Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

The 2 reboot games make extensive use of them to climb, and as a melee weapon.

Yeah, I just did a little googling and they appear to be the same tool (climbing pick-axe and ice axe).

(she still needs to be holding by the handle :colbert:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The idea to make Tomb Raider movies is pretty outdated, it will all flop into oblivion. However, it would make a kick-rear end Indiana Jones-like Netflix series that would benefit from having a cool female protagonist.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Palpek posted:

The idea to make Tomb Raider movies is pretty outdated, it will all flop into oblivion. However, it would make a kick-rear end Indiana Jones-like Netflix series that would benefit from having a cool female protagonist.

I'm sure the Relic Hunter rights are pretty cheap

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I just did a little googling and they appear to be the same tool (climbing pick-axe and ice axe).

Plus I imagine if you don't care about damaging it you could use an ice axe on other surfaces.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If they follow the recent Tomb Raider game as closely as they're following the character design, she won't spend very much time in tombs at all and instead will mostly be axe-ing dudes in the eye socket while sliding down a mud slope and then having to bandage her own gaping leg wounds in a cave at the bottom.

They're fun games in their own right but it's a pretty far cry from the 'superwoman female Indiana Jones' of the older games, and I suspect the film will be more Descent than National Treasure. I don't have a ton of interest (as someone who mostly loves the games) in it but maybe they'll surprise.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Plus they barely spend any time dealing with her titties like in older games.

Pfft, gaming is forgetting its roots.

Its titty-based roots.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The first new game had a lot of Descent in it but the (admittedly very short) movie trailer doesn't look like the movie is going in a gritty direction. They somewhat borrow the game's setting but at the same they have Lara in full make-up doing some 'Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment' acrobatics in a tomb with spiked clubs instead of lazers so I'm betting on it ending up being another basic action movie with pretty actors. But hell, who knows, too little material to already judge it, more of a gut feeling.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Proteus Jones posted:

Ice axes have a super weird balance to them and were I walking around with one, not using it, I probably wouldn't be carrying it by the handle

(I'd probably have it slung in a belt loop or pocket or something but I guess that's beside the point)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Palpek posted:

I don't like how they used the arrow in the title. It lacks any sort of neat concept in how it graphically interacts with the typography.

Looks bad in print for sure, but it has a neat effect in motion (title graphic at the end):
https://twitter.com/TombRaiderMovie/status/909816802061860864

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Palpek posted:

The first new game had a lot of Descent in it

Lara Croft pilots a fighter against rebel AIs throughout the solar system? I have got to give these games another look.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder if they'll show how Witchblade looks in the trailer tomorrow.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

teagone posted:

Looks bad in print for sure, but it has a neat effect in motion (title graphic at the end):
https://twitter.com/TombRaiderMovie/status/909816802061860864

Jesus. She's as ludicrously invincible/lucky as John McClane in Die Hard 4. I was really hoping it'd be much more Die Hard 1.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
I refuse to watch a Tomb Raider movie where she doesn't lock her butler in the freezer.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Jesus. She's as ludicrously invincible/lucky as John McClane in Die Hard 4. I was really hoping it'd be much more Die Hard 1.

The newer games destroy her within the first few minutes but she manages to keep on trucking. She should be bleeding internally and unable to move.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Invalid Validation posted:

The newer games destroy her within the first few minutes but she manages to keep on trucking. She should be bleeding internally and unable to move.
Yeah I'm fairly certain she gets a branch to the side of her stomach in a cutscene and agonizingly pulls it out, only to just have kind of a limp for about 10 feet afterwards before she takes to using her sick ice hammerclaw to freeclimb a 50 foot rock face.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Plus they barely spend any time dealing with her titties like in older games.

Pfft, gaming is forgetting its roots.

Its titty-based roots.

Didnt one of the tomb raider games have boob jiggle physics?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is it just me or is the car huge?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jesus, at first glance I thought those were cut off human ears on the floor. Now that would be a pretty crazy ex girlfriend series worth watching.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Palpek posted:

Jesus, at first glance I thought those were cut off human ears on the floor. Now that would be a pretty crazy ex girlfriend series worth watching.

I thought they were yorkshire puddings.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Palpek posted:

The real crime is anyone that would even *think* ketchup is acceptable for soft pretzels.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Proteus Jones posted:

The real crime is anyone that would even *think* ketchup is acceptable for soft pretzels.

Ketchup is wrong, liking it is thoughtcrime

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Proteus Jones posted:

It's mustard, it just looks like ketchup because it's under a green tinted light.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

huge tubs full of shrimp

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

NoneMoreNegative posted:

huge tubs full of shrimp

actually, those are small pastries

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Dillbag posted:

actually, those are small pastries

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How often does this happen in other cities?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The scary thing is, that isn't an advertisement. It's some sort of alien mirage that just appeared there this afternoon.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
There's a bunch of ads on buildings all the time in and around L.A.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jim Belushi? WTF?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Phanatic posted:

Jim Belushi? WTF?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Jim Belushi? WTF?

He was good in Show Me A Hero.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
He was GREAT in Twin Peaks.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Butter or obatzda or go home.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hello thread, I am slowly making my way through it and have just reached this post from November the 6th 2014, and I thought how crazy prescient one of the posters in this collection of 'unmade sequels' is. Specifically the Bladerunner 2054 one. Not only did they get the title structure correct, but also the correct release year and the fact that it's on the 6th of October. So 2017.6 is also partially correct! Blew my mind a little :)

(OK back to the early annals of the thread for now!)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Those two were a blast to watch.

And their girls had me in stitches.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

This new The Warriors sequel is lookin good

poo poo I made myself sad..