Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season 2 and 3 are probably objectively better but season 1 has the stand out funniest moment in the show. "Oh yeah, that's the way!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Insecure is officially the first TV show I know of to actually show cum on a woman's face. Unexpected as hell, I think I audibly gasped

:stonklol:

is it a good show tho?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

I like how the hackers released spoilers about the season finale and nobody cared. Also I think most of that was on reddit months ago already.

It's like most people don't give a poo poo about spoilers.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Most people do, actually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmm so I didn't realize The Tick was a 12 season episode artificially split into two releases. Any idea when part 2 comes out?

E:Also Jackie Earl Haley kills it as the Terror, so glad he got a second wind in his career.

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 30, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They just said "fall.". So it can't be too far away.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Does TWD ever air at the same time as GoT? It's pretty insane how high the ratings are for these Sunday night cable shows when so many of them air on the same night.

The other reason these ratings are so impressive is the fact that Sunday Night Football exists. I know GoT is normally Apr-June so it's not a factor for them, but TWD definitely airs during Football season. I don't live in the US but isn't SNF the biggest national viewing timeslot for the week? I'd imagine there would be a ton of demographic crossover with the two.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Most people do, actually.

Wrong as usual.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I avoid spoilers to the fullest extent possible because I prefer to experience the story as the show intended, and I get legitimately pissed when somebody just decides that they are too cool for common courtesy in a public discussion. That being said, I was spoiled on some things in the GoT finale this year, just like I was last year, because there's always somebody who wants to show that they can read a list and post things from that list in random places online. It didn't make me not want to watch the episodes themselves though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hate spoilers. It won't necessarily turn me away, especially from a show I'm already invested in. But it changes the experience and you're a total rear end in a top hat if you can't understand why someone doesn't want you to tell them the end of a book before you're done reading it.

Game of Thrones is such a mine field of spoilers and people actively looking to spoiler viewers out of some dumb thrill or superiority complex that I kind of just came to terms with the fact that (a) I can't read anything online that talks about the show and (b) I'm going to get spoilers anyway. With an adapted work like that I kind of put myself in the mindset that any "spoiler" I get wind of might be a spoiler for the original work and not the TV adaption so it leaves the door open.

But like, even though I don't remember reading any spoilers anywhere I had the big twist from this Sunday's finale in the back of my head somehow so someone somewhere probably was a dick and spoiled it for me and I just pushed to the back of my head.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had all the major things that happened in this season spoiled for me, which I was actually ok with because I was excited to see how they played out.

And then they happened in the dumbest ways possible and I was disappointed.

Semi-related: is there anyone who was actually surprised by the confirmation that Jon is a secret Targ? Since my wife was a book reader I'd known about the R+L=J theory for ages, but they more or less confirmed it two or three times before hitting us over the head with it in the finale.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hate spoilers but I read the GoT ones (which turned out to be like exactly correct) and it didn't seem to change my enjoyment of the season. I full stop do not understand people who feel the need to post untagged spoilers all over the place though, these forums even have a built-in spoiler feature so it comes off especially twit-ish.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lelandjs posted:

I had all the major things that happened in this season spoiled for me, which I was actually ok with because I was excited to see how they played out.

And then they happened in the dumbest ways possible and I was disappointed.

Semi-related: is there anyone who was actually surprised by the confirmation that Jon is a secret Targ? Since my wife was a book reader I'd known about the R+L=J theory for ages, but they more or less confirmed it two or three times before hitting us over the head with it in the finale.

We all knew it with the flashback last season. They were reiterating it for the normal dumb people that watch the show since the ratings now are higher than it's ever been.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Aphrodite posted:

Wrong as usual.

Where are you getting this from? I completely agree, people don't like spoilers.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Insecure is officially the first TV show I know of to actually show cum on a woman's face. Unexpected as hell, I think I audibly gasped

I didn't think much of it at the time, but now that you say it, that's actually pretty crazy.

Side question: Whats the story behind the black jumper Issa was wearing last episode with the "The FBI killed x". Was that a Travon Martin type event?

precision posted:

:stonklol:

is it a good show tho?

Yes, it's pretty drat good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

Where are you getting this from? I completely agree, people don't like spoilers.

He didn't say like. He said people don't care.

Most people are not going to seek out spoilers but in general people don't care if they come across one. They do studies on this all the time, the latest was just this week.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

lelandjs posted:

Before the finale, they'd had a couple of blatant hints about that, but my dad took awhile to put the pieces together. It was kinda cute, because at one point, with the dragon touching and the deep conversations, he said, "That's why they get along. Blood recognizes blood."

Almost didn't have the heart to tell him they were driving at something completely different.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Aphrodite posted:

He didn't say like. He said people don't care.

Most people are not going to seek out spoilers but in general, people don't care if they come across one. They do studies on this all the time, the latest was just this week.

Exactly. Most people don't freak out about them or whine if they stumble across one. They don't search them out, but if they see one in a trailer or an interview they're like, whatever.

Classic example of a trailer from the 50s loaded with spoilers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4URRp39XOo

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Looten Plunder posted:

Does TWD ever air at the same time as GoT? It's pretty insane how high the ratings are for these Sunday night cable shows when so many of them air on the same night.

The other reason these ratings are so impressive is the fact that Sunday Night Football exists. I know GoT is normally Apr-June so it's not a factor for them, but TWD definitely airs during Football season. I don't live in the US but isn't SNF the biggest national viewing timeslot for the week? I'd imagine there would be a ton of demographic crossover with the two.

