Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtArseCandle
Sep 28, 2009
Any kind goon could recommend good necromancy mods? I haven't tried skyrim modding since a few years back and looking on the nexus and workshop there is about a dozen of the mods and I expect with greatly varying quality.

Ideal would be something that removes the level cap on the minions to be raised and ideally raises/removes the cap on the number of minions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SgtArseCandle posted:

Any kind goon could recommend good necromancy mods? I haven't tried skyrim modding since a few years back and looking on the nexus and workshop there is about a dozen of the mods and I expect with greatly varying quality.

Ideal would be something that removes the level cap on the minions to be raised and ideally raises/removes the cap on the number of minions.

Ordinator has a bunch of fun conjuration perks including making permanent skeleton minions, but doesn't abolish the minion cap.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Undeath is fun. You just have to be careful about rolling into town with your skelefriends, since Nords aren't too cool on necromancy.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Are there any mods that give innate magic resistance via regular armor? My idea is about half the armor rating would go into physical protection and half would go into magic protection. I want to play a heavy armor wearer who crafts her own armor that can survive pesky mages and dragons without going down the enchanting rabbit hole.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nelson posted:

Are there any mods that give innate magic resistance via regular armor? My idea is about half the armor rating would go into physical protection and half would go into magic protection. I want to play a heavy armor wearer who crafts her own armor that can survive pesky mages and dragons without going down the enchanting rabbit hole.

There's a mod that let's you pay other people to craft armor, there might be one that lets you pay other people to enchant it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

nelson posted:

Pretty sure SPERG has a perk that does this.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

There's a mod that let's you pay other people to craft armor, there might be one that lets you pay other people to enchant it.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it allows for both.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Are there any mods that make heavy weapons meatier? Big heavy sounds, huge puffs of smoke and dirt when hitting things etc.

Basically the giant club smash special effect.

Yes I just finished dark souls again.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 8, 2017

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

im using the Smart Souls mod and it was working great for a while but now its been telling me i dont have the right gem size (grand) but i do have a bunch of empty grand gems. any idea whats going on or how to fix it?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kly posted:

im using the Smart Souls mod and it was working great for a while but now its been telling me i dont have the right gem size (grand) but i do have a bunch of empty grand gems. any idea whats going on or how to fix it?

Human souls are technically grand, so it's probably that you have no black gems.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

thats exactly it, thanks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kly posted:

If you're looking to fill grand soul gems, hunt down mammoths. There are other sources, but Mammoths are the easiest to find.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So is there like an actual somewhat easy to install modular kind of huge overhaul thing like OOC back in the day for oblivion or am i doing this the old fashioned way.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

So is there like an actual somewhat easy to install modular kind of huge overhaul thing like OOC back in the day for oblivion or am i doing this the old fashioned way.
*Has flashbacks to FCOM* :shepicide:
There's no modular pack. But maybe the "Nexus Skyrim Overhaul" is something you're interested in if you want a whole bunch of mods without spending a lot of time installing them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is FCOM still a thing? Didn't someone finally make a "just extract this" version of it?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

I gave up on waiting for SKSE64 and modded Skyrim SE for a new playthrough, last night. Here is my modlist:

