Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Burkion posted:

We really going to label some one as stupid for being religious?

Really?

In 2017 no less? Not even the bad kind of religious, where he's espousing harmful views that hurt people. The normal kind where he just does his own thing and doesn't bother anyone and some times works the imagery into his own work when he can

Zack Snyder: There's a big beard man in the sky.

Me: No there's not.

Zack Snyder: gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Do we know what kind of Christian?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Quiverfull.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Matthew Vaughn said he had talks about directing Superman

Logan is the first Oscar DVD screener sent to AMPAS.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I forgot he was the titular character in We Need To Talk About Kevin and now it's all I can see.
We definitely need a scene where Flash intentionally shits his pants while making eye contact with Wonder Woman the whole time.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

porfiria posted:

Zack Snyder: There's a big beard man in the sky.

Me: No there's not.

Zack Snyder: gently caress.

2004 called, it wants its edgy takes back

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The MSJ posted:

New promo picture of Barry Allen in his pad.

All I see is Buff Summer beating the gently caress out of the Devil.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How old is Barry Allen supposed to be?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hodgepodge posted:

2004 called, it wants its edgy takes back

Yeah? Well, the Jerkstore called and they want you back. There's a product recall on you, you're not jerky enough. You...you're a nice guy. You're really solid and there for your friends. You mean a lot to me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

hiddenriverninja posted:

How old is Barry Allen supposed to be?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Watchmen is a story of repugnant people with varying character flaws using their vigilantism to enforce their ethics on the world at large running headlong into each other until they reach a new, morally reprehensible detente. The film deftly captures this, and as such is a great adaptation.

Dr. Strange has a fun final bossfight undermined by the visual effects of the pocket dimensions having, ultimately, no role in how fights play out making them elaborate screensavers. Oh, and its painfully eager to tell a joke whenever it gets even a tinge of emotion and comes across like a child trying to tell a story but not wanting to admit it has emotional responses.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

King Crab posted:

Do people get so uptight about Snyder because he is handsome, buff and a big nerd who loves his work?

Are they all just jealous?

I honestly think this is part of it, while nerds instinctively like Whedon since, despite being wealthy and successful, he looks like the microwaved offcuts of Conan O'Brien

Cerepol posted:

Truly the most annoying thing about this thread, is the reversal into glorifying the human that is Zack Snyder instead of just discussing his work. Not that y'all don't do that, occasionally someone dips into how manly he is as if that is relevant or anything.

My director can beat up your director.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The fact that the "Not my Superman" crowd think of him as "my Superman" is a big indicator that they had a sense of ownership over the character and were always going to measure the film against their personal pre-conceived notions. Any deviation from their idea of what the character must be like (even if he figured himself out and grew into the classic ideal version of Superman by the end of the film) was going to be seen as a betrayal.

Man of Steel is a movie who's critics hate it, but struggle to articulate why while proposing fixes that would inevitably make the film far worse. Glance at any Cracked article where the film is mentioned to get an idea.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Anyway Snyder's Big Artistic Film was Sucker Punch, a movie that pretends to do one thing while actually (clumsily) doing another.

I'm curious to know which was which.

porfiria posted:

Yeah? Well, the Jerkstore called and they want you back. There's a product recall on you, you're not jerky enough. You...you're a nice guy. You're really solid and there for your friends. You mean a lot to me.

A good post.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

Oh, and its painfully eager to tell a joke whenever it gets even a tinge of emotion and comes across like a child trying to tell a story but not wanting to admit it has emotional responses.

Almost every mainstream movie has done this for over a decade, it's really annoying, especially when kids movies do it. No wonder kids dont know how to handle sadness irl anymore

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Almost every mainstream movie has done this for over a decade, it's really annoying, especially when kids movies do it. No wonder kids dont know how to handle sadness irl anymore

I remember back when kids were perfectly well equipped to deal with sadness. That was definitely a period of time that actually existed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

From about the 50's to the 90's psychics were taken EXTREMELY seriously in the US, to the point of aiding police investigations.

Hence James Randi going to war with them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dont even fink about it posted:

Hence James Randi going to war with them.

The Australian police recently posted a very large reward for info that might help solve a child murder case but in the press release they had to ask that people stop reporting their dreams or psychic visions.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

1950 - 2000, the era of sad kids movies and psychic police.

truly a different time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Australian police recently posted a very large reward for info that might help solve a child murder case but in the press release they had to ask that people stop reporting their dreams or psychic visions.
Yeah but that's just cause psychic dreams are pretty much cheating, it ruins the fun.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

I honestly think this is part of it, while nerds instinctively like Whedon since, despite being wealthy and successful, he looks like the microwaved offcuts of Conan O'Brien

I hit a bit of a plateau a few months ago, I had been not really sticking to a solid routine and just working on my weak areas which caused some slight imbalance etc you know how it is. However, thanks to a debut of a new routine and the fact that I've moved to a new flat where the gym is pretty much next door I'm hitting it four times a week instead of three which I used to do. I'm also finding more time to do HITT cardio, which I would previously make excuses to avoid but am now starting to enjoy.

Point is, I'm improving on my lifts and looking pretty good if I do say so myself, but I still don't like Batman V Superman and quite like The Avengers. At what point in my progress will the switch around occur?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It sounds like it's too late for you if you prefer The Avengers. Did you suffer head trauma at any point? Any ocular damage?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

well why not posted:

It sounds like it's too late for you if you prefer The Avengers. Did you suffer head trauma at any point? Any ocular damage?

