Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

LoseHound posted:

If want a vision of Kappa Mikey with schoolgirl pooooorn bullshit, please enjoy the pitch pilot for the show. It features such wonderful and clever jokes like
*LOL Panty shots
*A bad Christopher Walken impersonation
*LOL Underwear vending machines
*an "honorable" game system that commits seppuku (LOL) upon the player's victory.

It's also full of temp voicework and BGM that culminates in a flash animation fight scene with about 20 frames total set to "Walkie Talkie Man".

As a palette cleanser, have a cute new Homestar Runner short.

I'm mystified that someone managed to make so many off-model shots in Flash. And I feel terrible, but I kinda grinned at the WW2 denial thing. :ohdear:
HSR is charming as hell. "That's a great story!" *Brbrbrbrb~!*

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Part of me wants classic 50s Bugs Bunny or even Daffy Duck shoehorned into something like Dragonball Z or even Fist of the North Star.

I feel like Cromartie gets close to this in spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno if you remember much Dragon Ball Z, but Bugs Bunny would fit in a hell of a lot better than you might thank. Goku is basically Superman if he was also Homer Simpson.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Part of me wants classic 50s Bugs Bunny or even Daffy Duck shoehorned into something like Dragonball Z or even Fist of the North Star.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I dunno if you remember much Dragon Ball Z, but Bugs Bunny would fit in a hell of a lot better than you might thank. Goku is basically Superman if he was also Homer Simpson.

Apparently the new Dragonball series covers this in one episode. They have a character from Toriyama's gag series cross over and Goku and Vegeta have to keep her occupied, resulting in both of them being completely shown up by her ability to ignore the rules of their universe.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Inescapable Duck posted:

The original DragonBall manga/show is still my favorite because it went all in on the silly gags and had, in my opinion, more creative fights as a result. It also went all on one the creepy stuff unfortunately but what can you do.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I think it's reasonable to say a good parody will always come from love rather than disdain.

Kung Fu Panda was this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Inkspot posted:

David Hyde Pierce being sidelined as an effeminate little weirdo is such a disservice to how good of an actor he is. Pick any random Frasier episode and watch what he does no matter what else is going on. The man is a master.

You just reminded me of this gem, which is basically like a great cartoon skit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWiPaQ872c

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

dogsicle posted:

Apparently the new Dragonball series covers this in one episode. They have a character from Toriyama's gag series cross over and Goku and Vegeta have to keep her occupied, resulting in both of them being completely shown up by her ability to ignore the rules of their universe.

She is also canonically the strongest character in the multiverse

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dogsicle posted:

Dragon Ball is at its best when it's being funny, despite being known for being punchman show #1

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
See also: The Driving Episode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Das Boo posted:

I think it's reasonable to say a good parody will always come from love rather than disdain.

This isn't true at all, though. There are plenty of very funny, very mean-spirited parodies. Its just a question of what deserves it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's just a lot easier to make an effective parody out of love.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

HSR is charming as hell. "That's a great story!" *Brbrbrbrb~!*

A few years ago they tried to get the H*R guys to make original webtoons for Disney XD but most of them weren't very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv42ljNCs98

Still glad they're getting work, though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1WN5uGzdtI

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This isn't true at all, though. There are plenty of very funny, very mean-spirited parodies. Its just a question of what deserves it.

What are you thinking of?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The only mean spirited parody I can think of is GTA and holy cow those are just the unfunniest bullshit ever

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Most political parody normally comes from a place of scorn for their subject.

I don't think the Onion started as good ol'e fashion ribbing of things they respect.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All the ones I'm thinking of have enough love to pull at the nuances over the stereotypes. Like Pick brought up Kung Fu Panda: It's not just following a story parodying kung fu films, it embodies them through theme, color, design, lighting, camera work, choreography, etc. You would really have to enthusiastically watch a lot of kung fu films to pick up on all them details.

World Famous W posted:

Most political parody normally comes from a place of scorn for their subject.

I don't think the Onion started as good ol'e fashion ribbing of things they respect.

Ah, I was only considering my statement as far as film. I guess the difference would be the necessity for massive cohesion in a film versus the individuality of an article? At the same time, if you have someone who hates politics writing a political parody, it's going to be a poo poo parody. They'd have to have some enthusiasm for the subject, just in a broader sense.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I wouldn't say it's mean-spirited exactly, but I seriously doubt that the makers of Airplane! had any particular love for disaster movies.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The Airplane! boys wound up going down a dark path with parody.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

The Airplane! boys wound up going down a dark path with parody.

Perhaps, but man, Airplane! is funny.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

Perhaps, but man, Airplane! is funny.

