Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

maskenfreiheit posted:

I [18M] said something stupid to my sister [20F] cause I didn't even know what it meant. She showed our friends, and now they all won't stop making fun of me for it every time we hang out. Its really getting on my nerves.

I'd guess 14, either way get over it, I guarantee that you will put your foot in your mouth in a worse way before you hit 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

maskenfreiheit posted:

I [18M] said something stupid to my sister [20F] cause I didn't even know what it meant. She showed our friends, and now they all won't stop making fun of me for it every time we hang out. Its really getting on my nerves.

They bullied me so I reacted to their bullying and they bullied me more so I reacted even harder and they bullied EVEN MORE so now I'm reacting as hard as I loving can and they won't stop! I've tried everything except not reacting what can I do? I'm going to go watch some Netflix and try to chill out.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Outrail posted:

They bullied me so I reacted to their bullying and they bullied me more so I reacted even harder and they bullied EVEN MORE so now I'm reacting as hard as I loving can and they won't stop! I've tried everything except not reacting what can I do? I'm going to go watch some Netflix and try to chill out.

If you're going to react to bullying you need to play it right... think a Christian Slater from Heathers vibe.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
edit: yeah nah

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

maskenfreiheit posted:

Only way outta this is to gently caress your sister, buddy. Sorry, them's the breaks.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I'll admit to not having known that "netflix and chill" is always a euphemism. Maybe because it sounds a lot like something friends or a couple might actually do if they're tired and just want to relax/veg out.

For the record, I understood that it can be used as a subtle way to indicate you wanna bone on down, I just thought it was situational. Like how asking somebody if they want to grab a coffee is sometimes a "safe" way to express romantic interest but also sometimes you just maybe want a cup of coffee.

I guess it's lucky I don't have a sister?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I'll admit to not having known that "netflix and chill" is always a euphemism. Maybe because it sounds a lot like something friends or a couple might actually do if they're tired and just want to relax/veg out.

For the record, I understood that it can be used as a subtle way to indicate you wanna bone on down, I just thought it was situational. Like how asking somebody if they want to grab a coffee is sometimes a "safe" way to express romantic interest but also sometimes you just maybe want a cup of coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-skZx5liyaM

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Subtle is "want to come over and watch a movie" or "how you doin'"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

maskenfreiheit posted:

If you're going to react to bullying you need to play it right... think a Christian Slater from Heathers vibe.

Pretty much, yeah. Ignore a bully and they'll double down because they realise they can walk all over you. Massively overreact and they might not want to do it anymore when it stops being fun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only way to get rid of a bully is to react in a way that super weirds them out and makes them uncomfortable so they stop, but not in a way that is easy for them to describe to other people. So you don't, like, poop yourself or anything, or yell at them. You like, act like they're becoming your best friend because you're so desperate for any kind of attention that literally anything is ok, and this will make the bully be all like "uh...." and they don't like it. Like, after he kicks you in the butt and calls you a douchefart, whinge "please, please can you meet my mom, she thinks I don't have any friends".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

The only way to get rid of a bully is to react in a way that super weirds them out and makes them uncomfortable so they stop, but not in a way that is easy for them to describe to other people. So you don't, like, poop yourself or anything, or yell at them. You like, act like they're becoming your best friend because you're so desperate for any kind of attention that literally anything is ok, and this will make the bully be all like "uh...." and they don't like it. Like, after he kicks you in the butt and calls you a douchefart, whinge "please, please can you meet my mom, she thinks I don't have any friends".

:chloe:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yes! Exactly!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

Yes! Exactly!

