Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

HycoCam posted:

Counter-point: The doggie is sitting in grass with no leash. Invisible fence? Not many people live in areas where you can free-range your dogs.

Please explain? You can setup an invisible fence so your dog get's an electroshock if he steps over it or what? I am quite sure I am misunderstanding this. If I'm at a place where I can't let my dog roam free, I use a leash tied to something, with an elastic "last two feet" so he feels the leash getting heavier to pull when he reashes the end of his allowed range instead of beeing zapped. Mind you, I know people around here who also use shock collars with their dogs, I'm just not a big fan of them because everytime I see them in use, it's the same: the dog has no chance of predicting what is to come, while a leash getting harder and harder to pull....he understands that very soon. But I'm quite sure I completely miss your point at the moment, and I don't mean that in an angry tone. I'm rather new to dogs, since I actually have cats and only recently had to care about the dog of my parents due to their illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My crazy uncle used to hook his Land Rover up to electric fences with jump cables when we went camping and sat laughing as he asked people to 'go grab my torch from the Land Rover' and they got zapped

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I actually loving called it.

MedicineHut posted:

Anyone that thinks CR may get away with releasing the game under "Early Access"?

I mean, he could claim SC is released while at the same time promising to "continuously develop" it, brown sea would still have access to the "still in Early Access" excuse we have now with alpha, and most importantly no official critic reviews.

And the game can stay in early access for ever, no questions asked.

Best of all worlds.

e: It would also fit in very nicely with the excuses given by Will Leverett around the 5-10 system fiasco that the answer CR gave was about when they were "ready to share with a larger audience" (paraphrase).

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Eurogamer were waiting for the hurricane to hit Florida so Derek couldn't tweet about it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Latin Pheonix posted:

Well, I was considering the possibility that CR is trying to sneak the S42 IP from under Coutts or somehow trying to separate the SC IP from F42 (good luck with that, given how they share assets, the universe, story, etc., see my effortpost). I took a quick glance at the loan agreement again and it says (paraphrased) that the Chargor (F42) will not assign or charge any of the rights that the Chargee (Coutts) is entitled to. Basically, it means that the IP that F42 have given as collateral can't be sold off because they're holding it in trust for Coutts.

If CR came up with some new IP not connected with S42 (any possibly SC) that he wanted to protect then there would be no issue with him assigning it to the new shell company as Coutts have no right to it.

That said, if (like I think you're suggesting, correct me if I'm wrong), CR thinks he can make a new IP based off of SC, then things get blurry.

Let me give an example; let's say that CR, in his infinite originality, comes up with a card game based off SC/F42. CR doesn't want the IP rights of his new card game "Star Cardigan" to rest in Foundry 42 because, if they go bankrupt, the IP rights might be assigned to Coutts because of their floating charge (not sure how floating charges work with IP rights, if Loxbourne wants to correct me I freely admit this is a bit beyond my depth). Because of this, CR sets up his new 'CIG Rights' company and assigns the Star Cardigan rights to that company instead, away from Coutts' claws.

This all seems fine and dandy, right? Well, not really, because what about the artwork CR will want to use? If he wants to have a Hornet card, then he'll be using the image/design rights of the Hornet itself and literary rights of the 'story' behind the Hornet (to name a couple). Who owns these rights? Weeeellll, this is speculation, but my guess would be F42, seeing as how the Hornet is central to the S42 IP.

So yeah, you can see how messy it is, the IPs, because they're based off the same ships/universe, are inevitably intertwined. Coutts' loan agreement allows F42 to use assets as needed in their course of business, so this would be no issue so long as F42 is still solvent. If, however, F42 goes insolvent (as the theory is going), then the IP would belong to Coutts, and regardless of whether Coutts holds on to the IP rights (unlikely) or sells them (likely), whoever ends up owning the IP (assuming it's not CIG) now owns the rights that Star Cardigan is using.

In this situation, anyone who owns the copyright would almost certainly immediately block any further use of their IP, so all the images and story used in Star Cardigan would no longer be of use because they would belong to someone else. Sure, the company owning the IP might be willing to sell or license these rights back to CIG Rights (for at least the price they paid for it, if not more), but they definitely wouldn't let a breach of their copyright go unchallenged.

