Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Me [28 F] with my aunt [52 F] of 28 years, every time I have a house party/dinner party, she brings food & drink for her and her kids and it upsets me. Not sure how to approach.

Get over it.

They're picky eaters. They KNOW they're picky eaters. They bring food with them they know the kids will eat, big deal.

Such a non-issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your aunt is weird and ruining her children, but youre being dramatic about it and could resolve this problem by just not making them any food since it doesnt seem like they expect you to?

Who am I kidding, you put poison in the food and thats why nobody eats what you cook.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Me [28 F] with my aunt [52 F] of 28 years, every time I have a house party/dinner party, she brings food & drink for her and her kids and it upsets me. Not sure how to approach.

if she's not making you cook it why the gently caress do you care, aunt's made it as clear as possible that it's not a dig at your cooking or anything she's just a nut

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol @ at husband and father that won't break their "no sweets" or atkins diet stuff on loving Thanksgiving.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Proteus Jones posted:

Get over it.

They're picky eaters. They KNOW they're picky eaters. They bring food with them they know the kids will eat, big deal.

Such a non-issue.

Yeah, it seems like they're taking steps to accommodate themselves so that no one else feels pressured to cater to them. Picky eaters are terrible, but this seems like the best compromise given that.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This one seems as forgettable as they come at first, but then...
Me [40 M] with my wife [40 F] has no privacy MIL [70F]

quote:

submitted 4 days ago by rr_throwa9

I keep on feeling I do not matter to my wife. I feel like all that matters to her is her family. This manifests in a number of ways.

1) Everything I say she gets her mother's opinion on

2) If I an her mother differ on something she goes with her mother's opinion

3) If my Mother in Law thinks that I am wrong my mother in law makes sure that she tells me so in no uncertain terms.

4) My wife tells her mother about things that I am just thinking about.

]5) My wife gets my mother in laws opinions on highly personal items like SEX and even wears lingerie to bed that my mother in law bought her and says things like, 'my mom bought this for you don't you think I look sexy'. Unfortunately a lot of the time they are things that are not my fetish.

I with hold connection with my wife because I am afraid that my mother in law will find out my inner most thoughts.

None of the facts in the post are in dispute between my wife and I .... she admits to each and everyone of them. Also we do not live in the same state as my mother in law, but due to the miracles of modern technology she is constantly a presence.....

What types of things can I do in a non blaming manner can I do to show with that this is an issue for me. Thing that is not an issue..... I would not mind if they spent more time together if I did not feel violated.

TL;DR No privacy in relationship from mother in law, disagreement with wife about if this is a problem.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Ouhei posted:

I remember seeing a video one time where this Japanese guy hadn't spoken a word to his wife in like 20 years or some insane amount of time. They had 2 kids and apparently shortly after the second was born he felt jealous about how much attention she gave the kids and didn't speak to her. He eventually got over being a turd but it had been so long he had no idea how to even start talking to her again...so he just didn't. Eventually the kids contact some show and they arrange a date for them and the finally speak.

Fake edit: Here's the story http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4078242/Sulking-husband-went-20-YEARS-without-speaking-wife.html

I could see this being a B plot on a stuffy British drama. One day, the husband forgets to perfunctorily say, "ma'm," to his wife before going to work, and is too embarrassed about the whole thing to speak to her for the next 30 years.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Chomp8645 posted:

lol @ at husband and father that won't break their "no sweets" or atkins diet stuff on loving Thanksgiving.

But why is the wife carefully monitoring who to be upset at for not eating all eight of her side dishes? Isn't the point to cook a bunch of food and have people eat what they like? I probably would not have been enthused about maple-glazed carrots either, am I not allowed to turn down a single side without hurting the cook's feelings, even if I am vigorously enjoying the rest of the meal?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"my mom bought this for you don't you think I look sexy"

the worst loving sentence in the English language

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

But why is the wife carefully monitoring who to be upset at for not eating all eight of her side dishes? Isn't the point to cook a bunch of food and have people eat what they like? I probably would not have been enthused about maple-glazed carrots either, am I not allowed to turn down a single side without hurting the cook's feelings, even if I am vigorously enjoying the rest of the meal?

