Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Majorian posted:

I think that was :thejoke:

Maybe!

I'm just confused as to why the article goes to such length to try point out it's not really "Medicare for all" and comes down on "It's a slow process to get everyone on an expanded version of Medicare." as if that isn't "Medicare for All"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If your plan to pass single payer relies on fair and accurate news coverage...

Fair and accurate coverage (with unnecessary commentary by CATO institute assholes) used to be something NPR, at least could be relied on for.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
When people were talking about cities passing $15 minimum wages, NPR did a story where they interviewed a business owner from that city who had to fire her employees because of the minimum wage increase, and then a business owner from the next town over who couldn't hire anyone because all the employees left for the city with $15. And at no point did they ever address the fact that these two things can't be anywhere near the norm at the same time. They also ran a bunch of stories on how non-profits would have to cut down on services because they wouldn't be able to afford workers at $15. Like, I am pretty sure that every single potential negative side effect of raising the minimum wage was fully explored. I have no doubt they will do the same for healthcare expansion. They rely on donations from big corporations and their listeners are highly educated, middle class and above urbanites. They will get a lot of crap for being liberal on social issues, but they are definitely on the neoliberal to conservative side on matters of economics.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

NPR is consistently apologetic for the status quo and establishment. That combined with the lack of distinction between social justice issues and bougie lifestyle interests was a big part of helping me recognize the disengenuousness of liberal progressivism in the mid 00s. In a way poo poo like Marketplace made me a lefty. Thanks for your donations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

it doesn't cause any harm unless people are deciding not to vote in swing states as a result.

That is exactly what is being encouraged.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

That is exactly what is being encouraged.

title checks out

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

title checks out

Back at ya bro. Some of us actually need to live in the US.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
4 years of trump > 8 of hillary

better luck next time centrists, try an electable candidate

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

NewForumSoftware posted:

1 year of trump > 8 of hillary + 8 years of obama

better luck next time centrists, try an electable candidate

fyp

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Back at ya bro. Some of us actually need to live in the US.

why are you calling me sexy? you a masochist or something?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Condiv posted:

why are you calling me sexy? you a masochist or something?

well is the avatar accurate or not

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

C. Everett Koop posted:

well is the avatar accurate or not

it is, but i don't want that kind of attention from yronic :ohdear:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

it is, but i don't want that kind of attention from yronic :ohdear:

I can't help it accelerationism is just so :gizz:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

I can't help it accelerationism is just so :gizz:

i'm not into any of your sick fetishes yronic :whitewater:

masochism, accelerationism, keep that stuff to yourself thanks. maybe pm call to action he'd probably hook up with you

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 14, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fans posted:

Maybe!

I'm just confused as to why the article goes to such length to try point out it's not really "Medicare for all" and comes down on "It's a slow process to get everyone on an expanded version of Medicare." as if that isn't "Medicare for All"
Also if it was a clean break, with full single payer / public option for everyone immediately upon passage of the bill, they'd complain about changing too much too fast instead.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

joepinetree posted:

When people were talking about cities passing $15 minimum wages, NPR did a story where they interviewed a business owner from that city who had to fire her employees because of the minimum wage increase, and then a business owner from the next town over who couldn't hire anyone because all the employees left for the city with $15. And at no point did they ever address the fact that these two things can't be anywhere near the norm at the same time. They also ran a bunch of stories on how non-profits would have to cut down on services because they wouldn't be able to afford workers at $15. Like, I am pretty sure that every single potential negative side effect of raising the minimum wage was fully explored. I have no doubt they will do the same for healthcare expansion. They rely on donations from big corporations and their listeners are highly educated, middle class and above urbanites. They will get a lot of crap for being liberal on social issues, but they are definitely on the neoliberal to conservative side on matters of economics.

there was a story about it this week on either NPR or MPR for Minnesota where they were saying that 15$/hr was making restaurants skimp on food safety. never before have I been angry at 4am

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

PenguinKnight posted:

there was a story about it this week on either NPR or MPR for Minnesota where they were saying that 15$/hr was making restaurants skimp on food safety. never before have I been angry at 4am

They're FORCED to break the drat law and make people sick to pay you damned peasants more!!! What kind of monsters are you?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/06/anyone-who-says-they-cant-pay-15-an-hour-is-a-lying-swine

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

PenguinKnight posted:

How!?

Based on my experience, the average owner would sooner kill customers than let employees stand still or go unharassed.

gently caress you, NPR

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Breakfast All Day posted:

NPR is consistently apologetic for the status quo and establishment. That combined with the lack of distinction between social justice issues and bougie lifestyle interests was a big part of helping me recognize the disengenuousness of liberal progressivism in the mid 00s. In a way poo poo like Marketplace made me a lefty. Thanks for your donations.

i want to hear an alternate universe kai ryssdal doing a soviet marketplace about gosplan's latest achievements

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Accretionist posted:

How!?

