Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Cirina was dropping some pretty heavy hints though.

:gonk: nooooooooo

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Got myself best mount. I'm pokemon yo-kai master.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Got myself best mount. I'm pokemon yo-kai master.

But does it glow?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The nice thing about SB's supporting vilains is, since Zenos is a completely cartoonish supervillain, both Fordola and Yotsuyu get to have pretty understandable motivations for being absolute monstrous assholes to everybody. The issue is Fordola is a loving monster, now literally as well as figuratively. Any hope of her justifying her actions as wanting to do right by her people was shot when she slaughtered her own men under Zenos' order. She has nobody to stand with her, she has no people to save, the whole country united and she's in prison for crimes she willingly did. If there's any fate for her short of a lengthy military tribunal and execution, I'd be a fair bit let down. I expect both Yotsuyu and Fordola may have to face some sort of Nuremburg-style official reckoning, though that'd be kind of grim and weird for a magic punch game to focus on, though they've explored some kind of weird political story roads before.

Yotsuyu was taking out her aggression on Doman injustice out on the people, which makes some sense given the callous nature of Doman society prior to Garlemald's conquest. Ala Mhigo had a mad king, but that's not nearly as bad as the implications of Doman society -- Lord Kaien was by all accounts a fine ruler by the Doman perspective, which means Doman society had holistic problems that led to the sale of human beings and the cruelty visited upon Yotsuyu. It's all a bit vague too, I'd like to know more about what the hell happened there.

I'll be disappointed if they somehow try to give Fordola an out, though. She's a really bad person, even if there's justification for her violent attitude, she's for her whole adult life been a willing participant in a fascist regime, willfully ignoring how hollow Garlean promises of merit and equality are.

This game is also about redemption. Fordola will be given a chance to join the Scions as a penance for her crimes. She'll be exiled from Ala Mhigo and told to serve the rest of her life as a Scion, away from her homeland, the one thing she loved. So she gets punished and has to do good. Plus, it spices up the Scion roster.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

But does it glow?

I want to still like this game, so I probably won't be getting all those legendary weapons.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Mordiceius posted:

This game is also about redemption. Fordola will be given a chance to join the Scions as a penance for her crimes. She'll be exiled from Ala Mhigo and told to serve the rest of her life as a Scion, away from her homeland, the one thing she loved. So she gets punished and has to do good. Plus, it spices up the Scion roster.

My guess is that she breaks out and rejoins the Garleans, but betrays them when they decide to unleash their ultra lethal biological weapon on Ala Mhigo or Doma. Heroic sacrifice optional but very likely.

Either that, or Doma's getting :gas: again. There's zero chance that they introduced something like that just to forget about it though.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 10, 2017

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I don't care what they do so long as I get to keep hearing that accent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

My guess is that she breaks out and rejoins the Garleans, but betrays them when they decide to unleash their ultra lethal biological weapon on Ala Mhigo or Doma. Heroic sacrifice optional but very likely.

Either that, or Doma's getting :gas: again. There's zero chance that they introduced something like that just to forget about it though.

Canonically FF6 Doma was poisoned by a crazy soldier who was experimented on to give magical powers so if they keep up the parallel thing it's not lookin' super great for Doma in that case.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When, exactly, should I be using Quietus other than "when Delirium is on cooldown"? I'm about to hit 66 and I already feel like I generally have more Blackblood than I ever know what to do with, can't imagine how much getting it off Blood Price is gonna make that worse. Is it even worth it to Dark Arts it?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A Spider Covets posted:

If anyone, I'm surprised they weren't bitching about Lyse after her wet fart of a storyline in SB. She really didn't develop at all, just kind of... became the leader of the rebellion without learning anything about herself, I guess. Or at least demonstrating that she did, not saying it.

I mean, the story's not done yet, though. Do you think she's going to just disappear now?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

When, exactly, should I be using Quietus other than "when Delirium is on cooldown"? I'm about to hit 66 and I already feel like I generally have more Blackblood than I ever know what to do with, can't imagine how much getting it off Blood Price is gonna make that worse. Is it even worth it to Dark Arts it?

