Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

infernal machines posted:

wait so 6" is kosher, but not halal? how does that work?

the pixels are coarse but the chinese boy's neck was not slashed and fully bled before he completed the assembly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

infernal machines posted:

wait so 6" is kosher, but not halal? how does that work?

fatwa against big phones. duh

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

only 7" phones are non-kosher

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

the pixels are coarse but the chinese boy's neck was not slashed and fully bled before he completed the assembly

:capitalism:

e: lol, that's an actual smilie

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

only 7" phones are non-kosher

i could walk down market street holding my nexus 7 up to my fave and people would look at me admiringly

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
probably the same way people look at highly functional Downs Syndrome sufferers who can cut their own food and live alone "admiringly"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Doc Block posted:

probably the same way people look at highly functional Downs Syndrome sufferers who can cut their own food and live alone "admiringly"

actually it's more like how they look at this post

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

i just installed one of these. will see if it lasts. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07145LRK5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

both the original and the third-party replacement wore out, as lithium batteries do when you use them long enough. i'm glad i can keep using the last good android phone.

Wait, someone else has one of these that still functions? Although I guess because I live in a faraway land there's no way in hell anyone will ship me a battery for fear of blowing up the airplane. Is there anything else you had to do to keep it working?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

im going to guess hes also using a radio hack to enable lte as hspa networks are getting a little thin on the ground

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait, someone else has one of these that still functions? Although I guess because I live in a faraway land there's no way in hell anyone will ship me a battery for fear of blowing up the airplane. Is there anything else you had to do to keep it working?

I have dropped the phone one single time and when I did it landed flat on the screen, shattering it because it landed on top of the one pebble on the concrete within a few feet, which was slightly higher than the bumper case. fortunately my brother had a broken nexus 4 that LG completely failed to fix despite sending it in for service, so I swapped my phone's circuitry and battery into it.

it is a phone of theseus

LastInLine posted:

im going to guess hes also using a radio hack to enable lte as hspa networks are getting a little thin on the ground

it came with the android marshmallow rom (chroma OS) I installed, and t-mobile's band 4 coverage is not really the best :shepface:

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

:rip:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170907VL202.html

quote:

HTC August revenues lowest in 13 years

HTC has reported consolidated revenues of NT$3 billion (US$99.69 million) for August, the company's lowest monthly figures in 13 years. August revenues also represented a decline of 51.5% from the previous month and 54.4% from a year earlier.

Demand for the company's latest flagship model, HTC U11, already peaked in July, causing shipments to decline sharply in August, according to market sources.

However, HTC stated that the monthly performance alone could hardly represent the ongoing quarterly trend, but it did not elaborate further.

HTC's statement indicated that the company is still positive about its overall smartphone shipments for the third quarter of 2017. Market sources said the vendor is likely to begin shipping the next-generation Pixel smartphones to Google in September.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

remember the time they want to simplify their line up but still. end up with like 10 skus?

or the time the htc ceo tried to sell their brand in china by saying that 'htc is a mainland chinese company' during a conference in china and caused a backlash back home in taiwan province of china?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
anroid :newlol:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Encrypted posted:

remember the time they want to simplify their line up but still. end up with like 10 skus?

remember the time HTC sold a phone that gave users awful headaches

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I had an Evo shift back in 2012, it was good

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

googles buying their phone business

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so google buys another unprofitable business, fucks around with it for a year or three, then abandons it and everything it produced?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

scroogled again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

maybe nobody who was there 5 years ago is still on the team?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

maybe theyll sell this one to dell

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

surely htc's problems aren't major marketplace softness and overall structural problems with their business, they just aren't googley enough

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

explains why they were trying to sell vr branch

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Google bought Motorola and now Moto makes the best Android phones*, this will be good for htc

*tallest midget, best post from me, etc

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at believing digitimes rumors

qirex posted:

maybe nobody who was there 5 years ago is still on the team?

well, Google's head of hardware is a Motorola guy

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

wonder who will be next, will it be huawei??

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

My Linux Rig posted:

wonder who will be next, will it be huawei??

Hu a cares? Google hardware is poo poo, Android is poo poo.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
it’s really bad

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

remember the time HTC sold a phone that gave users awful headaches

are we sure that’s not a perfectly healthy reaction to using anroid?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://twitter.com/MelTajon/status/904058526061830144

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

bug in Oreo makes it burn through mobile data instead of using available Wi-Fi.
hope they pay for everyone's phone bills

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/07/google_scrambles_to_curb_oreos_massive_appetite_for_data/

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Cerv posted:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/07/google_scrambles_to_curb_oreos_massive_appetite_for_data/

This is why Apple doesn’t have to try any more.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cerv posted:

I want to say it's less worse than the major update which drained batteries like there's no tomorrow but really I'm torn.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i like google and even id say that if youre trusting them to not gently caress up thats on you

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

"This may be an unpopular opinion but I really wish Google would look over these updates more thoroughly. This is a huge issue, not sure how they missed this before releasing Oreo," wrote one Redditor. "It's like teachers telling you to proof read something before submitting it. Now a whole bunch of people have probably used up all their data and some more which comes with extra fees."

i'm the unpopular opinion that google should test the updates before pushing them out

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Google has had multiple security patches completely brick hundreds of pixel phones so no poo poo a full OS release is gonna be hosed.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google doesn't do testing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Project Fi thread over in DYP is pretty funny these days. Almost everybody who bought a Nexus 5X or 6P is out of warranty, but Google keeps replacing defective phones anyway because they're trying to limit interest in a bunch of class action lawsuits that are brewing over them. Some people are even getting free upgrades to new-in-box Pixel phones for their Nexuses.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The Project Fi thread over in DYP is pretty funny these days. Almost everybody who bought a Nexus 5X or 6P is out of warranty, but Google keeps replacing defective phones anyway because they're trying to limit interest in a bunch of class action lawsuits that are brewing over them. Some people are even getting free upgrades to new-in-box Pixel phones for their Nexuses.

my 6p works perfectly and has never had a bug or error. my fi service owns and works everywhere including on the subway via tmob i think which is cool. its in near mint condition despite never using a case. these dyp users are installing bad software and breaking their flawless devices with their own stupidity. Calling these PEBKAC errors, OP. Ticket closed.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

they're badly built phones, brent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

they're badly built phones, brent

Nah