Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

MillennialVulcan posted:

Imagine how many Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians have been summarily executed by their captains for unwittingly falling victim to subspace anomolies, mindcontrol probes, or brainaltering chemically enduced backwards-evolutioning.
That's a really good point. The Star Trek universe is full of all this weird stuff, but we only every see how Starfleet crews react to it. We occasionally get little looks at how other species deal with stuff like this in episodes like in "Dramatis Personae" in DS9 and "Observer Effect" from Enterprise, but it's only ever glimpses. On top of that, do the other empires have to deal with the really weird big things our Federation heroes deal with on a yearly basis? Have the Klingons ever had to fend off a Borg cube? Has a Romulan commander ever had to find a way to kill a star-sized paramecium? Has a Cardassian gul ever had to stand as a representative of his species before an omnipotent energy being?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think "pissed off the wrong nigh-omnipotent energy being" would be a recognized cause of extinction in Star Trek anthropology.

E: duh, exhibit A: the Husnock.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Marshal Radisic posted:

That's a really good point. The Star Trek universe is full of all this weird stuff, but we only every see how Starfleet crews react to it. We occasionally get little looks at how other species deal with stuff like this in episodes like in "Dramatis Personae" in DS9 and "Observer Effect" from Enterprise, but it's only ever glimpses. On top of that, do the other empires have to deal with the really weird big things our Federation heroes deal with on a yearly basis? Have the Klingons ever had to fend off a Borg cube? Has a Romulan commander ever had to find a way to kill a star-sized paramecium? Has a Cardassian gul ever had to stand as a representative of his species before an omnipotent energy being?
I expect this poo poo happens less frequently for them because Starfleet explicitly engages in aggressive missions of exploration and discovery.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MillennialVulcan posted:

Imagine how many Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians have been summarily executed by their captains for unwittingly falling victim to subspace anomolies, mindcontrol probes, or brainaltering chemically enduced backwards-evolutioning.

Things like this simply don't happen to any of the other factions.

Given how finicky it is, how the hell did the Trill ever discover symbiosis?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Beachcomber posted:

probably like unknowingly swallowing a tapeworm that takes over your brain

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

hiddenriverninja posted:

probably like unknowingly swallowing a tapeworm that takes over your brain

Or just makes you extremely susceptible to...suggestion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I think they mention at one point that almost every Trill can have a symbiote, and they keep lying about it because otherwise it would cause a scarcity crisis.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

McSpanky posted:

I think "pissed off the wrong nigh-omnipotent energy being" would be a recognized cause of extinction in Star Trek anthropology.

E: duh, exhibit A: the Husnock.

Or V'ger; how much cataloging did it do? Or Nomad for that that matter.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

It'd be a bit of a pity if it didn't happen to the other empires. Then again, I'm the sort of silly person that hears about stuff like Stargate SG-1 and wonders what sort of cool adventures interstellar adventures the Russians were having.

Beachcomber posted:

I was wondering about this on a comment thread on another site many years ago. Apparently in their natural environment of their little cave pools, symbionts can "talk" to one another with little electrical zaps. There's nothing in the canon confirming it either way, but I assume they can do something similar with unjoined Trill. My personal theory is that, many thousands of centuries ago, some ancient Trills fell into these pools, the symbionts started zapping, and these people began hearing spirits talking in their heads. Over the centuries, interaction between the two species grew, and the two eventually came to realize each species had abilities that could benefit the other; symbionts could hold the wisdom of centuries in their minds, and the Trill had opposable thumbs and legs and stuff. I sort of imagine that for most of Trill history, symbiont pools may have started off as shrines or oracles, and over the course of centuries grew to be maintained by monarchs or noble houses as a status symbol and a living archive, with serious taboos concerning the treatment of the symbionts. Of course, this would be a far from perfect system, and as Trill society evolved into its equivalent of our industrial and modern ages, something like a "symbiont's rights movement" may have developed, with both Trill and symbiont criticizing the "royal/noble pools" as exploitative and demanding a more equitable relationship between the two species. Someone would have eventually come up with the idea of symbiosis, and then it would be the work of a century or two to do the medical research to make it work in a way that doesn't kill the symbiont or force the host to chug anti-rejection drugs for the rest of their lives.

