Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

S.J. posted:

This game sounds rad as hell so I'd be happy to find out that it doesn't suck.
Well, when I played it back in the early 90's is was crunchy as gently caress (a combat focused game designed by a vet), but it's got a weird gonzo thing going on where you've got stuff like a race of Jedi, multiple psychic races, one race that's basically big giant jungle cats that can walk on all fours or upright, and two types of Klingonesque lizard races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, when I played it back in the early 90's is was crunchy as gently caress (a combat focused game designed by a vet), but it's got a weird gonzo thing going on where you've got stuff like a race of Jedi, multiple psychic races, one race that's basically big giant jungle cats that can walk on all fours or upright, and two types of Klingonesque lizard races.

I mean I'm fine with all of that as long as it works

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

DalaranJ posted:

Wait. If Numenera 2 doesn't change any mechanics AND it doesn't change the setting, what is changing?

Supposedly they will fix the class balance that totally didn't need fixing anyway shut up. Also they're adding a craft system (in a game where the main toys are inscrutable one-offs from the past?) and some kind of actual exploration mechanics.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I do recall finding it bewildering that a game that is clearly about exploration had so few exploration or logistics mechanics.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

S.J. posted:

This game sounds rad as hell so I'd be happy to find out that it doesn't suck.

The guys behind this are the ones who acquired the license* for the engine used in the DC Heroes RPG back in the late 90s and churned out "Blood of Heroes," which was thoroughly terrible. A couple friends wrote for them and never saw payment or publication despite all manner of constant promises and there were issues with some of the artists lifting work and others not getting paid.

They were talking about wanting to make a new edition if Battlelords even back then. So long and short, I wouldn't get my hopes up on this ever actually delivering (the fact that they're still doing an open beta with the rules is troubling) or that it will be any kind of quality. We may have a new Far West contender.

*Turns out that when they purchased the mechanics from Mayfair Games, Mayfair didn't really have the rights to the system; they belonged to the mother of the original designer, or something. There was a whole big mess. And yes I know you can't copywrite a mechanic but we're talking full cut and paste here.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DalaranJ posted:

Wait. If Numenera 2 doesn't change any mechanics AND it doesn't change the setting, what is changing?

The first book is the straight mechanics for the game and its classes. They fiddled with some basic math in it. The second book I guess adds a domain-building aspect. You know, like the major selling point of Fallout 4.

Also lol playtesting is locked behind a $170.00 pledge tier. Amazing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nuns with Guns posted:

gently caress it, if it worked for the Mystery Hand Box of which nothing was really known, I'm surprised they didn't charge more for a game people actually know poo poo about.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm not going to pay $170 for the privilege of getting my face gnawed off by 18 rats.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

head58 posted:

The guys behind this are the ones who acquired the license* for the engine used in the DC Heroes RPG back in the late 90s and churned out "Blood of Heroes," which was thoroughly terrible. A couple friends wrote for them and never saw payment or publication despite all manner of constant promises and there were issues with some of the artists lifting work and others not getting paid.

They were talking about wanting to make a new edition if Battlelords even back then. So long and short, I wouldn't get my hopes up on this ever actually delivering (the fact that they're still doing an open beta with the rules is troubling) or that it will be any kind of quality. We may have a new Far West contender.

*Turns out that when they purchased the mechanics from Mayfair Games, Mayfair didn't really have the rights to the system; they belonged to the mother of the original designer, or something. There was a whole big mess. And yes I know you can't copywrite a mechanic but we're talking full cut and paste here.

whelp, nevermind

sticking with fragged

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dwarf74 posted:

Great news, everyone. If you were feeling a void in your heart where the Book of Erotic Fantasy once lived, here's something similar for 5e.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1494851610/erotic-adventures

I wonder if this will be the same as the last Book of Erotic Fantasy and will be a bad copy/paste job from the EnD Guide to Sex Netbook.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Plutonis posted:

Wow, spells to grow extra genitalia and a cum slime. How loving original

I've always wanted the Oglaf RPG system.

(I haven't.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

I do recall finding it bewildering that a game that is clearly about exploration had so few exploration or logistics mechanics.

Yeah the only thing that really "encourages" exploration is that the GM is supposed to hand out anywhere between 2 to 4 XP to players once they've explored something.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I think Numenera might be a bad game

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Numenera posted:

