Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tom Gorman posted:

it was the only one i noped out of because there was nothing likeable, about any of it

the story was bad, the choreography was cheesy looking and none of the characters were anyone you wanted to root for.

just colleen sort of but that can't hold up a show

:same:

Which is sad, because I loved Iron Fist the comic and was looking forward to it. :smith:

Maybe they can save it by bringing in Fat Cobra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The MSJ posted:

Some DC movie news from around the internet:

Early screenings of Justice League reveal that Lex Luthor is not in it, if anyone is wondering.

I wonder if that kinda confirms these rumors:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Take this with a truckload of salt since it lacks any reliable source but supposedly these are the changes done by Whedon to the film.

Spoilered just in case

Lex Luthor has been entirely cut.
Henry Allen has been entirely cut.
Deathstroke has been entirely cut.
Darkseid has been entirely cut.

The Knightmare is not addressed.

Wonder Woman is present when Steppenwolf steals the Amazons' Mother Box from Themyscira and vows revenge. This was included to set up Steppenwolf's new death scene.

Additional scene of Alfred picking up Batman in Amnesty Bay after Aquaman rejects him.

Additional scene of Flash and Cyborg discussing their backgrounds on their way to the Parademons' nest and developing a bond.

The Harvester subplot was entirely added in reshoots, restructuring the third act which was originally just an alien invasion.

Superman's subplot is altered. Rather than flee from Metropolis due to self-doubt, he does it to see Lois and Martha and let them know he's fine before immediately joining the battle.

Additional scene of Superman saving Metropolis from the Harvester's effects and reassuring the people that everything will be fine.

Additional scene of Superman meeting Alfred before heading to Venezuela.

Cyborg's subplot is altered. Rather than doubt himself and be reassured by Batman, Cyborg is the one who rallies the League using a football metaphor that later inspires the team's name.

Steppenwolf's demisse is changed. Originally he'd be beamed back to Apokolips by Cyborg and executed by Darkseid for faiIing to conquer Earth. Now Wonder Woman will punch him into the Harvester's beam and disintegrate him.

Additional scene of Cyborg and Silas watching Cyborg's old college football games together.

Minor dialogue additions throughout.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Please loving kill me if any of that is true.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

MonsieurChoc posted:

:same:

Which is sad, because I loved Iron Fist the comic and was looking forward to it. :smith:

Maybe they can save it by bringing in Fat Cobra.

If it gets a second season, they need to do something completely different. What everyone hoped they were going to do before seeing the trailers for S1.

Mystical, hosed up crazy poo poo. Totally rework his personality and fighting style. Tournament of the Seven Cities of Heaven.

He's wasn't a badass hero you're watching a superhero show to see, and he's wasn't a character you're watching a character-driven show to see. It just felt like nothing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I hated how they couldn't decide if his training had made him wise and zen or completely insane and with PTSD. It would change from scene to scene.

Edit: Cyborg's superpower being football just reminds of this old cartoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUucZVnno0

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 22, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

- Early screenings of Justice League reveal that Lex Luthor is not in it, if anyone is wondering.

gently caress

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snowman_McK posted:

Looks like John Wick with a smaller budget and a worse cinematographer based entirely off t-shirts sold at fairs in the late 90s.

Given how loving terrible all the gunplay in Daredevil was, I have no idea why you'd be optimistic.

drat dude, chill out. I know you're not actually angry or anything, but poo poo, lighten up a bit. John Wick with a smaller budget and worse cinematography is a good thing, because something just 50% as good as John Wick will still be loving excellent. I don't care about the gunplay in Daredevil because A) I highly doubt that the exact same people are working on both projects though I could be wrong, and B) I have a trailer here with some dope rear end gunplay in it.

Also:

Vintersorg posted:

Please loving kill me if any of that is true.

God drat it. I really like BvS but if this stuff is true then like a third of that movie is now utterly pointless.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 22, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The MSJ posted:

- Early screenings of Justice League reveal that Lex Luthor is not in it, if anyone is wondering.
WHEEEEEDOOOOON?!?! :argh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of, there's some supposed spoilers from those early screenings

quote:

Movie begins with cellphone footage of some kids interviewing Superman and asking what he likes best about Earth. After the title card, a news montage shows how lovely the world has become since Superman died, and how Batman disappeared.

