Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The MSJ posted:

The fact that Matthew Vaughn have made entertaining movies out of the cringiest Mark Millar comic means he should make a Red Son movie, not a Donner copycat.

Anyway, here is Josh Brolin being shouty as Cable.

nationalize marvel & DC, fast track Red Son adaptation, Mike Leigh gets to make his first & last comic book movie.

Shanty posted:

As funny as this is, it's another one of those weird "supposed to" takes. Matt even literally says "... you're supposed to be disgusted". Snyder is trying really hard to sell fascism but fucks it up by showing the Spartans killing infants and the Persians having dope catgirl rave parties. Whoops! Like, Occam's razor that poo poo, maybe Snyder didn't intend the exact opposite of what you're seeing. Hell, even if he did who gives a poo poo? If 300 is making Will go "Again, how do you not root for the Persians when you watch this movie?" is that not a good argument that it's not glorifying the fascist Spartans?
Sure. That's Will & Matt, though. Of course those are their takeaways. Of course if you're sane and educated and not a piece of poo poo, you see the film and go "that wasn't glorifying fascism at all". Unfortunately I don't think these are takes that the significant portion of its audience came away with. Goons and chapo trap house, to be sure, and that's awesome. It was deep Bush era. Whereas with Starship Troopers the comedy is like, right there, and pretty obvious imo unless you were a tween or kid when you saw it.
I shouldn't have rehashed this though I can already sense the angry posts incoming. mah bad.

yeah tbf that was too hot takey on my part vvvv I'll amend it to "A film based on a comic that was fascist garbage"
I had to watch 300 with a mainly white audience that def didn't seem or sound like they were viewing it in that lens (and white nerd friends of mine that DEF weren't) and I've been hating ever since.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Punkin Spunkin posted:

nationalize marvel & DC, fast track Red Son adaptation, Mike Leigh gets to make his first & last comic book movie.

Sure. That's Will & Matt, though. Of course those are their takeaways. Of course if you're sane and educated and not a piece of poo poo, you see the film and go "that wasn't glorifying fascism at all". Unfortunately I don't think these are takes that the significant portion of its audience came away with. Goons and chapo trap house, to be sure, and that's awesome. It was deep Bush era. Whereas with Starship Troopers the comedy is like, right there, and pretty obvious imo unless you were a tween or kid when you saw it.
I shouldn't have rehashed this though I can already sense the angry posts incoming. mah bad.

I mean what you're saying here is more sound that just calling the movie "fascist garbage" so I probably jumped the gun on this anyway. I'm happy not to have this flare up again.

e: vvvv this too vvvv

Shanty fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 19, 2017

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I don't exactly disagree (fixing the filmographies in my quote) but if I had one choice and it was Zack Snyder and the other choice was "Anything involving Marc Millar", I'm going with Zack Snyder. He may have adapted Frank Miller garbage (which every goon is apparently convinced was definitely some Robocop/Starship Troopers poo poo, because, well, of course they are. only way "woke" whitie can justify still enjoying that a film based on a comic that was fascist garbage) but at least that was only once.
I love Chapo, but I wouldn't take any of their movie reviews seriously. The BvS one for instance has Matt repeatedly trying to take what happening on the screen and then using that to try and work out what Snyder's sexual desires are. Its weird.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I do think this thread would be better if Snyder specific talk would be avoided, we all know where people fall in that great forever war.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I do think this thread would be better if Snyder specific talk would be avoided, we all know where people fall in that great forever war.
you're asking the impossible

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shageletic posted:

He is the architect of the DC cinematic universe. What you ask is impossible.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Banning Snyder-talk would turn him into the unspeakable Other. Instead of not talking about Snyder, we would implicitly be always talking about Snyder.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Nroo posted:

There's been a sad lack of Superman punching lasers in the live-action films.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Snyder is good

FOR ME TO POOP ON

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are the Nolan Bat-man films in the D.C. Universe ? They are the only ones Ive seen. I don't think I've seen a Snyder movie after 300.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

josh04 posted:

Banning Snyder-talk would turn him into the unspeakable Other. Instead of not talking about Snyder, we would implicitly be always talking about Snyder.

/snapped neck starts aching
"He Who Must Not Be Named must be nearby!"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I've been told that by my snapped neck.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

/snapped neck starts aching
"He Who Must Not Be Named must be nearby!"

The Minister for Marvels has fallen under the influence of he who must not be named, and will be finishing the direction of Justice League.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 19, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

I love Chapo, but I wouldn't take any of their movie reviews seriously.

The 300 one is pretty off-putting once they can't help themselves and continuously make "its super gay!" jokes.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Chapo movie reviews keep doing the thing where they correctly identify important theme or plot elements, then claim those elements are accidental. So the weird psychosexual dynamics of BvS or the incredible superstitious idiocy of 300's spartans somehow become bad things.

Although, for my money, it's Batman who's incel while Luthor is volcel. They really judged books by their covers there.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

euphronius posted:

Are the Nolan Bat-man films in the D.C. Universe ? They are the only ones Ive seen. I don't think I've seen a Snyder movie after 300.

