Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

something I never get is that people are always saying things like "bring it up to hr!" and "you can take your landlord to court" and things like that, and they never seem to get that even if all those sort of systems worked in your favor 100% of the time, there is always a technically legal/non-actionable, difficult to fight, expensive, time consuming, or some other burdensome way the party with more power/money/clout whatever will use to hit back. even if you really truly win, are you really gonna be stoked about going to that job? excited to not have been evicted from a building where your landlord "never gets" your messages about repairs or loses your rent check twice a month? like, in real life, you are gonna get hosed and/or end up with an unfair outcome and nothing you can do about it but cut your losses like, all the time (unless you're rich or w/e)

Good post.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's the same thing in the other direction too, it's like advice givers have a weird legal and moralistic mindset. "It's their house, their rules" is mostly really awful advice because, generally, your parents aren't going to legally evict you for disobeying, but it's pretty much what's given to any kid who asks in there. Meanwhile millions of children disobey their idiot parents each year without finding themselves homeless and sometimes even with better outcomes than if they had not disobeyed.

"Oh your mother is being conned by some guy into letting him live with her rent free and walk all over her? Well it's not technically your problem because of subsection C here, go ahead and move out until she's ready to do something" is a pretty common refrain too. Way to type something entirely useless to the OP. No, maybe you don't have the right to try and end your mother's relationship, but if the OP is going to try, you may as well give them the advice that will maximize likelihood of success.

Good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Chomp8645 posted:

Good post.

Good post.

Average post

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

:mediocre:

Really though, if you ever need a palate cleanser, /r/relationships has these "love fest Friday" megathreads so that people can post things they appreciate about their SO or just hush about how they're so in love or whatever.

Not much in the way of :lol: but if you need a :3: to break up the :dogbutton:, :stare:, and :sever: that might do

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mirthless posted:

oh please oh please oh please don't start this again

the solution here is to find a new job, there is absolutely nothing she can do to remedy this situation beyond that.

Or straight up tune them out and ramp it up, bring in gigantic steak sandwiches and spit roast a pig right in the break room

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

It's the same thing in the other direction too, it's like advice givers have a weird legal and moralistic mindset. "It's their house, their rules" is mostly really awful advice because, generally, your parents aren't going to legally evict you for disobeying, but it's pretty much what's given to any kid who asks in there. Meanwhile millions of children disobey their idiot parents each year without finding themselves homeless and sometimes even with better outcomes than if they had not disobeyed.

"Oh your mother is being conned by some guy into letting him live with her rent free and walk all over her? Well it's not technically your problem because of subsection C here, go ahead and move out until she's ready to do something" is a pretty common refrain too. Way to type something entirely useless to the OP. No, maybe you don't have the right to try and end your mother's relationship, but if the OP is going to try, you may as well give them the advice that will maximize likelihood of success.

to be fair sometimes the "it's their house their rules" points do need to be posted because the OP is an adult baby and really does need to cope with the idea that if they want to live without rules from their parents they need to move out.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

to be fair sometimes the "it's their house their rules" points do need to be posted because the OP is an adult baby and really does need to cope with the idea that if they want to live without rules from their parents they need to move out.

on the other hand, this thread got into a multi-page derail over a post where a 30-something woman complained about her father tapping his razor at 7 am

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

fruit on the bottom posted:

:mediocre:

Really though, if you ever need a palate cleanser, /r/relationships has these "love fest Friday" megathreads so that people can post things they appreciate about their SO or just hush about how they're so in love or whatever.

Not much in the way of :lol: but if you need a :3: to break up the :dogbutton:, :stare:, and :sever: that might do

Somewhere in there is a post about how daddies cummies are the bestest, I'm sure. It's Reddit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ArbitraryC posted:

This is by and large untrue unless you have parents who will actually willfully terminate their relationship with their child and evict them. Even when their parents are right and just, "you must listen to them" is bad advice, because it simply isn't true. If they even bother to ask the internet whether their parents are right or wrong, chances are they err on the side of being a doormat, in which case, telling them to mindlessly obey could be especially harmful. Someone who is generally disobedient by nature probably won't ask the internet for permission first.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 14, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Breetai posted:

Somewhere in there is a post about how daddies cummies are the bestest, I'm sure. It's Reddit.

