Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've played on Famfrit for like roughly 3 months now and have not come across a mean person like at all. Maybe it is partially because I am not doing super end game content yet but if someone dies stupidly in a dungeon or something it is always a bunch of 'Whoops sorry guys!' and a bunch of 'don't worry about it :)' replies. For me the players have been almost bizarrely friendly, especially coming from the polar opposite in games like Dota/CS/Overwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely and wholeheartedly feel like goons play an entirely different game from me to be honest. Like the FFXIV I hear discussed here is a hellhole of angry DPS-counters who are giant assholes to each other and get into screaming matches and have huge disaster runs with honest healers and ice-only black mages or whatever and then I actually play the game and it's a genuinely chill and relaxed group of people where the most significant difference outside of savage content is a relatively short time different and most people are friendly and helpful.

Like the case I mentioned above was the GM talking to people in a LS I was part of because they kicked a healer because their friend signed on and said so in chat and apparently that was enough to get a GM talking to them. (From what they said at least when they were whining.) Even if it wasn't it's pretty weird to go "Well it's PART OF THE SYSTEM so WHATEVER" as if it doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat to do it. You can also roll for poo poo you promised not to roll for and a GM will come talk to you about that too.

It's just so weird to me what a huge gap there is between discussions here and what I actually see in play. v:shobon:v

I suspect it's more that one person in the entire thread has had a negative experience recently and posts about it. Then everybody else chimes in about the handful of negative experiences they've had over the past few years.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

The only mean guy I've run into in the last month or so was a healer that got super worked up about the main scenario roulette run taking longer than half a minute. Probably a quarter of the group was doing it for the first time (inc. my first time through as DRK) but that doesn't stop him from being an rear end in a top hat about it in party chat. We finished the run just fine if maybe a few minutes longer than average and he peed on party chat one more time before departing.

That's my mean people in Final Fantasy XIV story thank you

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shere posted:

Were they afk, offline, or harassing you?

e: Maybe they were "cheating" you out of a speed clear lmao

"playstyle differences," whatever the gently caress that means, have been a legitimate reason to kick since time immemorial. i don't know if you genuinely didn't know that or you're trying to score some cheap points, but that's the way it goes.

ImpAtom posted:

It's just so weird to me what a huge gap there is between discussions here and what I actually see in play. v:shobon:v

nobody comes into this thread to post about the 20 perfectly pleasant and reasonable EXDRs they just did; all we ever hear about is the one that went south

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Honestly I get way more skeevy rpers than hateful people and that's probably worse cause I can't just imagine what would happen to a person's brain to make them start a dungeon by typing 'please don't step on my sexy kitty tail' or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Honestly I get way more skeevy rpers than hateful people and that's probably worse cause I can't just imagine what would happen to a person's brain to make them start a dungeon by typing 'please don't step on my sexy kitty tail' or whatever.

Well maybe you shouldn't have stepped on their sexy kitty tail then?

Reiterpallasch posted:

nobody comes into this thread to post about the 20 perfectly pleasant and reasonable EXDRs they just did; all we ever hear about is the one that went south

Yeah but it feels like people treat the one that went south as a terrifying norm, or maybe it's just me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Saint Freak posted:

I have never once seen anyone make a sexual comment in an instance on primal data center. I assume you're on Aether and Balmung is ruining everything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shere posted:

Were they afk, offline, or harassing you?

e: Maybe they were "cheating" you out of a speed clear lmao

The devs have repeatedly said that "play style differences" are a perfectly valid reason to boot someone.

It's not like it's the end of the world if you get kicked anyway. Just lol and requeue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

The devs have repeatedly said that "play style differences" are a perfectly valid reason to boot someone.

It's not like it's the end of the world if you get kicked anyway. Just lol and requeue.

It's actually pretty lovely to force a DPS back into a half-hour queue because they didn't goad you, especially if it's something doing a dungeon for story or whatever.

cheetah7071 posted:

I have never once seen anyone make a sexual comment in an instance on primal data center. I assume you're on Aether and Balmung is ruining everything.

I played on Balmung when I started and never saw it. I'm on the same data center still and still never see it. I mean there are a dozen catgirls in sushi gear at any given time but I assume that's every server.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

Primal Excal

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Saint Freak posted:

Primal Excal

then I got nothing, I'm sorry the catgirls display their fetishes for you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's actually pretty lovely to force a DPS back into a half-hour queue because they didn't goad you, especially if it's something doing a dungeon for story or whatever.

Well fortunately for non-idiots, not goading someone is a very easily solvable problem.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Fister Roboto posted:

Shere posted:

You do you, but don't act like you're not the socially maladjusted pubbie in this scenario.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

This is true. I mostly see it in the middle of the city.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
like the worst exdr i've had in months was last week, when a drk pulled wall-to-wall in doma and didn't hit any cooldowns. it was fine. we died once because i was totally dry on mana or cooldowns. maybe i could have done a better job of holding those resources once i realized what the tank was doing. idk. i didn't come here to post a full sob story afterwards.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
My mean people story involves being a PLD trying to light farm A1S back when that was a thing. Where I'd regularly be kicked parties would dissolve because I was a PLD and making everyone else's runs take 15-30 seconds longer.

Side note: 5-6 tank 1-2 heal 1-2 dps A1S was pretty fun.

ImpAtom posted:

HYPERBOLE, the Goon standard.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vitamean posted:

More like Ala Mhigan tops.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Most of my DF experiences are perfectly adequate, yeah. Occasionally I get a dingus or two, but at most I chat in FC for a minute and eat a DF cooldown. I only post here about the funny, exceptional cases.

Overall I really like FFXIV and most players I run into are okay, or at least tolerable enough for a quick dungeon run.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vitamean posted:

I'm guessing Minos Khan wasn't even someone they knew and this was 100% bannable harassment

Though I've learned the hard way that you can't report for someone harassing someone else; you can only report for them harassing you. You might be able to stretch it with "it wasn't directed at me but it still made me highly uncomfortable" but I didn't think to try that and I have only seen harassment once in my entire time playing

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Fister Roboto posted:

Well fortunately for non-idiots, not goading someone is a very easily solvable problem.

You realize you sound like an infant, right, like at best this is low effort trolling

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I mean it always seemed pretty clear to me that people's posting personas tend to be different from how they act in person/in game/wherever. most angry people I see here usually cool and chill in game. Even belzac who's threadshitting was legendary was a pretty chill guy to play with back when he played. Likewise I don't see fister or anybody standing in the middle of the goblet yelling at passerby. Everybody is usually pretty cordial, granted there are some dunces in fc chat from time to time but that's what kitty jail is for V:shobon:V

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My experience has been nothing but friendly players since I resubbed.

Probably the worst I've gotten was moans and groans in party chat when I did Final Steps of Faith and Royal Menagerie. Sorry guys, gotta get this poo poo done sometime. You're welcome for the bonus tomes, by the way. :colbert:

Oh, and there's always enough salt in /shout to fill up another instance of the Lochs whenever an S-rank gets pulled. But that's just funny, so keep it coming.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velthice posted:

Likewise I don't see fister or anybody standing in the middle of the goblet yelling at passerby.

That's because I usually do that in Lavender Beds.

For the record I would not boot someone at five minutes for not goading me, even if they completely ignored me. I know I sound like a huge rear end in a top hat ITT but you'd have to be egregiously bad for me to initiate a votekick. At the same time I have zero sympathy for the person who did get booted, because they could have easily solved the problem by hanging back for a few seconds and slotting goad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

My experience has been nothing but friendly players since I resubbed.

