Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
What in the ever loving gently caress.

I'm super lactose intolerant and my boyfriend goes out of his way to make sure I don't get hit with surprise dairy. Its 60% because he loves me and hates seeing me writhe in discomfort and 40% because my cheese farts are borderline WMDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

My (25F) boyfriend (24M) doesn't understand I'm lactose intolerant and then gets mad at me! Duration: 9 months

Make a deal with this guy: You eat an amount of lactose laden food he recognizes as significant, but then you get to poo poo on his face when the inevitable mudslide comes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bamabalacha posted:

What in the ever loving gently caress.

I'm super lactose intolerant and my boyfriend goes out of his way to make sure I don't get hit with surprise dairy. Its 60% because he loves me and hates seeing me writhe in discomfort and 40% because my cheese farts are borderline WMDs.

Maybe that guy has a lactose fart fetish? :shrug:

I (17f) feel sick at how emotionally difficult my relationship with my boyfriend (26m) is and I don't know what to

quote:

Hey everyone, I've posted here in the past about this same relationship, and I just don't know what to do anymore, I'm already a really emotional person and this is so confusing and frustrating for me.

I've been with my boyfriend for 2 months, things were amazing at first, he's crazy about me, adores me and I adore him. He really emotionally rushed things from the start and it seemed he was very serious. He's loving, affectionate and sweet but the last couple weeks have been horribly confusing and I just feel sad because of it I don't know what to do with myself.

He said something a while back that really turned everything upside down, it made me question everything. He apologized and it took me a while for things to go back to normal but because he's so caring, affectionate, loving and I really missed him, I decided not to let what we had go.

Now, I'm really insecure in relationships and it wasn't bad before at all, but lately I've been feeling really up and down. He mentioned that in the future there's a small possibility he might even have to move far away.

I was feeling really overwhelmed with emotion and the other day I just started randomly crying and he started comforting me and I told him it was because I liked him so much and I didn't want to lose him. It's his reaction that's made me so upset.

He got so upset at me, he told me that me being this way is causing him stress, that I'm being immature and he needs to be with an adult, that he can't keep reassuring his feelings for me, he didn't know how he felt, if he left I'd have to get over it. It broke my heart, again. But I knew he was feeling pain so I didn't get mad.

Just an hour later when we went to bed he apologized and said he was just being an rear end in a top hat and to completely forget he said everything and he was so unbelievably loving the rest of the night and now things are back to normal. He was sorry that he said he's worried now I feel like I can't cry around him.

Now all I can think about is, this guy was okay with letting someone he supposedly loves go that easily just because of that.

I know he's feeling a lot of emotional turmoil in his life right now, but how do you go from adoring someone to all of a sudden backing out and then changing your mind. I don't know what to do :( He does so to be with me, this isn't a casual thing, I really feel emotionally attached to him :/ which is why it's so hard for me. I resent he told me he loved me like the second date, it gave me all these hopes that he's some perfect loving guy that would never hurt me.

Tl;dr boyfriend is causing my emotions to constantly go up and down and I don't know how to feel because now I'm scared to ask

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Haifisch posted:

My (25F) boyfriend (24M) doesn't understand I'm lactose intolerant and then gets mad at me! Duration: 9 months

How to handle this?

Every time he ignores your warning and demands you eat dairy do so and poo poo in his bed, car, wardrobe, or upper deck his toilet.

Admiral Ray posted:

Make a deal with this guy: You eat an amount of lactose laden food he recognizes as significant, but then you get to poo poo on his face when the inevitable mudslide comes.

:hfive:

edit:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe that guy has a lactose fart fetish? :shrug:

I (17f) feel sick at how emotionally difficult my relationship with my boyfriend (26m) is and I don't know what to

He needs to not get into relationships with people for whom two months is a sizable fraction of their lifespan ya dumbass.

She needs to grow up (literally).

Outrail fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 11, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It keeps happening!

My [M 30s] wife [F 20s] put an ingredient she knows I can't eat into a soup today.

quote:

Sort of unsure as to how to approach this.

I've had GERD and LPR (chronic acid reflux due to hypotensive LES) for over 3 years. I've got one more test to complete before being eligible for surgery. In the meantime, I've been trying my very best to manage this horrible condition with lifestyle and diet modifications.

