Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

:lol: at the HUD, looks straight out of Star Citizen.

Also, to be fair, you could do a lot worse in terms of ideas than apeing UI controls from well-done games, since they often get to evolve under actual-use to be actually decent at their jobs and look good at the same time.

(Star Citizen notwithstanding)

It's a little like how there have been military use of PlayStation and Xbox controllers. Because MS and Sony poured more money into interaction design than the military will and the general layout and control use is the result of 20 years of control evolution.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Little known fact, the nacelles were named for original series actress Nacelle Nickels

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What'd you expect you frikkin idjit

Eh, that's the point. She just got out of a relationship and is wallpapering a new love onto someone who can't reciprocate.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Oh man, the foreshadowing when she was talking about why she broke up with Jeff, I didn't even pick up on it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I like the slightly sad and eerie ending where Data says he'll delete the program, pets Spot and blows out the candle.

That episode was kind of like what I'd do if you'd hired me to write one. I always wanted a character-based sci-fi dramatic sitcom.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't get Picard's explanation for why he needs to pilot the shuttle at all. "It's my ship, I need to do this" no you don't

Picard gambled the lives of his entire crew, plus all eleventy billion residents on earth, plus the existence of the Federation government because fighting a ship full of battlemonsters from Remus with only his geriatric rear end was "something he had to do" rather than sending Data or Worf.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's the Captain's prerogative to be a loving idiot because of his pride. Why else become a Captain?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Anything above warp 8 is probably hard on the engines (requires more maintenance, increased chance of a failure), the low warp speeds are probably way more fuel efficient, but yeah warp factors are basically:

1-6 just cruising along. no bigs

7-8 things are serious. there is a problem

9+ OH poo poo

The best part of Generations was when they had a moment of actual science inbetween all the weirdness that is happening in that movie.

The star is imploding and has thrown off the shockwave that is going to destroy the station and there is the tense race to get Geordi and Data back before the shockwave arrives. They get back to the ship with seconds to spare and Picard orders an immediate jump to warp. But only warp 1, because it's an exploding star so anything FTL is good enough to get them away from it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Orv posted:

It's the Captain's prerogative to be a loving idiot because of his pride. Why else become a Captain?

More like it's apparently the lead actor's prerogative to get creative control and insist that his character should become an action hero because he's tired of being a weenie reading books and cumming on old pots all the time, no matter how little sense this makes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

More like it's apparently the lead actor's prerogative to get creative control and insist that his character should become an action hero because he's tired of being a weenie reading books and cumming on old pots all the time, no matter how little sense this makes.

Well if Patrick Stewart wanted it, it's fine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's gonna take them over 11 hours to reach the planet but it's only three light-hours away? This reminds me of something I've wondered about for a while which is what the disadvantages are of higher warp speeds, what warp speed they cruise at by default, etc.

The warp scale was supposed to be pretty clear it's a log scale based on the speed of light at Warp 1. The idea that it approaches infinite at 10 is not a property of logarithms as far as I am aware and makes everything confusing.

Eventually the tech guys gave up and said actual speed varies by subspace domain topology or whatever nonsense so warp speed means nothing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VitalSigns posted:

This, this is what ruined the TNG movies, letting the actors write their own fan fiction. I love Brent and Pat but they belong firmly in front of the camera, not anything to do behind it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oh man i love metroidprime

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

I was excited to hear that, but after seeing the examples I am underwhelmed. I don't think his retro art style, which worked so well for 60S TOS, is right for TNG.

It would/will make more sense for DS9, with all the 50s-60s genre pastiches they do.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't get Picard's explanation for why he needs to pilot the shuttle at all. "It's my ship, I need to do this" no you don't

It was all a buildup to "Now would be a good time, Mr. O'Brien", which makes it okay in my book.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

After The War posted:

It was all a buildup to "Now would be a good time, Mr. O'Brien", which makes it okay in my book.

Truth.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

After The War posted:

Eh, I still prefer Kirk's classic "Gentlemen, I suggest you beam me aboard" from The Doomsday Machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqNwj8HSVKc

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think it's been too long since the topic of branding came up:

What's the definition of Star Trek? What makes a story well-suited to being branded a Star Trek? Does it have any particular meaning or values, or is it just any story that has phasers and transporters and a starship named Enterprise somewhere in it or its background/history?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Ds9 documentry is going to be really COOL. Both Peter Capaldi and Tony Head auditioned. You'd think Odo, but they are going for Sisko. I think the producers made the best choice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Immediate cut to Riker: "I think you should pursue it. First of all, she's a beautiful woman."

