Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:lol: at the HUD, looks straight out of Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Intro thought: one of the things TNG is the worst at is writing characters falling in love but based on how they usually do it I calculate the probability at 85%

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

>yfw you will never attend a musical performance in Ten Forward :cry:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Probability increased to 95%

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

99.9%

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

And this was before she was hanging off Data's arm and comparing themselves to a married couple.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Boy I hope she doesn't say Data reminds her of her dead father.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Android kiss

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The visuals of Guinan mixing the blue and yellow liquids to make a green cocktail is cool.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"Lietuenant D'Souza just gave me what could be considered a very passionate kiss in the torpedo bay."

Whew it's a good thing Data's incapable of euphemism

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

I kinda like it. It's better than nothing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They're really halfassing the science/ship-threatening part of the episode, I don't even know what's happening other than there was a nebula and now they're going to a planet for some reason.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"I think you should be careful. This isn't some experiment you're running Data, Jema is a living breathing person with needs that have to be considered."

Wow Troi is the first one to talk any sense. Of course it's a bad idea for a being that can't experience love to lead a being who can along

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol Worf threatening Data about breaking the heart of someone under his command is awesome

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

One of the things that Star Trek usually did pretty well (there are notable exceptions to this, particularly in TOS where the phasers and photon torpedo noises were ripped from the 1953 War of the Worlds) was not resorting to stock sound effects for computers and poo poo. I guess those days are over unless that's a placeholder soundtrack?

Small potatoes but yeah, looks like rear end and sounds like it too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Immediate cut to Riker: "I think you should pursue it. First of all, she's a beautiful woman."

Hahaha I love this episode

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker is giddily excited about the idea of Data loving

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard: "I will be happy to offer all the advice I have on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."

I seriously wish every episode was like this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

One of the things that Star Trek usually did pretty well (there are notable exceptions to this, particularly in TOS where the phasers and photon torpedo noises were ripped from the 1953 War of the Worlds) was not resorting to stock sound effects for computers and poo poo. I guess those days are over unless that's a placeholder soundtrack?

Small potatoes but yeah, looks like rear end and sounds like it too.

Although to be fair the Trek sound effects have been hot dogshit for years. Nothing has any punch to it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's gonna take them over 11 hours to reach the planet but it's only three light-hours away? This reminds me of something I've wondered about for a while which is what the disadvantages are of higher warp speeds, what warp speed they cruise at by default, etc.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's gonna take them over 11 hours to reach the planet but it's only three light-hours away? This reminds me of something I've wondered about for a while which is what the disadvantages are of higher warp speeds, what warp speed they cruise at by default, etc.

Whatever the plot requires.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Whatever the plot requires.

Just like the turbolift.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Something something nebula something something spatial anomalies something something recalibrate into the upper theta band.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data's haltingly-blown kiss

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nebula fucker ghost ate a planet?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

We'll hold position next to the thing that destroyed a planet and is loving with us

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Anything above warp 8 is probably hard on the engines (requires more maintenance, increased chance of a failure), the low warp speeds are probably way more fuel efficient, but yeah warp factors are basically:

1-6 just cruising along. no bigs

7-8 things are serious. there is a problem

9+ OH poo poo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data's acting like he just got replaced with Lore

Orv
May 4, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Although to be fair the Trek sound effects have been hot dogshit for years. Nothing has any punch to it.

When does "for years" start because I can link Terrell's death if you want.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data is a fever dream right now

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If something was only 2 light hours away and they took eleven hours to get there that means they were using impulse and not warp. You generally aren't supposed to use warp in solar systems, a rule that exists so it can be broken for dramatic impact sometime.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What'd you expect you frikkin idjit

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It would be such a subversion if something weird happened to the ship but it never threatened it and they never found out what it was

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Orv posted:

When does "for years" start because I can link Terrell's death if you want.

I dunno exactly but compare how the photon torpedoes sound in Encounter at Farpoint against how they sound in Voyager or even DS9

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

gently caress. FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Orv
May 4, 2011

I dunno exactly but compare how the photon torpedoes sound in Encounter at Farpoint against how they sound in Voyager or even DS9

Fair point, yeah.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't get Picard's explanation for why he needs to pilot the shuttle at all. "It's my ship, I need to do this" no you don't

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

They peaked during the final attack on the cube from First Contact, for years after that they kept going for "muted" and yeah, they lost the edge they had. I feel like a lot of it is they cut down on reverb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They said "nacelle"