Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm not sure I saw raining ash, but I definitely saw THE BLOOD SUN and it actually does feel kind of gnarly to breathe outside right now.

It's so dry here that I'm not surprised this is happening. Going to be a weird few days.

The moon was a really vivid orange/red last night too.

The ash is loving up my lungs hardcore and badly aggravating my asthma. I've already doubled up on my steroids and I'm thinking about taking a facemask or three from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The blood moon and ash falling from the sky is just Nintendo of America's latest marketing ploy for next BotW DLC.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

seiferguy posted:

The blood moon and ash falling from the sky is just Nintendo of America's latest marketing ploy for next BotW DLC.

lovely draw distance confirms this to be true.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/ahpook/status/905114491649572865

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

silicone thrills posted:

It's literally dropping ash in downtown Seattle right now. 12 years I've lived here and never experienced this. No sun. It's cooler than expected which is nice I guess.

The only thing I've seen resembling this is the pictures of when St Helens blew and that was definitely worse.

This sucks though.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

i came this close (-----) to diving into my "regressive taxes are never the solution"/"stop putting bandaids on climate change issues" responses before coming to my senses

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
besides, this is the better option

https://twitter.com/portlandmercury/status/905202414680104960

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Ah yes, a well-reasoned BAD THING HAPPEN, BAN RELATED THING argument, despite the vast majority of fire-causing fireworks being already illegal.

I also love how nobody seemed too interested in the firepocalypse happening on the west coast until one started near Portland. Southern OR has been completely smoked in for a few weeks now.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Javid posted:

Ah yes, a well-reasoned BAD THING HAPPEN, BAN RELATED THING argument, despite the vast majority of fire-causing fireworks being already illegal.

I also love how nobody seemed too interested in the firepocalypse happening on the west coast until one started near Portland. Southern OR has been completely smoked in for a few weeks now.

massive forest fires near densely populated areas is a California problem, hth

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Javid posted:

I dunno, I have been keeping tabs on the Chetco Bar fire and I know a lot of people on southern Oregon who have been complaining of smoke. OPB has been reporting on fires all over the state. It might be that goons were not aware of what it is like during fire season in parts of the state they don't live in. The smoke in the Portland area is currently worse then I remember it being in Medford/Ashland during the Biscuit fire in 2002.

From the description it was firecrackers, which are illegal anyway in Oregon. Maybe they should just make it a felony to possess fireworks in the woods.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
So it's already illegal to possess them, and illegal to light them, and probably also illegal to light them in the woods, specifically (I assume both BLM and USFS have regs about it)

But truly, that fourth law they'd have to break would really be the last straw that keeps stupid hicks from lighting poo poo on fire.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
If you were planning on going to the eastern part of Mount Rainier, don't. I probably wouldn't want to go anywhere else in the park either with the smoke.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Javid posted:

So it's already illegal to possess them, and illegal to light them, and probably also illegal to light them in the woods, specifically (I assume both BLM and USFS have regs about it)

But truly, that fourth law they'd have to break would really be the last straw that keeps stupid hicks from lighting poo poo on fire.

If there were no readily available entertainment or sporting incendiary devices the world would be a better place.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I've been here all my life and know we've had plenty of forest fires but I've never had pdx covered in smoke more than a single week. The sheer volume of various forest fires is pretty impressive, I just drove from the central coast to portland and didn't break smoke cover once.

Again, it's not a volume problem.

According to today's morning NWCC rollup there have been 1,762 fires (814 human, 109,699 acres; 948 lightning, 332,550 acres) so far in OR YTD; In 2015 there were a total of 2,588 fires for 685,809 acres. So I believe what you actually meant to say, is actually 'the proximity of fires to major metropolitan areas is .... ??' Inconveniencing? Made me aware that this happens all over the state & region every year but I've never really been cognizantly aware of it until I could see it from my own house?

:confused:

Out of sight out of mind I guess. Thousands of people lose their livelihood as well as many of them their homes and possessions as well, sadly these are only featured, at best, as a 30-60 second clip in the news as a "WILDFIRE UPDATES ACROSS THE STATE" because they can't just send two camera crews and a reporter 30 minutes up I-84 to drive around in the middle of the night on SR-14 to provide 'Live Breaking Coverage of DARK ROADS AT NIGHT and a faint smudge of orange on a hillside'

I also find everyone panicking about BAN FIREWORKS to be sadly amusing and depressing at the same time. :(

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Javid posted:

I've been saying for ages that we need to start doing controlled fires, these massive fires wouldn't be happening if we let natural fires run their course. Forests of the past were never this dense, they're only this dense because we are allowing them to get dense. We put out fires before they clear out old dead trees and underbrush and it just leads to massive uncontrollable fires like we're seeing now.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ElCondemn posted:

I've been saying for ages that we need to start doing controlled fires, these massive fires wouldn't be happening if we let natural fires run their course. Forests of the past were never this dense, they're only this dense because we are allowing them to get dense. We put out fires before they clear out old dead trees and underbrush and it just leads to massive uncontrollable fires like we're seeing now.

Yeah, that is the core of the problem. Unfortunately the government and specifically congress has not been so enthusiastic about approving additional funds for prevention.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I remember it being an asinine talking point for cut-to-the-bone conservatives:

why would we pay people to set fires? We're trying to prevent fires!
:negative:

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

SeaborneClink posted:

According to today's morning NWCC rollup there have been 1,762 fires (814 human, 109,699 acres; 948 lightning, 332,550 acres) so far in OR YTD; In 2015 there were a total of 2,588 fires for 685,809 acres. So I believe what you actually meant to say, is actually 'the proximity of fires to major metropolitan areas is .... ??' Inconveniencing? Made me aware that this happens all over the state & region every year but I've never really been cognizantly aware of it until I could see it from my own house?

Out of sight out of mind I guess. Thousands of people lose their livelihood as well as many of them their homes and possessions as well, sadly these are only featured, at best, as a 30-60 second clip in the news as a "WILDFIRE UPDATES ACROSS THE STATE" because they can't just send two camera crews and a reporter 30 minutes up I-84 to drive around in the middle of the night on SR-14 to provide 'Live Breaking Coverage of DARK ROADS AT NIGHT and a faint smudge of orange on a hillside'

I also find everyone panicking about BAN FIREWORKS to be sadly amusing and depressing at the same time. :(

Do you have acrage amount compared to yearly averages for other states? I tried to find info on the nwcc site and wasn't having much luck. Is there a resource for fire info in BC?

I brought up the eagle Creek fire as it's a little more relevant for posters, but hasn't Montana burned more than a million acres so far this year?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Do you have acrage amount compared to yearly averages for other states? I tried to find info on the nwcc site and wasn't having much luck. Is there a resource for fire info in BC?

I brought up the eagle Creek fire as it's a little more relevant for posters, but hasn't Montana burned more than a million acres so far this year?

I posted the YTD (which I've since walked back as inaccurate) as well as the 3-year, 5-year and 10-year averages (acres burned) for CA, ID, MT, OR, WA.

Were you specifically looking for an accurate YTD for other states vs their bucket averages? What states are you specifically looking for? I can compile it, BC may be more difficult but I can probably get it.

NRCC (Northern Rockies Coordination Center), they report for all of Montana, basically all of North Dakota and the Northern 'half' of Idaho, as of this (8/5/17) morning's roll up , reports 2,761 fires for 1,138,896 acres.

Edit: Eagle Creek/Indian Creek is around 35-40k acres burned as of a few hours ago.

Edit 2: 19:30 PDT IR flight analysis is in, 30,929 acres

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 6, 2017

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/905459654263701504

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
https://twitter.com/alweaver22/status/905466090947469314
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Dino Rossi probably has a good chance of winning, though? He's got name recognition even if he's lost everything that he's run for, and Auburn is pretty red as hell.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Dino Rossi probably has a good chance of winning, though? He's got name recognition even if he's lost everything that he's run for, and Auburn is pretty red as hell.

Pretty sure Dino's name recognition is 'that guy who loses literally every race, always, forever'.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

seiferguy posted:

His district is more Ellensburg than Auburn at this point.

Auburn's just weird, though. The same people elect Pat Sullivan and Mark Hargrove.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
I've been calling his office since the election. We even were planning on physical stopping by to complain. Nice

Dems in that district don't seem to have thier poo poo together. They can't even show up in effective ways for poo poo like parades or festivals in the blue areas. That said, whole bunch of people moving into Issaquah and North Bend and a lot of them are D voters.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/OPB/status/905523750296199168

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i do get where this is coming from but at the same time i honestly wonder if the mentality that leads people to shriek about momentary distractions for "lizard brains" would also tut-tut about how we shouldn't encourage kids to play with squirt guns because it's wasteful of water

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i do get where this is coming from but at the same time i honestly wonder if the mentality that leads people to shriek about momentary distractions for "lizard brains" would also tut-tut about how we shouldn't encourage kids to play with squirt guns because it's wasteful of water

when those squirt guns burn down one of oregon's natural attractions then maybe people will get upset about them

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i guarantee that if fireworks had never started a fire that guy would still be pissy about fireworks because they're noisy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
that said don't get me wrong if fireworks get fully banned after this year i won't be terribly surprised or heartbroken over it

especially if a full ban means we get to drop the hammer on future forest fire starters for straight-up arson

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Fireworks on FS property are already illegal. Setting fire to a forest whether accidental or on purpose is already illegal.

Oregon banning fireworks does nothing to prevent dumb people from doing dumb things. The alleged suspect was from Washington anyway.

Next question please.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm fine with fireworks being banned, but what we really need is proper management of forests and controlled burning and all of that. Any odd thing can spark a fire. Like was said earlier, congress is to blame for this.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

ban fire

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ban trees

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Ban Oxygen, it's the most crucial and abundant leg of the Fire Triangle.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

SeaborneClink posted:

Ban Oxygen, it's the most crucial and abundant leg of the Fire Triangle.

This but unironically.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

This is some condescending mansplainin', good job . Sure, we have might have similar amount of localized fires, but as a region we are getting blasted. Most of the smoke up until recently thats been experienced in Portland hasn't even been from Oregon fires, but the record breaking fires in BC.

But no, tell me more about how I don't care enough to notice this totally normal fire season. Or don't, I get enough of this "Actually!" bullshit in my day to day life.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Isn't Richerts district fairly gerrymandered, like it grew a Republican serving tumor over his tenure?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

seiferguy posted:

You guys have a Ron Saxton too!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

You guys have a Ron Saxton too!?

Was he gutted like a fish in several debates as well? It's been a long time, but I seem to recall Gregoire completely loving over that smarmy little gently caress.