I didn't see one in the one I read, though there was a love letter from a man to his left hand.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Need help with my (32/F) friendship with daughter's (15/F) best friend's nutso mother (41/F)

quote:

I have debated coming to reddit for help, but the situation has just gotten so out of control that I am hoping you guys will be able to assist me. Sorry, this is longer than I meant it to be.

Background: Clearly, I am a young parent, my husband (32/M) and I have twin 15-year-olds (F/M) and an eight-year-old boy. We are extremely frugal with money, living without any debt other than our home. We don't spend money outside of normal expenses and leave basic lives. This has always been fine for our children. My older son has a PT job at local restaurant where he works 2-3 a week, he likes it a lot and likes having his own money. My daughter does not work, she is on a club sports team that takes a lot of time. Any spare time she has is spent on school and what little free time a 15-year-old is entitled to. Because of this husband, son, daughter, and I came to the agreement that if she does the chores (meaning her and son's shares) we will give her a weekly stipend to use as she pleases. This has not been an issue for us.

The Situation Daughter has been on this club team for a few years but before then did the little league version of this. This is where she met BFF, BFF is also 15 years old and honestly, a very sweet girl. My only issue with her is that she comes from a very wealthy, or at least they appear to be, family and is always flaunting her new stuff. My daughter is very anti-materialistic so this doesn't phase her.

I have an agreement with BFF's mother, we will call her Tammy. I don't like Tammy. However, I am cordial to her and we work together to make sure our daughters interact well. Our agreement is that she will ferry daughter to out of state meets that we cannot go to, this is a huge help and saves us a lot of money. We still chip in for gas and cover all of our daughter's expenses. In exchange, I drive BFF home after practice, four days a week. This is fine as they live on the way back to our townhome subdivision (this is important-ish). Most days we stop for a treat, daughter has her weekly stipend and chooses to spend it on Starbucks, she saves a portion and uses the rest on Starbucks. It's her money and as long as she isn't turning into a caffeine junky, I don't care. We started this arrangement two months ago.

My issue is that about 75% of the time BFF does not have any money. I didn't notice this and daughter was paying for BFF's $6 drink each time (in comparison daughter gets a tall frappucino so its about half that price). Last Monday, I took daughter shopping and she saw a certain phone accessory she really wanted but refused to buy it. After some prying it came out that she had not been saving at all the last few months, BFF was "borrowing" money for snacks, Starbucks, and whatever. Daughter didn't know how to say no. We talked about it and agreed, daughter would only have enough money for whatever she needed during the day, I would cover Starbucks and we would see what happens. Wednesday rolled around for practice, we went to Starbucks's daughter ordered and I immediately paid. BFF ordered her same drink and when asked for money looked around for daughter, calling over saying she didn't have any money. BFF was visibly pissed, I was watching from afar, and my daughter explained she spent her allowance for the week so I was paying for her coffee. BFF started to pout and cry that she couldn't get her drink, the Starbucks employee felt bad and paid for her drink.

We went back after the next practice, this time BFF ordered before my daughter, she told the employee we were all together then walked to the staging area for drinks. I was blown away by her boldness but did buy the drinks. I wasn't about to cause a pissing match in a Starbucks in suburbia. After we got our drinks, I calmy explained to BFF that I would buy her drink today, but it would not be a regular thing so if she wanted to have Starbucks with us, she could buy her own or just forego it. Her response was "whatever."