Based on my experience, the average owner would sooner kill customers than let employees stand still or go unharassed.

gently caress you, NPR

Mitt Romney was right in that centrist garbage like NPR/PBS need to be killed off.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PenguinKnight posted:

hahahahahahahhahahahaha this is so much fuckin bullshit restaurants would literally rather burn to the ground than not treat employees like poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C. Everett Koop posted:

Mitt Romney was right in that centrist garbage like NPR/PBS need to be killed off.

if you kill pbs where does sesame street go

exactly

shut the gently caress up until you find a place for sesame street to go

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The PSA guys had a pretty subtle and likely unintentional dig at Hillary. They essentially said that if they had lost to McCain in 08 they'd probably feel as bitter as the Hillary people are at Bernie. This after saying that she was being unfair to him and how hard he campaigned. Which is probably as close as they are going to get to calling bullshit on her "I was totally nice in 08" .

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

if you kill pbs where does sesame street go

exactly

shut the gently caress up until you find a place for sesame street to go

sesame street's already recognized the way the world is going and sold itself to hbo. it can also live on the web or just go into reruns so they don't feel the need to whore themselves out to dumbasses like jack black. pbs can die in a fire.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C. Everett Koop posted:

sesame street's already recognized the way the world is going and sold itself to hbo. it can also live on the web or just go into reruns so they don't feel the need to whore themselves out to dumbasses like jack black. pbs can die in a fire.

They're still going to broadcast new episodes on PBS, just on a delay. Hbo funding pbs shows isn't new either, they put up money for Charlie rose. Making it less accessible to low income families is terrible

Also sesame going into reruns would be terrible what the hell

Ideally pbs would just show sesame Street and Mr Rogers all the time, in my perfect world.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They're still going to broadcast new episodes on PBS, just on a delay. Hbo funding pbs shows isn't new either, they put up money for Charlie rose. Making it less accessible to low income families is terrible

Also sesame going into reruns would be terrible what the hell

Ideally pbs would just show sesame Street and Mr Rogers all the time, in my perfect world.

Accessibility isn't the issue it was 30 years ago. PBS did a service then, it's obsolete now.

The less Jack Black on any screen, mine or otherwise, the better.

In my more cynical moods, I've thought that Fred Rogers did a disservice by teaching children that they are loved in a cold, unforgiving world and that by pulling the wool over their eyes he created adults who weren't fully mentally equipped to handle reality, who had their own children and the cycle continued.

I really don't like the idea that Mr. Rogers was Always Bad but gently caress if it ain't starting to come true...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What the gently caress is wrong with you

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Mr Rogers also talked about divorce, disability and terminal disease to kids. Like Sesame Street with death and autism, he actually did teach kids about some necessary things. Bad on the networks for either pulling these episodes or heavily suppressing their distribution.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

C. Everett Koop posted:

Accessibility isn't the issue it was 30 years ago. PBS did a service then, it's obsolete now.

In my more cynical moods, I've thought that Fred Rogers did a disservice by teaching children that they are loved in a cold, unforgiving world and that by pulling the wool over their eyes he created adults who weren't fully mentally equipped to handle reality, who had their own children and the cycle continued.

I really don't like the idea that Mr. Rogers was Always Bad but gently caress if it ain't starting to come true...

Are you OK?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

You are literally a nonperson. Holy gently caress, go rediscover your soul you broken loving goon.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

C. Everett Koop posted:

N...nice meltdown?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

C. Everett Koop posted:

lol

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

:same:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kokoro Wish posted:

Mr Rogers also talked about divorce, disability and terminal disease to kids. Like Sesame Street with death and autism, he actually did teach kids about some necessary things. Bad on the networks for either pulling these episodes or heavily suppressing their distribution.

Mr Rogers in general was the nicest man to ever walk on this planet and I'll be goddamned if any exposure to him is bad exposure

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

C. Everett Koop posted:

lol, so good

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you weren't too scared by those fuckin' puppets to listen to the nice man as a child I don't know what's wrong with you.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm sorry sir, we no longer have the 'super size' option.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Marxalot posted:

I'm hoping it's one final cash grab before she retires.

hopefully

but one of them has to have some real tangible power if their foundation is going to grift them to billionaire status

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Fair and accurate coverage (with unnecessary commentary by CATO institute assholes) used to be something NPR, at least could be relied on for.

My favorite was the Planet Money episode on ISIS, where the hosts got more upset about the abuse of eminent domain than anything else

It's always been hot neoliberal garbage, good for background noise and not much more

• Locked thread