Then you offer to show them your Elsa fanfic collection.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pick posted:

It's bad form to psychoanalyze your own gimmick.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

Alternatively go down into a crab stance and threaten to headbutt their balls into their nostrils 🦀🗣👃

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Umm the best way to deal with a bully is to work with him and bully lesser folk until you are no longer a target and in fact an ally

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

Me [19F] with my boyfriend [20M], together three years. His best friend [22M] keeps making rape jokes around/about me even though they're both aware I was brutally sexually assaulted as a teenager. I kind of hosed up, though, in how I reacted to it. Help?Personal issues

As horrific as this one is, I think she's figured out the best way to use the relationship subreddit - preemptively dump the motherfucker then post about it and bask in the glow of hundreds of strangers telling you you're right, because they are always, always pro-breakup.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Clark Nova posted:

As horrific as this one is, I think she's figured out the best way to use the relationship subreddit - preemptively dump the motherfucker then post about it and bask in the glow of hundreds of strangers telling you you're right, because they are always, always pro-breakup.

Is there a bizarro-reddit where the bias is towards trying to save the relationship?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

maskenfreiheit posted:

Subtle is "want to come over and watch a movie" or "how you doin'"

See, that first one is indistinguishable from "netflix and chill" as far as I'm concerned.

I'm old and uncool. Shocker.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

See, that first one is indistinguishable from "netflix and chill" as far as I'm concerned.

I'm old and uncool. Shocker.

"Want to come over and watch a movie" is "hey, let's see if there's chemistry and if so let's gently caress before the movie's over", in my experience.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Want to come over and watch a movie" is "hey, let's see if there's chemistry and if so let's gently caress before the movie's over", in my experience.

Yeah but "Netflix and chill" is just cliche and cheesy.

"Watch a movie" = romantic evening of wine and cinema

"Netflix and chill" = pawing at some poor woman before the Bojack theme is even finished

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

maskenfreiheit posted:

Yeah but "Netflix and chill" is just cliche and cheesy.

"Watch a movie" = romantic evening of wine and cinema

"Netflix and chill" = pawing at some poor woman before the Bojack theme is even finished

I'm sorry you've never met a woman who wanted to bang you, OP. :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I worry about what kind of man would give it up to Bojack Horseman

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I must be doing it wrong, I always bang then watch Netflix

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I usually blow dudes to old Kids in the Hall Episodes.

I like to sync everything up with that one skit so I can say "I'm working your head, I'm working your head"

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I get that there's a difference to the world at large, as Maskenfreiheit already pointed out. I'm just clarifying that prior to today's enlightenment, there wasn't for me.

I'd probably just say "Want to watch a movie and hang out" regardless, so it doesn't matter.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Outrail posted:

I said to her, "there's no need for that, you're at our home, I would agree with my parents and ask that you remain respectful." I tried to say it as politely and smiling as I can, but she clearly didn't take it well.

This is some condescending poo poo right up there with saying to someone 'Friendly reminder' or 'Bless your heart'. If you can't see how that would be insulting, especially after being asked already, you're a piece of poo poo.

He treated her like a child because she was acting like one. If you're in a household that's not comfortable with that sort of language and they kindly ask you to not use it, you apologize and move on. You don't roll your eyes, sigh loudly, and go "okay jeeze" as a 26 year old adult.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Pick posted:

Please don't reveal anymore trade secrets or we'll have to eject you from the conniving woman society :smith:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I feel like they weren't even really bullying him and it was just some honest good fun ribbing. Like that he had social development issues that made him take it so hard I think his sis coulda handled it better but I don't think there was really any malicious intent there.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Wife [32F] made a disgusting "sushi casserole" that I [33M] was against for a big potluck. Dish ended up a flop and now she's mad at me.

quote:

So my wife has recently gotten into very experimental, GIF-recipe type foods that you see on facebook. Like those recipes that looks questionable at best and even worse when it's made in real life.

Last weekend we were invited to a BIG labor day party by my wife's boss. It was actually pretty fancy and catered but also a "potluck" for those who wanted to show their special culinary skills. So welcome but not necessary. My wife decided on this "sushi casserole" or lasagna type thing that was basically layers of rice and sashimi in a baking tray. I watched her make it and she was winging a lot of it and it looked TERRIBLE. Like instead of making sushi rice, she just used regular rice, and instead of sashimi grade fish I think she just bought her own from god knows where and sliced it. It wasn't even good tuna or salmon, it was some other kinds of fish that I couldn't identify. She topped it off with cut up avocado and some Japanese mayo (like it did in the vid).