Finally, the final day of practice, she was in a good mood and as we pulled up to Starbucks I reminded her that the free coffee train has ended. She erupted, crying, screaming, just having an all out tantrum in general. Telling me it's only $6 and I drive a nice car so I should be able to afford it. Told her I can afford it; however, she's not my child and I don't spend money on things like Starbucks. She made an underhand comment about me being fat and then I told her that I will be taking her home immediately, I wouldn't be spoken to like this. My daughter was shaking, she didn't say anything and was crying as well.

I dropped BFF and she called me a bitch as she slammed my car door. I spoke with daughter on the drive home, she assured me that this wasn't unusual behavior for BFF, she behaves like a lot but daughter just puts up with it. She isn't willing to end the friendship over it.

Later that night her Tammy called me, telling me that she didn't know why I wouldn't buy a simple drink, that I am being rude, that she drives my daughter, and just on and on. I told Tammy that she does drive my daughter, but we fairly compensate her for gas, provide daughter with money for food and whatever else she may need. I noted that I don't collect money for driving BFF even though it's about three miles out of the way. I told her I simply cannot afford to pay her daughter's coffee habit. She called me petty and hung up.

Daughter said that her and BFF were fine, they texted briefly about it but BFF was over it. She would ask her dad for money but didn't like how I was "uncool" about it. I dropped daughter off at the school for her travel weekend and went home...only to have her call me 30 minutes later to tell me that Tammy and BFF never picked her up. Nobody has space for her and the bus cannot take her because 1. she doesn't have money 2. she doesn't have a slip or release signed. I hopped in my car immediately and called Tammy.

Tammy told me that since I was being "petty" she didn't think she had to drive daughter this week. That she wasn't sure that she wanted her daughter around people like me. I asked her what she meant by that? She stated that I lived in a townhouse, I could afford a coffee. She lived in a big mansion and has a lot of bills, she can't pay for coffee every day. Then I told her that maybe her daughter just needs to go without? She was incredulous. Screaming and yelling at me, telling me that how dare I judge her and say her daughter needs to be deprived. Telling me that she has heard about how cheap I am and that even though I got knocked up young, which means I got plenty of freebies apparently, doesn't give me a free pass in "big girl world." That if I can afford three kids, where I work FT and so does my husband, then I can afford Starbucks. I told her I did the math, I would be spending about $100 a month on HER daughter. I don't even pay for my daughter's drinks. She then yelled that she drives eight plus hours sometimes with my child and I don't pay her for her time (we cover most of the gas actually). At this time BFF is texting daughter apologizing and asking "please ask your mom not to hate me." I ended the call abruptly and told daughter to make sure her BFF was fine.

It's now Wednesday, my daughter has been sick all week so BFF has had to find other ways home. She will be back in school and practice tomorrow. I am supposed to pick them up tomorrow, I have not been notified of this changing. Daughter texted that BFF assumed that we would be driving her home as her mother has not said anything different. Daughter has begged me to drive her and to smooth things over with Tammy. BFF apologized for her behavior a million times over the weekend and through texts.

Tammy texted me an hour ago stating that if I choose to drive her daughter home(?) tomorrow then I should treat her like I treat my own daughter, I think she means I should buy her Starbucks, and if I do not I would "be sorry" as she has contacted her attorney. She said that I have stolen from her (HA) and that have inflicted emotional turmoil upon her. She wants me to talk to her when I drop BFF off tomorrow. What the heck do I do? Do I apologize? Do I stick my grounds? My daughter values this friendship, I would hate to ruin it over this crazy lady.

tl;dr My daughter's best friend's mother has started a huge issue over flipping Starbucks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You live in a smaller house than me, so you can afford to buy my offspring things. What.

Nobody gets Starbucks. Everyone is equal. Problem. Solved.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

Need help with my (32/F) friendship with daughter's (15/F) best friend's nutso mother (41/F)

Agreed

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Me [27F] with my fiance's family [00 M/F] acts as if I'm doing him a huge favor by being with him

quote:

I've been with my partner for three years now, and we recently became engaged. It's a good relationship with healthy boundaries, common interests, and equal support. We're partners by every definition.
His family likes me a lot, as well, which I appreciate. I like them, too, when they're not treating me like some philanthropic angel that goes about fixing people.