Batman is in some end-of-the-world village trying to convince Aquaman to join the team, but he says "no". Wonder Woman has also said "no". Heading back to America Batman manages to recruit the Flash. Then Steppenwolf shows up and steals a Mother Box from the Amazons. Wonder Woman then joins the team and tells Batman about how he was defeated by humans, atlanteans and amazons in ancient times and three Mother Boxes were left behind that united can "reshape the world". Steppenwolf was sent to conquer Earth on Darkseid's behalf, but failed and was exiled for it. Now that he learned from Lex Luthor that Earth had no protectors left, Steppenwolf headed back with his Parademons to retrieve the Mother Box, conquer Earth and get back into Darkseid's good graces.

Wonder Woman approaches Cyborg, but he refuses because he's all emo about being part-machine. His father is later kidnapped alongside a bunch of scientists and Cyborg changes his mind. Meanwhile Steppenwolf steals Atlantis' Mother Box and Aquaman has to go ask the others for help.

Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Cyborg find the Parademons' nest and fight Steppenwolf, who has the upper hand until Aquaman shows up. The scientists are saved, and it turns out Steppenwolf is trying to use Superman's DNA to create Super-Parademons and has stolen the body from Smallville to bring it back using the scout ship from Metropolis. The heroes prevent that, and find out Superman is still alive in a coma of sorts. They manage to bring him back, but Superman is confused and flies off to meet Lois and MARTHA.

Steppenwolf gets his hands on the last Mother Box and heads out to Russia to start the "reshaping". The heroes are pretty sure theyll die but set out to stop him anyway. They get there, a battle ensues, Cyborg overcomes his insecurity and manages to hack into the Mother Boxes and undo the "reshaping". Superman shows up and turns the tide against Steppenwolf, who ends up being killed by his own Parademons. The heroes stand triumphant and lock away the Mother Boxes once again. Superman reunites with Lois and Batman keeps the heroes on call should the world need them again.

Random stuff.

Lex Luthor and Deathstroke have been cut. Iris West too.

Darkseid is referenced throughout as Steppenwolf's master, but only briefly appears in a flashback, enveloped in shadows.

A bunch of scenes from the trailers have been cut, like Alfred talking to Superman, Cyborg's pre-transformation flashbacks, Batman watching holograms, etc.

Two Green Lanterns appear during the flashback battle against Steppenwolf, one alien and one human-looking.

Lots of dialogue additions by Whedon. You can tell what material is his, but it's not tonally clashing, and the movie is still pretty serious even though it has more lighthearted moments.

Editing is pretty messy in the first two acts, but finds a nice groove in time for the final battle.

Batman wants Wonder Woman to lead the Justice League, but she's reluctant because every death under her command will hurt as bad as Steve Trevor. She has a older sister-younger brother relationship with Cybor and is the one that gets him to embrace his new self.

Batman and Wonder Woman flirt a little.

There's no real standout action scenes.

The Knightmare is not addressed.

No lore other than Steppenwolf telling Wonder Woman's mom that the Old Gods are dead and the New Gods are here.

Mera has a minor role. She conjures some water weapons to defend the Mother Box, Steppenwolf swats her aside, Aquaman shows up and dodges Steppenwolf's war axe. Steppenwolf escapes with the Mother Box while Aquaman tends to her.

A standout comedic scene is when Aquaman touches the magic lasso while suggesting battle tactics for the final battle and begins listing the ways the other heroes and himself will probably die during the fight.

Batman and Aquaman have a funny relationship making fun of eachother throughout the movie.

Flash is the biggest comedy relief and his references are out of control. He hums the 60's Batman theme when he gets into the Batmobile, he repetedly points out ressurrecting Superman could lead to a "Pet Sematery" situation, etc.

A funny scene is when Flash scribbles a silly mustache on an rear end in a top hat guard at his dad's prison too fast for the guard to notice. He stays with the mustache on his face, none the wiser.

Superman and Flash have a playful little race to see who gets to a person in need first.

Flash doesn't get a second costume.

Superman has no real arc. He just comes back really joyful and eager to help people, but the movie sort of retcons him into having always been like that.

Superman returns believing he's still fighting Doomsday and slams Batman against a car before calming down. When Flash later brings up their fight, Superman says Batman doesn't like him much, and Batman awkwardly states "I don't... Not like you."

After reviving Superman immediately runs to meet Lois at the broken statue and whisks her to Smallville.

Kent Farm is for sale, but Batman buys it to ensure it stays with MARTHA. Movie ends with Superman living there with Lois and his mom.