Uh, I've done very, very brief bits of boxing because a friend of mine is very much into it, I only went with him a few times and, as a beginner, was only really hit in the body during sparring and not in the head and even then not very hard. So, no not really. I walked into a door once when I was a lot younger, but that was just a bump on the head.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I would enjoy seeing Karloff try to explain how the Avengers are totally not unpleasant and fascist as opposed to grimdark BvS.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The whole comic fan thing hating Snyder probably has to do with a couple insecurities too. The fanatics have invested so much into the material for their own reasons that now they're facing Snyder who has better understanding and ability to deliver a complex story, present it and attempt to explore something beyond what the fanboy can think of - but one that may question or defy whatever the nerd felt and is trying to hold on to so it's challenging them. There's a bit of jealousy in that too. Marvel never really gets that much in depth of exploring themes or questioning things beyond the superficial and it's more easily digestible so it doesn't poke at the fanatic's understanding of what they believe of the material. And Whedon's is so limited for film he can just deliver the basics and be praised for it. Ang Lee's Hulk may be a flawed film but it did so much better for the Hulk, film, comics, and respected the material than anything Marvel's done and tried to get into the guts of things. But that didn't meet expectation versus Hulk punching Thor and bashing like CG toys. There's room for fun, hell yeah, but it doesn't need to be the end all.

*shock Superman snapped a neck and we see the horror of what would happen if my childhood heroes actually fought and the consequences???* NOT MY SUPERMAN!! Where is the hope?!? Where are my warm fuzzy feelings when Batman punches poor desperate homeless in the street with his Batmobile?

Hence SuperMechaGodzilla is right, comic fans don't actually love art or the comics or the material, they just love their own understanding and feeling of it and want to protect that and feel they have to defend it cause someone else isn't getting what they're getting out of it. They get insecure cause it has whatever value to them and now it's openly being questioned and prodded at so they have to run to defend it. I don't usually see the same kind of ingrained defenses against Dramas like, say Split which people can get into and really try to discuss themes and such or other movies versus SciFi/Comic Book movies that have a large fanbase because when a film is presented as art people debate and try to understand it. I guess it's when it becomes an institution like Star Wars or Trek or whatever that it happens.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I would enjoy seeing Karloff try to explain how the Avengers are totally not unpleasant and fascist as opposed to grimdark BvS.

I am sure you would! No doubt you'd have some choice screenshots to post in response. But, perhaps another time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There are people in the movie discussion forum whose ire is raised if screenshots from movies are posted, especially if it's from franchises and directors they like.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not dealing honestly with emotion worked for Dr Strange tho.

Also I think a lot of humans not just in movies make jokes in emotional moments.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would enjoy seeing Boris Karloff try to explain this

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Puny god.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

Not dealing honestly with emotion worked for Dr Strange tho.

Also I think a lot of humans not just in movies make jokes in emotional moments.

Dr. Strange only lands one joke and it's the one at the end the librarian laughs at.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does Dr Strange count as a disabled superhero? There's a few of those (technically) going around, Cyborg being DC's first, I think. (not counting when Batman is mildly physically crippled, on top of being massively emotionally crippled) Of course, Professor X might be the first on the silver screen, and then Daredevil.

Disability really can be a compelling theme for a superhero, whether it's overcompensating for a specific disability with some extranormal device, or just dealing with the world while afflicted by a major weakness. Daredevil was pretty good with showing how he views the world and how it isn't a complete replacement for sight.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Daredevil pretends to be blind for sympathy. No reason he couldn't function as a regular sighted person.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He wouldn't know who you were exactly from a distance, or what colors were, but yeah Daredevil can see just fine.

Doctor Strange also isn't disabled. He can't preform surgery with his hands, but can with magic, but otherwise his hands work fine for whatever.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I saw that new Transformers and now the only comic movie I want is a spinoff with Anthony Hopkins T-HOPS and Cogman.

https://i.imgur.com/xvykpOU.mp4

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 16, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I think ya mean, T-Hops

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
captain looks sick :(

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ah, my favorite American superhero, Blue Skull.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

UmOk posted:

Daredevil pretends to be blind for sympathy. No reason he couldn't function as a regular sighted person.

Also to protect his identity, which didn't work out so well. The coolest depictions of DD are when they actually show him struggling with stuff his senses can't decipher, like a computer screen or a cell phone. Being able to read ink on a printed page from the "impression" is bullshit because offset printing plates don't leave an impression and there's no "raised ink" either.

The best DD writers come up with interesting ways to demonstrate that he's still handicapped because otherwise, what's the point of the loving character?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Burkion posted:

Doctor Strange also isn't disabled. He can't preform surgery with his hands, but can with magic, but otherwise his hands work fine for whatever.

Yeah the only effect of the car crash is that Dr. Strange loses his original super power, and falsely believes it's hampering his gaining his new one. It's not portrayed as a genuine disability.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
is it possible people like movie set a less than movie set b because the latter is more enjoyable to more people and not because they have horrible flaws that prevent them from seeing the true genius of movie set a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Farg posted:

is it possible people like movie set a less than movie set b because the latter is more enjoyable to more people and not because they have horrible flaws that prevent them from seeing the true genius of movie set a
something something McDonald's comparison

• Locked thread