Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, I haven't seen any of them - or will I ever - but from previews and everything I've heard about them I wouldn't exactly call any of those failures direct adaptations either. Maaaaybe Death Note, but wasn't that a lovely Netflix made-for-tv one?

Death Note is way different than the source, though it does trade on the same name and premise/character names. also i dunno if i'd say a movie produced for Netflix is necessarily lovely or in the realm of made-for-tv/direct-to-video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

successes: Speed Racer, and pretty much only Speed Racer

it's been years since i saw it but this

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's two days left of Seven Seas announcements. If they got either Yokohama Kaidashi Kikko or Is This a Dumbbell? I'm gonna flip

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

successes: Speed Racer, and pretty much only Speed Racer

I rewatched it not too long ago and I wish they didn't try to make it super family friendly or at least cut back on the Spritle and Chim Chim scenes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's two days left of Seven Seas announcements. If they got either Yokohama Kaidashi Kikko or Is This a Dumbbell? I'm gonna flip

well the latter is at least somewhat likely

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

I rewatched it not too long ago and I wish they didn't try to make it super family friendly or at least cut back on the Spritle and Chim Chim scenes.

Those scenes are silly, but I think they work and match the whole tone of the movie. I end up rewatching it every year or two, and I love it every time.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Aurora posted:

What is Inception based on?

Jackard posted:

Yea, not seeing anything like that on its description..?

Sorry, yeah I meant Paprika. Not an adaptation, but definitely inspired by

There Bias Two posted:

Does Avatar count as anime?

I think we can all agree that the answer is a resounding yes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's at least going to be hard for them to gently caress up a Macross/Robotech film as long as they copy the Valkyrie designs and make the CGI and action good.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

WHAT

edit; stop trying to take my money amazon, I use you a lot, yes but

Compendium fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 14, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Inception is really not inspired by Paprika.

Robotech might work but I have a suspicion they'll probably remove all the wierd elements. No more singing, the Earth probably won't get destroyed...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Inception was inspired by Paprika, but it has a completely different storyline and structure and metaphysics.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The Japanese Film Festival apparently has a different program for different state capitals which is a bummer 'cause I'm not going to get the Neko Atsume movie or a bunch of the short films and indie films :( On the other hand, we're getting both that Napping Princess movie and In this Corner of the World :toot:

Also, I guess Your Name is only going around to the regional locations...? Weird. Maybe they just haven't finished announcing the program yet

If there are any other Australians in here, the lineup seems pretty neat, should be fun

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just say Black Swan, goddammit. Even Aronofsky low-key admitted it.

RAD!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Wark Say posted:

Just say Black Swan, goddammit. Even Aronofsky low-key admitted it.

Oh I still haven't managed to see that yet, what's it inspired by?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Knorth posted:

Oh I still haven't managed to see that yet, what's it inspired by?

Perfect Blue, I would assume.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Huh I haven't managed to see that yet either, maybe I'll make a night of it and watch both

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

inspired by is generous, he just copied scenes from it

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Knorth posted:

The Japanese Film Festival apparently has a different program for different state capitals which is a bummer 'cause I'm not going to get the Neko Atsume movie or a bunch of the short films and indie films :( On the other hand, we're getting both that Napping Princess movie and In this Corner of the World :toot:

Also, I guess Your Name is only going around to the regional locations...? Weird. Maybe they just haven't finished announcing the program yet

If there are any other Australians in here, the lineup seems pretty neat, should be fun

:yeah: :dance:

:livintrope:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oof, unlucky :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

harmony gold lost the macross license

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Pull the other one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

Harmony Gold's Macross, Mospaeda, Southern Cross Licenses Still Expire in 2021
posted on 2017-09-14 18:20 EDT
http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/news/2017-09-14/harmony-gold-macross-mospaeda-southern-cross-licenses-still-expire-in-2021/.121372

Good news?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Finally, thank god.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

star blazers when

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Seven Seas license today were Magical Beasts and Where to Find Them but it's a manga and

quote:

Kinji, who lacks any kind of work ethic, is a layabout in his modern life. One day, he finds himself transported to another world–but not in a grand fantasy of a hero welcomed with open arms. He’s immediately shoved into a terrible job! Now enslaved by an evil mining company in a fantasy world, Kinji’s about to really learn the meaning of hard work!

quote:

An elite but socially-stunted gamer finds himself in another world, inhabiting the body of his character Diablo. But despite his powers, his awkwardness keeps getting in the way–so he decides to pretend to be a Demon Lord and soon finds himself with a pair of slaves: a well-endowed elf and a cat girl. Together, they struggle with everything from interpersonal relationships to diabolical beast battles!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they both suck, boo seven seas

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

quote:

It is a time when humans have begun to forget magic, and science has risen to take its place. Mythical beasts are beginning to disappear from the world. A young girl named Ziska, born into a line of mages, becomes the apprentice to a veterinarian for magical creatures. With the two of them working together, they hope to save these beasts of legend from a world that is leaving them behind.

I'll read it!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Only if Tatsunoko is smart enough to not renew the HG license when that happens.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Harmony Gold has only really existed for the last few years to spite anyone who wants Marcoss.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/908478064304185344

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
after this interview with the director i am somewhat intrigued by this fall 2017 show:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/interview/2017-09-13/amica-kubo/.120872

mainly cos women so seldom get to direct anime when they actually do its because they are real fuckin good (eg blood blockade, michiko and hatchin) and the pv looks interesting. her philosophy on the design elements sound promising too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzzXyRcGFw

the manga being adapted seems pretty bare boned and as the interview implies this seems like the series is gonna be borderline anime original too, which is always interesting. i have hopes for this show and will definitely keep an eye on it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's from that talking fart anime, isn't it?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

It's from that talking fart anime, isn't it?

No, this is Piko Tarou no Lullaby Lullaby, which is in the OP, kind sir.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Holy poo poo that is going to be one to watch out for.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Meh.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

finally, a good license

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/908815821912363008

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy