Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

regulargonzalez posted:

I never knew I wanted this show until right now. A Mad Men-esque prestige drama about not-Glenn Miller

Currently trademarking my mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Accretionist posted:

The first ten minutes of Comrade Detective have so many A+ little touches and throw away lines that I'm probably going to marathon this whole thing.

What service is it on?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

10 Beers posted:

What service is it on?
Amazon dot com.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

is it a translation or did they just make poo poo up to match the blocking? reminds me of mindhorn a little bit

It's new footage shot specifically for the show.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

OH. I think I get it now. It does feel very modern

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, Comrade Detective is pretty good! I'm on the second episode now. It's so weird hearing everyone talk about how great Communism is and "What Would Lenin Do?"

Excited to watch the rest!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

air- posted:

Warning everyone, please don't watch Disjointed. It's just Big Bang Theory, except stoners. I thought the opening gag was just a joke, but the laugh track didn't end :barf: I had to shut it off after 5 mins.
I watched the first episode of this high with a friend and it was just weird. I don't know a lot about Lorre and I never watched Big Bang Theory, but wtf. I think it got one laugh out of me and I was really high, so that should tell you that it mostly provoked anxiety and bafflement
like there's a whole freaky PTSD gag with spoken poetry...was that meant to make me laugh or cry? he's just like staring ahead with dead eyes.
THIS was the dark side of marijuana legalization :( just say no.
my lasting impression of Chuck Lorre was "Did this motherfucker just sign off with an elaborate medieval crest?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

But Kohan has actually made some good TV seasons (season 1 of Weeds, half of the seasons of OITNB, and GLOW so far)

While I agree with this it's worth noting that she didn't really have any direct involvement with GLOW.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I just started watching Comrade Detective, and even just twenty minutes in, it's fantastic. The repeated digs at capitalism and glorification of communism is just hilarious. It's also awesome that they shot in Romania with local actors. Honestly, the only "problem" is that it's shot so beautifully, it looks way too modern.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I just started watching Comrade Detective, and even just twenty minutes in, it's fantastic. The repeated digs at capitalism and glorification of communism is just hilarious. It's also awesome that they shot in Romania with local actors. Honestly, the only "problem" is that it's shot so beautifully, it looks way too modern.

For me what's amazing is that it keeps getting better and the "joke" doesn't wear thin, ever. It's played so sincerely. One of the best new shows in recent memory.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

For me what's amazing is that it keeps getting better and the "joke" doesn't wear thin, ever. It's played so sincerely. One of the best new shows in recent memory.
So far you've had avatars from The Handmaid's Tale and Patriot, both of which I've loved, so I'm glad to hear this from you.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Watched three minutes of Disjointed, don't want the time back, unless it can be turned into a physical object, so I can burn it.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Everything leaving Netflix/Hulu/HBO in September

Looks like HBO is losing lots of quality content this time.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I used to put stuff like Psych, Murder She Wrote, and Columbo up on my second monitor while doing other things, but all three aren't on Netflix anymore (along with the first half of Poirot, which is also a bummer). What are some good mystery shows like those on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Same thing for me. I'm interested in more suggestions for 'music substitute' shows, like the ones mentioned. Kolchack, the Night Salker was another good one, but they took it off Netflix. Father Brown is okay, but you reach a point where it just needs to stop.

I watched Burn Notice twice through, and its perfect for this, because it's basically your mom's action show, so the stakes are low and you never need to drop what you're doing to look at it, plus it has a great rhythm.

The Office was another good suggestion.

Unsolved Mysteries on Amazon is pretty good, but too many mysteries are a little too toothless, like stolen sports memorabilia, treasure hunters devoting their entire life to finding lost gold valued at $200,000, a world war II missed connection, or a haunted boat where someone heard a noise once.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Same thing for me. I'm interested in more suggestions for 'music substitute' shows, like the ones mentioned. Kolchack, the Night Salker was another good one, but they took it off Netflix. Father Brown is okay, but you reach a point where it just needs to stop.

I watched Burn Notice twice through, and its perfect for this, because it's basically your mom's action show, so the stakes are low and you never need to drop what you're doing to look at it, plus it has a great rhythm.

The Office was another good suggestion.

Unsolved Mysteries on Amazon is pretty good, but too many mysteries are a little too toothless, like stolen sports memorabilia, treasure hunters devoting their entire life to finding lost gold valued at $200,000, a world war II missed connection, or a haunted boat where someone heard a noise once.

Forensic Files has been my go-to for this for a while. Netflix has like 9 "collections" up, and I believe each one has 40 episodes. So there's an assload of them if you just keep it in for something to only half-watch.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Thank you to whomever posted about Grand Designs. Far and away my favorite show on Netflix right now. I really dig the houses that blend modern architecture and function, especially that shipping container house out in rural Northern Ireland. The host's phrase how "the building made the place better" was spot on.

Anyone else watch Icarus? What a wild ride and the documentary maker straight up hit the jackpot :staredog:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I watched the first episode of this high with a friend and it was just weird. I don't know a lot about Lorre and I never watched Big Bang Theory, but wtf. I think it got one laugh out of me and I was really high, so that should tell you that it mostly provoked anxiety and bafflement
like there's a whole freaky PTSD gag with spoken poetry...was that meant to make me laugh or cry? he's just like staring ahead with dead eyes.
THIS was the dark side of marijuana legalization :( just say no.
my lasting impression of Chuck Lorre was "Did this motherfucker just sign off with an elaborate medieval crest?"

Just keep in mind that Chuck Lorre and CBS in general caters to the lowest of the lowest common denominator.