There are three main things I can't consume: tomatoes, garlic, and lemon. My symptoms go crazy if I eat any amount of these.

I genuinely respect my wife for putting up with my tomato and garlic free cooking and appreciate that she tries to keep it in mind if she's cooking for all of us (our son included). Often she'll make something for herself that includes garlic and/or tomatoes, so I don't feel so bad.

In any case, I have been managing quite well by eliminating these ingredients, so it's frustrating if I ever do have a bad flare up, like I am currently. So, just a few minutes ago I told my wife that my reflux hasn't been this bad in a long time. After another minute or so she said "oh, it is probably that garlic I put in the soup".

I'm not being a sook, nor as reddit likes to say "butt hurt". I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm curious as to what others would do in my shoes. Cheers.

EDIT: I asked her why she did it. She admitted that she believes people are "psychologically influenced by what they know/don't know about what they eat". She apologized and said she felt bad. I'm a bit shook, but otherwise fine, and the flare up symptoms (burning, mucus, regurgitation, and aspiration through right ear) have dissipated after having skipped supper and taken some extra Gaviscon Advance. Thanks for your concerns!

tl;dr: My wife put garlic in a soup she made. She knows I can't eat garlic.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

Dump your loser fiance and start dating the bartender.

really who wouldn't be down with their SO flashing for drinks and getting deets for a hookup, what a prude

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Admiral Ray posted:

Dump your loser fiance and start dating the bartender.

yeah not wanting your fiancee to flirt with other guys makes you such a loser

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

I've dated some people with lactose intolerance and they just take these miracle pills before a night out with mixed company and all is good. Is that just not an option that works for everyone? Obv it's weird this dude that doesn't understand the problem but to my laymen knowledge it's just lacking some enzymes you can get in milk/pill form rather than like a peanut allergy or something.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ArbitraryC posted:

I've dated some people with lactose intolerance and they just take these miracle pills before a night out with mixed company and all is good. Is that just not an option that works for everyone? Obv it's weird this dude that doesn't understand the problem but to my laymen knowledge it's just lacking some enzymes you can get in milk/pill form rather than like a peanut allergy or something.

quote:

Dale always takes this as a personal hit to something he likes or make. For our 6 months together, he invited me over for dinner. He cooked it all his self, but when it came time for dessert, he had made homemade ice cream. I told him I appreciated his effort in making the ice cream, but told him that he hadn't made it for lactose people or given me notice to take my pill that gives me a grace period with less gas. The pills don't always help, they just prevent bathroom emergencies, but I still get gassy and bloated and a general sick feelings. Me rejecting his ice cream struck a fight and he asked me to leave. The next day, he texted me saying he over reacted.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

ArbitraryC posted:

The pills mitigate it, mostly, about 75% of the time. But I still get a bit of cramps and doom farts if I eat a full piece of cheesecake, regardless of how much Lactaid I took.

And it sucks because I loving love cheesecake.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It keeps happening!

My [M 30s] wife [F 20s] put an ingredient she knows I can't eat into a soup today.

too bad we won't get an update when she escalates to stakes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It keeps happening!

Make her some soup. When she starts throwing up tell her "Oh, it is probably that Ipecac syrup I put in the soup, I didn't think it would matter since you didn't know and you're only psychologically influenced by what you know/don't know about what you eat. Weird huh?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

too bad we won't get an update when she escalates to stakes

"Hello reddit. I'm a vampire and"

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Outrail posted:

The answer is to cook a single meal until they cave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHCzfDib_2M

Bamabalacha posted:

The pills mitigate it, mostly, about 75% of the time. But I still get a bit of cramps and doom farts if I eat a full piece of cheesecake, regardless of how much Lactaid I took.

Don't take Lactaid, take these

https://www.amazon.com/Digestive-Advantage-Lactose-Defense-Capsules/dp/B001G7QGCM

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Admiral Ray posted:

no don't give in to his long game

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My partner (31M) is lactose intolerant and still eat regular products on occasion. I (29F) don't know what to do about it

quote:

Hey r/relationships. Okay so. Basic information: "Bob" and I have been together for almost 3 years, lived together for 1. I have a daughter ("Sunny", 8) from a previous relationship. So here's the thing. "Bob" developed lactose intolerance in his mid-20s, and now he can barely glance sideways at a chocolate bar before he has a reaction.