Basically it's a massive can of worms that would be a total nightmare to unravel (or dream, if you're into that kind of stuff) :shobon:

Close, but I still appreciated reading your views. :)

What I meant was that he (CR) thinks he is some kind of idea generating wonderkind who thinks he has a Midas touch. Star Citizen is just one of his many ideas, and he just used this company to house other ideas he can take his "code" to and start developing, or think he can auction off to a bank.

I'm not even certain what the SC IP actually is beyond:

1: The SC logo itself
2: The scammy behavior
3: Maybe the Hornet ship

Everything else basically looks like background artwork for any of science fiction environments.

You can immediately tell a Star Wars/Trek uniform or soldier for example. In SC it looks like vehicles stolen from Halo and marines also stolen from Halo, but you can't look at a guy and say "looks like Star Citizen!" Most of the characters we've seen look like something out of the 1940-1960s era.

I don't think CR is going to try to steal anything from the SC IP, because he knows how hideously generic it is. People aren't invested in the theme of SC, they're invested in the dream of SC.

That's why the IP itself is flexible and valueless. It's value is entirely dependent upon the guy making all the promises. If he sells off SC and says "Hey guys I'm now making Wing Citizen, like SC and Wing Commander only this time I totally learned my mistakes, and it'll be huge!" People will drop SC like a broken glass and flock to Wing Citizen, which is a totally new IP set in a generic WW2 in space system.

Coutts bought poo poo, buying into it thinking the IP had this $150+ million value, without realizing it's the promises this guy made that people believe that give it any value at all. All I can hope is that Coutts didn't give them much for it.

CR could lose the SC IP and keep on trucking with new generic sci fi space poo poo and nobody would care.

Even from that twitter picture a bit ago from clothes concept art, it looked like anything from Renaissance to 1990's grunge. There's no theme, there's nothing that makes it unique.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

alphabettitouretti posted:

Eurogamer were waiting for the hurricane to hit Florida so Derek couldn't tweet about it.

Little did they know the hurricane was caused by derek's tweeting fingers creating a vortex

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

peter gabriel posted:

My crazy uncle used to hook his Land Rover up to electric fences with jump cables when we went camping and sat laughing as he asked people to 'go grab my torch from the Land Rover' and they got zapped

Is this why you're so angry all the time

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Maw posted:

Is this why you're so angry all the time

One of the reasons yes.
I cannot forgive nor forget

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

One of the reasons yes.

BZZZZT

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:stare:

my ptsd

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The data CR has: its poo poo and broken and what is asked is impossible to do

The schedule CR wrote: it's all due in two weeks

So clearly nothing is wrong and it'll happen in 2 weeks because that's the deadline. If it doesn't, well those programmers are terrible and probably need to be fired and replaced with quality Chinese developers.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

And also the the poop mechanics.

If Star Citizen has enough poop mechanics do you think they can fix that poo poo?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Powers out, waters out, my tree exploded. But everyone's ok

I'm glad you are all ok. :)

I hope your road to recovery will be fast.

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

AP posted:

STEALING SOMEONE'S SHIP (ACTUAL THEFT)

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Climb aboard, sit in the right cockpit chair and fly off.

ACTUAL RESULT
It has come to my attention on another forum, that part of the game, or gameplay, may include the theft of your ship.

EXPECTED RESULT
In Star Citizen, we BACKERS paid REAL MONEY to back this game in the purchase of these ships. Given it is now possible to do this in SC (admittedly no actual loss or damage can be done), I don't appreciate the fact that someone CAN DO THIS with my PROPERTY and CONTRIBUTION to SC's development. Even if there is no short term damage, other than someone waiting in the wing for a ship owner to climb aboard my ship, during my gameplay, and just walk off with my experience for their own, is just not right. To this end, I would ask that you take this as a bug, and implement a fix, like cyberlocking your ship with a code, to prevent what will certainly be a controversial issue in the future of SC. As well, I have posted the following on another popular space simulation site.