NIBOVIAN WIFE 3 (9) These biological constructs appear to be beautiful female humans. Their only function, however, is to seduce male humans so they can get pregnant. Pregnancy in a Nibovian wife opens a transdimensional rift inside its womb, giving an ultraterrestrial (such as an abykos, an erynth grask or any ultraterrestrial creature the GM wishes) access to this level of existence. The time required for “gestation,” which is actually the aligning of phase changes to create the rift, ranges from ten minutes to nine months. When the ultraterrestrial creature is “born,” the Nibovian wife nurtures it as if it were a child, even though it clearly is not. During this time, the construct defends the “child” fiercely, using incredible strength and resilience. The young creature develops quickly, and its first and only compulsion is to hunt down and kill its “father.” Once it does so, it is free to do as it pleases in the world. Nibovian wives are likely the cause of many ultraterrestrials currently in the Ninth World. Motive: Seduction for reproduction, defense of its “offspring” Environment: Anywhere Health: 9 Damage Inflicted: 5 points Armor: 2 Movement: Short Modifications: Resists mental effects as level 4. Combat: Nibovian wives attack with their fists, which pummel with a strength that betrays their inhuman nature. Their flesh is as resilient as armor. Interaction: As long as you give Nibovian wives what they want, they are kind and eager to please. They can never be convinced to abandon their imperative (reproducing and nurturing their terrible child), but on other issues, they can be perfectly reasonable. Use: A strange encounter with Nibovian wives can introduce the concept of otherdimensional beings in a horrific way. The ancients explored other dimensions and interacted with ultraterrestrials, but in the Ninth World, such beings are thought of as demons. Loot: The inner workings of a Nibovian wife can provide 1d6 cyphers to someone trained in scavenging them.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Lightning Lord posted:

didn't it have a giant beanstalk and the people who lived near it were called "beaners" and when they were called on that poo poo they literally defended it as "well it's like a million years in the future it's not a slur in the game"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

neongrey posted:

didn't it have a giant beanstalk and the people who lived near it were called "beaners" and when they were called on that poo poo they literally defended it as "well it's like a million years in the future it's not a slur in the game"

Yes. Our goon group was supposed to do a oneshot of Numenera last year and we were all geared up and then one of the players discovered that part of the setting and we just trashed because wtf guys.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

neongrey posted:

That was The Strange, iirc

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, the Strange had all the loving terrible racial politics, Numenera just had spermjacking sexbots.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

dwarf74 posted:

No, Numenera had the Beanstalk and the 'it's not a racial slur' defense. The Strange had Thunder Plains! The world of stereotyped Hollywood Native Americans that were mostly not even real people. (Less real people on that reality than the the reality full of talking cartoon disney crows or whatever the hell it was.)

They -grudgingly admitted that was a bad idea and supposedly hired the Ehdrigor guy to write something not poo poo to replace it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

The Beaners were from Numenera. The Strange had the dimension of American indigenous peoples who were actually blank, soulless simulacra.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Beaners were from Numenera. The Strange had the dimension of American indigenous peoples who were actually blank, soulless simulacra.

Hey, 15% of those unreal automatons were people.

*puts finger to ear*

Folks I'm being told that number is lower than any other other worlds presented in the books, even lower than the world of intelligent crows.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I really wanted to like Numenara and I still think the basic idea of it would be good if you had someone competent in charge. I really like Gumshoe and mixing it together with DnD and science fantasy could be really cool. When I first heard about the adjective noun who verbs I liked that too. I thought it would be an aspect type system that would let you be creative with character creation. Of course then I don't out that you have to pick from a list and they all have mechanical effects so it's more like picking feats at first level. Then the background actively encourages you to look to the players and change things around whenever they guess the truth. It's just so disappointing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's a potentially neat concept but unfortunately Monte Cook is not competent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Play Risus, assign 4 dice, 3 dice, and 2 dice to your choice of either your noun, adjective, or verb, and then you have a single free dice to pump a roll with.

There, a better game than Numenera

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yup. Take the most fantastical setting imaginable and do D&D stuff with it. Yay.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've never heard of it, but apparently Battlelords of the 23rd century is getting a new edition.

This is literally one of the most surprising kickstarters I could have imagined. I think far fewer people wanted this than wanted a new edition of Synnibarr.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't feel like Monte is incompetent, just incredibly mediocre. He's got his comfort zone (which admittedly is the d20 system), and he knows his way around it, but every time he tries to step outside that zone and try something new he just falls back on d20 thinkin' for whatever reason.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay, but that comfort zone is poo poo and everything he produces in it is bad. Whether that's a result of the comfort zone being poo poo and Monte being mediocre, or the comfort zone being poo poo and Monte being poo poo, is academic.

Yes, he's not SKR, but that only goes so far. :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

head58 posted:

I've considered doing an F&F solely for Blood of Heroes' setting / character material because it's so bad. I'm not likely to cover it anytime soon - I really have too much already on that docket - but it definitely has never left my mind as an awful RPG thing I have on my shelf. It really doesn't get the discredit it deserves.

Weren't the handful of Blood of Heroes books the only thing they ever did? Because it's a real bad precedent.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The people who made Tales From the Loop are making a fantasy RPG with some of the art made by Simon Stalenhag. The dude's art is always dope, so this looks rad just based on visuals alone.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I've considered doing an F&F solely for Blood of Heroes' setting / character material because it's so bad. I'm not likely to cover it anytime soon - I really have too much already on that docket - but it definitely has never left my mind as an awful RPG thing I have on my shelf. It really doesn't get the discredit it deserves.

