Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That sounds like fanfiction. What happened to the good Scarlet Spider I remembered where he just raged at Houston for being garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Someone decided we needed Ben Reilly to come back.

I mean, in the interests of fairness someone decided that Kaine should come back and get his own series and that turned out pretty great. But swing and a miss this time.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Archyduke posted:

Gurihiru are a really talented team, too. It's one of those books where the writing really does shine but the bloom goes off the rose a little when it's an art fill-in. See Adrian Alphona on Runaways or, uh, Adrian Alphona on Ms. Marvel, or Erica Henderson on Squirrel Girl. It's just a great book to look at, and I feel like in the last few issues in particular they've done some super fun and clever layout stuff that amplifies the meta stuff without, I don't know, stepping on Chris Hastings' toes I guess?

Hastings probably storyboards things really well, because he drew all of Dr. McNinja.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Writers who are also artists are always the best at scripting with art in mind. For example, Alan Moore and Grant Morrison. Then again, Bendis is an artist too, but his idiosyncratic style sometimes doesn't always serve the particular artists he works with on his big superhero books that well. It does extremely well when he's working with someone who meshes with that though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nilbop posted:

That sounds like fanfiction. What happened to the good Scarlet Spider I remembered where he just raged at Houston for being garbage?

If they wanted to do another comic set in Houston, it would have to star Namor.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
More Kaine, no more Ben Reilly. Fans got monkey pawed like a mofo on that trade.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, I went through a real rise and fall of hope reading that spoiler and thinking for a second that Ben Reilly would explode and suddenly Scarlet Spider would be Kaine's book again.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Gwenpool is a super meta book but it's the rare super meta book that actually feels heartfelt and honest and I appreciate it for that.

It also helps that her supporting cast are pretty great. Batroc was a nice commentary on how long-standing characters might retread the same stories again and again, but it still matters and it's not pointless. Mega Tony is like "what if Peter Parker never got his spider powers and the confidence boost, and had to deal with student college loans?" and looks cute and cuddly.

And Terrible Eye is just amazing. :allears:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

KaosMachina posted:

So, the only thing you need to know about Ben Reiley: Scarlet Spider this week is that it ends on a nearly literal deus ex machina.

The lady who killed Kaine turns out to be actual, capital D Death, she then says Ben Reiley is unique because he's been getting more and more unhinged because souls aren't supposed to go back and forth from heaven/earth and his will explode and leave him a soulless monster if he dies again. She then tries to get him to choose between Kaine and the girl he wants to save, he says he'll pick himself and when she says no he punches her and tries to get her to force the issue, she then laughs and says this was fun and gives both kaine and the girl their lives back, and also apparently heals all the scarring off his and Kaine's faces to boot.

This book feels like it was editorially mandated that it exist and certain things happen and I hate it.

Honestly to me it felt like Peter David making the best of an editorially-mandated situation (i.e. Ben Reilly's return) while bringing in stuff he was doing back on Captain Marvel (RIP Genis-Vell).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not sure how anything in that synopsis sounds like something editorial would mandate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

It also helps that her supporting cast are pretty great. Batroc was a nice commentary on how long-standing characters might retread the same stories again and again, but it still matters and it's not pointless. Mega Tony is like "what if Peter Parker never got his spider powers and the confidence boost, and had to deal with student college loans?" and looks cute and cuddly.

And Terrible Eye is just amazing. :allears:

Terrible Eye is no poo poo the character I want to remain around for a long time.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm not sure how anything in that synopsis sounds like something editorial would mandate.

No, I'm saying that since editorial said "write Ben Reilly" Peter David sat down and thought a bit and then went hey wait a second I had Rick Jones' wife turn out to be an avatar of Death for a while there, didn't I? Lemme see what I can do with that.

Like, it might still suck, but at least it sucks as a logical extension of his past stories and not just from out of nowhere, is my point.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

oh.

I misunderstood you, sorry.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

So, about those December solicits:

AVENGERS #674
WORLDS COLLIDE Part 5
• As Earth and Counter-Earth begin to approach one another, the Avengers/Champions team must find some way to avert dual global catastrophes!
Rated T+

CHAMPIONS #15
WORLDS COLLIDE Part 6
• The Champions/Avengers team faces its first real casualty in their ongoing struggle to prevent two planets from colliding - and that fatality changes the game!
• The conclusion of WORLDS COLLIDE!
Rated T+

...Didn't we JUST do this?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Martinpale posted:

So, about those December solicits:

AVENGERS #674
WORLDS COLLIDE Part 5
• As Earth and Counter-Earth begin to approach one another, the Avengers/Champions team must find some way to avert dual global catastrophes!
Rated T+

CHAMPIONS #15
WORLDS COLLIDE Part 6
• The Champions/Avengers team faces its first real casualty in their ongoing struggle to prevent two planets from colliding - and that fatality changes the game!
• The conclusion of WORLDS COLLIDE!
Rated T+

...Didn't we JUST do this?