Nah they're their own thing. Different tone, no superpowers or magic outside of some James Bond stuff and a Liam Neeson ghost.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

well why not posted:

Nah they're their own thing. Different tone, no superpowers or magic outside of some James Bond stuff and a Liam Neeson ghost.

What would be the best D.C. Universe movie to see?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Chapo is pretty much 100% on-point in their movie reviews. Wonder Woman in particular was an interesting listen. I haven't listened to Suicide Squad yet, but that is the DC movie I've found to be the most entertaining.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
300 does make pretty much perfect sense considering it to be Spartan propaganda, which it is literally presented as. Thus it doesn't really hold up morally when thinking about it for more than five seconds, but is a window into how such a society may have viewed the world.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
More to the point, it's how Frank views the world

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's as accurate as it looks. you know, the black seas that surround greece and the sky cracked with lightning are a clue as to how 'real' it is.

euphronius posted:

What would be the best D.C. Universe movie to see?

Man Of Steel, Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition) and Wonder Woman are 'good' IMO.

Suicide Squad is dumb fun but not nearly at the quality of others.

Man Of Steel / Batman v Superman tie in, so watch those two in order I guess.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shageletic posted:

You'd have to find a comic book movie director who's as interesting to discuss.

Good luck!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Whereas with Starship Troopers the comedy is like, right there, and pretty obvious imo unless you were a tween or kid when you saw it.

When SS Troopers came out, many many people did not get it at all.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've always liked the 90s cartoon Superman. He would generally act like an uptight goody-two-shoes, dispensing lectures left and right, and always try to do good.

But if you'd push his buttons enough, he would throw you through a wall. Lex and Darkseid could genuinely piss him off, making him act reckless and foolish. My favorite example is the one JL episode where he suspects Lex of doing his usual thing, and comes across as a paranoid maniac. He acts up so bad Captain Marvel shows up to tell him off, which prompted a fight that levels a whole neighborhood. In the last episode of TAS, Darkseid had pushed him so far he even threatened one of his closest human allies for not cooperating.

He was a surprisingly fun character in those cartoons, even if of most of the humor came from him being annoyed by all the weirdoes messing with him.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 19, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Serf posted:

Chapo is pretty much 100% on-point in their movie reviews. Wonder Woman in particular was an interesting listen. I haven't listened to Suicide Squad yet, but that is the DC movie I've found to be the most entertaining.

Hmmm...not really. Matt especially is a screechlord internet dumbo. But you know what? Their politics are very good, so we let 'em slide.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Renoistic posted:

I've always liked the 90s cartoon Superman. He would generally act like an uptight goody-two-shoes, dispensing lectures left and right, and always try to do good.

But if you'd push his buttons enough, he would throw you through a wall. Lex and Darkseid could genuinely piss him off, making him act reckless and foolish. My favorite example is the one JL episode where he suspects Lex of doing his usual thing, and comes across as a paranoid maniac. He acts up so bad Captain Marvel shows up to tell him off, which prompted a fight that levels a whole neighborhood. In the last episode of TAS, Darkseid had pushed him so far he even threatened one of his closest human allies for not cooperating.

He was a surprisingly fun character in those cartoons, even if of most of the humor came from him being annoyed by all the weirdoes messing with him.

He also, consistently, tried to kill Darkseid, and wasn't particularly bothered about killing/being the cause of death of other characters.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

josh04 posted:

When the Other is not around, the other characters should be asking, where's the Other?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Burkion posted:

He also, consistently, tried to kill Darkseid,

Can't really blame him. Such a great villain. "Here I'm GOD".

Serf
May 5, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hmmm...not really. Matt especially is a screechlord internet dumbo. But you know what? Their politics are very good, so we let 'em slide.

His internet movie reviews are a treasure trove of funny poo poo. The toilet ghost of communism knows what's up all around.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shageletic posted:

Sorry, I want to go back to this and say: this is transparently an attempt for you, a guy who hates Snyder, to get him out of the thread. No thank you.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like this thread, divided by Snydes, united by Blade.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Some motherfuckers alwaaays trying to ice skate uphill

*spin kicks a post about Snyder into the thread's forehead*

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Confession time, here's what I've got: never seen Blade

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
And we can all also agree that Darkman is the best, which is a good starting point for further dialogue.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Darkman...

Darkwing Duck...

Ducktales...

Howard the Duck...

Holy poo poo, Disney owns the latter three why have they not crossed over!?

Serf
May 5, 2011

The best superhero movie is still Steel.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Confession time, here's what I've got: never seen Blade

It's extremely easy to watch and see why comic book movie fans love it so much. It's a good time.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

And we can all also agree that Darkman is the best, which is a good starting point for further dialogue.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Darkman...

Darkwing Duck...

Ducktales...

Howard the Duck...

Holy poo poo, Disney owns the latter three why have they not crossed over!?

According to rumors two of those might cross over in the near future. Together with Tailspin.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MacheteZombie posted:

It's extremely easy to watch and see why comic book movie fans love it so much. It's a good time.

By extremely easy to watch do you mean widely available on free streaming services, or just briskly paced and enjoyable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Serf posted:

The best superhero movie is still Steel.
Steel isn't even the best black superhero of the 90s

we should move onto a topic we can all agree on...like zack snyder

• Locked thread