I seem to remember one time Lorre ranting in an interview that he didn't understand why Arrested Development gets so much praise, when really it's just like his own sitcoms.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry but I just have to bitch about how dumb Ozark is for a second. Finally finished it yesterday and this show sucks. it's shot well, and the acting usually ranges from OK to very good, Jason Bateman is great and whoever plays Ruth is solid, too bad literally every other character is terrible. I won't even talk about any of the protagonists or side characters, because they are all so unremarkable they aren't worth talking about. But the villains...These guys have to be the lamest set of villains I have seen in a long time. First, there is the Cartel guy. I know he's supposed to be monitoring Bateman, but it seriously comes off like his cartel has nothing better to do with their time than bother him. He just flies back and forth all the time and he came off as totally incompetent, from the second he threw Laura Linneys boyfriend out the window. Like, seriously why would you throw someone off a hi rise into downtown Chicago, then proceed to just sit there for an hour so you can have your brooding monologue. Good thing the show is poorly written enough that no one other than Bateman saw it, and no one bothered to check the guys apartment in that entire time while he was squashed on the street. He's so sloppy it seems fitting he got blasted in the face over some random bullshit. His boss should have killed him eons ago. Batemans plan is also stupid to begin with. Yes, lets go to a place where we will be 100 times more visible and see how laundering millions of dollars works out through these small unsuccessful businesses which we publicly acquired through brute force works out.

The Cartel pales in comparison to the Shcnells (sp?) though. First off they are the two worst actors in the show. They are both completely unconvincing as scary badasses and that woman's facial expressions were genuinely irritating. She has two of them. Corny deliberation and stroking the gently caress out and she always looks like an idiot. Her husband also can't act and feels like some second rate evil colonel sanders. Their distribution plan is sooooooo loving stupid. Yes, lets secretly put heroin in the bibles at a church service. Apparently this amazing idea is super critical to their survival. Like just hiding it on boats wouldn't be more ideal in every way, but this extra step is so critical to them for some reason that is beyond comprehension. Also, they kill anyone who gets in their way, but their entire muscle power is two old people and one bumpkin that follows them around. I guess they have some dealers too, but they are totally unconvincing as powerful or scary. Considering their actions I kind of can't believe they managed to stay alive until the events of the show.

Don't even get me started on the FBI guy or his master plan...

Ozark sucks.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 2, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if its the incorrect one I suppose.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Little Evil is up, wasn't interested until I saw it was by the guy who made Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Anyone watch it yet?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ozark is pulpy genre trash with a slick, high-budget presentation, just like the majority of "prestige" TV dramas.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, btw. But don't get mad when the realization hits you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Ozark is pulpy genre trash with a slick, high-budget presentation, just like the majority of "prestige" TV dramas.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, btw. But don't get mad when the realization hits you.

I'm ok with that and I still just felt like it's a bad show. Maybe it's because it's so drat self serious.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching it, so it's not all bad. But make no mistake. it's pretty bad.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I didn't feel like it was too self serious, and I usually hate that, it's why I put off True Detective for so long

maybe just can't take bateman seriously in any role, he seemed like he was smirking at the camera constantly in Ozark

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A MIRACLE posted:

I didn't feel like it was too self serious, and I usually hate that, it's why I put off True Detective for so long

Trudy Tective Season 1 is funny as gently caress.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Trudy Tective Season 1 is funny as gently caress.

Tbh I still can't figure out if Mcconaughey was supposed to be as funny as he was or not.

I still really liked season one until the last few episodes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It was funny, but to an outsider it looked like another tryhard cable drama and I've had enough of those, I only watch comedy and action now for the most part

Gonna have to recommend Hello My Twenties to the thread now, it's the only Korean show I've ever watched but it was good as heck

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Consider that Woody is playing the straight man. The most serious character in the show is Michelle Monaghan, trying to corral these emotionally constipated men.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was season 2 as unwatchable as people made it out to be? I still haven't got around to watching it, but I'd give it a chance if it was half as entertaining as the first season.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I didn't finish S2. It was very bad. Turns out, S1's magic was 50% plagiarism and 50% that really great director.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

veni veni veni posted:

Was season 2 as unwatchable as people made it out to be? I still haven't got around to watching it, but I'd give it a chance if it was half as entertaining as the first season.

Literally all I remember of the 2-3 episodes I watched of season 2 is Colin Farrell making a really cliche observation about e-cigs being like sucking a robot's dick and Vince Vaughan trying to deliver some monologue while laying in bed.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Season 2 was fine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hahahaha Comrade Detective is loving amazing. Up to episode 6 and they NEVER drop the joke about communism vs capitalism. "When Romania protests, the whole world listens!" bwahahahah holy poo poo

"Aaaah my baby!" *US marine buttstock slams a pregnant woman*

E: VVVVVV Little Evil is available?! gently caress yes!

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 3, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Little Evil is one of the best things I've seen from Netflix.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

veni veni veni posted:

There was one really good episode that was filmed like a 50s noir or heist film. The rest was very slightly above average.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Narcos season 3 is really solid so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked True Detective S2 a whole lot, my only problem was that a lot of interesting plot threads ended in bizarrely anticlimactic wet farts (like motorcycle gaycop)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

drunken officeparty posted:

Season 2 was fine.

It wasn't.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

It was.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Little Evil was fuckin rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A MIRACLE posted:

Little Evil was fuckin rad

Yeah I'd never even heard of it and was looking for something to watch, so I checked it out. Pretty good, though Bridget Everett's whole I'm a man, hey bro, let's go to the man cave, I'm a dad see I'm a dad hey bro. shtick got old fast, but I'm not a big fan of her anyway.