SNF is huge and the fact that shows like the Walking Dead and Breaking Bad did well or in Breaking Bad's case, actually out drew Sunday Night Football is something heavily discussed and analyzed, even by sports talk radio. SNF is why Fox airs mostly animated programming on Sunday Night. Before these shows the only real threat to SNF was 60 Minutes and even then you only missed the first 10 minutes of the game, if that.

Still, the unpredictably of the NFL might be at play too. Usually, SNF is a marquee matchup, but plenty of times teams come out of the dark or fall off a cliff, its hard to determine what games will be good. People would rather watch a show they know will be entertaining and tune in late to a game thats close rather than miss the entertaining show and watch a boring blow out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Most people that I know who watch GoT and TWD avoid the entire internet until they've seen the newest episode, because they know there will be spoilers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah literally every single person I know irl who watches GoT is obsessed with posting "NO SPOILERS" on Facebook and Twitter like finding out what happens in a show is an apocalyptic event. It's very hard for me to believe that "most people" don't care about spoilers.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah literally every single person I know irl who watches GoT is obsessed with posting "NO SPOILERS" on Facebook and Twitter like finding out what happens in a show is an apocalyptic event. It's very hard for me to believe that "most people" don't care about spoilers.

I have a friend who just read the spoiler list when it dropped who obsessively calls me the day every episode drops to cross-check if they were correct. 'Is the dragon dying', 'is the romance between Snow and Dany happening', etc etc etc

And no, she never watches the show on her own outside of the occasional Youtube clip.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

IRQ posted:

Did the Flash and/or Arrow get good again?

This question wrongly implies that they stopped being good at any point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Most people that I know who watch GoT and TWD avoid the entire internet until they've seen the newest episode, because they know there will be spoilers.

This always puzzles me, it's pretty easy to use the internet and not get spoiled about TV shows. There's like... dozens of pages on the internet that don't mention TV shows. Scores, even!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been spoiled on GoT stuff while just browsing Youtube. Assholes put up thumbnails with with revealing titles and it's hard to avoid them.

"HERE IS X CHARACTER loving Y CHARACTER!"

I'd never seen this kind of behavior until this year.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Youtube is full of douches, full report at 10.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Pretty sure Spartacus beat them to it (and dudes too)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

For the ratings TWD gets, which are the best ever for cable, it's not really in the zeitgeist like GoT. I hear references to GoT all the time, yesterday I heard some guy on Sportscenter reference the Iron Throne. Has SNL even done a TWD sketch? I mean, zombies are definitely in the national culture, but specific Walking Dead stuff doesn't seem to come up.

SNL has done a few Walking Dead sketches. The most recent being the Dave Chappelle episode from last November where Dave played Supernatural Dad with the spiked bat and all of his victims as different Chappelle's Show characters. Easily one of the top 5 sketches from last season.
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/walking-dead-chappelles-show/3424957?snl=1

Also, I've never watched TWD but I've absorbed enough through cultural osmosis to know that Supernatural Dad is on it, and I see about as many posts on Facebook when it's airing as I do for a GOT episode so I'd say its popularity is not insignificant.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

hahah that doesn't surprise me actually

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

SNL has done a few Walking Dead sketches. The most recent being the Dave Chappelle episode from last November where Dave played Supernatural Dad with the spiked bat and all of his victims as different Chappelle's Show characters. Easily one of the top 5 sketches from last season.
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/walking-dead-chappelles-show/3424957?snl=1

Also, I've never watched TWD but I've absorbed enough through cultural osmosis to know that Supernatural Dad is on it, and I see about as many posts on Facebook when it's airing as I do for a GOT episode so I'd say its popularity is not insignificant.

Oh no argument that's it's insanely popular, I just don't hear as much about it as I do GoT. I'm not on Facebook though so I'm mostly talking about references I see in other media.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

This always puzzles me, it's pretty easy to use the internet and not get spoiled about TV shows. There's like... dozens of pages on the internet that don't mention TV shows. Scores, even!

But social media is completely unsafe. Reddit, Facebook, twitter etc are all feeds of input from other people with unpredictable contents.

Heck the local morning radio show around here always discusses episodes the morning after they air.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This site is reporting that HBO is beginning production on The Mighty Eighth, their third WWII miniseries, about the air war over Europe. It claims it has a budget of $500m. I'm looking for better sources but the writer is at least still working on it, or was in July.

https://twitter.com/johnorloff/status/889593735306203136

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

McSpanky posted:

I don't think Spartacus had any visible cum. Lots of dicks, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think Spartacus had any visible cum. Lots of dicks, though.

It showed a male slave in an orgy with cum on his face. He did not look happy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

It showed a male slave in an orgy with cum on his face. He did not look happy.

It was an out take in some regions. The torrent I have didn't show it. But I saw in on another release

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Game of Thrones had a scene with Littlefinger wiping cum off a prostitute's face.

Because of course it did.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Game of Thrones had a scene with Littlefinger wiping cum off a prostitute's face.

Play with her arse.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I saw a film, Gaspar Noe's Love in 3D. There was a cumshot that I felt I had to duck to avoid.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rarity posted:

Technically, the opening scene of The Americans had Keri Russell wiping cum off her mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BSam posted:

I saw a film, Gaspar Noe's Love in 3D. There was a cumshot that I felt I had to duck to avoid.

I never saw that but I think Enter the Void had a similar thing during the in-vagina shot.

Never say I don't class up this thread.

• Locked thread