Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wait do we have a poster in here who has actually never heard a Suffocation record?

Morbid.. Angel? What are they, some kind of Morbid Saint tribute band? :D Will check 'em out though, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I know people love Cattle Decapitation, but man I just don't get it. Seen 'em live a few times and the singer's schtick is just annoying.

It's me. I'm grumpy dad.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cattle Decapitation is a band I get really into for a week or two and then realize I don't like them and go back to listening to Manilla Road or Slough Feg or something better.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wait do we have a poster in here who has actually never heard a Suffocation record?

Also, minority opinion here, but I don't get the hype for Artificial Brain.

Also also, I missed that Ghoul are also on that GWAR bill. That sounds fun as hell

Death metal isn't really my thing. Gorguts, Death, and Behemoth (blackened death metal, I know) are pretty much it for me.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

See Suffocation.

also Decrepit Birth owns

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

GiveUpNed posted:

Which of these shows are worth going to? I'm currently checking out: Dark Tranquility, Cattle Decapitation, Black Dahlia Murder, Gwar, and Ne Obliviscaris. Are Archspire, Aggression, and Dirkschneider worth checking out?

I work with a member of Aggression. He's good people so go see them.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I really like Cattle Decapitation, especially the most recent 2 albums. Solid riffs and nice variety in the vocals basically.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So apparently Mgła are working on a new album.

I am okay with this.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Nordick posted:

So apparently Mgła are working on a new album.

I am okay with this.

Oh good, I was worried I wouldn't have an album of the year this year

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Smirr posted:

Morbid.. Angel? What are they, some kind of Morbid Saint tribute band? :D Will check 'em out though, thanks

I enjoyed this post a lot.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The new Myrkur album is out, and it's different.

There's considerably more English vocals on the album which is fine, but the lyrics aren't amazing. The couple of tracks with Chelsea Wolfe are pretty cool. It's certainly building off what she did with M, but still lacks the rawness of the Mykur EP that I enjoyed so much.

I've only given it one listen, but I'll definitely give it another few spins before I decide how I feel about it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Anybody here like Mother Brain?

edit: Here's a link - https://motherbrain666.bandcamp.com/album/rise-and-grind-7

joem83 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 15, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

COOL CORN posted:

Oh good, I was worried I wouldn't have an album of the year this year
I dunno if it's coming this year though, I was just going by this facebook post of theirs:

quote:

The two years following release of "Exercises in futility" have been intense in live activity. Apart an one off performance scheduled for December 2017 in Warsaw/Poland, we have temporarily put this aspect of Mgła on hold in order to focus on studio work.

We will return to live activity once new material has been released.
That said, if it turns out to be anything like Exercises in Futility, it'll certainly be in my top albums of the year list of whichever year it comes out.

If it did come out this year it'd have a hell of a time beating the last Havukruunu though. Holy dick that album rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4KsuiZABuU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Revocation and Full of Hell, skip Cattle Decapitation

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Oh my god. The new Ensiferum album is hot garbage.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

joylessdivision posted:

The new Myrkur album is out, and it's different.

There's considerably more English vocals on the album which is fine, but the lyrics aren't amazing. The couple of tracks with Chelsea Wolfe are pretty cool. It's certainly building off what she did with M, but still lacks the rawness of the Mykur EP that I enjoyed so much.

I've only given it one listen, but I'll definitely give it another few spins before I decide how I feel about it.

I really like it - more than the previous stuff but I think specifically because it is as far as she's gotten from the "black metal" genre ( or at least tag ) and any "rawness" there may have been. This is very much an eclectic album and the songs are pretty eclectic too, it's like a kind of depressive mash up of genres and songs only tied together by her vocals and melodies. I think this album is probably much closer to her actual style - rather than her trying to make a "black metal album" instead she's just doing whatever she wants. The standout tracks are probably Ulvinde and Elleskudt though which are the "metal" ones, but they all have something to offer.

It is kind of chaotic though and I think because of that this album will be really hit or miss with people.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
From a completely separate genre: New Caligula's Horse is finally out. It's good: less mellow than Bloom and more like the album before it. Here's another single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Wgxj5-q98
As a prog nerd, this is probably my AotY so far, pending some more listens. Apologies for interrupting your black metal discussions.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 15, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The clapping in the new Mastodon song really does it for me. It's a great track. I need the rest of this ep.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Incoherence posted:

From a completely separate genre: New Caligula's Horse is finally out. It's good: less mellow than Bloom and more like the album before it. Here's another single:
As a prog nerd, this is probably my AotY so far, pending some more listens. Apologies for interrupting your black metal discussions.

It's so so so good, and I really thought Leprous had AOTY in the bag.

The new contortionist is also out and is also excellent too!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

GiveUpNed posted:

Which of these shows are worth going to? I'm currently checking out: Dark Tranquility, Cattle Decapitation, Black Dahlia Murder, Gwar, and Ne Obliviscaris. Are Archspire, Aggression, and Dirkschneider worth checking out?

Dear Lord, Archspire and NeO in the same tour holy loving poo poo I wish I could go

E: wait I'm an idiot and misread but yeah i would go for both of those. Archspire is cool as gently caress and you should check them out if you have ever been a fan of techdeath

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 16, 2017

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Incoherence posted:

This owns. Reminds me of Subsignal. Thanks for the link!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Dude, go see Dirkschneider. That little fire hydrant man has more energy than any twenty bands you can think of.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've been having a lovely day, but then Bolt Thrower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC-Sn53UMCA

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I harassed a bunch of coworkers with Cenotaph blasting today. :feelsgood:

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
At first light would be a good Cannabis Corpse song, wait.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

stab posted:

I work with a member of Aggression. He's good people so go see them.