It's a patchwork history, and one that assumes the Trill as a species were not quite as thoughtlessly exploitative as we are, but it's a workable idea that doesn't have things go completely lovely for the symbionts, and could also serve as a decent sf/f premise on its own.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Beachcomber posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's probably just like those mushrooms that take over ant brains except the mushroom is intelligent and the whole experience isn't so unpleasant

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The trill symbiotes are just goauld with good marketing

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MillennialVulcan posted:

This reminds me of some really old Star Trek (we're talking TOS era) board game where all of your away missions are handled by a big book filled with randomized paragraphs. You'd 'beam down' with a handful of iconic characters with specific stats/traits, be told to read paragraph 433, and go to paragraph 242 if you have ~this~ skill, 562 if you don't, etc.

If you got lucky as hell (and were playing the Federation), you'd get a from-a-TOS-episode plot where everything went like it did in the episode. If you weren't, you got what could only be described as a TOS episode mixed (at best) with an 90s Outer Limits ending. If you were the Klingons, your best results were obviously-evil results.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tunicate posted:

The trill symbiotes are just goauld with good marketing

Yeerks with good marketing

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Personally I'm with Hobbes whenever this kind of topic becomes up, not because it's disgusting but because the answer is so blindingly obvious its annoying when someone doesn't think of it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

Nobody, cos they see weird poo poo, fire a volley of torpedoes at it, and warp in the other direction.

This is fun in the Stellaris Trek mod when a quest pops up and as the Federation you feel like following the show plot or investigating, but there's always a "blow it the gently caress up immediately" option that I hammer when I'm playing someone else like Cardassians.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Reasons 9 year old me didn't like ds9

1. No captain
2. They don't go anywhere
3. I thought star trek was beyond religion
4. Annoying bajorans
5. Theme music is boring
6. Runabouts are lame
7. Station doesn't have weapons
8. Station doesn't look federation-y
9. Sisko doesn't like Picard
10. So what if there's a wormhole?
11. Wtf is all this emissary stuff
12. Annoying little kid
13. Bajorans
14. Didn't really get this whole "occupation" deal
15. Everyone didn't just get along
16. Not everyone was starfleet
17. 9 year old me was impossibly lame
18. Bajorans

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
poo poo, most of those are why the show remains the redheaded stepchild of the franchise to this day.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

I'm guessing there was a period where symbiont-havers were semi-immortal god elites, then there was a period where they had wars over the symbiotes, then we approach the present day. The symbiote compatibility lie seems pretty clearly comparable to Earth's trauma over making people into rationally optimized gene-tweaked super-soldiers.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I have an old friend with whom I grew up watching TNG, who to this day refuses to give DS9 a try mainly because it's on a station and Star Trek is about exploration, not sitting on a station

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MillennialVulcan posted:

MikeJF posted:

Nobody, cos they see weird poo poo, fire a volley of torpedoes at it, and warp in the other direction.

Confirmed. This is literally what the Kligons were doing at the start of TMP (they were then summarily executed by V'Ger).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pakled posted:

I have an old friend with whom I grew up watching TNG, who to this day refuses to give DS9 a try mainly because it's on a station and Star Trek is about exploration, not sitting on a station

Try shaming him into it by saying that's exactly what Brannon Braga's attitude was.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I love We Hate Movies so tried their upcharge TNG review show... had to stop because of the constant DS9 bashing (when most of them admit to never having watched it)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
B-b-b-b-but Gene's Vision! :qq:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Pakled posted:

I'm kind of curious what the percentage is of TNG episodes (or even TOS for that matter) where they are actually exploring instead of dealing with established colonies and other known nations. By your friend's logic, Voyager is the best series by probably a wide margin.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pakled posted:

If only DS9 were about the exploration of the human condition as it pertains to war and religion :thunk:

No offense, but your friend sounds like one of those people that hates when Star Trek "gets all political and preachy".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm kind of curious what the percentage is of TNG episodes (or even TOS for that matter) where they are actually exploring instead of dealing with established colonies and other known nations. By your friend's logic, Voyager is the best series by probably a wide margin.
Maybe there's something about Ben Sisko that colors people's opinion of the character.