GameMode=SkyrimSE

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp=1
BSAssets.esm=1
BSHeartland.esm=1
BS_DLC_patch.esp=1
Campfire.esm=1
Falskaar.esm=1
TravellersOfSkyrim.esm=1
Cutting Room Floor.esp=1
SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp=1
Vivid WeathersSE.esp=1
IcePenguinWorldMap.esp=1
Uncle Sheo Legendary.esp=1
Modern Brawl Bug Fix.esp=1
reflection-levelupmessages.esp=1
Footprints.esp=1
UnreadBooksGlow.esp=1
When Vampires Attack.esp=1
WeightLessTrueAll.esp=1
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp=1
BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp=1
TravellersOfSkyrim - Vanilla.esp=1
TravellersOfSkyrim - Dragonborn Addon.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
Vivid Weathers - Extended Rain.esp=1
Perk Points at Skill Levels 50-75-100.esp=1
Thief skills rebalance for Ordinator.esp=1
Aurora - Standing Stones of Skyrim.esp=1
Smilodon - Combat of Skyrim.esp=1
Summermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim.esp=1
WARZONES - SSE - Civil Unrest.esp=1
3DNPC.esp=1
Beasts of Tamriel.esp=1
Eli_Breezehome.esp=1
Better Harvesting.esp=1
OBIS SE.esp=1
BirdsOfSkyrim_SSE.esp=1
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp=1
Ordinator - Beyond Skyrim Bruma Patch.esp=1
Thunderchild - Epic Shout Package.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
Sacrosanct - Vampires of Skyrim.esp=1
Point The Way.esp=1
Run For Your Lives.esp=1
Ars Metallica.esp=1
EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp=1
Inigo.esp=1
Darkwater Crossing.esp=1
Frostfall.esp=1
Cloaks.esp=1
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp=1
Cloaks - USSEP Patch.esp=1
DiverseDragonsCollectionSE.esp=1
EMViljaInSolstheimAddOn.esp=1
Complete Pack.esp=1
Immersive Patrols II.esp=1
Shor's Stone.esp=1
Ivarstead.esp=1
SofiaFollower.esp=1
Helarchen Creek.esp=1
Provincial Courier Service.esp=1
Kynesgrove.esp=1
Whistling Mine.esp=1
Soljund's Sinkhole.esp=1
Eli_RiverwoodShack.esp=1
Karthwasten.esp=1
Eli_Routa.esp=1
Dragon Bridge.esp=1
notice board.esp=1
ForgottenCity.esp=1
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp=1
magic of the magna-ge.esp=1
Convenient Horses.esp=1
moonpath.esp=1
DragonLordSwords.esp=1
Jormundandr Dragon.esp=1
WetandCold.esp=1
Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim.esp=1
Apocalypse - Ordinator Compatibility Patch.esp=1
ValkyrieSwordShield.esp=1
Nightingale Prime remaster.esp=1
Imperious - Races of Skyrim.esp=1
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp=1
xedits.esp=1
Bashed Patch, 0.esp=1

Anyone notice something particularly terrible hiding in there? I basically just went through and grabbed the most downloaded/endorsed mods on nexus from the past year, with some guidance curated from the OP. LOOT'd, SSEEdit, and Wrye'd it. Looking forward to rolling with all of Enai Siaion's mods. Getting Interesting NPCs installed was a total pain.

man, something from this list has totally messed with the mage guild quest "Hitting the Books". There are golems throughout the dungeon now, okay fine, I dealt with them. But the final boss, "The Caller", now summons two godlike hellhounds instead of the usual atronarchs or whatever. They insanely overpowered. I'm not sure which mod is doing this. Anyone seen that before?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Is there a reason for mod organizer constantly spitting out errors about not having enough storage? I have over 100gb on my ssd and 1tb on my other hard drive so space isn't an issue. I have to constantly restart MO to run executables because these errors force it to close.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Is FCOM still a thing? Didn't someone finally make a "just extract this" version of it?

maskars is fcom and more (note: it just does the same thing, it doesn't use any of the fcom mods)

there's no real reason to run anything else

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

GunnerJ, in the OP posted:

No, there is no one stop mega-modpack that you can just download and install in one shot because reasons. I'll repeat in stronger terms: THERE IS NO ONE STOP MEGA-MODPACK THAT YOU CAN JUST DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL, FORGET ABOUT IT.

However, Installing all of EnaiSiaion's mods for Oldrim or SE is a workable overhaul.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

pmchem posted:

man, something from this list has totally messed with the mage guild quest "Hitting the Books". There are golems throughout the dungeon now, okay fine, I dealt with them. But the final boss, "The Caller", now summons two godlike hellhounds instead of the usual atronarchs or whatever. They insanely overpowered. I'm not sure which mod is doing this. Anyone seen that before?

I would guess it's coming from Beasts of Tamriel, just glancing at your mod list. Don't think this mod has any toggles for spawns in its SE incarnation, though.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

NuclearPotato posted:

I would guess it's coming from Beasts of Tamriel, just glancing at your mod list. Don't think this mod has any toggles for spawns in its SE incarnation, though.