That's a good enough reason to see them.

Fenrir posted:

Archspire is cool as gently caress and you should check them out if you have ever been a fan of techdeath

I really like tech death, so sold!

Oldstench posted:

Dude, go see Dirkschneider. That little fire hydrant man has more energy than any twenty bands you can think of.

I really like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3TlrZLpQ0 by Accept. My older friend who I go to metal and jazz shows with says the show will be worth checking out. Looks like I'm going to every show on this list now. :megadeath:

It just gets expensive, as I try to buy as many shirts as I can as it supports the bands. That said, I like buying new shirts, so... :P

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hey no one told me there was a new Gruesome! :45 in and we're already dealing with a riff that makes me wanna get rowdy. Ugh loving love osdm so much. Why are these dudes so good at writing Death songs.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
because Matt Harvey is writing them riffs

e: listen to Yautja https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhYrNVxvvcQ

one of the best active drummers right now IMO

Weaponized Cum fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 17, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

He's a beautiful very important man

He made a synthwave soundtrack album this year too? Hell yeah

Might as well add the new Exhumed to my backlog too

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 16, 2017

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Snowy posted:

I harassed a bunch of coworkers with Cenotaph blasting today. :feelsgood:

With all of the bands unfit for polite society, I could've had fun with the office radio at my last job.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

For you funeral doom fans, the new album from Mesmur is sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxfBzkOmjU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think the smoking section at Arcturus was 100% vapes.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think the smoking section at Arcturus was 100% vapes.

That sounds oddly appropriate.

How we're they live? I like Vortex's vocals but he seems to go a bit overboard with Arcturus and I have a hard time taking it seriously.

I prefer Garm in Arcturus but I just really like his vocals in general.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

joylessdivision posted:

That sounds oddly appropriate.

How we're they live? I like Vortex's vocals but he seems to go a bit overboard with Arcturus and I have a hard time taking it seriously.

I prefer Garm in Arcturus but I just really like his vocals in general.

They were excellent, but it depends what you like about Arcturus I guess. Mostly stuff from La Masquerade, Sideshow Symphonies and Arcturian with a couple of tracks off Aspera Hiems Symfonia. It's really good to hear the La Masquerade stuff with a fuller live sound because that album's not produced too well and if anything it sounds even more chaotic. Supported by Blood Incantation who I've just decided are excellent.

edit: It was a really nice show actually and you could tell that it was kind of therapeutic to them. Last time they came to my city was ten years ago, my city was the last show on their tour and they literally announced their breakup the next day. In 2007 he opened by saying "this is the last show of Arcturus" and last night he opened with "this will not be the last show of Arcturus."

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 18, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Oldstench posted:

This guy knows whats up!

Seriously, Udo was already in his sixties when I saw him with Accept, and it was amazing.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Incoherence posted:

Just listened to this, I didn't realise Jim Grey from Arkane was in another band (to be fair, I've only heard Known/Learned from Arkane). I think he's becoming one of my favourite clean metal vocalists, his style sounds like it should be overwrought and cheesy but somehow comes off as honest and passionate. The musicianship and composition is great too, thanks for posting it!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
So just saw megadeth for the 12th time.

Highlights or comedy hour:

First rock show at a new venue

Traffic is a clusterfuck..two hours and change to get in the venue and find parking

They go on at show start sharp. Literally 2-3 thousand people walk in during their set (they werent headlining, the scorpions were haha)

Dave shuts down the show after the first song hangar 18 cause the sound check was batshit off

Then complains that they had to cut a song out of their set.....which they got 45 minutes.

Than ellefson says hello to the wrong city (img springfield simpsons guitar tape)

Then after all those issues and their set getting cut, Scorpions make the fans wait 45 minutes before starting, rendering the set cut useless.

In good news, Megadeth kicked rear end once again, and literally there was an exodus from the building before the Scorpions came on.

Not their greatest show i went to see obviously, but fun as gently caress for the small amount of time they got (some of the songs they didnt play blew my mind...aka no In My Darkest Hour or Wake up Dead or Tornado of Souls)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

stab posted:

So just saw megadeth for the 12th time.

Highlights or comedy hour:

First rock show at a new venue

Traffic is a clusterfuck..two hours and change to get in the venue and find parking

They go on at show start sharp. Literally 2-3 thousand people walk in during their set (they werent headlining, the scorpions were haha)

Dave shuts down the show after the first song hangar 18 cause the sound check was batshit off

Then complains that they had to cut a song out of their set.....which they got 45 minutes.

Than ellefson says hello to the wrong city (img springfield simpsons guitar tape)

Then after all those issues and their set getting cut, Scorpions make the fans wait 45 minutes before starting, rendering the set cut useless.

In good news, Megadeth kicked rear end once again, and literally there was an exodus from the building before the Scorpions came on.

Not their greatest show i went to see obviously, but fun as gently caress for the small amount of time they got (some of the songs they didnt play blew my mind...aka no In My Darkest Hour or Wake up Dead or Tornado of Souls)

I realize Megadeth is not Metallica, but it doesn't really seem like a band that should be opening for another band, let alone the Scorpions. That's a weird combo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that tour is coming through here too. You’d think it would be a joint headliner with them switching back and forth at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if Dave considers Scorpions to be personal heroes or something. Plus they have big hits.