When I started seeing my partner, George, he had been in a string of toxic relationships; he had married young, against his family's wishes, and his wife ended up with post-partum psychosis. She stabbed him multiple times, was in and out of in-patient psychiatric facilities for years until George found out about her infidelity.

When he left her, he started to see another woman and delved into abusing prescription drugs, was unable to hold down employment, and ended up homeless. He ended up getting into a physical altercation with her and was sent into treatment.

This all occurred before we started to see each other, and I was in the periphery watching a friend of a friend spiral into a bad place. After treatment, the friend of a friend started to bring George around to attempt to surround himself with more positive influences, and I suspect there was matchmaking involved but I'm pleased with the outcome.

George started to obviously court me, was nothing but kind and genuine, and it's been over three happy years together where he is gainfully employed, renting, and clean. Frankly, the normalcy is sickening. I love it.
I firmly believe that George had a poor relationship model to draw from in his early twenties and was in abusive situations where he needed therapy and a firm support group to raise himself up out of self destructive depression, and my appearance in his life around this time is merely a coincidence. He started to see his family, take care of life, take care of himself, and it was a wonderful change to witness.

His family, though, attributes all this positive change to me and gives George no credit at all. They act like I'm such a good person for being with him. They act like I could do better, or I'm settling for him.
"Better treat her right lest she comes to her senses," or , "she must be patient, kind, and blind!," are statements that I've actually heard from his family and he agrees with them. Part of it is because I'm a relatively popular model and public figure in my area and work with local organizations geared towards people with chronic illnesses, I've been on the news and all that stupid local celebrity stuff and he's a physical laborer, so I've been asked why I don't date the hot weather guy instead. (The hot weather guy is a jerk with bad breath, that's why, and he's scrawny af, and my fiance looks like Leonardo Decaprio and lets me make jokes about sticking stuff up his butt)

His cousin told me recently that it was great that I've "dealt with him" for so long. I was like, "oh, George takes care of me, he's wonderful and patient and loving" and all I got was a condescending look and an, "oh you're so sweet".

I wanted to respond very not nicely, but this is the love of my life and I'm absolutely not better than him. He's the one "dealing with" his partner if anyone's dealing with anyone.

I'm no peach to deal with, either. I'm mentally and chronically ill. I have one of those magnets on my fridge that gives information on who to call other than 911 if a mental health crisis occurs and I have another card in my wallet just in case I disassociate or fugue and if I wanted one, my insurance would cover a bracelet. I get nutritional drinks delivered to my door every week and I see one of my five doctors every six to eight weeks. I have my therapist's cell phone number just in case.

I'm tempted to write a bride speech for the wedding to announce why I honestly will be spending my life with him, and it'll include "he helps me collect my stool samples when I'm too sick to do it and has cleaned up my poop more than once" and "once I disassociated and freaked out and George wrapped me in a blanket to stop me from ripping another chunk of flesh off of my chest and sat on me until the ambulance arrived" or "one time I pooped myself in my favorite skirt and George washed it for me while I was crying on the bathroom floor". -Entirely joking on this front, I'm not hilarious enough to get away with this on my wedding day-

I need to change the way they think. I need to change the way George let's them talk about him. It's honestly a little horrible and I cant imagine how it must chip away at his self confidence.

TL;DR: my partner's family acts as if I'm doing him a favor by being with him? How do I show them that that's not the case? How do I show HIM that it's not the case? tl;dr

Edit: clarification

"And now to Jean Schitzerpants with the traffic."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I know it's OP loving up the mandatory title formatting, but I like to picture her fiance's family as a bunch of literal infants.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I feel this detail deserves emphasizing:

quote:

Tammy texted me an hour ago stating that if I choose to drive her daughter home(?) tomorrow then I should treat her like I treat my own daughter, I think she means I should buy her Starbucks, and if I do not I would "be sorry" as she has contacted her attorney.