More seriously you could probably say that they do do a lot of exploration stuff in the Gamma Quadrant, though it is obviously less of a focus than in TNG.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

Early on the exploring is common, but it diminishes in focus I think. I couldn't say how much of that is perception though. It doesn't always turn out the way you might think. I remember making a comparison of the old and new Doctor Who and finding that even the 3rd Doctor, who was exiled to Earth and had the TARDIS disabled, spent more time offplanet than the new series did.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Other Star Treks are about humans exploring aliens; DS9 is about aliens exploring humans. So get over your human privilege!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Other Star Treks are about humans exploring aliens; DS9 is about aliens exploring humans. So get over your human privilege!

And exploring the occasional Trill. :heysexy:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I love how the DS9 computer is an unhelpful piece of poo poo. It's like

CREW: What if we did *complicated :techno: * to the *ship system*?

ENTERPRISE COMPUTER: (instantly) *helpful answer*

DS9 COMPUTER: (long pause) Don't do that.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Aliens find ancient superweapons and god-like beings all the time, the problem is that the Federation always magically jumps in and blows it up before they can use them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I also like how an alien takes over the DS9 computer and is immediately discovered because it's too helpful and fast.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

I also like how an alien takes over the DS9 computer and is immediately discovered because it's too helpful and fast.

And then they contain it in a subroutine and it was never heard from again. It would have been kind of cool if it had helped out in the next season's Defensive Measures, even as a throwaway line.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Arglebargle III posted:

Which episode was this?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Kira: Computer, determine origin of the weapon.

Computer: Unable to comply. Analysis contains censored listing.

Kira: *cough* Remove censor filters and complete analysis.

Computer: Weapon originated from the ungrateful and degenerate planet of Bajor. It is classified as a weak, pathetic, and cowardly weapon often mishandled by ignorant Bajoran terrorists.

Kira: Put the filters back in place.

Computer: Unable to comply, Bajoran filth detected. Please proceed to the nearest airlock.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

vermin posted:

Kira: Computer, determine origin of the weapon.

Computer: Unable to comply. Analysis contains censored listing.

Kira: *cough* Remove censor filters and complete analysis.

Computer: Weapon originated from the ungrateful and degenerate planet of Bajor. It is classified as a weak, pathetic, and cowardly weapon often mishandled by ignorant Bajoran terrorists.

Kira: Put the filters back in place.

Computer: Unable to comply, Bajoran filth detected. Please proceed to the nearest airlock.

Cardassians rule, Bajorans drool.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Sisko was pretty close-minded about Dukat and the Pah-Wraiths.

E: Also Picard and Riker about the "superior" form of life in Conspiracy. Or maybe open minded in that particular case.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 1, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mike the TV posted:

And then they contain it in a subroutine and it was never heard from again. It would have been kind of cool if it had helped out in the next season's Defensive Measures, even as a throwaway line.

Oh no, does that mean they murdered it when they flee the dominion?

Picard very bitchy at the beginning of Genesis. I understand Data is along for plot reasons, but otherwise it doesn't really make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

King Hong Kong posted:

Sisko was pretty close-minded about Dukat and the Pah-Wraiths.

E: Also Picard and Riker about the "superior" form of life in Conspiracy. Or maybe open minded in that particular case.

Starfleet is an incredibly racist (speciest?) organization and always has been, they're just good at convincing people otherwise