---
In Star Citizen, it is possible to steal someone's ship which cost REAL money, and it was an oversight or exploit not seen or considered Roberts Space Industries, but it was not ever intended to be a part of the game. Although it is something than CAN be done in SC, as it is an Alpha build and I doubt it will be allowed to continue. Bugs have been filed because of it, and most would find it an immoral act purely because there are REAL dollars involved. Those REAL dollars in SC were put there by those BACKERS wanting a massive space experience, and IS NOT there for someone to STEAL, however fun, funny, or exciting you may think it is. I am a significant backer in SC, and I can guarantee you, I would not think it moral, fun, funny or exciting if someone STOLE my paid for property put there in earnest to build a game I wanted.

If it shows up in Elite Dangerous. I will ask Frontier for a full refund. I backed this game for fun, not to have someone fixated on stealing, try to convince anyone here this is acceptable behaviour.

Gameplay does not need to parallel life, and just because you have real life examples, true as they may be, makes it no more palatable, reasonable or acceptable.

It's not my lifestyle, nor is it something I find acceptable, even if it is considered gameplay.

Be well.
---

If you value my participation as a contributor to SC, now and in the future, you will give this bug serious consideration.

(and yes, SC gave me a sidearm, and I guess I could have just SHOT THE GUY, but hell, I'm not a murderer.

Be well.

Hahahahahahahaha

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

anime is good, visual novels are the future

Looking forward to the Star Citizen: The Documentary: The Game as it will have more gameplay and fun and colorful characters than the game it's based on.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

tuo posted:

Please explain? You can setup an invisible fence so your dog get's an electroshock if he steps over it or what? I am quite sure I am misunderstanding this. If I'm at a place where I can't let my dog roam free, I use a leash tied to something, with an elastic "last two feet" so he feels the leash getting heavier to pull when he reashes the end of his allowed range instead of beeing zapped. Mind you, I know people around here who also use shock collars with their dogs, I'm just not a big fan of them because everytime I see them in use, it's the same: the dog has no chance of predicting what is to come, while a leash getting harder and harder to pull....he understands that very soon. But I'm quite sure I completely miss your point at the moment, and I don't mean that in an angry tone. I'm rather new to dogs, since I actually have cats and only recently had to care about the dog of my parents due to their illness.

https://www.invisiblefence.com/

You bury a wire around your property perimeter and place little white flags a bit inside the wire. It takes most dogs about 15 minutes to figure out what is up. As they get close to the wire, the collar beeps. As they get even closer a shock gets delivered that increases in intensity. Most dogs get zapped once or twice and figure out exactly what is up. My sister rescued an extremely protective great dane/pit bull mix. The dog is awesome, unless you are a male with a beard (and if you are smoking a cigarette--loving run!)--anyhow it only took a few times of her kids opening the door at the wrong time and him charging the UPS man before she got in trouble. The fence does any amazing job keeping him contained.

But they don't work for all dogs. I had a border collie that was so fast, if he saw an animal on the other side he was through the fence in a heartbeat. Only to then get stuck on the outside. A golden was smart enough to sit right on the line and have the collar beep for 8+ hours until the $6 battery died and would then do whatever it wanted. If you live in area where your dog needs to be contained, the best fencing is a combination of a real fence and the invisible fence. With all that said, my dogs now live a pretty darn good life and have an electric collar that only controls a dog door--meaning they come and go when they like.

Oh and pro-tip. If your dog gets out of the fence, you are going to need to take the collar off the dog to get him back inside. Be careful how you hold that collar when you cross the fence.

e: who's a good boy!

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 11, 2017

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016
When Derek isnt around i dont know what to think about that article :(

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

crisp roberts posted:

When Derek isnt around i dont know what to think about that article :(

Star Citizen is really good, keep thinking that while donation money!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

wow he wrote down what cribbers said

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

TheGodofIris posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

Haha I can't wait til CIG figure out what they're actually doing with ship theft and locking and what happens to your ship when you log off and and and etc, there's no way it's not going to piss off the backers no matter what plans they reveal

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

I'm amazed people havn't worked it out yet.

FD gets the rights to make a real moviegame.

CIG makes another shell for rights.

They're not selling poo poo. Who would buy? The game, tech, everything is derivitive at best, but mostly just plain broken. The only thing they have of value is a list of delusional idiots willing to give away their life savings.

Perhaps the new company will license out the list of TrueIdiot™ backers to other companies? :shrug:

The Titanic posted:

So I've been playing the new mass effect game while I'm waiting for Star Citizen to save console gaming.

