Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

univbee posted:

A bit of an off-the-wall question: are there IPS patches for Genesis/Megadrive games which modify games for 6-button controllers? For example, making it so that games which support them but default to assuming you have a 3-button, now have the default option set to 6-button? Or games which were originally 3-button games which got patched for 6 buttons in some capacity?

They exist for certain games but they're not common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mycophobia posted:

You don't have to call me a loving idiot you know....

For you, I'll do something worse and use the L-word: literally an idiot.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/cinemassacre/status/889506226899386368

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Techokami posted:

[3:03 PM] Techokami: at least it isn't as bad of a kludge as having to put a new CPU in the game cartridge because the console itself is complete garbo[/code]

:drat: :iceburn:

I'm assuming this is a jab at the SFC/SNES. Then I remembered MD did it too with Virtua Racing.

Is that loving Hong Kong '97 or whatever? My brain immediately started playing that dumb song, thanks brain

Of all the things to release on vinyl :psyduck:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://youtu.be/7rPiqo397lM

Did anyone want this

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm looking forward to the remake of...

poo poo, I'm trying to think of a blander, more generic late 90's video game for a hilarious comparison and I'm coming up short.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rob Zombie?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Remake Skeleton Warriors

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Assuming you have an Android phone, I can guarantee you a preorder if you follow a little trick I came up with:

Go to nowinstock.net and register your cell phone to receive notifications for the snes classic. MAKE SURE you specify this includes notifications for pre-orders because this is not on by default.

Go to the Google Play Store and download the app called Where's My Droid.

In the app you can set up a trigger text if you ever lose your phone. By default it's something like WMD Find or something, meaning if you text yourself that from another person's phone, your phone will make loud horrible noises even with the phone being on silent.

Change the phrase to nowinstock

You will now be alerted of an snes classic preorder going up even if you are sleeping, in a movie theater, or at a funeral. You can thank me with a virtual beer clank.

Don't share this life pro tip on any other forums please because I really want one too.

Quoting from the past - thanks for sharing this tool, never knew about it before

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Remake Skeleton Warriors

Social Justice Warrior Warriors?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm looking forward to the remake of...

poo poo, I'm trying to think of a blander, more generic late 90's video game for a hilarious comparison and I'm coming up short.

Lone Soldier 2. Steel Harbinger Neo. Machine Head Reloaded. Krazy Ivan Returns. Brahma Force Final: The Assault on Beltlogger 10.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, it's hard to believe somebody went through all this effort for what'll just boil down to "我爱北京天安门,天安门上太阳升" ad nauseam for what I'm going to assume is like an hour. That's real commitment to a gag.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah, it's hard to believe somebody went through all this effort for what'll just boil down to "我爱北京天安门,天安门上太阳升" ad nauseam for what I'm going to assume is like an hour. That's real commitment to a gag.

Those look to be maybe 7 inch records, with less than 2/3 of the available track length used on each side. So that's like a 2 or 3 minute track per side depending on how they recorded things, more likely to be the 2 minute length per side or less.

And for what it's worth, various vinyl production places could churn out a 5 copy run like the cover claims for under a thousand bucks, you just provide them with the recorded tracks and record art.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

No I mean what the gently caress am I looking at

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A record for the music of SNES bootleg Hong Kong '97.

Its music lasts five seconds.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

mother of god

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Those look to be maybe 7 inch records, with less than 2/3 of the available track length used on each side. So that's like a 2 or 3 minute track per side depending on how they recorded things, more likely to be the 2 minute length per side or less.

And for what it's worth, various vinyl production places could churn out a 5 copy run like the cover claims for under a thousand bucks, you just provide them with the recorded tracks and record art.

Wait, it's real? I assumed it was a joke mock up.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Nightmare Creatures 2 on Dreamcast was cool.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe I'm the first to post the news but the NES version of Sim City has finally been found!!

I cannot contain my excitement. It's the second most wanted prototype discovery for me (1st being SNES CD Secret of Mana). I loved the SNES one so much and I can't wait to hear the awesome soundtrack in 8 bit. That is, if the person who owns it leaks it (please tell me TheRedEye owns it).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm sure even if it was finished it would not be a good port given the NES's limitations, but it is a port I really want to see since I'm curious about how they did things. I wonder if this is more of a proof of concept prototype or a development checkpoint prototype...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7-M_LcqJsc

There's a video, apparently you will be able to play it at the Portland Retro gaming festival.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Holy gently caress those are some annoying voices. Hopefully they dump it and don't get all dickish and hold it hostage like some other people do. Not that I have any desire to play it whatsoever, but for archive sake.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Aaahhhh quit talking over it!!!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

What an itty bitty map.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

apparently you will be able to play it at the Portland Retro gaming festival.