Well, when it was done it honestly, and I mean HONESTLY, looked like a tray of vomit. The mushed up avocado (which had gone slightly brown) plus reddish fish plus scattered rice and watery mayo made it look exactly like a big tray of puke. I was frank and told her the "sushi casserole" looks seriously gross and that sushi shouldn't even be in casserole/lasagna/burger/cake or whatever else buzzfeed comes up with that week to begin with. I thought we were both on the same page at that point and she would laugh and throw the monstrosity away, but she got extremely mad at me.

She told me I NEVER like the food she makes and I'm never supportive. She also brought up the fact that just because I had traveled more than she has and eaten at far more "fancy" restaurants than she, it doesn't mean I can be such a food snob. I told her that dish had nothing to do with trips to Japan or 3 Michelin star dinners; it was just a bad dish, period. Well, the day of the party comes and she brings the casserole. As suspected, it looked SUPER out of place on a table full of nicely arranged, catered foods (turned out very few people brought their own and the only ones that did made desserts). The day passes and everything else is polished down except for her sushi casserole. It remained sadly full and by the end of the party it was glaringly untouched and people were making subtle jokes about the "mystery dish." My wife heard some whispers about it and became visibly upset.

So we got back home and I tell her not to worry too much and that there was just too much food overall which is why hers wasn't as popular. She ignores me and walks off. So ever since then she's been cold and giving me the silent treatment on most afternoons. Apparently she's mad that I didn't get some of her casserole myself and didn't encourage others to try it. She said I humiliated her by not touching the dish and telling her it looked gross when she was making it. I told her I can't make people eat things they obviously don't want to eat.

oh, honey. your wife's just mad she didn't manage to poison her entire workplace

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You eat some because she's your wife, and then you poop for days. But no one else has to eat it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm pretty sure that casserole could literally kill you if you ate it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mmm love this uncooked fish dish, better wash it down with this pineapple juice from the puffy can.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm pretty sure that casserole could literally kill you if you ate it

Oh totally, but it's also a neat coming of age ritual like those tribes that make you wear mittens with bullet ants in them.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
This is like a sitcom.

Act 3: Husband returns to boss's house to get back his wife's heirloom tray that she left behind out of shame. Boss mocks wife's cooking. Witty banter, then husband delivers passionate monologue about how he loves his wife and her awful cooking. Camera zooms out to show wife heard everything. Marriage is saved.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

This is like a sitcom.

Act 3: Husband returns to boss's house to get back his wife's heirloom tray that she left behind out of shame. Boss mocks, wife's cooking. Witty banter, then husband delivers passionate monologue about how he loves his wife and her awful cooking. Camera zooms out to show wife heard everything. Marriage is saved.

act 4:

:siren: :siren:

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Barudak posted:

Mmm love this uncooked fish dish, better wash it down with this pineapple juice from the puffy can.

The puffy can just means bonus juice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a puffy can not a puffy can't.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Wife [32F] made a disgusting "sushi casserole" that I [33M] was against for a big potluck. Dish ended up a flop and now she's mad at me.
As someone who likes cooking myself I just don't understand this mentality. Like the very first thing you should consider when making something is "would the people I'm serving this to enjoy it?". When I attend a potluck i always make something a literal child would like, but just use better ingredients. Talking like mac n cheese or scalloped potatoes with nice cheese/ham/etc because I know people will like it, and it's always the dish that gets smashed first because it's comfort food done well.

You cook for your audience because that's the whole point of cooking for other people. That's not even saying it's lazy, it can be quite time consuming to make proper comfort food; people appreciate the effort that goes into peeling and thinly slicing a fuckload of potatoes, making a proper cheese sauce from good cheese, and giving it a nice crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Pick posted:

act 4:

:siren: :siren:

and that's where the party toilet comes in