I've enjoyed mass effect, but for some reason in this one I find myself:

1: Skipping all dialog constantly until all the talk options are greyed out signaling I'm done.

2: Not talking to characters because I don't want another poo poo tier side quest to burden me down with something stupid and pointless.

3: Have no idea what the point of research and crafting is when I seem to have guns and junk I find better than stuff I can craft.

4: Literally no idea how to do crafting and know what's better than another thing.

5: Not even sure what the story line is anymore with Aliens and whatever and just kind of blah.

6: Super happy when I run into alien marines in an alien world and everything looks like Mass Effect buildings complete with English bar codes and all the aliens are using N7 weapons in cutscenes.

It's an odd experience, to be sure. It just felt like Dragon Age: Inquisition in space to me, a giant open world collectathon dressed up in the worn-out clothes of the old series.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Maw posted:

Haha I can't wait til CIG figure out what they're actually doing with ship theft and locking and what happens to your ship when you log off and and and etc, there's no way it's not going to piss off the backers no matter what plans they reveal

Theorycrafting is as far as that mechanic is ever going to make it--there will never be an locking of ships, Lifetime Insurance mechanics, or buying ships in game. Seven years in and there isn't cargo. Heck--there is zero in the way of game mechanics.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Maw posted:

Same with every single gameplay mechanic. People will lose their minds at each and every one and I can't wait

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I love his incessant need to have to defend himself from the haters, and in the process steps in his own poo poo and smears it everywhere. Time's almost up, but you called me out on my bullshit so I'm going to have a mini meltdown over it.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Crobblers posted:

Most of our stuff is related to the ships you have, and dollar to the actual in-game cost, the money cost is significantly less than the in-game cost.

:laffo:

If it ever came out this game would be an endless grind or a gold farmers dream

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i thought if someone zaps you that's an invitation to kick em in the balls

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quavers posted:

Eurogamer have help back from publishing the article, I wonder why?

This is pretty normal with CMS pages. You start an article, work on it, have it edited. Then when ready you publish it.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Maw posted:

:laffo:

If it ever came out this game would be an endless grind or a gold farmers dream

Run one half hour mission & get enough credits to buy 12 shoulder-mounted railguns capable of one-shotting a ship, or instead run the mission ten times & buy the one-shottable ship yourself!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thoatse posted:

If Star Citizen has enough poop mechanics do you think they can fix that poo poo?

Yeah, if they refactor the pipelines.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
has anyone said pooplines yet?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

big nipples big life posted:

that thing looks so retarded I bet it owns a javelin

lol

my depression is cured

tuxedomarx posted:

do yall actually talk about anything in here because it's been like ten pages of white noise since i got quote tweeted

Refer to the text underneath my avatar

Ghostlight posted:

posting is not a perk

It is an imperative

Shitposting guarantees shitizenship is worthless

Truga posted:

anime is the best

That's not how you should hold a burger

2/5

All this new stuff coming out is amazing, good job everyone.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

TheAgent posted:

anime is good, visual novels are the future

Thread is good, holy poo poo.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Erenthal posted:

has anyone said pooplines yet?

I think if you look at my July Blog I clearly said it.
my_july_blog

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

One of the reasons yes.

Sorry you feel grief our titanium-skulled commando.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I DONT KNOW WHAT "SETTLES" MEAN IN A LEGAL SENSE BUT I'M SURE GOING TO USE A LOT OF WORDS TO DEMONSTRATE MY TOTAL IGNORANCE WHILE I SMEAR STAR CITIZEN POOP ALL OVER MY FACE

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

The Titanic posted:

Close, but I still appreciated reading your views. :)

What I meant was that he (CR) thinks he is some kind of idea generating wonderkind who thinks he has a Midas touch. Star Citizen is just one of his many ideas, and he just used this company to house other ideas he can take his "code" to and start developing, or think he can auction off to a bank.

I'm not even certain what the SC IP actually is beyond:

1: The SC logo itself
2: The scammy behavior
3: Maybe the Hornet ship

Everything else basically looks like background artwork for any of science fiction environments.