"Expect to answer for your refusal to buy my daughter her preferred coffee drink in court!"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

La Brea Carpet posted:

Me [27F] with my fiance's family [00 M/F] acts as if I'm doing him a huge favor by being with him

"And now to Jean Schitzerpants with the traffic."

That's kind of heartwarming, though. :unsmith:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Buzkashi posted:

Tammy is obviously bad but it was really funny seeing how the OP handled the situation in real time so much that the starbucks employees actually had to pay for the crying child's drink out of pocket.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

I call this one "Purposefully Antagonistic"

My boyfriend [25M] and I [24F] work together. He's making work life difficult by being purposely antagonistic to my coworkers. I want him to stop, he says he's "sticking up for himself".

Open your relationship with these other women at work. Then they can convert your boyfriend and you can deal with the relatively simple fallout of your own heart being crushed and stomped on because it sounds like you'd never make a fuss about that either.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Buzkashi posted:

quote:

the Starbucks employee felt bad and paid for her drink.

Every single character in this story is pathetic.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [24f] boyfriend [24m] keeps cooking for me.

quote:

Sounds great, right? Unfortunately, my boyfriend smokes and has no sense of smell and little taste, and doesn't like to shop for ingredients or follow recipes. He likes to experiment with whatever food is on hand, usually leftovers from my cooking and restaurants, and has the stomach for all manner of odd flavor and texture combinations. There are some simple dishes he makes sometimes that I'll usually like but they're usually pretty unhealthy and very over seasoned. That was fine when I was very physically active, it sometimes turned out great or I could just grab a yummy snack later if dinner left my tastebuds unsatisfied.

But I had a physical injury and put some weight back on and still am not ready for the level of activity that used to maintain my previous diet. I'm trying to lose and keep off about ten pounds right now and have been logging calories for a few months. I've told him I prefer to make my own dinners to stay in my nutritional goals for each day. He keeps arguing that he can cook healthy for me but he is terrible at estimating calories and what a "little bit" is. If it does manage to fit in my diet it is terrible. One healthy dinner he presented me was a bowl of mushy elbow noodles boiled with romaine lettuce and topped with shredded carrots, ketchup, sriracha, lemon pepper, salt, more salt, and a variety of other spices. We argued because I ate everything but the noodles and made myself other food. He said it was hypocritical that I didn't like the romaine boiled with elbow noodles because I eat lasagna noodles with spinach. Yes those things are alike but I still have prefereneces that don't include boiled romaine!

I have a hard time letting food go to waste and I'm starting to resent that he still cooks for me when I've explicitly told him I want to cook for myself right now. It doesn't feel like he's doing something nice for me. The idea of coming home to an odd, unappetizing dinner that I won't be able to eat enough of to feel satisfied while staying within my diet is so very, very depressing and I don't know why he keeps sulking because I'd rather make myself a quick salad. All he has to do is make less food when he cooks! I've told him I'd appreciate if he'd make double whatever protein he's making and I'd take care of the side as a compromise but then we started arguing about what a healthy side is.

My boyfriend thinks I'm hypocritically picky with the foods he makes for me because I rarely have a problem when we try foreign or unfamiliar food at restaurants or other people's homes. The thing is... restaurants and other people know how to cook ingredients to the correct temperature or texture and seem to like the same kind of flavor combinations I do. Also not everything can be cooked in a microwave! It's not like there's 0 food I dislike at other people's places, it's just MUCH rarer to happen there because they don't seem to put ketchup on things I don't put ketchup on usually. I even asked him what I could possibly get out of pretending not to like his food and he told me he doesn't know, it just seems weird that I'll try other people's new food but don't want his....

If he likes his cooking that's great, I'm not going to tell him to stop or that he has to use recipes. I'm just trying to eat healthier and get back in shape so I just don't have the room to be eating unhealthy things that I don't even enjoy. I'm even fine if he wants to cook for me 1 night a month or something but he is very stubborn about us alternating weekday dinner nights according to our schedule, so the days I don't get home first there's a salty, starchy, greasy bowl of food waiting for me and a snit if I don't eat it.