My biggest annoyance in regards to this one is that he doesn't steer clear of it and go for the lactose free options, and he has a weakness for chocolate. "It's so worth it", he'll sayas he noms it, until the intolerance kicks him in the gut, and there's 2-3 days of complaining about being bloated, gassy, having an upset stomach (both of which smells like something crawled up his rear end and died), and breaking out worse than a pubescent boy. He's an adult, so he can make his own choices however dumb I find them, and I'm also not the food-police. I don't give him any sympathy though, and complaints are usually met with, "Cause and effect, babe".

I once asked him why he keeps eating dairy when he knows how he'll feel after, and he said he doesn't like how lactose free options taste. He also has a complicated relationship with food in general and isn't too good at moderating his intake, and he's an emotional eater.

It gets more complicated still: Sunny developed lactose intolerance around 2, although hers is milder than Bob's (I know that cause kindergarten got some wires crossed when she transferred to a group for older kids, so she had regular milk for lunch and didn't react before she got both milk and yoghurt on the same day).

I'm the one who do most of the cooking, so I'm also the one who does the shopping. Which is to say I plan the week, place the order online and we get it delivered. Because I live with two people who will explode if they eat anything lactose, I don't buy anything they can't eat. I adjusted my own diet when Sunny developed her intolerance, so I don't buy different products for myself. So... if regular chocolate makes its way into the house, Bob's the culprit.

I'm a little tired of the eternal circle that repeats itself a couple of times a month. He eats something he knows is bad for him, 2-3 days of discomfort and a house with a funky smell, he recovers and claims "it wasn't that bad", rinse and repeat. Adding to that I'm just so flabbergasted that an otherwise rational and intelligent person has such a huge blind spot for how dumb he's being with himself, and how he's risking something like IBS by keeping this up.

Is there any way I can reach through to him to make him accept and embrace the fact he's lactose intolerant? I haven't interfered beyond reminding him it's a bad idea because I don't think what he puts in his mouth is any of my business, but should I step in on this? Would I be way out of line if I threw out anything that contains lactose if he buys it?

tl;dr: Partner and daughter are both lactose intolerant, so I only buy lactose free products. Partner some times buy regular chocolate for himself and suffers the side-effects, the minimises how bad it is and repeats the process. I'm reluctant to interfere with what he eats, but I'm at my wits end.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Bamabalacha posted:

Yeah thanks, I honestly didn't mean to be presumptuous I was just under the general impression that lactose intolerance was mostly a gut flora enzyme thing that could be conquered if someone regularly took pills/started the day with that lactose milk, I've never known someone who did one or the other but still had issues. My friends/family probably just had minor cases.

i still think the dude was insensitive it just came across a bit weird to me cause the people I've lived with that had that issue basically just took their enzymes consistently and it wasn't something anyone else had to plan around.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

La Brea Carpet posted:

I'm pregnant and my boyfriend forgot my birthday

:smith:

All her other posts are deleted, which is a shame because they're real doozies. Such as 'we're expecting a baby and my BF spends $600 on soda and cigarettes' and 'I hope my baby is stillborn'.

All (non OP) parties sound horrible, and given the comments she's made, it sounds like a messed up home life growing up led her to roll over repeatedly to pressure/emotional bullying rather than telling all other parties to gently caress off while she makes decisions on what's best for her/the baby.

Is it still legal to safely surrender a baby at like, a fire house or church?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 11, 2017

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yep

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

All her other posts are deleted, which is a shame because they're real doozies. Such as 'we're expecting a baby and my BF spends $600 on soda and cigarettes' and 'I hope my baby is stillborn'.

All (non OP) parties sound horrible, and given the comments she's made, it sounds like a messed up home life growing up led her to roll over repeatedly to pressure/emotional bullying rather than telling all other parties to gently caress off while she makes decisions on what's best for her/the baby.

I mean there's no cameras. You can do anything you want when there's no cameras- you technically haven't done anything illegal until charged, tried, and convicted.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Haifisch posted:

My partner (31M) is lactose intolerant and still eat regular products on occasion. I (29F) don't know what to do about it

Buy him rice milk chocolate, it's the best. If he doesn't like that, :sever:, there's clearly something wrong with his taste buds.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

pidan posted:

Buy him rice milk chocolate, it's the best. If he doesn't like that, :sever:, there's clearly something wrong with his taste buds.

