Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

SWTOR comes to mind.

It's basically the only redeeming quality of that game. Unless you play Trooper than it's just as lovely as everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Are there MMOs where questing is the fun bit rather than everything else? I can't imagine if it was better to level by collecting 8 Wind Cores from those drat sprites instead of running The Vault.

Honestly questing in WoW since like Cata (and especially Legion) has been alright. They mix it up the objectives and gameplay quite a bit for an MMO - which is good, because higher level dungeons do NOT give a lot of exp in that game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bolow posted:

It's basically the only redeeming quality of that game. Unless you play Trooper than it's just as lovely as everything else

Latest SWTOR "expansion" spoilers: you can effectively wipe out havoc squad and kill Aric Jorgan (first companion) yourself.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

Are there MMOs where questing is the fun bit rather than everything else? I can't imagine if it was better to level by collecting 8 Wind Cores from those drat sprites instead of running The Vault.

LOTRO, definitely. When I levelled 1-75 it took me ~3 months of 3-4 hours a night of play; now that it's 1-115 it's probably 5 or 6. And when I get the urge to play between updates I almost always want to roll an alt and start questing rather than do endgame grinding on my main.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

EDIT: Wrong quest woops

This psuedo CSI thing..

Did they just bury this loving dude while he was unconscious, he climbs out of his grave and the zombies console him on his "undead" status, and they all just kind of roll with it?

:laffo:

Bolow fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 8, 2017

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My first job is at level 49, and still trucking through the MSQ. Is there any reason to do the beast tribe quests, other than for the venture coins? Does anything good get unlocked at higher affinity levels?

Does anything come from the squad thing in your Grand Company? I just unlocked that, and am working through all the starting stuff there. Does that lead to anything useful?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bolow posted:

This psuedo CSI thing..

Did they just bury this loving dude while he was unconscious, he climbs out of his grave and the zombies console him on his "undead" status, and they all just kind of roll with it?

Hildibrand is very good

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Orvin posted:

My first job is at level 49, and still trucking through the MSQ. Is there any reason to do the beast tribe quests, other than for the venture coins? Does anything good get unlocked at higher affinity levels?

You get a neat quest, a title, and the ability to buy a mount from each tribe at max rank. Also a really kickass quest once you max them all out.

Kobolds give the bomb palanquin, one of the coolest mounts in the game

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Once you get there HW beast tribes are really good experience every day, and you can help the mogs build some kind of cathedral to terrible taste.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Once you get there HW beast tribes are really good experience every day, and you can help the mogs build some kind of cathedral to terrible taste.

I unlocked moogle quests last night...

Why the gently caress does the game not mark those quests with the blue unlock marker. It makes it a huge pain in the rear end!

I guess that is following the official lore around moogles

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

comingafteryouall posted:

Why the gently caress does the game not mark those quests with the blue unlock marker. It makes it a huge pain in the rear end!

Haha, yeah there's like a dozen unmarked quests for them, spanning to Ishgard too. I remember using a guide for that.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Orvin posted:

Does anything come from the squad thing in your Grand Company? I just unlocked that, and am working through all the starting stuff there. Does that lead to anything useful?

- Beast tribes: ixali and moogle tribes are really good to help level your crafters; when you level the tribes, you get access to more shop stuff, minions, mounts, etc. Plus the HW tribes tie together with a endquest that is entertaining.

- Squad: it's basically a little side thing to do, I use it to grind out aetheryte passes and scrips. Upcoming patches will apparently let you send your squad into actual dungeons, so there's potential for them todo stuff in the future.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You have to mess with squads at least a little bit to get the highest GC rank, also

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

The quests predate the moogles existing as a beast tribe, which isn't really a reason as such, but...

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will continue running some beast tribe quests each day.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Bolow posted:

This psuedo CSI thing..

Keep going

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Zinkraptor posted:

To be fair, it is unfortunate that you can't feasibly level alt jobs through questing, but honestly the questing in FFXIV kind of sucks anyway, so really the game is saving you from yourself. Most of the appeal of the side quests comes from the story, so there's not much reason to want to do them more than once. Meanwhile, a lot of the instanced content is pretty engaging, so it works out (minus certain low level dungeons with very little going on).

This honestly bums me out. I'm at 70 with my DRK and slowly leveling up AST and contemplating which DPS I want to try out and there are so goddamn many red exclamation marks out there that I'm just going to ignore no matter what. Some of the sidequests in Stormblood are actually pretty interesting, I thought, from the little bit of leveling I did and actually iterate into multiple levels of story along the way (I dug the ones in Shisui) but it's hard to force myself to go back to the ones I left behind when I know that I'd level far faster using roulettes. I guess there's more incentive in levels 60 - 70 to do them since POTD loses efficacy there, but I'd love it if they doubled quest XP as well as part of the armory bonus.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bolow posted:

This psuedo CSI thing..

post trip reports

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bolow posted:

This psuedo CSI thing..