You're a cold-hearted monster, Jeff.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98YukqxYCKU&hd=1

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I think my dick would invert if that was uttered during SEXYTIMEZ

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

But see, her love language is stuffing food in your maw:

OP posted:

Having some sense of normalcy in my family relationships is important to me. First and foremost I just like cooking in general but I like having people over to break bread. Maybe your family is different, but mine centers a lot around making & eating our food together.

OP posted:

I disagree that I am tying success into how much people eat. It's not about the quantity, it's that I want people to be eating food that they like and enjoy. "Success" at Thanksgiving would have been knowing what people like and making that. We agreed upon a menu a week in advance, so there was time to make suggestions about what could be made/adjusted for everyone's food preferences. Instead of making those suggestions to ensure everyone had food options they liked, my aunt didn't communicate and let me make a whole array of food that she knew wouldn't be eaten.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Almost.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"your mom bought this for you don't you think I look sexy"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

It's obviously weird/rude to consistently show up to someone's dinner only to sit in the corner eating chicken nuggets, you're wasting their time and food. On the other hand,

she does seem like she's being kinda weird about some stuff.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
I[20F] caught my brother[18M] and his girlfriend[18F] having sex with their school counselor[25F] who is also a family friend.

quote:

So my brother has been dating Rachel for a couple years now, but they've been friends for over 10 years so Rachael is basically family. Ashley is a counselor at our school and this is her second year on the job. My older sister and Ashley are good friends and that's how we know her. She's really nice and pretty though my parents were surprised because she's openly bisexual and was dating a woman at the time.

Ashley came over to our house more often than usual even when my sister wasn't home. Our family is close to her so it's not strange to have her around the house even if my sister isn't here, but it was weird that she was visiting so often. One night I was out with my friends when one of them felt ill. So we decided to all call it in early and go home.

Much to my shock when I get home I hear noises coming from upstairs and see my brother, Rachael, and Ashley all in my brother's bed naked. They quickly notice me and after an awkward moment I walk away. They got dressed and came to my room and we all talked. They promised to be honest with whatever questions I had. Apparently they had been having their threesomes for about 6 months now. Ashley wasn't in love with either of them and that this was just sex. On top of that I now know that Rachael is bisexual. They begged me not to tell anyone that Ashley could lose her job and my parents would freak out.

Not only that, but it could affect the friendship between my sister and Ashley. Now I have no problem with my brother having sex and I think his sex life as long as it's safe shouldn't be my business. This is really confusing to me though. Ashley is a school counselor who works at the school my brother and Rachael go to. I really feel like I should at least tell my mom(my mom is a principal, but not at the school my brother and Rachael go to) , but

I feel like I'm betraying my brother, Rachael, and Ashley all of whom are pretty much family.

tl:dr: I caught my brother and his girlfriend sleeping with our family friend who is also a counselor that works at their school. They begged me not to tell anyone.

quote:

But if I tell someone wouldn't that cause friction in or family? I don't want that to happen. What if my brother or my sister or Rachael start blaming me for Ashley getting into trouble?

quote:

I don't think she slept with other students and I don't think she'll ever sleep with other students in the future. Besides it's my brother's sex life and he's 18 now, shouldn't I just stay out of the way and mind my own business? This won't hurt him or Rachael.

quote:

Oh wait sorry I mistyped my brother's age, he's 17 and Ashley is 18.(my brother is turning 18 in about a month however)

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's OK to expect people to break a diet on Thanksgiving, our national day of gluttony, when you do all the cooking and to be concerned about the eating habits of your extended family.

It seems like she's gone out of her way to accommodate them so yeah I can see why she'd need to vent.

The_end
May 17, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The lady is 70. I have a feeling he would be able to wait this one out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah like, if I'm planning a meal for 8 people, I'm not going to veto a dish just because I personally don't like it. Is that what she wanted her husband to do?

I think the aunt is probably embarrassed by her kids and bringing food is her best attempt at minimizing that. It's not like this is a stranger, the OP has known the deal forever, she just doesn't like it. I wouldn't like my aunt raising her kids that way either but I'd either not invite her or learn to cope. The middle ground of inviting her only to be upset every time is pretty maddening to me. Solve your problem or accept that you can't solve it and stop letting it get to you - the middle ground of reopening the wound every time you're reminded of it must get old fast. She can dislike her....niblings (*shudder*) eating habits but I think the time for being surprised by them has passed.

EDIT: looking again I guess she has stopped inviting the aunt over so good for her, I'm sure this will still come up though

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 13, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

if she's not making you cook it why the gently caress do you care, aunt's made it as clear as possible that it's not a dig at your cooking or anything she's just a nut

Chomp8645 posted:

Hot take: OP sucks at cooking and nobody wants to eat the unsavory and/or unsanitary poo poo she's shoveling.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

I[20F] caught my brother[18M] and his girlfriend[18F] having sex with their school counselor[25F] who is also a family friend.

You know I was going to let this slide as let the boy live a dream but then the counselor is loving underage people, including other underage people, and yeah now Im gonna be the old fuddy duddy saying put em in jail.

And not sexy, fantasy jail. Actual jail.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

quote:

I don't think she slept with other students and I don't think she'll ever sleep with other students in the future.

Lol, okay. Keep harboring that predator.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

You know I was going to let this slide as let the boy live a dream but then the counselor is loving underage people, including other underage people, and yeah now Im gonna be the old fuddy duddy saying put em in jail.

And not sexy, fantasy jail. Actual jail.

Even if they weren't underage it's still hosed up

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

sexy teacher roleplay is all over the place, you know what you never see? sexy guidance counselor

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"are those the panties your mother laid out for you?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sexy teacher roleplay is all over the place, you know what you never see? sexy guidance counselor

I know, sexy HR really stole their double entendre material

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Waiting for sexy actuary personally

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

fruit on the bottom posted:

You're a white male non-smoker aged 31 who is a pizza delivery guy? Get a $20000 20 year policy and then get in my panties.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

fruit on the bottom posted:

Want me to tell you how long you can expect to wait on average? :heysexy:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

I [19F] deleted a customer [50sM] off Facebook, and he's taking it so bad I think it's going to cause problems for me at work.

There's so much about this story that makes me feel :psyduck:

Why is OP only earning £40 a week? I thought the UK had reasonable wages and all that stuff so unless she's working one half-shift a week or something? And how hard could it be to find another job? The only thing I can make sense of it is if she's an illegal immigrant working for cash slave wages?

And then at the end throwing in the line about the 50-something psycho also being obsessed with comics or whatever? It's all so loving strange. I need to know more but I know that any further explanation would just raise another million questions.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I call this one "Purposefully Antagonistic"

My boyfriend [25M] and I [24F] work together. He's making work life difficult by being purposely antagonistic to my coworkers. I want him to stop, he says he's "sticking up for himself".

quote:

I work for a pretty large company in a small department. It's pretty much just me and 4 other women. 3 months ago my boyfriend lost his job. We've been hiring at work so I offered to put in a good word for him and he got a job. We don't work together during the day, but we do eat lunch together. Which is where the problem comes in.

Every woman in my department is vegan. They're also a bit preachy about it. As a side note, I know plenty of nice vegans. I'm not here to pull a whole "How do you know a vegan..." thing or whatever. But the facts stand that they're preachy. I'm not vegan. When I first started working there a year ago I would bring meat and animal products to work for lunch. I got a lot of lectures about how it was so unhealthy and unethical, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Eventually, I decided to "go vegan." I stopped bringing any animal products for lunch. To me this is such an easy solution. I don't mind eating one vegan meal a day if it means I get to keep the peace at work and get along with my coworkers. Our office is tiny and I have to interact with them 8 hours a day...I love what I do at work and this is a small price to pay to create a welcoming work environment for myself.

This is something my boyfriend knows. We live together so he knows what I pack for lunch. He's always sort of rolled his eyes but never commented on it. The night before he started working I went ahead and packed him his own vegan lunch so he could eat with me at work without getting a lecture.

The next day he comes up to the break room and pulls out a massive Reuben in all it's pink, meaty glory. Definitely not the pasta I'd packed the night before. I thought it was odd that he'd re-packed his lunch after I left that morning but whatever. Then the reactions started. "Oh, your boyfriend's not vegan, too?" "Wow, that's a lot of red meat, you'll be exhausted after lunch!" On and on.