You can immediately tell a Star Wars/Trek uniform or soldier for example. In SC it looks like vehicles stolen from Halo and marines also stolen from Halo, but you can't look at a guy and say "looks like Star Citizen!" Most of the characters we've seen look like something out of the 1940-1960s era.

I don't think CR is going to try to steal anything from the SC IP, because he knows how hideously generic it is. People aren't invested in the theme of SC, they're invested in the dream of SC.

That's why the IP itself is flexible and valueless. It's value is entirely dependent upon the guy making all the promises. If he sells off SC and says "Hey guys I'm now making Wing Citizen, like SC and Wing Commander only this time I totally learned my mistakes, and it'll be huge!" People will drop SC like a broken glass and flock to Wing Citizen, which is a totally new IP set in a generic WW2 in space system.

Coutts bought poo poo, buying into it thinking the IP had this $150+ million value, without realizing it's the promises this guy made that people believe that give it any value at all. All I can hope is that Coutts didn't give them much for it.

CR could lose the SC IP and keep on trucking with new generic sci fi space poo poo and nobody would care.

Even from that twitter picture a bit ago from clothes concept art, it looked like anything from Renaissance to 1990's grunge. There's no theme, there's nothing that makes it unique.

Oh yeah, if that's the case then yeah, I can't imagine there'd be any issue blocking him from using the CIG Rights company to house his new ideas, whether they're actually good ideas would be another matter entirely :cheeky:.

That said, I'll put on my Coutts hat and try to see things from their perspective: The whole IP thing is basically Coutts making sure that either they get their money back or CIG cannot develop the game any further should they fail to pay back the loan. The IP itself might have no artistic or commercial value, but CIG need the IP to continue developing SC/F42. Coutts demanding the game's IP is essentially their way of making sure that CIG don't just default on their loan and keep on merrily developing SC/S42; if they default, they lose the ability to continue working on SC/S42, full-stop. CIG may be able to start up a new game but it would have to be completely new and separate from SC/S42.

To briefly expand on your point about SC's IP; yes it's derivative and not really original (definitely no argument from me there!), but there's a ton of IP buried in it that CIG would need to continue development. As a simple example, each ship would have its own design/sound/literary rights attached to it, including coding as to how it behaves, so there's a bunch of unimaginative but nonetheless vital IP in the project that CIG would need to continue functioning. Even the list of backers would have a form of database right in the UK.

So yeah, CR could just default on the loan, walk away and try to dream up some new IP completely unrelated to SC/S42, but they would not be able to use anything that they worked on for the past 5 years. It also would not be totally unexpected if they made a new, similar game (say 'Solar Commodore'), that whoever holds the IP would sue the crap out of them for breach of said rights if Solar Commodore has somewhat similar aspects to Star Citizen (even if they have no intention of developing Star Citizen).

Also one last thing to highlight: one of the IP rights that CIG currently has (for now) is the literary copyright for all the code they've written; this includes stuff like 64-bit positioning, 'megamap' tech, any dynamic sound code they've written, planetary tech, physics nesting, etc, etc. So if CIG defaults on this loan and the literary copyright of the code goes to Coutts, none of the code would be usable by Crobberts and crew in the future without Coutts' (or whoever they sold it to's) say so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Harbinger73 posted:

In light of the Eurogamer article I've revised my ELE theory. It goes as following (:reddit: version):

1. Pay of the Coutts loan to get their IP rights back as soon as their Tax Rebate comes in.
  2. Transfer the recovered IP rights to Cloud Imperium Rights.
  3. Announce their intent to move to a new phase (Early Access) officially under which they give people advance notice that it's their last chance to refund or be bound by new terms made available at the time of the announcement. (This would likely be acceptable under EU laws and probably in other territories as long as they notify everyone and give them a decent sized window to put in for a refund).
  4. Weather the refund cascade from those not prepared to be bound by the new terms.
  5. Deny all future refunds on the grounds everyone has accepted the new terms and had ample notice and opportunity to get out.
  6. Profit.

It's a tactic I've seen a publisher use before to prevent future refund requests.

Under this scenario with Cloud Imperium Rights now being the sole holder of the IP rights they could charge the parent company a royalty of their choosing (even if that's 100%). This money would then be ring fenced against any challenge under the prior arrangement.

If this is true I really hope authorities loving act before the money is out of reach.