See it through to the end, it is certainly worth it.

And with the armory bonus you shoot through those lower level dungeons at a super quick rate.

I'm on my second job and still don't know my way around Sastasha or Haukke Manor, because I've only run them both maybe 3 times.

That's so funny to hear. I'm currently seriously leveling my 4th job and I"m pretty convinced I could run Sastasha completely blind. I know I can do Ala Mhigo in my sleep from experience.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
https://twitter.com/HienYuyu/status/905448031620702208
so MNK was buffed

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

See it through to the end, it is certainly worth it.

That's so funny to hear. I'm currently seriously leveling my 4th job and I"m pretty convinced I could run Sastasha completely blind. I know I can do Ala Mhigo in my sleep from experience.

Maybe it's just that new expansion smell lingering but I haven't seen Copperbell/Tam-Tara/Sastasha in leveling unless I'm playing a sub-50 class more then a couple times. It's not even just the Stormblood leveling dungeons either- I had like a week solid of Sohm Al while leveling WAR to 70 and I've probably seen The Vault and Great Gubal more in leveling in the last two months then the entire year leading up to it.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Mr. Locke posted:

Maybe it's just that new expansion smell lingering but I haven't seen Copperbell/Tam-Tara/Sastasha in leveling unless I'm playing a sub-50 class more then a couple times. It's not even just the Stormblood leveling dungeons either- I had like a week solid of Sohm Al while leveling WAR to 70 and I've probably seen The Vault and Great Gubal more in leveling in the last two months then the entire year leading up to it.

Same, it seems like if I queued up leveling on a 60+ job I either got an SB or HW dungeon every time.

I've probably gotten Great Gubal more than Sastasha at this point.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

すごい!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Same, it seems like if I queued up leveling on a 60+ job I either got an SB or HW dungeon every time.

I've probably gotten Great Gubal more than Sastasha at this point.

I keep getting pissvale with newbies

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I forgot to post this earlier but man does it feel good to clear at last. Hali Savage is a cool fight :toot:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

^^^ Haley Savage is kind of like what A3S could have been if Living Liquid wasn't awful. It's a genuinely fun raid. Have fun being chased by black holes in O4S!

Replace Tornado Kick with FALCON PUNCH and I will go back to maining monk forever.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 8, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

This dude is like the shittiest detective in the entire world

Also surprise masochists in a box????

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
You have not yet BEGUN to witness the glory of Hildebrand Heliodor Manderville and the Manderville Clan.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bolow posted:

This dude is like the shittiest detective in the entire world

Also surprise masochists in a box????

Have you ever seen the old Pink Panther movies

Hildibrand is literally Inspector Clouseau

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

Have you ever seen the old Pink Panther movies

Hildibrand is literally Inspector Clouseau

By way of Gary's Mod.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Today I was grinding my Dark Knight and did a quick Sirensong Sea before the reset, then got Sirensong Sea again for leveling roulette five minutes later... with the exact same group of people.

Also lol, got Kugane Castle for exdr and the PLD did considerably more DPS on the last fight than any of the real DPSes. Apparently PLD is good now????

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
PLD has been great since SB launch.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Yeah at some point Square decided the whole "actually paladins are SUPPOSED to be bad" thing wasn't working out, and finally let them do damage. I don't know if they're actually fun to PLAY right now, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kicking rear end is fun so PLD is probably really fun.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Arist posted:

Today I was grinding my Dark Knight and did a quick Sirensong Sea before the reset, then got Sirensong Sea again for leveling roulette five minutes later... with the exact same group of people.

That's normal, people often form a group and run it repeatedly to level 61-63

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Questing in Runescape is the best bit of the game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zinkraptor posted:

Yeah at some point Square decided the whole "actually paladins are SUPPOSED to be bad" thing wasn't working out, and finally let them do damage. I don't know if they're actually fun to PLAY right now, though.

They're incredibly fun to play. You have two damage boosting abilities in Fight or Flight and Requiscat. Paladin at 70 has a dot it applies as one part of it's dps combo, a heavy combo finisher for DPS, and then they get 12 seconds to cast magical nukes all over the place.

Plus you have a monstrous defensive toolkit where you can save players from death. PLD is good and fun, my friend.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zinkraptor posted:

It's fun, can confirm. They gave us an aoe damage spam move now so being a pld owns

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SonicRulez posted:

I have not played it since before it went F2P, but with DDO, questing *was* levelling.

The flaw from this was readily apparent: You level the exact same way, every time, with every character, no matter how you class yourself. There were no alternative XP streams, and XP distribution from each quest available to you at a given level was calculated to give you exactly the correct amount of XP you needed to get to the next level.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Paladin kind of has too many buttons now, and I have no idea why they decided Scourge and Fracture had to go but Goring Blade could stay.

It's still way better than it was before 4.0 though.