Quietus uses Blackbood and restores MP. If you use it in the middle of big pulls you'll have so much MP you can spam DA-Abyssal until your eyes fall out.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

This Hildibrand questline is incredible, but I can't decide whether them doing those goofy exaggerated anime expressions on a 3D model is either terrifying or hilarious

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On that note, the HP regen off DA + AD is handy but the lack of a potency increase means I rarely bother unless I really need the health. Should I change that habit, too?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bolow posted:

This Hildibrand questline is incredible, but I can't decide whether them doing those goofy exaggerated anime expressions on a 3D model is either terrifying or hilarious

Both!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

ImpAtom posted:

Canonically FF6 Doma was poisoned by a crazy soldier who was experimented on to give magical powers so if they keep up the parallel thing it's not lookin' super great for Doma in that case.

All the same, I can't see them going that route since A. It would be completely derivative, and B. Reversing all the progress we've made in the story and then some would seriously piss people off. I could totally see Fordola or Yotsuyuu foiling an imperial attempt at it as a redemption plot though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Here's my impression of Hien: "Hello."

[While Cyan's Theme plays, making this actually one of the best parts of the story of the game as a whole.]

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

One of the 61 sidequests mentions a biological weapon that was being developed. Gaius quashed it, but he's not around anymore...

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jay Rust posted:

Here's my impression of Hien: "Hello."

Just the fact that Hien recognized his own people's choice in the matter and wouldn't move until he knew what they wanted makes him leagues better than any other leader we've seen so far.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arist posted:

On that note, the HP regen off DA + AD is handy but the lack of a potency increase means I rarely bother unless I really need the health. Should I change that habit, too?

Yeah, the drain effect is insanely good for large AOE pulls. Especially if you just let Living Dead proc and your healer doesn't have benediction available.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I want to still like this game, so I probably won't be getting all those legendary weapons.
I am sorry then, you only have the second best mount

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got a pork roast in the slow cooker.

While I'm doing this, anyone up for doing Crystal Tower right now?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got a pork roast in the slow cooker.

While I'm doing this, anyone up for doing Crystal Tower right now?
What's your name? I'll come heal, idk how many people you'll get but maybe that will expedite the queue a little

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd strongly suggest waiting about a month for the next patch to do CT. Right now there's very little reason for anyone to do it, so getting 23 other people to join you even through DF will take a long time. That will change in 4.1 when they add alliance roulette.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I love the CT raids, wish I could hop on. Farmed them for months for the BLM hats, never saw Amon's drop once. Still haven't gotten the BLM chest piece from WoD either.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
I think some of the i320 crafted stuff is dyeable WOD gear, so you can at least get the look down if you have a pile of money. Seeing as the healer/caster skirt is literally the only mid-length one in the game, it might be necessary for your dress up simulator.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Arist posted:

The blood gauge is pretty meh until you get bloodspiller at 68.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

homeless snail posted:

What's your name? I'll come heal, idk how many people you'll get but maybe that will expedite the queue a little

I'm in DF right now queued up, it's been fluxuating but we had mostly a full group. full on healers, need tank/dps atm. Excalibur

Gvaz Elite if you wanna be friendos tho.

edit: only need tanks right now, if you please

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 10, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

She didn't love her homeland at all though? Seriously she resented her life and the decisions of her parent's generation that lead the country to become a devastated hole in the ground. She hated the people that still fought what was (until very very very recently) and entirely hopeless battle that would decimate their ranks even more Fordola and her supporters and the other people working for the Garleans did so not out of some love of country, but because they had no better option but to end up dead in a desert. No hope for the future, no past to take pride in. They were a lost generation, and that's why she was willing to give it all to Garleans for some hope of better tomorrow.

Hell, even in the end the war was won by sheer luck and stupidity. Zenos in control of Shinryu could have easily killed everyone. The thing was just shy of Bahamut it power scale. The only reason we had a chance was because he didn't give two shits about the rebellion. he openly invited and allowed us to build our forced and push forward. He lets us have a chance by taking us in a direct fight. Literally the only reason Fordola isn't watching Lyse in prison right now and showing her how stupid she was to believe in a free Ala Mhigo is Zenos' massive battle boner.

Forola and the skulls and the other collaborators did do some hosed up poo poo, but many of them had no better choice for most of their lives. Fordola was young enough to not know anything but Imperial rule. She's been serving long enough to reach one of the highest ranks available. Of course she isn't going to turn coat and run when some wispy blonde comes back after not being there for most of her life, not seeing the pain and agony the rebels struggle causes the people. Lyse's story will only be interesting/whole if there's actually someone to test her beliefs and decisions and Fordola is way better suited as the Iron Will against her than some lovely redemption arc where she's effectively set free with no real character development or focus.