Parademons are rabid, mindless monsters that prey on creatures that they sense feel fear. At one point, Batman lures one in by dangling a crook on the side of a building.

When Steppenwolf gets utterly defeated by the heroes, loses his war axe and his armor and the Mother Boxes, he feels fear, and that's when he loses control of the Parademons and they kill him.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 22, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wait wait, they cut trailer scenes? :psyduck:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Alright everybody let's all work hard to make "his references are out of control" the new "quips are on point", good luck out there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seems fair. References are like a subcategory of quip. Although I am confused as to why the Flash would ride inside of the Batmobile, or any vehicle. I would either run everyone there myself, or just be like "Ok guys call me when you get there" and then go have dinner in Italy or something.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 22, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"I don't...not, like you."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Some of those spoilers appear to conflict with the previous spoilers so I guess they decided to re-add certain stuff from the script that they initially cut out.

quote:

Editing is pretty messy in the first two acts, but finds a nice groove in time for the final battle.
My best guess is that in the first two acts they spliced together Snyder and Whedon scenes, but the third act might be mostly action scenes so it's mostly Snyder and CGI.

quote:

Flash is the biggest comedy relief and his references are out of control. He hums the 60's Batman theme when he gets into the Batmobile, he repetedly points out ressurrecting Superman could lead to a "Pet Sematery" situation, etc.
After what happened with Zod in BvS, Barry is not exactly wrong here.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wait wait, they cut trailer scenes? :psyduck:

That's not a strange thing, really.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Seems fair. References are like a subcategory of quip. Although I am confused as to why the Flash would ride inside of the Batmobile, or any vehicle. I would either run everyone there myself, or just be like "Ok guys call me when you get there" and then go have dinner in Italy or something.

Maybe Bruce is taking him back to the Batcave. It's not like Flash knows where it is.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The MSJ posted:

That's not a strange thing, really.

Yeah I thought about it and now I wish every trailer was comprised of 95% original footage, with none of the scenes appearing in the final movie. That way I can watch trailers without spoiling the poo poo out of myself.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

Maybe Bruce is taking him back to the Batcave. It's not like Flash knows where it is.

We saw him hitching a ride with Bruce on the first trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxixDgHUYw&t=80s

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

teagone posted:

Because everything.

That's a pretty good analysis. It didn't seem any different than any other Marvel show. Good first couple episodes with a huge dip in quality about halfway through.

Serf
May 5, 2011

UmOk posted:

That's a pretty good analysis. It didn't seem any different than any other Marvel show. Good first couple episodes with a huge dip in quality about halfway through.

My biggest issue with it was that the fight scenes were slow and sloppy, which apparently was due to main actor learning the choreography on the fly. If your show is gonna be about one of the greatest martial artists in the world, you gotta have good fight scenes. They were better in the Defenders, so hopefully in a theoretical season 2 they would improve on that. The main villain was very fun to watch, but he felt a little squandered which was disappointing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm about 9 episodes through Luke Cage and it's dragging like crazy. Does it come good, or should I just forget about it?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you didn't like the first, good half, the rest isnt going to do much for you.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Serf posted:

My biggest issue with it was that the fight scenes were slow and sloppy, which apparently was due to main actor learning the choreography on the fly. If your show is gonna be about one of the greatest martial artists in the world, you gotta have good fight scenes. They were better in the Defenders, so hopefully in a theoretical season 2 they would improve on that. The main villain was very fun to watch, but he felt a little squandered which was disappointing.

The fights in all the shows are pretty meh once you see the formula. Heroman starts fight by getting beat up for a little while, just when you think he is finished he bounces back and destroys the other guy like he was nothing. That's almost every fight. Except when Heroman is fighting like 20 guys at once he never gets hit.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

If you didn't like the first, good half, the rest isnt going to do much for you.

Cages first half was really good. But these shows always do some weird villain shake up halfway through and tend to lose quality after that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

UmOk posted:

The fights in all the shows are pretty meh once you see the formula. Heroman starts fight by getting beat up for a little while, just when you think he is finished he bounces back and destroys the other guy like he was nothing. That's almost every fight. Except when Heroman is fighting like 20 guys at once he never gets hit.

Even assuming that was true, you can still make that move fast and look good.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

well why not posted:

I'm about 9 episodes through Luke Cage and it's dragging like crazy. Does it come good, or should I just forget about it?