How do I get him to STOP making me dinner? I'm fine with him making breakfast or even breakfast for dinner, if he wants because those are pretty good but it's like in one ear and out the other about his experiments because he wants to PROVE I like his fake healthy cooking somehow.

tl;dr: I don't like my boyfriend's cooking and it doesn't fit in with my diet but he won't stop cooking dinner for me when he gets home first. How do I get him to stop taking it personal?
Who wouldn't want noodles with boiled lettuce??

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

Every single character in this story is pathetic.

It's great that she tries to make her original stand via making the 15 year old feel awkward about the situation rather than just talking with the mom. Like she woulda came across a whole lot more sympathetic if she just made a call that explained the situation and Tammy freaked out I woulda been completely on her side, but like trying to publicly embarrass the teenager so hard that some min wage barista just gave them a free drink was not the right approach.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

My [24f] boyfriend [24m] keeps cooking for me.

Who wouldn't want noodles with boiled lettuce??

I like the note where she said he only uses the microwave which raises a lot of questions as to how those noodles got boiled.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Barudak posted:

I like the note where she said he only uses the microwave which raises a lot of questions as to how those noodles got boiled.

You can (kind of) boil water in a microwave. I wouldn't use it for anything other than instant noodles or tea but it would explain why the meal was so bad.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Take the loving dude out for a cooking tutorial / evening then suck his dick right off his body and he'll soon equate good food with good blowjobs.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

will somebody please fix Mirthless, if it made my sister's little yipdog stop humping legs maybe it'll do him some good
I [19F] deleted a customer [50sM] off Facebook, and he's taking it so bad I think it's going to cause problems for me at work.

"She was disabled, unable to walk, and she still ran away from him."

Thread title please.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This one seems as forgettable as they come at first, but then...
Me [40 M] with my wife [40 F] has no privacy MIL [70F]

r/relationships: Unfortunately a lot of the time they are things that are not my fetish

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

La Brea Carpet posted:

He left his first wife after the infidelity, not the multiple stabbings, those were ok.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Universe Master posted:

He left his first wife after the infidelity, not the multiple stabbings, those were ok.

That was just her love language.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Am I the only one who thinks love language sounds creepy as well as an easy way to justify your petty hangups and abuse a relationship?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Me [30M] with my GF [30F] 5-months, GF told me "hates men but likes me" - is this toxic?

quote:

My GF [30F] 5-months told me "I Hate men but I like you". I'm a firm believer in gender equality and I told her that what she said was a pretty toxic and creepy thing to say. She told me it was justified for her to hate men and got extremely angry which ended with her screaming that men can't be feminists.

Am I justified in ending the relationship? Is this a massive red flag? I don't want to be with someone who openly hates men and refuses to apologize for lovely behavior.

?

tl;dr: GF [30F] told me "I hate men but I like you" I told her this wasn't a good thing to say, it's pretty toxic. GF argued and refused to apologize. Should I leave?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

Am I the only one who thinks love language sounds creepy as well as an easy way to justify your petty hangups and abuse a relationship?

No, it's exactly that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Me [30M] with my GF [30F] 5-months, GF told me "hates men but likes me" - is this toxic?

Why leave, youre one of the good ones???

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Me (35F) with my parents (MF 68/65). They are becoming superfans of some band. It's beginning to make our relationship awkward.

quote:

Obligatory throwaway because of reasons, etc.

So... not sure if I'm just being a judgemental bitch, or if this is really worrysome, obsessive behavior by my parents.

My parents are both retired. Early this summer, while at a local event, they encountered this group of street musicians. These guys are professionals, good players, but by no means superstars. They liked their music a lot, and so they decided to also attend the next event they were playing at. Nothing wrong so far, it's not my type of music, but you do you.