I think you're probably right and will dig into that mod's changes later. I ended up using godmode to kill the hell hounds (yes: hell hounds not death hounds) since the room entry was also bugged and my followers couldn't get in to assist. If the NPCs are cheating then I will too! I was wearing decent full heavy armor and had a potion of resist fire rolling, but those hounds took me from 185 hp to zero in the time it took me to cast a single spell, and potions of healing didn't even make a difference. I was almost wondering if it was related to the SSE "double npc perks" bug, but I reloaded multiple times to hopefully avoid that.

Both me and the hounds were level 16.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Agents are GO! posted:

However, Installing all of EnaiSiaion's mods for Oldrim or SE is a workable overhaul.

Yeah, I know, it's just so hard to determine with skyrim modding wether or not the thing you're asking about actually just got released and people haven't posted it or people just posted it about but you missed the posts.

So should I be good with everything core gameplay and mechanics wise from pulling poo poo in the OP and just add whatever various outfits and stuff like that after? I want to overhaul the weather obviously, combat being better would be a plus, and just quality of life stuff other than that really.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The parts of the OP I wrote are more-or-less my modlist, so yes.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How do you pronounce EnaiSiasion anyway?

"Ee-nay See-ya-sion?"

"An azee-asian?"

"Een-eye Shaw-shawn?"

These are the questions that burn in my brain at night. :(

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's "Jeff".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

help I have like six games to play including million hour long things like Original Sin 2 and I'm feeling the urge to install Skyrim again for some godforsaken reason

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

help I have like six games to play including million hour long things like Original Sin 2 and I'm feeling the urge to install Skyrim again for some godforsaken reason

Don't worry, you won't actually play Skyrim.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I have a few tips to offer to help you get that essential Skyrim experience bet still enable you to work on your backlog. Install the game,
Install the posh mudcrab mod, and start up a new game. Then take the following steps to ensure a complete Skyrim experience:

Spend no less than 15 minutes in character creation.

Put a bucket on the shopkeeper's head in Riverwood and steal everything not nailed down.

Go outside and look at a posh mudcrab.

Say out loud "Jesus Christ Arthmoor what were you thinking?!"

Steal a horse and climb vertically up a mountain.

Shout a goat off said mountain.

Ragdoll down the side of the mountain.

Close Skyrim and install a mod that puts tits on a mudcrab.

Go back to your backlog.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Bob NewSCART posted:

...I want to overhaul the weather obviously...

what's the problem people have with the weather in game? doesnt look nice enough?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Kly posted:

what's the problem people have with the weather in game? doesnt look nice enough?

My problem with it is that once i saw how dramatic and impactful it could be with a good ENB and weather overhaul mod, i couldn't play without :negative:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
SKSE64 is out (in an alpha release, anyway)

It's on the official site too in case you're wary of a random reddit post by one of the developers

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Threep posted:

SKSE64 is out (in an alpha release, anyway)

It's on the official site too in case you're wary of a random reddit post by one of the developers

HUH.

Gyshall posted:

Seems like Creation Club killed any chance of SKSE64

Varance posted:

They release a new executable with every release, to make sure you can't use Creation Club mods without proper authorization. The inclusion of directly download mods in the Fallout 4 release of Creation Club is more or less a honeypot to see how the community can circumvent the system in order to make those files work without purchase, so that they can lock it down further.

Each new release of executable makes changes to file structure authorization and breaks script extenders in spectacular ways. If someone figures out how to use F4SE to override Creation Club authorization, you can pretty much say goodbye to F4SE (and SKSE64 by extension).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY_BuLo5z-M

Id actually like to go back and find the people who were being really loving :qq: salty about it but it's not really worth the effort. Especially the guy who was complaining about how the SKSE team wouldn't accept outside help.

My thing about that is that it seems the knowledge needed to work on something like SKSE64 - both deep programming knowledge and a deep familiarity with the Skyrim exe file - probably exists only in the brains of the people now working on SKSE64, and probably wouldn't be any easier to pass on than to finish themselves.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 12, 2017

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The SkyrimSE executable isn't encrypted like Prey, is it? If it's not, then it's mostly a lot of tedium going through assembly in a debugger to figure out where all the structures and methods are stored. You'd need to be deeply familiar with data structures, memory allocation, the AMD64 architecture, Microsoft's calling conventions, operating a standalone debugger (which are usually extremely spartan, text-based programs with commands that might appear arcane to higher-level developers), and various C++-isms like name mangling, and at least have some familiarity with the AMD64 instruction set, PE32+, static and dynamic linking, process image structure, and image loading, along with all the other stuff a C++/Win32/D3D programmer should know. Some of this stuff is not the same as it is on plain x86, notably the calling conventions. If it's encrypted, then it's a hell of a lot harder unless you want to go into :filez: territory, since you have to reverse engineer the encryption without the program realizing it's in a debugger and banning you from Steam or some poo poo. Most of these people are either employed with big-deal businesses/governments that would fire them for even touching this, or they're black hats that are developing cracks or malware and don't want to call attention to themselves.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well I'll be damned.

I mean, it's not really a full release yet, but progress is progress.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

The SkyrimSE executable isn't encrypted like Prey, is it? If it's not, then it's mostly a lot of tedium going through assembly in a debugger to figure out where all the structures and methods are stored. You'd need to be deeply familiar with data structures, memory allocation, the AMD64 architecture, Microsoft's calling conventions, operating a standalone debugger (which are usually extremely spartan, text-based programs with commands that might appear arcane to higher-level developers), and various C++-isms like name mangling, and at least have some familiarity with the AMD64 instruction set, PE32+, static and dynamic linking, process image structure, and image loading, along with all the other stuff a C++/Win32/D3D programmer should know. Some of this stuff is not the same as it is on plain x86, notably the calling conventions. If it's encrypted, then it's a hell of a lot harder unless you want to go into :filez: territory, since you have to reverse engineer the encryption without the program realizing it's in a debugger and banning you from Steam or some poo poo. Most of these people are either employed with big-deal businesses/governments that would fire them for even touching this, or they're black hats that are developing cracks or malware and don't want to call attention to themselves.

This says what I was trying to say, but better.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
just when I thought I got away clean they pullll me back in again :negative:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Dongattack posted:

My problem with it is that once i saw how dramatic and impactful it could be with a good ENB and weather overhaul mod, i couldn't play without

A good weather overhaul doesn't make-or-break the game but does more for immersion than just about anything besides ENB itself. My vcard can't even handle ENB but True Storms takes things from "huh its raining" to actually feeling damp and miserable and desperate to get indoors, and adding a few others like Minty's Lightning (might want to tone that down from the "wrath of God" default settings) can result in a truly Night on a Bald Mountain experience. Nothing like noticing it suddenly getting dark and overcast and starting to sprinkle and thinking oh poo poo.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
WOAH

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/6zlgxk/skse64_200_alpha

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oh y'all are way ahead of me carry on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dongattack posted:

My problem with it is that once i saw how dramatic and impactful it could be with a good ENB and weather overhaul mod, i couldn't play without :negative:

Not even just that - but variety. It's kind of easy to not know what you're missing - then you install a weather mod, basically any weather mod, and suddenly you're seeing weathers you hadn't, and it occurs to you there are literally like 5 weather states in Vanilla. At that point there is no going back.

I used to prefer True Storms, but the heavy fog looks like poo poo with the sprite based effect, and while Vivid Weathers has a similarly disgusting inky black effect on light sources, the dark dark nights aren't very common, and I can just deal with it like it's some sort of fantasy darkness or something, so it isn't as detracting to me as the fog sprites.

But real talk, vanilla Bethesda weathers are super weak. You basically have sunny, overcast, and rain, maybe fog. All pretty basic. Skyrim auroras are a nice feature, but for all they did it ammounts to little more than throw away done-in-an-afternoon settings that would be fine along side dozens of other more interesting weathers, where they only exist to round out the assortment. But no... they're "the" weathers. And again, it's easy to over look until you have installed a weathers mod after playing for dozens of hours and encounter a particularly unique weather. First time after playing around with Vivid Weathers where there was grass blades blowing on a strong windy day around Whiterun, I put True Storms behind me. Storms alone aren't enough weather, and I'd all the sort of thing that makes Bethesda's :effort: content.

Definitely stuff you can play without - but it's almost impossible to go back once you realize what isn't there.