...great great people. all affected by this tragedy"

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
lol cnn cut away they could not care less

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

boner confessor posted:

have i just not been paying much attention to trump, or did his handlers get it through his dumb skull that if he has nothing useful to say he should just be nice and say everyone is doing a good job? this is more positive than i would expect even if it is vacant

because he wants to reap the benefits of them doing a good job. the more positively people view the government's response, the better it is for him

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
why is he talking about route 66

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Route 66?? Who would've know that??

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Kind of random but I had this concept explained to me in USPol of old and I forgot what it was called.

It was some sort of philosophical archetype about someone who is pessimistic and assumes the worst in most cases yet still lives their life under the assumption (false, in their eyes) that things can improve. ie someone who votes and goes to rallies and protests but sees no way out of the doom facing the country and accepts it's all for nothing.

It's been on my mind a lot lately and it still feels very topical.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

because he wants to reap the benefits of them doing a good job. the more positively people view the government's response, the better it is for him

"who are you? you're doing a great job" is a much much more productive bad leadership technique than "everyone is mean to me, you're fired"

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

These kind of articles are the worst, just awful

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Billions of hours on compliance? I don't think Trump understands time.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The birthplace of a great American icon, the legendary Homer J Simpson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Think he will mention the plan to tax people's 401K? Or just dumb platitudes.

• Locked thread