Over the course of the summer, this has progressed to 3 to 4 concerts every week. They've bought all their cd's, which are now playing constantly in their home and their car.

Whenever we meet them, these musicians are part of the conversation ; the famous people they've played with, translations of song texts, how much our son enjoyed their performance when they took him (little guy loves music, no complaints there !:)

They now have the band's phone numbers and feel they « have to » attend the concerts, even if it's not convenient for them to do so, or when it's socially awkward that they do. For instance, One of the bands' member also plays a 'before dinner' set in a very posh (as in « there's a world famous star staying here at any given time» hotel nearby. They attend it every week, have a glass of two of wine and then leave, while the other guests proceed to their fine dining, 150$ before wine minimum dinner.

My mom has realized the hotel probably isn't too keen on seeing them, but that hasn't stopped them from going.

All this doesn't really affect me personally, but still, since they bring it up in every conversation we have, I'm not sure anymore how to react.

Should I tell them bluntly I think they're exaggerating? Or do I just let them have their innocent fun ?

tl;dr: My parents are obsessed with a group of musicians. Playing their music all day, every day, and attending concerts 3 times a week. Harmless, or not?

Was hoping for phish personally.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

If my 35 year old son tries to tell my old rear end what to do in my free time he gun get a whoopin'

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

If he hides under a truck for the night she should move on.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

LeafHouse posted:

If my 35 year old son tries to tell my old rear end what to do in my free time he gun get a whoopin'

Seriously, if I'm 68 and going to see a smooth jazz band do covers at the local hotel bar makes me happy, I'm by god doing it 3-4 times a week.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Why would anyone wonder about the fact, that besides men hating women, women could also hate man. I guess it's a more severe form of negative associations or what not. If she is fine with him, gently caress the rest :colbert:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I [M20] found furry porn on my boyfriends [M20] phone. I don't know what to do/how to feel like

quote:

Edit: forgot to mention we've been together for 6 months

Before anyone judges me for going through my boyfriends phone let me preface this. He put me on his Touch ID (I of course returned the favor) saying he has nothing to hide so it's not like he minds. I know that because I looked in his phone before and I told him.

The other day he showed me his one drive, more specifically a folder called "conquered". Surprisingly to me it only contained only one picture. Granted it's still a dick pic of his ex but oh well what can you do. He's quite open about his sexuality and that's something I can live with. While showing me that, we passed a folder with his nudes and he even pointed that out to me so it's not like he was hiding them, we just didn't go through them.

Well tonight I wanted to go through them cause I find my boyfriend hot and I wanted to see what pictures there are.

Needless to say I was satisfied with the results of my journey so far.

However this is where my nosy rear end should've put the phone down and go to sleep. But no, instead I had to look into another folder. In my defense it could've been more nudes, it's not like the folders are labeled "nudes" "porn" "please don't look cause this is freaky" and I didn't want to pass up more butt pictures.

Well I got butt. Lots of it. Covered in hair. And tails. You know just your casual stash of furry porn that everybody has. Right?

There was about 1000 pictures. At least half of it furry, some of it even furry hentai. I didn't go far. If you ask why I guess I wasn't clear that this has me somewhat upset.

I just don't know what to do. There was nothing so far that would suggest that he's into this stuff. I love him and this definitely doesn't change that, however I don't know how to face this. I mean some of those pictures had very close resemblance to actual dogs and I just don't know if I should tell him at all or what to do. I just need some third party perspective on this.

TL;DR: my boyfriend granted me access to his phone, told there are nudes, I found furry porn instead. Need another perspective on this.

This is why A.) You don't store porn and B.) If you do you label your porn folder "Tax documents 2014" or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dress up like a gotdang wolf and rock his world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

La Brea Carpet posted:

I [M20] found furry porn on my boyfriends [M20] phone. I don't know what to do/how to feel like

This is why A.) You don't store porn and B.) If you do you label your porn folder "Tax documents 2014" or something.

I've always enjoyed "Printer Drivers"