Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah it's more of the same. too bleak for me. and i already deal with LA headcases in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It was fine and all, but I could pass on another season of the same.

Skip it then. It's more of the same. First two thirds are a little more light hearted, last third is setting up the pieces to possibly go dark dark, or go dark with redemption. Feels like if they handle it right that this could be the denouement, but I have a feeling they're gonna drag it out another season or two.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks guys!

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

So the very end of The Good Place Season One is basically Janet giving Eleanor the Horn of Eld in the form of a mouth-note. Count me in for season two!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They Look Like People just got added to Prime and it is very very good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

McSpanky posted:

I was afraid Danson had lost it after he sleepwalked through the denouement of CSI Original Flavor, but drat he brought his A-game to The Good Place.

He's good in Season 2 of Fargo.

mysterious frankie posted:

The new Bojack is pretty solid so far. Just getting to final third, which is where things traditionally start to get outrageously dark. Maybe not as funny or clever as the previous seasons, but satisfactory.

The thing that's wigging me out this season is the realization that absolutely none of the real-life people on Bojack look like their real selves. Zach Braff looks more like A Ryan Seacrest Type than Zach Braff.

As far as the show goes, it's a better cyclical show about a self-destructive man who's on a dead-end path in life than Better Call Saul :thurman:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
To chime in some opinions on BoJack Horseman Season 4, I'd say there are two particular episodes that hit me quite strongly. The rest are still good and characteristically funny, but in terms of character development I really hated what happened to certain people. I'll try not to spoil, but it upsets me that certain characters had a "return-to-status-quo" arch in this season.

If you haven't been a fan of the rest of the seasons, I wouldn't be the first to say this season will give you a fresh new perspective since there's an equal amount of peak and trough. It was enjoyable though, and I caught myself planning to watch two episodes and accidentally watching the whole thing in one setting, naturally.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The thing that's wigging me out this season is the realization that absolutely none of the real-life people on Bojack look like their real selves. Zach Braff looks more like A Ryan Seacrest Type than Zach Braff.

I remember someone pointed out that the celebrities who aren't voiced by themselves die.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Todd episode in particular is really fun, it's like a Bojack version of Charlie Work.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember someone pointed out that the celebrities who aren't voiced by themselves die.

They buck this trend when Zach Braff gets cannibalized about halfway through the season.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

We need to talk about kevin is a very good movie that i would never recommend that anyone watch.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

is there a way to make a netflix show go away so I don't see it? for example, jeff dunham and his terrible comedy special. i want to inglorious basterds that guy

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Unfortunately no. If there was, people with narrower interests would realize how little Netflix has for them. Same reason they abandoned the star system.

(Please bring the star system back)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I have the old app installed on my phone, it still has the star system lol

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
I missed this place 😘...

After a long break I'm back and bring an verry old show from the last century into the Spotlight of this tread Babylon 5.

If you start watching this space sify show you will say wtf horrible special effects wtf are you loving kidding me?
No, I don't Babylon 5 has the whole time problems to get enough money for the fortgoing show so special effects was never the strenghs of Babylon 5.
The show lifes frome the evolving of the characters​ and the acting of them sourounded from an epic story with the one or other special guest stars.

If you missed this show and you love a good told space opera and your focus is not on good looking pictures you have to give this show a chance.

I know it's soooo 90's but I promise you will love the story.

The trick for Babylon 5 watching is to do it constantly without a break untill the end.
I would never watched this show if a friend not visited me as a I was sick and couldnt leave the bed for two weeks at some time in the nineteenth century...
He put his whole VHS collection of Babylon 5 in a basket and told me "I know I know you're star trek fan but you must give it a chance".

Finaly he was right the story and the characters are drat good. Try it :)

XenJ fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 13, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bring back the star system.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The Good Place episodes on Netflix are the extended versions right?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Benagain posted:

The Good Place episodes on Netflix are the extended versions right?

No they are not, which I learned immediately after finishing the last episode.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Netflix puts up what they buy from the production companies (often stuff for re-runs and/or packaged for syndication it seems). If you want extended versions of anything, you have to bug them.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I honestly thought it was a Netflix exclusive show until I was done and started reading about it.

The lack of BUH BUM NETFLIX opener should have been a clue.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am 8 episodes in on The Handmaid's Tale, and all I have to say is give it every drama award possible please (and give Master of None all the other awards). Also I knew it was coming after watching Mad Men all those years, but I am in love with ‎Elisabeth Moss. This is even despite the fact she is into Scientology (why oh why given their history of mistreating people).