Weren't the handful of Blood of Heroes books the only thing they ever did? Because it's a real bad precedent.

They put out 2 main books - the original one and a "special edition" with a nice Dave Dorman cover. The background in the special edition was rewritten and cleaned up a lot (I may have been one of the people involved in the rewrite so I get a little defensive about the background stuff) but it was still based on a pretty terrible foundation. They also put out a GM's screen with some mini adventures. They had several other books in the pipeline - a gazetteer of the world (again, written by a freelancer and not by the Pulsar guys), a post-apocalyptic setting book, a Golden Age book. At least the first 2 of those were completely written. But nothing else ever saw the light of day

And it bears repeating: they were talking about getting the rights and revamping BattleLords back in 2000-2001, and are still doing an open beta of the rules.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

I just paid for Electric State and picked up the old OOP art books at the same time. I can't take much more Stalenhag.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

TTerrible posted:

I just paid for Electric State and picked up the old OOP art books at the same time. I can't take much more Stalenhag.

I think only the cover is Simon Stalenhag, and the interior is mostly black and white art from old swedish RPGs.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

head58 posted:

They put out 2 main books - the original one and a "special edition" with a nice Dave Dorman cover. The background in the special edition was rewritten and cleaned up a lot (I may have been one of the people involved in the rewrite so I get a little defensive about the background stuff) but it was still based on a pretty terrible foundation. They also put out a GM's screen with some mini adventures. They had several other books in the pipeline - a gazetteer of the world (again, written by a freelancer and not by the Pulsar guys), a post-apocalyptic setting book, a Golden Age book. At least the first 2 of those were completely written. But nothing else ever saw the light of day

And it bears repeating: they were talking about getting the rights and revamping BattleLords back in 2000-2001, and are still doing an open beta of the rules.

Well, the rules were just fine (for their time), I actually ran a game with Blood of Heroes at one point. But I heard a lot of the rules updates came out of suggestions from the DC Heroes online community at the time? It was still just basically DC Heroes with some added material and fixes until you got into the backmatter.

And there was also the Sidekick sourcebook they did, which AFAIK the Special Edition just incorporated into the text except for the scenario...

The Sidekick Sourcebook posted:

Packed with hundreds of rules, new and alternate Powers, Skills, Advantages, Bonuses, Limitations and Drawbacks, the Sidekick Sourcebook also features our first published scenario, "The Game in the Game," a super-heroic trip to a gaming convention where all heck breaks loose. Also includes full rules for "Bloodsuckers Live," a comical live-action role-playing game that interacts directly with the adventure.

:raise:

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And there was also the Sidekick sourcebook they did, which AFAIK the Special Edition just incorporated into the text except for the scenario...

I can't believe I forgot the Sidekick. Yeah that one came entirely from the mailing list and those rules got incorporated into the Special Edition book. The BoH first edition rules were literally just cut and paste from the DC Heroes 3rd. That was my rules set of choice during the late 90s. Good times, good times.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've never heard of it, but apparently Battlelords of the 23rd century is getting a new edition.

I still have my first edition of that! If it wasn't for the Blood of Heroes poo poo that went down I would be backing in a heartbeat ( loving over writers with nonpayment).

e:fb.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Monte Cook has reached the point where he realizes he has enough cachet among his fans to sell then mystery boxes full of farts and gate playtest access behind $170 pledge tiers and they'll still pay him for it, so why wouldn't you ride that gravy train til it stops?

Fuckin beaners though, absolutely amazing.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
A popular coffee chain in Michigan was named Beaners for 12 years before the owner finally changed it. He said he was unaware that it was a slur. I guess he never googled the name of his own store or talked to a Hispanic person.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

neaden posted:

A popular coffee chain in Michigan was named Beaners for 12 years before the owner finally changed it. He said he was unaware that it was a slur. I guess he never googled the name of his own store or talked to a Hispanic person.

I'd never heard the term until just now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I would be more willing to buy the "well we had no idea it was a racist term!" argument if this wasn't the era of Google when you could look something up in five seconds, and to be honest it's not like "beaner" is some archaic 17th century slur from an obscure dialect, I don't think I've ever lived in an area with a major Hispanic population in my entire life and I still knew that beaner was a slur back in high school. Monte Cook is clearly a huge fuckin white nerd but there's a level of "didn't perform due diligence" that's indistinguishable from simply not giving a gently caress, and that their defense of it then later boiled down to "well our game is set in THE FUTURE where there's no racism, so nyah!" is on par with "well you must be the real racist" in terms of rhetoric.

I'm not sure which is worse, any of that stuff or the fact that "stalkers" was right there and they didn't take it, like c'mon.