No argument. I'd just hazard a guess there was a degree of study that went into Zero Hour! that was missing from... everything else.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
A person cannot write or direct the girl scouts bar fight without loving everything and everyone in life

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Das Boo posted:

No argument. I'd just hazard a guess there was a degree of study that went into Zero Hour! that was missing from... everything else.

The Naked Gun was a classic. :colbert: Hot Shots! less so, but I've still got a soft spot for it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I wouldn't say it's mean-spirited exactly, but I seriously doubt that the makers of Airplane! had any particular love for disaster movies.

Any fan of Airplane owes it to themself to watch Airport 1975.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Naked Gun was a classic. :colbert: Hot Shots! less so, but I've still got a soft spot for it.

Naked Gun, I'll give you. Hot Shots! I loved as a kid, but it was luckluster upon revision. Still, the ____ Movie list has since eclipsed my goodwill, much like mid-to-late episodes of The Simpsons. :sigh:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Das Boo posted:

Naked Gun, I'll give you. Hot Shots! I loved as a kid, but it was luckluster upon revision. Still, the ____ Movie list has since eclipsed my goodwill, much like mid-to-late episodes of The Simpsons. :sigh:

To be fair those later abominations were all Friedberg and Seltzer, ZAZ were only tangentially related.

Edit: Though one of the Zuckers did go crazy and made An American Carol, which arguably is a parody of itself.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 4, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Starting to rewatch Lilo and Stitch for the first time in God-knows-how-long, since Netflix yanks it tomorrow.

Man, I forgot about a lot of this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a good-rear end movie.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw."

EDIT: So yes, it's still a very good movie. Though I suppose I'll have the unpopular(?) opinion that the best parts are the escape at the beginning and the chase scene at the very end... I certainly wouldn't have the film without the parts in-between, but there were so many avoidable screw-ups piling on top of one another that it got kind of difficult to watch. (On the other hand, all those screw-ups are why the ending felt as sweet as it did, so...?)

After this, on to the other Disney film Netflix is nixing tomorrow, Emperor's New Groove - a film I remember much more clearly, but recall really liking (despite initial misgivings with the trailer as a kid, because I was dumb). So that'll be fun!

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 4, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Das Boo posted:

What are you thinking of?

Starship Troopers, and possibly the recent Death Note adaptation although it's tricky both because people will refuse to believe it's good and also because it's somewhat more ambiguous whether it's mocking the source material or if Adam Wingard is just doing whatever's funny to Adam Wingard.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Death Note the movie isn't really good, but it's really enjoyable for William deFoe and Mia. I really never got the Death Note Hype.

but yeah, Starship Troopers is a very good condemnation of the glorification of jackboot thuggery, too bad initial audiences didn't get it.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Death note the anime is very explicitly about Light being wrong, the manga moreso

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Death Note is the kind of movie one would watch on an airplane. It's not particularly good, but I guess there's worse ways to kill a couple hours.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
The biggest problem I had with the movie was that the most interesting thing about the manga/anime was seeing the insane schemes Light would come up with to foil the police and keep L off his scent, and that only sort of happens once. It was otherwise a run-of-the-mill "dorky teen gets superpowers" film that tries to portray him as a troubled youth with the right idea instead of the complete psychopath he's supposed to be.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Raserys posted:

Death note the anime is very explicitly about Light being wrong, the manga moreso

I really, really enjoy the brutality and indignity of the manga's ending and wish the anime hadn't tried to pretty it up. Light's whole mindset was "I am superior, I am Providence, I am God." and the ugliness of the ending was such a perfect, equal response of "No, you aren't."

Haven't watched the Netflix one yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CeallaSo posted:

The biggest problem I had with the movie was that the most interesting thing about the manga/anime was seeing the insane schemes Light would come up with to foil the police and keep L off his scent, and that only sort of happens once. It was otherwise a run-of-the-mill "dorky teen gets superpowers" film that tries to portray him as a troubled youth with the right idea instead of the complete psychopath he's supposed to be.

Yeah, Death Note is unique in that the protagonist is also kind of explicitly the villain of the series, which is diluted quite a bit in the American version (and on that subject, are the Japanese live action films any better?).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

From what I hear, some of the movies are just really, really dumb and inflates Light's ability to plan his kills to the level of "The plot tailors itself to me."

And yeah, there's a huge amount of the fandom that scarily don't get that Light is a loving psycho.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Buncha Misas.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Don't remind me of her, please.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Misa and every single new character after the first half were either really bad, or pale imitations of other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And the plot gets insanely more convoluted in the second half, especially with regards to the final schemes.