Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Imagine trying to poll goons about the armies they play, and not just making a graph about it, but scheduling time later in your week to make more detailed followup graphs to prove a point.

I didn't think nerding out over a cupola graphs would be one of your triggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hamshot posted:

Could someone concisely state the point Goose Willis is making and why it needed, or what spurred him to make, a survey and statistical analysis to discover space marines are the most popular faction tia.

Oh and to potentially clarify/legitimize/make my opinion superior this is what I play, in order of collecting:

Orks
Khorne Daemons
Renegade Guard
Nurgle Daemons
World Eaters
Word Bearers
Renegade Titans/Knights

Some people are upset because the majority of the thread likes and plays Imperium, and they feel it's a giant circle jerk.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

I didn't think nerding out over a cupola graphs would be one of your triggers

Lol, this poo poo will never die.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I'm really missing the margin of error in this graph. And his methodology probably excludes a lot of demographics. What if there are 200 Chinese goons that play only chaos?

Also: everyone has a space marine army pretty much. It's hard not to with how they are in every starter set. So even people who mainly play chaos are going to register as neutral on that sort of graph. What you'd really want to ask is what armies people mainly play.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
i never would have been able to figure out that most people have some space marines without a survey and associated graph

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Marines are pretty goddamn boring sometimes, but they've been the primary faction of the setting for 30 years, so it's no great revelation that they're popular. If it bugs you that much, play a different game. Jeez.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Of course Marines are gonna loving win, especially when you lump 6 individual factions together (Vanilla Marines, BA, DA, SW, GK, DW).

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It was honestly sort of interesting to hear what everyone plays and if goose willis wants to put a bunch of effort into analyzing his results that's something that should definitely be encouraged.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, I think both sides are being kind of reactionary here. I'm interested in seeing how this graph pans out when analyzed, even if I think there are a million factors more likely than MARINE BIAS.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
For 40k I can field:

Primaris Marines (Loyalist Thousand Sons)
Tau
World Eaters
AdMech (Dark Mechanicus)
Orks (Deathskulls)
Knights Questoris

For 30k I can field:

Mechanicum Taghmata
Mechanicum Ordo Reductor (Unpainted)
World Eaters
Thousand Sons (Traitors, Unpainted)
Knights Questoris

For Sigmar I can field:

Hammers of Sigmar
Blades of Khorne
Clan Pestilins
Rotbringers

I've painted a bunch of my armies and a few are commissions. I like to collect and mess around with more armies than I can reasonably paint myself.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
I'm indifferent about the graph.

While I had approximately 1850 points of tzeentch demons last edition, upon closer inspection that has dropped in points considerably.

As far as my spacemarines go, I started with them and I find myself going back to them frequently. The huge Amount of options means I can simply add to the core troops and take them in any direction I feel like. At a quick estimate, I would have 6k points of imperial fists. With a squad of aggressors on the way, I have no intention of stopping.

TLDR I'm the guy who doesn't get sick of marines

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
For some this data an junk might be a new discussion for them. Maybe not for others but why quash discussion on a loving thread dedicated to its hobby.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

The Bee posted:

Yeah, I think both sides are being kind of reactionary here. I'm interested in seeing how this graph pans out when analyzed, even if I think there are a million factors more likely than MARINE BIAS.

I too have no problem with getting cool graphs and data but I would rather not have people then go all tin foil hat conspiracy theory without actually taking the time to consider the factors behind the data. A previous poster hit the nail on the head when they said the question should have been "What armies do you play often?" and not simply just "what armies do you have?" . I also agree with Zuul that Imperium is so heavily saturated that it's not really a surprise that they have a strong presence in the data.

For the record I play and own:

GSC
Admech
30k/40k Word Bearers
Nurgle Daemons

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
I would actually be very interested in seeing what everyone's primary army is.

In past editions, my primary has been Blood Angels, but Orks and Tyranids are getting most of my attention so far for 8th, since it's been forever since they've been decent.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

The Sisko posted:

I too have no problem with getting cool graphs and data but I would rather not have people then go all tin foil hat conspiracy theory without actually taking the time to consider the factors behind the data. A previous poster hit the nail on the head when they said the question should have been "What armies do you play often?" and not simply just "what armies do you have?" . I also agree with Zuul that Imperium is so heavily saturated that it's not really a surprise that they have a strong presence in the data.

For the record I play and own:

GSC
Admech
30k/40k Word Bearers
Nurgle Daemons

Yeah, agreed. The way this was set up felt kind of like an ambush, but with some methodology touch-ups it could be a really interesting

I currently don't have anything complete, but in order of interest / what materials I have access to. . . .