Ideas! Ideas! We need to find more ideas! Ah, this one looks good...*redoes Secret Wars*

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Apparently Mark Waid is dropping off, and a new writer is taking over at 675.

I think it's probably Jason Aaron.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm good with that. There's nothing too memorable about Waid's run for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

Terrible Eye is no poo poo the character I want to remain around for a long time.

I absolutely adore Terrible Eye and want her to become a mainstay. She and Nico can go to Goth night together, and Wanda and her can bond over your powers making you kinda nuts.

Man, I loved pre CW2 Avengers, and was sad it never captured that magic again.

So when will Gwenpool start crossing over with Squirrel Girl? That seems like a match made in heaven. Plus if I was trying to find out how to be real hero, Doreen would be my first choice of mentor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I no lie want to see Terrible Eye's Sorcerer Supreme What If book.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

KaosMachina posted:

Didn't the Red Skull also have Cap's body for a while? So even that's not that original?

While that was a clone, there's always The Grand Director for your "Steve Rogers, star of actual Captain America comics, is now a Neo-Nazi ally of Dr. Faustus" needs. So you're right that it's not that original either way. I mean, sure, thanks to a retcon that's a different guy named Willaim Burnside who is identical and legally changed his name rather than the original Steve, but hey.

I sort of want Burnside and HydraCap to have to deal with one another now. It should definitely be some sort of buddy cop comedy though.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Zoro posted:

Ideas! Ideas! We need to find more ideas! Ah, this one looks good...*redoes Secret Wars*

I would 100% be down for Marvel to be just like 'gently caress it, let's just bring back Mapmakers and Ivory Kings and Black Priests' and make all their books push for more cosmic poo poo.

Also make Ultimates 2 their main title and/or make Galactus' cosmic squad the main focus.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
That would require Marvel to make good decisions for their big events, and their focal titles, which you cannot argue they have had a poor track record since Secret Wars 2

Edit: I forgot it's actually Secret Wars 3 since there was an event called Secret Wars 2 already

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best crossover events of the past 15 years or so were Secret Wars by Hickman and Annihilation because those are the ones where the good guys fought the bad guys instead of turning bad themselves or fighting each other.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

The best crossover events of the past 15 years or so were Secret Wars by Hickman and Annihilation because those are the ones where the good guys fought the bad guys instead of turning bad themselves or fighting each other.

Doom has done nothing more than save whatever universes are left from the destruction of the multiverse. Stories of Doom being an usurper of power and being secretly evil are nothing more than slander propagated by the accursed Richards. :doom:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

KaosMachina posted:

That would require Marvel to make good decisions for their big events, and their focal titles, which you cannot argue they have had a poor track record since Secret Wars 2

Edit: I forgot it's actually Secret Wars 3 since there was an event called Secret Wars 2 already

And there was a Secret Wars 3 (it was a story arc in the Fantastic Four.)
So it should be Secret Wars 4: The Quest for Peace.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Secret Wars 4 : this one's actually quite good

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Any book with Doom as the real hero is good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The other Earth in the crossover is probably counter Earth since the High Evolutionary is involved.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

The Question IRL posted:

And there was a Secret Wars 3 (it was a story arc in the Fantastic Four.)
So it should be Secret Wars 4: The Quest for Peace.

There was also that mini where fury hired wolverine, spidey, and....some a couple of other guys to covertly sneak into dooms castle for something and then there was some fallout if some kind (memory is super vague) that was also called Secret Wars.

(and for some reason Fury's idea of stealth superheroes is the same exact costume but in all black)

So it's Secret Wars part V: A New Beginning?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That was actually just Secret War, singular.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I love that Secret Wars is just a consistently meaningless term made by putting the two most popular words for twelve-year-old boys together. No real hiding, and most fights are just slightly larger than average. Or powerful people talking. Even if there is a war, it's mostly off panel.