Is it "the best" like turkey bacon or like, even if you can have regular chocolate you should still try this?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Beachcomber posted:

Is it "the best" like turkey bacon or like, even if you can have regular chocolate you should still try this?

Rice milk chocolate genuinely tastes great.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I also eat regular milk chocolate and I love the rice stuff. I'm from a country where rice based sweets are reasonably popular though, ymmv if you're not used to the combo.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I am genuinely shocked by how many posts are about easily solvable household issues. People act like they're prisoners in the home, forced to eat things they don't like if their partner makes it. My gf doesn't always like the stuff I make, but she texts me "wat u make tonite" or something and if it dont sound good she goes to sprouts and gets something to cook for herself. But usually its not a big deal because we dont build in these weird power struggles when it comes to what we eat after work, which according to reddit causes 90% of relationship issues.

Its really depressing how many people post about these business relationships that have a veneer of romanticism. If you're 22 and in a four year relationship in which you cannot tell your "life partner" that they have smelly shoes or whatever bs an r/relationships post can come up with, I feel really bad. I've had some blowout fights with my gf so its not pefect but I've never described her like some interesting stranger like in half of these posts.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I wonder how much of that(at least on the 'my partner is confused at the concept of not always eating the same thing I do/having to participate equally in basic chores' end) is people going directly from living with their parents to living with their partner?

I mean, I get it, incomes are low and the rent is too damned high, but it seems like a lot of people would benefit from at least doing the roommate thing for a few years before moving in with an SO. Learn to be an independent adult so your partner doesn't have to become a substitute parent.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6zewgl/my_34m_wife_31f_of_4_yrs_wants_me_to_abuse_her/

quote:

My wife and I have had discussions in which she tells me I'm not controlling enough. After drilling down and figuring out what she means exactly by “controlling” I found that she wants me to hit her. I mistook that for slapping and choking mostly for her sexual gratification. I agreed to be more controlling to make her happy.

Over time, things escalated. She started telling me that she wants to be scared of me and that she needs me to control every aspect of her. Again, I tell her “sure” and she began to test me. She started doing things to see how I would react. If she came home late from a gathering with friends or mouthed off during the day and I didn’t slap her or man- handle her, then I wasn’t being controlling enough. So, I “manned-up” and complied. Every indiscretion was swiftly followed by a slap across the face or being choked up against a wall until she apologized and swore not to “do it again”.

This has gone on for some time. Recently, she “tested” me and I followed up in typical fashion, a few slaps and enough choking to make her feel like she had been properly “punished” but then the conversation came up again: I wasn’t controlling enough, she needs to be more afraid of me so that she wouldn’t “gently caress up again”. She wants me to move beyond just slapping and choking and actually start abusing her. She said that out of her own mouth. “I need you to abuse me. I want you to take pu**y from me. I want you to punch me and throw me around. I need to be scared of you”.

Now, I realized that I’ve misunderstood this whole thing this whole time. I believed that she needed me to hit her just to get off. She has suffered abuse in the past at the hands of both her mother while growing up and from men who used to beat her in previous relationships. It’s what she’s used to.

I grew up hearing my father beat on my mother and I’ve heard horror stories of my wife’s past relationships and vowed never to be that guy.

Now, I’m in a position where I have to make a decision. Do I become that guy and beat my wife like she’s begging me to or do I be the man I am and refuse? I’ve thus far indulged her in what I once believed to be an S&M fetish of some sort and that’s fine, but now it’s gone beyond that. It’s almost like she requires this abuse to function day to day and feel normal. I love my wife and I don’t want to make her a punching bag like she’s asking me to, not to mention, we have children and I don’t want them to ever have to hear or bear witness to the types of things that my wife and I had to experience growing up in abusive households.

I’m torn. What should I do?.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Yikes

edit: get her into therapy. tell her you'll kick her rear end if she doesn't go

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 11, 2017

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

tactlessbastard posted:

tell her you'll kick her rear end if she doesn't go

this is what she wants you dope

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
[WA] The HOA is blatantly refusing to enforce their CC&R when it comes to certain people, a large mural of a Nazi flag for example.

quote:

Alright, a little background, as the title mentions, I live in a suburb in Washington. What really started this issue in earnest for me was about a week and a half ago when someone who lives a few blocks from me in my neighborhood decided to have a large Nazi flag painted on the entirety garage door, the black, white, and red kind. I know it sounds really quite absurd, and it is, and I'd be willing to provide pictures. It's very clear what it is supposed to be, even though it seems to be professionally done, obviously it is still very offensive, and sticks out every time I drive past it on my way home from work.