Death Guard - Probably my favorite models starter-set wise, and the new release is looking like it has a lot of great stuff. Closest to a complete army I have, since starter set + First Strike gives a solid Battalion to work with.
Primaris - Likely the faction I'll actually get around to painting first due to Marines being nice and simple to paint. Second most complete (the First Strike Reivers kinda feel like they'll be just kinda there, but still a Battallion in size overall), and the Redemptor is very tempting.
GSC - Cult is really neat, and lorewise one of my favorite factions. As is just have some troops. Might add an HQ and Tyranid support to make this table-worthy as a personal project once the other two are supplemented a tiny bit. Until then, using a handful of them with the Sabotage mission patrol rules can make neat obstacles for narrative missions if I want to be a little crazy when gaming with friends.
Tau - Bought some Pathfinders to model. Loved it when it was robots, but dronespam seems kinda lame to me.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I primarily play Ad Mech. I very rarely ever play a pure force of anything else - i'll typically ally in Space Marines or others if I ever use them.

I started Ad Mech at the tail end of 7th edition after a 10 year hiatus from 40k. Their design and lore really drew me back in as they were unlike anything else in 40k. The idea of master machines sacrificing willing lambs to gather the all important data was just too good for me to resist.

When I first started playing back in 3rd edition, my first army was Space Wolves. Again, the design of the models and picturing viking warriors in space really drew me in.

Over the years, aside from the stuff I listed before, i've also played: Tau (I liked their play style), Dark Eldar (The models and the background were awesome, as well as the play style) and Blood Angels (Mostly I really liked the idea of a fast moving assault army, and I like painting red).

Armies I've never wanted to play - Eldar (my friend played them and they were too squishy), Tyranids (too many models), Orks (too whimsical), Dark Angels (eh) and Guard (too boring. Sorry all you Guard players).

In the coming years, armies that I may consider playing or want to play at some point: GSC (I love their models and their lore), Ultramarines (because i've never painted a blue army and I like the greco-roman, napoleonic vibe), Dark Eldar again. If I ever decide to do Chaos, it'll probably be Thousand Sons.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 13, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Bee posted:

That take is so mild you'd even get laughed out of a Taco Bell for it, but I agree that Primarchs as Lord of War units have shifted the scale in a direction that most other factions can't exactly hit. At 360 points Bobby can comfortable slot into 1000-point lists in ways that a Knight or Magnus can't, while also centralizing the game in ways that aren't healthy at that point range. As fun as it can be to speculate about how each Primarch would operate, they make the game Herohammer in a way most other factions can't participate in comfortably, if only because those factions don't have 9 super units each waiting in the wings.

Heck, assuming other primarchs hover around Bobby's cost, you could have him, Dorn, and Vulkan basically 3v3ing another army, and that just seems innately weird.

This is pretty much true. What the gently caress do I bring for my Orks to deal with Bobby G?

The answer at this point is MORE BOYS, but that's the answer to pretty much anything.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

cult dilemma. 5 aberrants (3 with picks and 2 with hammers) cost the same as 12 stealers. the picks are 1S (5) and 1AP (-2) better than stealers, and do D3 damage. hammers are S10 and poo poo but hitting on 4s. abberants also have an extra wound (2). stealers get an extra attack (3), re-roll 1s to hit, and do -4AP on 6s to wound. they also have their 5++ and can advance and charge in the same turn.

i think i know the answer, but ive already got a million stealers and the abberants are cool minis. help.

Aberrants can have a role as dedicated tank hunters. Stick 'em in a Truck or Chimera, probably a Chimera since the Abbys don't have guns and will be wasting Open-Topped on the Truck, drive 'em towards your enemy's big tank, pile out, and charge 'em for some S10 D3 mayhem. Are they better than 'Stealers? Not in general, but if you focus 'em on high Toughness targets they can be useful. Especially since 'Stealers really should be used in full twenty bug mobs, which can't fit in your vehicles anyway,.

So sure, get one squad of eight for Tank Hunting, especially if you're going against Guard and know the Big Tanks are coming. But don't get more than that. Genestealers should still be your bread and butter Elite choice.

e:

Broken Record Talk posted:

Honestly these days it's a Guard/Marine hybrid army with split detachments. I guess if it's one or the other I've played more pure Marine armies than pure Guard, but for the most part I'm running "Imperium", often with an Assassin on side as well.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 13, 2017

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Foldio got packed because moving into new house, still managed to paint some mans.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

This is pretty much true. What the gently caress do I bring for my Orks to deal with Bobby G?

The answer at this point is MORE BOYS, but that's the answer to pretty much anything.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
I've got a Tyranid force rotting away in a box somewhere, from when I first started and split the Macragge starter set with a buddy.

Ended up quitting the hobby for eight or so years, now I'm back and exclusively Necrons. Never had any interest in Marines.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Those are some good looking mans. One day, I will be good at edge highlighting.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

goose willis posted:

You know what? Let's have a little survey here.

Respond to this post with all armies that you officially play with, meaning you can field one in a legal match under current rules.

I can field 1500 points of Salamanders that are legal, but would get wiped against most things because they're all Primaris and lack tankbusting.
I could field Enough orks if I got everything assembled, but it'd just be a green tide because I haven't decided what I want for vehicles and am waiting on the Codex.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Uroboros posted:

Foldio got packed because moving into new house, still managed to paint some mans.

drat you guys and your super fine and straight highlights! :argh: These are incredibly good looking by the way.