I guess he's not going to dump it because then he won't be "the guy with the prototype game" anymore

Phantasium posted:

What an itty bitty map.

That 2 KB of RAM is a bitch for these kinds of games. If you have a 50x50 map and you can represent each tile with a half-byte (for example) you've already blown through 1250 of your 2048 bytes.

Some cartridge configurations added RAM so maybe that could have been done to accommodate more tiles, but for a square map doubling the dimensions quadruples the RAM needed as well as the CPU time needed to run the simulation so I can understand why the project was abandoned. It would be hard to balance a satisfying game against those limitations.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 4, 2017

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
holy poo poo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

I guess he's not going to dump it because then he won't be "the guy with the prototype game" anymore

That 2 KB of RAM is a bitch for these kinds of games. If you have a 50x50 map and you can represent each tile with a half-byte (for example) you've already blown through 1250 of your 2048 bytes.

Some cartridge configurations added RAM so maybe that could have been done to accommodate more tiles, but for a square map doubling the dimensions quadruples the RAM needed as well as the CPU time needed to run the simulation so I can understand why the project was abandoned. It would be hard to balance a satisfying game against those limitations.

Apparently it uses the MMC5 memory mapper so that should add some extra RAM.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Which reminds me, the Kickstarter to finish Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill and release it is still going.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

There's a video, apparently you will be able to play it at the Portland Retro gaming festival.

BattleMaster posted:

Watch somebody spill a drink all over it and ruin it and cause an interesting bit of gaming history to be forever lost due to that.

Which reminds me, the Kickstarter to finish Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill and release it is still going.
They keep blabbing on about their NES homebrew games in every KS update, which is like, who gives a poo poo? I just want the lost Sunsoft game, please, not your Fix-It Felix ripoff.

(Well, I suppose the people who backed at a higher tier than I did might care, but I certainly do not.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Apparently two separate copies were discovered recently?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Apparently two separate copies were discovered recently?

The same guy has both of them :(

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Time for one-sentence-or-less reviews of all the Gameboy (and GBA) games I brought with me on vacation!

Super Battletank: Looks pretty impressive but is kinda boring.
Revenge of the Gator: :allears:
Batman: :swoon:
Hyper Lode Runner: Every last little drat things needs to be done in a very specific, perfect order and I lost interest.
Micro Machines: Fun but controls kinda slippery.
Qix: :hellyeah:
Bart Simpsons Escape from Camp Deadly: The voices are pretty cool but this game is typically dumb and bad Acclaim crap.
Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle: Like a mix of platformer and Pacman but kinda dull.
Super RC Pro Am: Fun, but after a few races it does that drat thing where suddenly one car becomes an uncatchable fireball. :argh:

Cartoon Network Collection Vol. 1: Courage the Cowardly Dog owns.
Fire Pro Wrestling: Still can't figure out the controls, I should probably look those up.
Capcom Classics Collection: One sentence for each.
-Mighty Final Fight: Great little NES beat-em-up and likely the only way I'll ever get to play it at this point.
-Bionic Commando: Fun but I don't know if I'll ever get around to beating it.
-Strider: Flawed but still remains a favorite of mine possibly due to Stockholm Syndrome.

This thread reminded me that I need to finally get a copy of Sim City.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

This thread reminded me that I need to finally get a copy of Sim City.

SNES Sim City is legitimately the best port of the original. The only thing it's lacking is support for custom tilesets.

If you want the best Sim City game to play, 3000 is the best. 4000 starts to break down under the bloat and we do not talk about the 2013 Sim City.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
SNES Sim City with the god mode code that wasn't discovered until 3 years ago

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SNES Sim City with the god mode code that wasn't discovered until 3 years ago

Wasn't it not "discovered", but the programmer going "well I'd better tell them or they'll never find it on their own"?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

If SNES Sim City had the lunar colony graphics it'd be perfect.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Wasn't it not "discovered", but the programmer going "well I'd better tell them or they'll never find it on their own"?

That was Shadowrun.

Here is where the Sim City God mode code was discovered: https://forum.starmen.net/forum/General/BFG/Crazy-Glitched-Sim-City-Cart/first

It's a very entertaining read

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

SNES Sim City is legitimately the best port of the original. The only thing it's lacking is support for custom tilesets.

If you want the best Sim City game to play, 3000 is the best. 4000 starts to break down under the bloat and we do not talk about the 2013 Sim City.

Nah the best SimCity is SimCity 2000 for Windows 95 with the fanpatch that lets it run on Windows 7 and up (the patch fixes how the game attempts to open file browser dialogs, since attempting to do that crashes on 7 and up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

That was Shadowrun.

There's a code for Shadowrun?

• Locked thread