This is not the first time I've noticed people putting up, "Decorations" that I was lead to understand the HOA would obviously not allow. Neo Nazis have been trickling into the Pacific Northwest, including Washington for years now. Mainly they've stuck to the rural areas and steered clear of everywhere else, but now they've been trickling into my area as well. I know of a few other instances of decorations, and I know of other Nazi fucks in the area.

I have reviewed the CC&R and as I suspected, something like this would have to be approved, otherwise it would be unauthorized and would provoke recurring fines and such. I was skeptical that Mr. Hitler and his buddies bothered to get it approved. I tried to go through the normal channels, but it ended up that I had to not only call the office of the HOA, but also request a meeting with their board of directors. I made it clear that I wanted an explanation on the mural, and other things I saw. I made sure to document it with dates, pictures, citations, etc.

Long story short, it turns out they actually did get their, "Treatments" approved by the Homeowner's Assoc. and therefore it is technically compliant with covenants. What followed was a somewhat passive aggressive rest of the meeting towards me, insisting that I let the matter go and that they were nice enough to take time off their day and so on and so forth. Obviously I won't get any help from them.

What other options do I have? Obviously this is the kind of situation HOAs are meant to remedy, and if they're not doing their job, that means property values are only going to plummet, and this whole place is going to look like Wolfenstein: The New Order soon. I'm open to any suggestions or information you can give me.

Rarely do we see "HOAs are a bunch of Nazis" meant this literally

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Buzkashi posted:

this is what she wants you dope

I was being facetious

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Danaru posted:

[WA] The HOA is blatantly refusing to enforce their CC&R when it comes to certain people, a large mural of a Nazi flag for example.

Rarely do we see "HOAs are a bunch of Nazis" meant this literally

Is there any law in the US against actual Nazi flags? Because as lovely as it is that someone thinks this is a cool and good thing to put on their house I don't know that this guy can do anything other than move.

Or paint an image of an interracial orgy on his own garage door.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Obviously there's no law against that per se.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Not necessarily obvious to those of us who don't live there. Some countries definitely have laws against decorating your house like a discount Reichstag circa 1938.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Are you telling me literal Nazis aren't considered a hate group/terrorist organization etc? Are there no hate crime laws?seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you people?

Also, this sort of poo poo is why antifa exists. It's also why I'm moving from 'antifa are a bunch of rebellious hipsters who swung hard' to 'uh maybe we actually need poo poo like antifa'.

Either way, rounding up the neighbors and having a lynching party should be a accepted conflict resolution.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

Is there any law in the US against actual Nazi flags? Because as lovely as it is that someone thinks this is a cool and good thing to put on their house I don't know that this guy can do anything other than move.

Or paint an image of an interracial orgy on his own garage door.

Theoretically he may be able to sue the HOA, depending on what's in the covenant agreements. There are a number of ways he could argue that the HOA has failed its duties by approving a Nazi flag mural--the entire reason they have an HOA is to maintain the aesthetic value of the neighborhood and keep residents from turning their homes into eyesores, which Nazi garage would definitely qualify as.

Whether it would actually be worth it is another story.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I feel bad for the realtor who tries to sell the home across the street from Nazi House.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Straight White Shark posted:

Theoretically he may be able to sue the HOA, depending on what's in the covenant agreements. There are a number of ways he could argue that the HOA has failed its duties by approving a Nazi flag mural--the entire reason they have an HOA is to maintain the aesthetic value of the neighborhood and keep residents from turning their homes into eyesores, which Nazi garage would definitely qualify as.

Whether it would actually be worth it is another story.

Making Nazis suffer is always worth it.

Ideally he could get the local DSA together and burn the place to the ground, but you work with what you got.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Panfilo posted:

I feel bad for the realtor who tries to sell the home across the street from Nazi House.

Or the one who has to sell the loving Nazi house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm pretty sure you can put up a literal ISIL flag in front of your house and it's not against the law in the US. Might get you put on a watch list but you can do it in principle.