Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

graynull posted:

How do people with houseboats generally fair in these kinds of catastrophes? Part of my brain thinks they'd be better off and the other part thinks worse, and I'm not sure which is less incorrect.

If they got a weeks head start, they could feasibly evacuate by sea up to Charleston. Otherwise it's about the same thing a mobile home does in a tornado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

These loving morons just succeeded in recording the best example of common white privilege in history.

The fact that he was arrogant enough to believe this was a sensible thing to do? Or the fact that he didn't get shot? He was wearing a mask, so I don't think the latter counts as much.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

HootTheOwl posted:

The SSN is a unique identifier, unlike your name.

It's supposed to be unique but sometimes they manage to gently caress that up too and it's used an example for DB design of one of the many reasons to use surrogate keys (an artificial unique identifier) over a natural key (supposedly unique naturally by business or other rules).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Caros posted:

The fact that he was arrogant enough to believe this was a sensible thing to do? Or the fact that he didn't get shot? He was wearing a mask, so I don't think the latter counts as much.

Yes, yes, and the fact that both of them felt confident enough to hurl expletives towards officers with *weapons drawn*, and the idiot with the camera TURNED HIS BACK (about the biggest no-no you can do when the cops are drawn and kill-horny) to the officers while they were brandishing weapons.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

graynull posted:

How do people with houseboats generally fair in these kinds of catastrophes? Part of my brain thinks they'd be better off and the other part thinks worse, and I'm not sure which is less incorrect.

You're mixing up tsunamis with hurricanes.

Boats can go out a few miles out from shore and be like "what tsunamis ? Lol. .......... poo poo wheres the dock/pier?"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Majorian posted:

Welp, Rush himself fled like a liberal cuck, so maybe that convinced her to get out too?

Hope she's okay, dude.

There's a fairly decent chance that bullshit is getting one more people killed this weekend and there'll probably be no way to prove it and no real lasting consequences for Rush either.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes, yes, and the fact that both of them felt confident enough to hurl expletives towards officers with *weapons drawn*, and the idiot with the camera TURNED HIS BACK to the officers while they were brandishing weapons.

It is sort of surprising he didn't end up with four warning shots in the back for that, yeah.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/906351899133214720

Irma is officially back at Cat 5.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Caros posted:

It is sort of surprising he didn't end up with four warning shots in the back for that, yeah.

You misread it. The guy typed "Turned his back" not 'he was black"

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

R.I.P. Santa Lucia, Cuba :( A friend has some family there - they moved everything into the concrete buildings, but the concrete isn't very thick.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen holy poo poo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

pubic void nullo posted:

R.I.P. Santa Lucia :(

Rip America's dong.

You scored a lot.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Internet Kraken posted:

How the gently caress is there even room for Jose to build up enough power to be a huge hurricane right after Harvey?

If God is real he designed nature terribly. I'm filing a complaint.

Higher temperatures allow more water vapor in the air which means more stored temperature in the ocean too which means more energy to power more storms.

Basic convection currents, with a side of fluid dynamics and barometrics.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

coyo7e posted:

Higher temperatures allow more water vapor in the air which means more stored temperature in the ocean too which means more energy to power more storms.

Basic convection currents, with a side of fluid dynamics and barometrics.

I eat convectionaries all the time and that's not how any of it works, moran!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

People of Miami exercising priority in what they evacuate.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's a background story here worth hearing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/905938627796111360

RandomBlue posted:

I eat convectionaries all the time and that's not how any of it works, moran!
Sorry I simplified a lot of the process such as the increase water vapor preventing evaporation which keeps the temperature of the ocean highersince it can't release heat, etc etc.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Young Freud posted:

That's one quarter the population of Florida. :stare:

They know that most people can't evacuate; they don't even have the infrastructure to move that many people without it taking weeks. Declaring the evacuation is just a legal cover so they aren't liable for anything.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

someone else engaging in a little culture destruction smh

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I did a quick search and it looks like its a statue... in Cuba

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g147271-d2276688-i161493985-Plaza_Vieja-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html

I have no idea how it got to Miami

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

There's a fairly decent chance that bullshit is getting one more people killed this weekend and there'll probably be no way to prove it and no real lasting consequences for Rush either.

Yeah, which is disgusting. In a sane society he'd be prosecuted.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It's a copy of a statue named Viaje Fantástico, by Roberto Fabelo, a Cuban artist. The original is in Havana.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Speaking of statues, anyone have a list of confederate statues in florida that could receive some storm damage from poor doomed florida goons?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

farraday posted:

Speaking of statues, anyone have a list of confederate statues in florida that could receive some storm damage from poor doomed florida goons?

I'm imagining someone bringing down a statue piece by piece and the wind suddenly grabbing the sword and whisking it away.:aaa:

I can't liiiiiive...if living is without yoooou...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

drat she forked that cock good

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/weinbergersa/status/906337836919611393

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

farraday posted:

"Maybe God is punishing the United States for continuing to honor the Confederacy?"

I'm sure you could really piss off some pro-statue conservatives with that line.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sexual Aluminum posted:

You misread it. The guy typed "Turned his back" not 'he was black"

:golfclap:

empty whippet box posted:

This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebt0l8s3aMQ

Enjoy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This is a good read on just how utterly hosed Tampa is
https://twitter.com/melissalyttle/status/905589379741057024

:bisonyes:

I want these fuckers to drown. They doubled down on their idiocy and now they deserve everything coming at them.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

bobjr posted:

My aunt lives in Tampa and is all in on the Rush Limbaugh "This is all liberal lies" train, so I hope she makes it okay.

Tell her that Rush himself has bailed and report back to us her response.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hello

Denali ( Formerly Mt McKinley) was formerly named after a Confederate soldier ( William McKinley). OUR HERITAGE!!!

It's widely regarded as one of the most beautiful mountains in the world, it was renamed in 2015 to Denali

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 9, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Life comes at you fast

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/906352026107482112

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/906351890639843329

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr Interweb posted:

Tell her that Rush himself has bailed and report back to us her response.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Breitbart is losing their goddamn minds

Why?

https://twitter.com/BreitbartNews/status/906349522292486144

Sessions is not investigating IRS targeting of tea party groups

Caros
May 14, 2008

Because they expected a witch hunt at the IRS over the stupid poo poo from like... 2012?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Caros posted:

Because they expected a witch hunt at the IRS over the stupid poo poo from like... 2012?

They thought Sessions would deliver

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Probably the most punchable face in the last 40 years of American politics.

Cruz's simpering mug is in the competition but my reaction to him is more "reeling away in nauseous horror" whereas Mr. Ryan awakens some kind of Ancient Genetic Predisposition toward the administration of a Swirly.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Hello

Denali ( Formerly Mt McKinley) was formerly named after a Confederate soldier ( William McKinley). OUR HERITAGE!!!

It's widely regarded as one of the most beautiful mountains in the world, it was renamed in 2015 to Denali

McKinley was from Ohio and fought on the union side. :confused:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
When you talk to a trumpite about how there could be something biblical and wrath-like in all the Hurricanes, they'll only glow on about how the Rapture and Apocalypse is surly at hand. Don't expect a republican to actually be alarmed in a sense that something should be done if its actually addressing the problem. From what I've seen, they tend to fall on older death cult beliefs and relish the opportunity of vindicating Christianity to finally be at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

enraged_camel posted:

:bisonyes:

I want these fuckers to drown. They doubled down on their idiocy and now they deserve everything coming at them.

The people affected by the storm aren't the ones making decisions, you idiot.

• Locked thread