It becomes worse

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

A bunch of scenes from the trailers have been cut, [spolier]like Alfred talking to Superman[/spoiler]

Wait, what trailer was this in? I haven't seen Superman in any trailers yet. Though, my internet has been out for a week and a half due to a hurricane, so maybe I missed one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was in a promotional shot, or maybe it was marketing tie in

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I got a laugh out of Superman being retconned to always be "joyful and eager".

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Turns out Superman just needed a nap to feel all better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, what trailer was this in? I haven't seen Superman in any trailers yet. Though, my internet has been out for a week and a half due to a hurricane, so maybe I missed one.

In the most recent trailer, the stinger is Alfred working on something and a figure approaches him; Alfred says something like, "He said you'd come ... hope it's not too late."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timby posted:

In the most recent trailer, the stinger is Alfred working on something and a figure approaches him; Alfred says something like, "He said you'd come ... hope it's not too late."

Uh his glass of water showed ripples immediately before that, it's obvious he was talking to a T-Rex. Probably the robot T-Rex Batman usually has in the batcave.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

UmOk posted:

Cages first half was really good. But these shows always do some weird villain shake up halfway through and tend to lose quality after that.

There is not a single one of these Marvel Netflix shows that wouldn't improve by being edited down to 6-8 Eps, and I've largely been a fan of them. Even Defenders would've been better with a couple less.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok so, in place of straightforward anticapitalism, you are anti-masturbation.

You are projecting. Nothing in my observation of how these conflicts are present says that they are a bad thing that must be banned. Rather they are exactly the right thing for maximal masturbatory enjoyment (in the same way as the madonna/whore motif) by a cenrtain audience that is themselves steeped in these contradictions of Protestantism and Liberalism (as Snyder certainly is). To assert that simply by making these observations I am expressing opposition is to presume that there is something intrinsically wrong with either masturbation (not likely) or contradiction (an excusable mistake for a Marxist).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dacap posted:

There is not a single one of these Marvel Netflix shows that wouldn't improve by being edited down to 6-8 Eps, and I've largely been a fan of them. Even Defenders would've been better with a couple less.

This is absolutely true. There's not enough meat on them bones to go for 13 episodes. I think only Daredevil S1 justified every episode, and even then I think you could trim it down to 10.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/JustJared/status/910733498713038848

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I got a laugh out of Superman being retconned to always be "joyful and eager".

In MoS2/JL2 we find out that being dead effectively gave Superman brain damage and changed his personality

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I would kill to see a Dougie Jones version of Cavill's Superman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Serf posted:

It's really bad in those brief moments where you see Daredevil and Iron Fist fighting in the same shot because Iron First is just sort waving and moving around and his only real move is "I dance in place for a long time and then deliver a straight punch" while Daredevil is doing way more because Charlie Cox actually made the physical commitment and even does some of the stunts. Plus in Daredevil's two seasons he's able to fight for longer because the outfit lets him and a stuntman switch places quickly when he's out of view so you can do stuff like that hallway fight and the other bits where "he's" able to fight for way longer and more intensely in a single scene than we ever see Iron Fist do.

Thematically too, like they already spent a season and a half building up Daredevil as the white martial arts guy who is the good guy faction's chosen one to fight The Hand, so this version of Iron Fist is already redundant. They really needed to get someone who could both act and also be very good at doing martial arts fight scenes to make up for that and they clearly gave zero fucks about that.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 22, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Kent Farm is for sale, but Batman buys it to ensure it stays with MARTHA. Movie ends with Superman living there with Lois and his mom.

This is an egregiously lovely fate for Snyder's Superman and I genuinely hope it's not true.

This has the whiff of authenticity to me, for whatever reason. Too bad. We'll see in a couple months, I suppose.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Iron Fist should have been what Luke Cage sort of tried to be

Luke Cage was a kind of throwback to Blaxploitation movies, which is the entire origin of the character in the comics anyways

Iron Fist should have been a Kungfuxplotation series from moment one. Again, like the entire origin of the character in the comics.

Instead it's about some ultra rich white gently caress who has no perspective on the world and can't fight worth poo poo, but once in a while he can make his hand glow and hit things super hard.

The entire final fight of Iron Fist is a joke. I skipped to the last episode and missed nothing and got nothing in return. You'd think you'd save the biggest, most impressive and driven martial arts fight for the ending, but if that was it

Whoo boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shanty posted:

Alright everybody let's all work hard to make "his references are out of control" the new "quips are on point", good luck out there.

That line is itself a reference, from four years ago.

• Locked thread