While I haven't finished it, I was surprised to learn there was going to be a season 2. I thought it was just a mini-series.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

nate fisher posted:

Also I knew it was coming after watching Mad Men all those years, but I am in love with ‎Elisabeth Moss.

You should watch Top of the Lake if you haven't

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Or The One I Love, might still be on Netflix. Go in blind

edit: its not up there

but Take This Waltz is, if you're in the mood for twee shoegazey hipster crap

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 13, 2017

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

One I love is on amazon if you have that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I wish I could get into Master of None, I really do. But Aziz Ansari has always been a complete non-starter for me.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

morestuff posted:

You should watch Top of the Lake if you haven't

I am keeping Hulu an extra month just to watch it.

A MIRACLE posted:

I've seen The One I Love and liked it.

Just curious thoughts on Listen Up Phillip?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 13, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The One I Love was great.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

nate fisher posted:

Just curious thoughts on Listen Up Phillip?
Moss is fantastic in it and has a wonderful segment in the film all to herself. The rest of the movie has Jason Schwartzman playing an immense dipshit, which may or may not grate on you.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Coaaab posted:

Moss is fantastic in it and has a wonderful segment in the film all to herself. The rest of the movie has Jason Schwartzman playing an immense dipshit, which may or may not grate on you.

That sounds like my poo poo I'll check it out

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

I wish I could get into Master of None, I really do. But Aziz Ansari has always been a complete non-starter for me.

I like it overall but I don't blame anyone who can't get into it. Aziz feels like a cartoon person and a lot of the dialogue is stilted. It doesn't help that Angela Basset shows up for one episode and completely clowns everyone by showing them what a real actor is.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

nate fisher posted:

I am 8 episodes in on The Handmaid's Tale, and all I have to say is give it every drama award possible please (and give Master of None all the other awards). Also I knew it was coming after watching Mad Men all those years, but I am in love with ‎Elisabeth Moss. This is even despite the fact she is into Scientology (why oh why given their history of mistreating people).

While I haven't finished it, I was surprised to learn there was going to be a season 2. I thought it was just a mini-series.

I have it markt to watch but was not sure from what I saw...
But your post brings this show back into my focus. Thank you 🤗

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

I like it overall but I don't blame anyone who can't get into it. Aziz feels like a cartoon person and a lot of the dialogue is stilted. It doesn't help that Angela Basset shows up for one episode and completely clowns everyone by showing them what a real actor is.

Rewatching parks and rec made me lose whatever tolerance I had built up for him. It's a great show but he's the worst thing on it. I kept hoping Tom haverford would get taken out by a freak gas main explosion or something.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Rewatching parks and rec made me lose whatever tolerance I had built up for him. It's a great show but he's the worst thing on it. I kept hoping Tom haverford would get taken out by a freak gas main explosion or something.

I never had a problem with him when watching it week to week, but good god I realized how exhausting of a character he is when binge rewatching.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ansari was kind of hard to distinguish from Tom Havervord for a while there. It just totally leaked into his standup and other roles that he played. That's really not where he started out or where he is now though. I don't love everything he does but I think people are too quick to dismiss him as being obnoxious. Master of None is great.

I actually thought Tom was in line with all of Parks and Rec. He was funny at first and it got so run into the ground I started to hate him. That was how everyone on the show was to me though. A bunch of great characters that ran out of poo poo to do by the 4th or 5th season and became parodies of themselves.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Jesus, this new Hulu interface update on the PS4 is loving horrible, practically unnavigable.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

WarEternal posted:

Jesus, this new Hulu interface update on the PS4 is loving horrible, practically unnavigable.

Hoo boy, I was just thinking the same thing.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Timby posted:

I thought he was just ok on parks and rec and I flat out don't like his stand up but man I loved Master of None. The dialogue is great, the secondary characters are well acted and interesting and it tackles some pretty hard topics with a weird charm and humor that kind of blunts the edges.

Give it a few episodes.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Just watched 'The Road' with Viggo. Was there a point? What benefit would the coast offer? Is the pointlessness the point? Can we ban 'Eli' from being used in apocalyptic movies for like 20 years?
Also, cannibals should learn to make sausage.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

the book is really loving pointless too if that makes you feel any better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure the morale of the book is to do your best to not survive a civilization shattering event. At least, that's what I took away from it...