My boyfriend went off on them, telling them not to judge his food choices and he wouldn't judge theirs. When we got home that night I asked why he re-packed his lunch. He said he wasn't going to "hide who he is" just to please a bunch of judgemental busybodies. I agreed that he shouldn't had to, but said I feel it's worth doing to keep the peace. He disagreed.

That was 3 months ago. He eats with us maybe 3 times a week. And while I love my boyfriend and love getting to spend that 45 minutes with him during the day, he's made work difficult. I'm back to having my coworkers lecture me about how I should "convert" him, how could I be with a meat-eater, etc, etc.

Like, I know these kinds of people. It can be any cause, they're not gonna stop. I just want to have a happy work environment. My method worked fine. I'm at the point where I want him to stop eating lunch with us just to save the lectures.

Would it be too cruel to ask him to stop? Is it completely not my place to ask that he please just eat the lunches I pack so we can spend a nice lunch together?

tl;dr: I've spent the last year as a "vegan" to keep the peace with my judgey coworkers. My boyfriend now works with us and refuses to cooperate. I'm back at square one. What can I reasonably do to like going to work again?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I call this one "Purposefully Antagonistic"

My boyfriend [25M] and I [24F] work together. He's making work life difficult by being purposely antagonistic to my coworkers. I want him to stop, he says he's "sticking up for himself".

Sorry that your boyfriend has the only spine between the two of you.

Also, have you heard the good news about hostile work environments?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
that op is not gonna like the replies at alllll lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

that op is not gonna like the replies at alllll lol

I disagree, as a sentient doormat shell do whatever the loudest voices tell her.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

*on the horn with your wife's mother* KEEP MY NAME OUT YO MOUTH

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Barudak posted:

Sorry that your boyfriend has the only spine between the two of you.

Also, have you heard the good news about hostile work environments?

oh please oh please oh please don't start this again

the solution here is to find a new job, there is absolutely nothing she can do to remedy this situation beyond that.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
something I never get is that people are always saying things like "bring it up to hr!" and "you can take your landlord to court" and things like that, and they never seem to get that even if all those sort of systems worked in your favor 100% of the time, there is always a technically legal/non-actionable, difficult to fight, expensive, time consuming, or some other burdensome way the party with more power/money/clout whatever will use to hit back. even if you really truly win, are you really gonna be stoked about going to that job? excited to not have been evicted from a building where your landlord "never gets" your messages about repairs or loses your rent check twice a month? like, in real life, you are gonna get hosed and/or end up with an unfair outcome and nothing you can do about it but cut your losses like, all the time (unless you're rich or w/e)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm sure she won't mind breaking up with her boyfriend only 40 hours of the week if she gets to keep the peace at work and get along with her coworkers.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

something I never get is that people are always saying things like "bring it up to hr!" and "you can take your landlord to court" and things like that, and they never seem to get that even if all those sort of systems worked in your favor 100% of the time, there is always a technically legal/non-actionable, difficult to fight, expensive, time consuming, or some other burdensome way the party with more power/money/clout whatever will use to hit back. even if you really truly win, are you really gonna be stoked about going to that job? excited to not have been evicted from a building where your landlord "never gets" your messages about repairs or loses your rent check twice a month? like, in real life, you are gonna get hosed and/or end up with an unfair outcome and nothing you can do about it but cut your losses like, all the time (unless you're rich or w/e)

legal remedy is for the wealthy

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's the same thing in the other direction too, it's like advice givers have a weird legal and moralistic mindset. "It's their house, their rules" is mostly really awful advice because, generally, your parents aren't going to legally evict you for disobeying, but it's pretty much what's given to any kid who asks in there. Meanwhile millions of children disobey their idiot parents each year without finding themselves homeless and sometimes even with better outcomes than if they had not disobeyed.

"Oh your mother is being conned by some guy into letting him live with her rent free and walk all over her? Well it's not technically your problem because of subsection C here, go ahead and move out until she's ready to do something" is a pretty common refrain too. Way to type something entirely useless to the OP. No, maybe you don't have the right to try and end your mother's relationship, but if the OP is going to try, you may as well give them the advice that will maximize likelihood of success.