It's set up to be contrast with Yotsuyu's backstory where she was robbed of her future not by the Empire but by the structure of her own country. She was not failed by her ancestors' struggle she was failed by Hein's father allowing such gross poo poo to happen among his people because all he cared about was avoiding total destruction. It doesn't matter if your society is broken at a fundamental level, your own kinsmen turned against each other, you cut out their rights, as long as they're alive it's been good enough. Even with his rebellion Cyan (whatever the gently caress his name was) was too late to make good on what he had allowed, his society was already corrupt and awful. Fordola's problems is she genuinely believed the empire was the way to go, because it was the only glimmer of hope for her for so long to the point that she would put down her countrymen to force them into equal submission. Yotsuyu didn't give a poo poo about the Empire, or garlemeld or anyone, all she wanted was to be safe and be in control. Eventually this turned sadistic and focused on enacting revenge on Doma at large. Hein admits Yotsuyu's suffering was unjust and directly promises her, even after all she's done, he'll keep her struggle in mind moving forward, because her leaders, his fathers, failed her. Fordola on the other hand has Lyse who expressly sees no reason and has not empathy towards Fordola and her followers. She is purposefully spiteful to her at the end, basically telling her to rot. Lyse has stated she has learned nothing from her journey's in Ala Mhigo, seen nothing worth fixing, and holds absolutely no understanding of those that were stuck there suffering with no way out but death or servitude.

Like given how much the game loves to show Hein as a smart, capable leader, its very much going out of its way to set up Lyse as someone that is stumble and will continue to stumble with the reins of leadership. And Fordola is probably going to a much bigger part of that than just 'And then we put her on trial.'

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 10, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I think some of the i320 crafted stuff is dyeable WOD gear, so you can at least get the look down if you have a pile of money. Seeing as the healer/caster skirt is literally the only mid-length one in the game, it might be necessary for your dress up simulator.

Ah pro tip, thanks!

Is there a list of what crafted stuff is dyable dungeon/raid gear?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lyse's story will only be interesting/whole if there's actually someone to test her beliefs and decisions and Fordola is way better suited as the Iron Will against her than some lovely redemption arc where she's effectively set free with no real character development or focus.

Yeah, I'd rather see this and I'd really rather see Fordola either realize that she'd been motivated by pure selfishness or for her to come to her senses and make some genuine atonement for her misdeeds. I don't want her to become the Vegeta of the Scions or whatever.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I mean, the story's not done yet, though. Do you think she's going to just disappear now?

No, I just would have liked to see more of that kind of thing during the storyline we've seen so far. It feels like there should have been something in the buildup. Like I said in my other post, hopefully future patches will work on it.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Ah pro tip, thanks!

Is there a list of what crafted stuff is dyable dungeon/raid gear?

The only ones I know off the top of my head are the i320 craftable bottom, which is a dyeable verson of the Demon Skirt of Casting/Healing, and the Ghost Barque Turbans, which are a dyeable version of...i180 dungeon gear IIRC? I've been using the latter for a long time and the former since I hit 70 on my AST.

the one-off area is nice for pictures

Also w/r/t Shinryu, I'm still fairly certain that the WoL is going to turn out to be some ancient Allagan anti-primal weapon that siphons power off of anything that has too much aether for its own good. It would explain why you can kill Shinryu+Zenos while apparently still not being able to do much more than fight Zenos himself to a standstill. I mean, he doesn't seem any worse for the wear when he hops out to give his monologue and do his primal-hijacking.

That or I'm overthinking the plot of a dumb anime game for children.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's set up to be contrast with Yotsuyu's backstory where she was [spoiler]robbed of her future not by the Empire but by the structure of her own country. She was not failed by her ancestors' struggle she was failed by Hein's father allowing such gross poo poo to happen among his people because all he cared about was avoiding total destruction. It doesn't matter if your society is broken at a fundamental level, your own kinsmen turned against each other, you cut out their rights, as long as they're alive it's been good enough. Even with his rebellion Cyan (whatever the gently caress his name was) was too late to make good on what he had allowed, his society was already corrupt and awful.

I don't think Yotsuyu's rotten life was really caused by anything uniquely Doman, it's just what happens in any society without sufficient protection for weaker/poorer people. I mean, that's a serious problem even in the real world in a lot of the wealthier, prosperous countries.