BTW the fallout for Secret War was Nick Fury going in to hiding, which made his job in Secret Invasion more complicated.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zoro posted:

It's kinda funny cuz that's what secret empire was. Two intertwining stories, one featuring a secret cabal trying to cause world altering events, combine into a major event where the bad guy takes over and makes the world/country how he wants it. The final showdown happens because the physical manifestation of a reality manipulating power decides to place the bad guy on equal footing as the good guy

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
So what is the post-Secret Empire marvel canon? It is still in the books that the US lost WW2 and rewrote reality? And that cap truly was a hydra agent this entire time?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

So what is the post-Secret Empire marvel canon? It is still in the books that the US lost WW2 and rewrote reality? And that cap truly was a hydra agent this entire time?

Some people believe that and thats all that really matters.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess technically but wasn't a huge chunk of the lead-in to Secret Wars about the Illuminati becoming increasingly more and more morally compromised, and wasn't, like, the last page before reality was remade Captain America and Iron Man murdering each other?

It's been awhile but I feel like your description more accurately describes Infinity-- it's been awhile but I recall it being a pretty unambiguous war against unambiguously bad bad guys, without a ton of conflicts among the superheroes themselves.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

That was actually just Secret War, singular.

I'm just so tired of all these Secret Wars.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Open Marriage Night posted:

The other Earth in the crossover is probably counter Earth since the High Evolutionary is involved.

Marvel solicitation copy posted:

AVENGERS #674
WORLDS COLLIDE Part 5
Rated T+
I think you're onto something...

Nick Spencer's on the record saying the following:

quote:

Now, if you’re loyal to Hydra, you believe that this world was stolen from you. You believe that your side won World War II, that you were on the verge of taking over the world, and the allies used the Cosmic Cube to change history.

We know that’s not true. We know that was a manifestation of Kobik, but if you’re Hydra and you choose to believe this now you’re not really fighting to take over the world. You’re fighting to take back the world. That was one of the things we get out this that we really liked. We got more of a firmed up ideology for Hydra that’s rooted in this belief in this alternate history that Kobik created.
This really wasn't clear from the text because all of Kobik's "manifestations" made remarkably little sense and had some weird butterfly effects: Baron Zemo's reality/memories apparently weren't altered, he lived the exact same life he has been shown to live in the comics, he just "chooses to believe" what Nazsteve told him. So despite multiple flashbacks to Zemo Jr. growing up in the 1930s and being Nazsteve's best friend and having a close relationship to his dad and etc. etc. etc. none of that happened, but Zemo "remembers" it and Kobik actually transported Zemo Jr. and Bucky back in time to relive events that didn't actually happen, also Madame Hydra (this Madame Hydra) never existed or appeared or was mentioned prior to Kobik "manifesting" and one could properly assume that she was a creation of Kobik except in the same interview Spencer says she's real and he hopes more creators will explore her history, which as best as I can tell doesn't exist.

Also Scarlet Spider is hilarious.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Archyduke posted:

I guess technically but wasn't a huge chunk of the lead-in to Secret Wars about the Illuminati becoming increasingly more and more morally compromised, and wasn't, like, the last page before reality was remade Captain America and Iron Man murdering each other?

It's been awhile but I feel like your description more accurately describes Infinity-- it's been awhile but I recall it being a pretty unambiguous war against unambiguously bad bad guys, without a ton of conflicts among the superheroes themselves.

All the super heroes teamed up at the end of both Avengers and New Avengers, except Steve and Tony. Hell, even Thanos and Mr. Sinister pitched in to fight Doom at the very end.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

If i actually parsed the story correctly, which since it's such a fuckin' mess i might've not, that rewrite was never earth-wide. That was only what kobik made Steve believe had happened, and when he became dictator of the us he basically pushed that lie through propaganda and miseducation (like in se1 where the kid asks why they were taught one thing last year but now they're being taught this other thing).

The omega issue was naziCap basically saying that it may have been a lie to everyone other than him but Nazis will run with that story regardless because it fuels their narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

site posted:

If i actually parsed the story correctly, which since it's such a fuckin' mess i might've not, that rewrite was never earth-wide. That was only what kobik made Steve believe had happened, and when he became dictator of the us he basically pushed that lie through propaganda and miseducation (like in se1 where the kid asks why they were taught one thing last year but now they're being taught this other thing).

The omega issue was naziCap basically saying that it may have been a lie to everyone other than him but Nazis will run with that story regardless because it fuels their narrative

Can we just get that giant hollow missile bullet from Breakworld, stuff NazSteve in there and shoot it off to either the Sun or the CancerVerse and just do what Marvel does best and forget lovely events happened? I'd even be okay with just to Poochi him out of existing.

• Locked thread