Probably the worst I've gotten was moans and groans in party chat when I did Final Steps of Faith and Royal Menagerie. Sorry guys, gotta get this poo poo done sometime. You're welcome for the bonus tomes, by the way. :colbert:

Oh, and there's always enough salt in /shout to fill up another instance of the Lochs whenever an S-rank gets pulled. But that's just funny, so keep it coming.

Oh yeah, there's always a groan for either of the Steps or the Menagerie.

Which is odd, I love the Menagerie, I'd queue for it every time if I could. Better than frigging Ramuh for the 20th time.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Which is odd, I love the Menagerie, I'd queue for it every time if I could. Better than frigging Ramuh for the 20th time.

I've gotten Ramuh once since resubbing. It was so long since the last time I fought him, I forgot about the damage reflection. Oops. :downs:

I think I've seen Susano in trials the most since Stormblood dropped. Other than that, it's honestly been pretty balanced for me.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Say what you want about the whm quests, but I really liked some of the camera tricks they used in the final quest (the fight was pretty cool too)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
WHM job quests are always great because you can snap a benediction on the quest NPC and get like a seven-digit green number or something

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Menagerie just seems like...a lot to expect people that have maybe only ever done the MSQ and just want to finish the MSQ to pick up. Like those people have seen one of the mechanics before? Chains from the vault? I guess you see ice floors in ARF but not in a way that will kill you dead, and attacks called ahk morn but not quite like this one.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely and wholeheartedly feel like goons play an entirely different game from me to be honest. Like the FFXIV I hear discussed here is a hellhole of angry DPS-counters who are giant assholes to each other and get into screaming matches and have huge disaster runs with honest healers and ice-only black mages or whatever and then I actually play the game and it's a genuinely chill and relaxed group of people where the most significant difference outside of savage content is a relatively short time different and most people are friendly and helpful.

Like the case I mentioned above was the GM talking to people in a LS I was part of because they kicked a healer because their friend signed on and said so in chat and apparently that was enough to get a GM talking to them. (From what they said at least when they were whining.) Even if it wasn't it's pretty weird to go "Well it's PART OF THE SYSTEM so WHATEVER" as if it doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat to do it. You can also roll for poo poo you promised not to roll for and a GM will come talk to you about that too.

Just like the news these days the only poo poo that gets posted is bad poo poo. All the good/boring poo poo that happens a majority of time just doesn't get posted. I have done poo poo loads of exdr solo a lot of times or without a goon healer and I have only once been yelled at to go tank stance on a boss. This was back in ARR and their justification was it let the healer dps more. So it was like half wrong because at least the healer wanted to DPS.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

most of my PUG experiences are good but it's only the stand-outs that will get me worked up enough to post about.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Bonus since I'm in my screenshots folder: Here's a tank asking if tanks are supposed to get aggro on the enemies after we wiped to him not doing that

God lord imgur loving annihilates images

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 5, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Vitamean posted:

raise macros just get weirder and weirder

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

I'm finally free, after 50 weeks of Wondrous Tails.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

I mean I guess that is uh...lovingly crafted?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

just lol if you dont zone into your daily exdr say hi, pull, kill poo poo, zone out. I am noticing a lot more healers dpsing which is nice. Even when I do giant pulls. And they don't give a poo poo if I go dps stance on bosses.

I had a guy call me out for not using tank stances on bosses yesterday and I just told him to check his eyes I was totally in shield oath (I was not).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bolow posted:

You know I played WoW for like 8 goddamn years, but I swear I've seen more goddamn puns and references in these quest names in the week I've played than I ever had in WoW.

I don't know whether to be disgusted or amazed

Here's the difference between WoW's jokes and FFXIV. XIV will name a quest Notorious B.I.G.G.S.

WoW will make an NPC named Lank who wears a green tunic and hat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

WoW will make an NPC named Harrison Jones who wears a whip and a hat and dedicate an entire zone and multiple instances to him

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

you don't pay my sub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Although I guess it's not entirely fair to lay that entirely at WOW's feet because every Final Fantasy game in the last two decades has had characters named after Star Wars characters.