I think people have pointed out a good thing about Hien. He only sets out to lead the rebellion once it's been demonstrated that his people really want one. If they were content with living under the crushing rule of Yotsuyu, then he would've left them be. Only once they showed themselves willing and understanding that rebellion will lead to death did he choose to take on the cause. Rather than forcing his countrymen to follow his lead, he let them choose for him. And in deciding to acknowledge and remember Yotsuyu's pain, he's accepting that freedom for Doma is just a first step to something better, not the end goal. His father couldn't literally solve every problem of Doma both before and after the Garleans came but that doesn't make him any less responsible for Yotsuyu's suffering as the leader of his nation, and that's a burden Hien will have to bear too.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The only ones I know off the top of my head are the i320 craftable bottom, which is a dyeable verson of the Demon Skirt of Casting/Healing, and the Ghost Barque Turbans, which are a dyeable version of...i180 dungeon gear IIRC? I've been using the latter for a long time and the former since I hit 70 on my AST.

the level 60 crafted sets are the same as i215 dungeon gear and level 64 crafted is the Aery/Orthodox sets.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also w/r/t Shinryu, I'm still fairly certain that the WoL is going to turn out to be some ancient Allagan anti-primal weapon that siphons power off of anything that has too much aether for its own good. It would explain why you can kill Shinryu+Zenos while apparently still not being able to do much more than fight Zenos himself to a standstill. I mean, he doesn't seem any worse for the wear when he hops out to give his monologue and do his primal-hijacking.

That or I'm overthinking the plot of a dumb anime game for children.

It's because you have 7 super elite adventurer buddies helping you out. The WoL does not actually solo raid bosses - it just often looks like they do, especially since the game can't "save" player appearances for cutscenes that happen after the instance end, so the WoL is pretty much always shown by his/herself after the fight for that reason alone.

I think some of the quest text in Stormblood lampshades this. I wanna say Susano?

Pyramid schema
Aug 14, 2017

Arist posted:

To start: once you hit 66 Delirium will take a huge leap in importance in using off of CD when you have Blood Price or Blood Weapon to extend their effects (even more so when you have Bloodspiller) so keep trying to use it before other blood spenders. Quietus will get a lot easier to use more often once Blood Price starts giving you Black Blood so you'll be able to spam Quietus a lot in trash pulls but focus only on using it with 3+ targets and with 5 or more targets Quietus will give you enough MP to use Dark Arts so you can spare more MP on making AD give you healing or even throwing out a DA DP. Otherwise, you really want to avoid using DA on Quietus unless you'd over cap on MP since you can use it to better effect elsewhere such as even throwing out an unbuffed Dark Passenger or..

Arist posted:

DA'ing AD. This is actually really worth it if you have the MP to spare. It may only absorb 88% of the damage it deals on each target but don't underestimate the healing it can do. As you start getting more gear at the level cap you'll start seeing AD return around 1.2k-1.4k hp per target and that can make large pulls a lot easier to manage on DRK considering that the class is pretty light on mitigation CDs compared to WAR and PLD. Once you hit 70 DAAD and TBN will be your bread and butter for mitigating larger pulls and you'll find yourself loving Quietus a lot on trash.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Meldonox posted:

Really though, I don't know why anyone who dislikes the story plays a game that's so centered in it.

How exactly is it centered in it? Story plays no role in most things you do in the game between major patches. In fact this game is less story-focused than most for how many detached side activities it has. I don't like the story (or rather I just don't care about it) but I still love the game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
How should I be carding? As it stands now, if there's a BLM I give them the dmg buff, mp buff if I'm good, and crit buff, and the spellcast/movecast buff I give to the other dps. If there's no blm I randomly distribute, and the tank always gets the def buff.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

How should I be carding?

Short version: Balance and arrow are both good on your DPS, Spear is usually Royal Road fodder but can be good on Bards, Bole usually gets Royal Roaded but might be worth using if you know a tank is going to get smacked with something nasty or if you're having trouble keeping them up. RR Spire unless your party is doing a big AOE pull and the melee DPS is out of TP, Ewer is usually Royal Road unless you, the other healer, or a SMN/RDM is out of MP: never use it on BLMs or DRKs.

Also, I mentioned that the WoL doesn't solo everything in chat and some people said that they totally do in the Japanese text. Although that still seems weird to me, since they'd have you by yourself in dungeon/raid cutscenes then. :shrug:

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I finished Labyrinth of the Ancients, these Allagans sent a loving moon into space but they can't make a spaceship?