Here is a cross post of my hamfisted highlights:

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Been working on my boy here, sorry for the tablet images:

I've been trying really hard to keep the lines clean and shade him properly. I was going to paint the silver bits gold to match the rest of the army, but I decided to keep him closer to how he is depicted everywhere else.

Every model is a new challenge.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, you're playing orks. That's kind of how they do it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hencoe posted:

I mean, you're playing orks. That's kind of how they do it.

It absolutely is, but I kind of want to go Kult of Speed if they ever get the goddamn rules printed. Boyz and Bikez 4 Evah. :orks101:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When i first got into hams, i picked up some marines, because my brothers and i would play space hulk on the PC. Blue, yellow and I had red.
I really liked Blood Angels backstory (before they really played them up as actual vampires) about greatness and humanity lost and how they were about getting into close combat.
I think the most I had was a Captain and two Tacs. I tried getting some Death Company but they were metal and expensive and honestly, a bit too skinny for my liking.
I then started Eldar and didn't look back for the longest time. I've sold a lot of it off but i still have enough to play a game, if needed.

quote:

Who wouldn't start with the cheapest, most iconic, and easiest to paint army?

I'd argue that Eldar and Orks are equally easy to paint. Just slather primary colours on your pansies and green on your orks and you're done.
Of course, if NuGW actually spent some time and attention to the xenos races, rather than a slap job and minor update, giving them greater presence and screen time and not being 'Red Shirts: the Faction', more people might start with them.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Liquid Communism posted:

Orks actually get Gorkanauts and Morkanauts at the equivalent price, but no idea how they stack up.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Imperium Bias Real Hahahaha Heretic Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Heretic Close Your Eyes Haha

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Soulfucker posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Imperium Bias Real Hahahaha Heretic Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Heretic Close Your Eyes Haha
:same:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Soulfucker posted:

Get a load of this fuckin' Xenos erasure.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Post pics of cool Dark Eldar. I am trying to resist buying some and I'd rather blame goons for why I am financially ruined.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Post pics of cool Dark Eldar. I am trying to resist buying some and I'd rather blame goons for why I am financially ruined.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Yeaaah that's the stuff

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

The Bee posted:

Orks actually get Gorkanauts and Morkanauts at the equivalent price, but no idea how they stack up.

I watched a MWG batrep where a Naught charged into a wounded Bobby G and stomped him flat, who then got better and loving murdered the Naught in one round of combat.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

"It's fun to stay at the YMCA..."

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Please don't.

Ah, thank you. I just subscribed, so i'll catch up next month!

The current one is just ending. Next month they're having a four-way battle with their armies, but I'd suggest picking up this month's one which shows off the full arny for each guy. There's some nice looking work and a good variety of stuff (Templars, Guard, Eldar and CSM).

Broken Record Talk posted:

Crimson Fists forever. I have an obscene number of them so I can put most lists on the table, and if I can't I'm probably only 1-2 units away from being able to. Plus I really like their scheme and find it quite relaxing to paint.

My other three armies really need work before I can run them again - my Guard are heavily built into mech Vets and the Blood Angels were a Descent of Angels list which was never particularly well thought through and has very few options. Dark Eldar probably need the least tweaking but also are the least interesting to me right now.

More than anything I need to sort out my storage situation. I have more armies and side projects and miscellaneous bits from other games than I have cases.

adamantium|wang posted:

I watched a MWG batrep where a Naught charged into a wounded Bobby G and stomped him flat, who then got better and loving murdered the Naught in one round of combat.

Is it just me that really dislikes video battle reports? I hugely prefer words + pictures and I wish more people still did them.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

I loving love this moose demon. More of that as you do more work on it please!
I'll probably cut right to the final photos as soon as it's done, but rest assured they'll be posted (hopefully before too long)!

In the meantime, finished this maniac for a game this coming Friday. The photos aren't great and revealed a few touch-up spots (definition around the backpack skull, gray highlights on the handle of the sheathed blade...), but it's definitely done for now!

Girlfriend suggested giving him a bandana to match my Catachan. Turns out trimming a purity seal and sticking it into a flattened sausage of greenstuff makes for a super easy and dynamic bandana.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Corrode posted:

Is it just me that really dislikes video battle reports? I hugely prefer words + pictures and I wish more people still did them.

They can be done well, but 99% of people have no idea how to do it. The best ones are like football play analysis, with commentary over that happened in the turn, with some key focus on dice rolls and player reactions.

But, they barely exist, most people are happy to film the grueling amount of pedantry that doesnt make the hobby fun (individually measuring and moving 30 genestealers for 10+ minutes :shepicide: )

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This is super cool and some of the best content in this thread in many, many pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Corrode posted:

a cock shaped fruit posted:

They can be done well, but 99% of people have no idea how to do it. The best ones are like football play analysis, with commentary over that happened in the turn, with some key focus on dice rolls and player reactions.

Yeah, Winters SEO and Geeks Wargaming are good for this. I only watched MWG because there was a dearth of info at the time and I really wanted to see how 8th played. If you find the waffling too much to bear just stick it on 1.5x speed and away you go.