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Picard: "I will be happy to offer all the advice I have on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."

Geordi: "Data, would you like to see my woman suit?"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Watching the TNG season 7 two-parter, Gambit. It is terrible and uncompelling.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You may think you just don't get it, but

It not you. It Gambit

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

What's the definition of Star Trek? What makes a story well-suited to being branded a Star Trek? Does it have any particular meaning or values, or is it just any story that has phasers and transporters and a starship named Enterprise somewhere in it or its background/history?

The opening speech sums it up nicely: 'to boldly go,' and all that.

I mean yeah you could argue about :techno: and :riker: waves and waves of cum ad nauseum, but at some point we'll stop loving everything up and things get better. There are four lights.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
The DS9 episode where a guy wanted Quark to take pictures of Kira so he could have an accurate holosuite simulation should have guest starred Geordi.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

TenCentFang posted:

The DS9 episode where a guy wanted Quark to take pictures of Kira so he could have an accurate holosuite simulation should have guest starred Geordi.

---

In today's Kobayashi Maru: That's using your noggin!

Death Ray fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 8, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Showrunner Hints Show’s Klingons Modeled on Trump Voters: ‘Racial Purity Is a Big Theme’

DSC showrunner Aaron Harberts posted:

The Klingons are going to help us really look at certain sides of ourselves and our country. Isolationism is a big theme. Racial purity is a big theme. The Klingons are not the enemy, but they do have a different view on things. It raises big questions: Should we let people in? Do we want to change? There’s also the question of just because you reach your hand out to someone, do they have to take it? Sometimes, they don’t want to take it.

North Korea is in our thoughts as we finish the series, he said. What began as a commentary on our own divided nation — in terms of Trump supporters and non-Trump supporters — has blown out to North Korea and how we’re right on the brink. [The U.S. is] actually right at the place where Starfleet finds itself in episode one and we couldn’t have anticipated that happening.

First of all, "finish the series"?!
Second of all, yikes.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
That's not necessarily a bad thing but I am not sure if the writers can pull it off well. We probably won't get a "Earth. Hitler. 1938" out of it.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
"These Klingons remind me of a time back before the Eugenics Wars...when Hitler was voted President of the United States."
"That wasn't Hitler."
*they both look at the camera*
*credits*

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If they're smart they'll do that thing where they mention a real historical figure place or thing and then two more fictional ones to show that time has passed between now and the future, only the real figure will be Trump and the other made up ones will be like Colonel Green and Khan

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait poo poo they're doubling down on the augment thing and these are the REAL Klingons and every one in previous shows were infected.

That's stupid.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
That's actually the more concerning part since it was a reaaally dumb plotline in Enterprise. I'd rather it be more abstract with the fear of them eventually joining the Federation. But we'll see soon enough.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Still think DS9 should have just had Michael Dorn in TOS-style makeup when the Defiant was in the 23rd century, and nobody notices or mentions it at all.

Absolute best would have been for the show's cast and crew to totally deny any difference as well. "What do you mean? He looks totally normal throughout the episode. :confused:"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anthony Stewart Head and Peter Capaldi both auditioned for Sisko. :stare:

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Orv posted:

see: Kirk, James T.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks up Peter Capaldi's current age.

Subtracts 25 years.

Looks at own age.

Feels old in a 4th dimensional way.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Captains get a loving YACHT to themselves.

Captains can do what they want.

Picard just LET Riker tell him to stay on the ship during away missions, as Picard wanted some flute practice and knew his number one always wanted some skin flute practice.

Also: missed opportunity for TNG-style zany ideas for how the ships are setup: make the Captain's Yacht his permanent quarters and he can just be like later suckerz daily.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope there's a timeline or alternate universe somewhere out there where Pete Postlethwaite got to play a Star Trek captain.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I would watch a Star Trek where Peter Capaldi played a captain that was basically just Malcolm Tucker from The Thick of It.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Instant Sunrise posted:

I would watch a Star Trek where Peter Capaldi played a captain that was basically just Malcolm Tucker from The Thick of It.

Star Trek: Bureaucracy

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
A Star Trek series where a media fuckup by a low level political in the federation ends up committing them to taking a side in a Klingon-Romulan War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I would say Star Trek is rooted in a setting which is optimistic, in particular with the implication that Earth and the human race will become better than we tend to think of ourselves; we will overcome our various current challenges and will confront new ones from a new perspective. On a creative level it is also rooted in a sort of theater sensibility. Transporters and phasers and so on are just the established details; I myself wouldn't object to a "Star Trek" that reimagined stuff like that if there was a creative purpose to it.