Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I liked Sneaky Pete, but it took like 4 episodes for it to grab me. I think it was Giovanni Ribisi, something about his mannerisms or something was off putting to me, couldn't quite put my finger on it.

As someone who lives in Connecticut I couldn't get over how fast they traveled from place to place. NYC to Bridgeport to Hartford and back by car?? You're looking at five or six hours minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Just binged through the first couple seasons of True Detective. The first is utterly phenomenal television from start to finish. The second just... exists. Had some great highs but otherwise was like an aggressively mediocre neo noir episode of Murder She Wrote. Colin Farrel, is not my favorite actor bad but was surprisingly compelling throughout, McAdams and Kitsch were perfectly fine. Vince loving Vaughn, though, Jesus wept.

In other news, despite looking like it cost less than $500 to make, can confirm that Little Evil is hilarious and you should go watch it right now.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Human Tornada posted:

Did I miss the discussion on The Blackcoat's Daughter on Amazon because that movie is good as hell.
Wait what who

Sarchasm posted:

There's been a little back and forth about it in the horror thread. "Good as hell" tends to be most people's takeaway.

It might wind up being my favorite horror movie of the year, but I still have to see Mother! and a couple other big contenders.

Holy poo poo this movie.

I watched it based on these comments. I started out watching it with the interest I'd give to people checking out at a library... mild interest, nothing special but okay.

As the movie ratcheted up, my interest ratcheted up and the movie ended straight up crazy and incomplete but okay still pretty drat good.

AND THEN I WATCHED 2 VIDEOS that explain the ending.

Mind. Blown.

I wish 1 of two things:
- Directors were better at telegraphing that kind of mind-blowing part of the story
- I was a lost smarter/less A.D.D. to pick up on the parts that put it all together.

In reviewing both YT clips, they're covering the movie from start to finish to show how it's all tied together, but, that kind of perspective can only come from some point towards the end, when they connect the dots, I guess? I mean, drat. There's too much to spoil in this movie so I don't want to say too much, but, if you picked up the connection, WHEN? I mean, drat. In hindsight, it's beautiful. But unless somebody showed me all that stuff? I SERIOUSLY doubt I'd have made the connection upon a second viewing.

And now I want to get other ppl to watch it, but it goes so slow, how do I make people watch this movie? Without telling them the kid has been talking to a dead guy all along and the whole village is not in the past but in current day?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Going to bat for The Orville, available on Hulu. I think it's fun, funny, and good sci-fi.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Unmature posted:

Going to bat for The Orville, available on Hulu. I think it's fun, funny, and good sci-fi.

Yeah, the first episode is pretty rough, but the two after that (all that's aired so far) are decent light entertainment if you've got some nostalgia for Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Best description I've seen so far is, "blue-collar Voyager."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Orville is basically "hey you know how 1 in 20 TNG episodes were really good and the other 19 were Beverley and Troy doing yoga or whatever? We're just skipping the 19 here".

Admittedly that's only based on episode 2 being good and 3 being great, but episode 3 really is everything good about TNG and none of the bad.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

precision posted:

Admittedly that's only based on episode 2 being good and 3 being great, but episode 3 really is everything good about TNG and none of the bad.

I thought the same thing. If that exact same script with fewer jokes aired on the new Trek show I think people would praise it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This week they are doing a very Trek episode too. All the characters are debating whether an all-male species should be allowed to change the sex of a female baby as part of their custom. There's a tribunal and everything. I'm sure TNG and Enterprise has done something similar.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I love sci fi, but I just can't stand Seth McFarlane. I had to turn the first episode off after about 20 minutes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Orville still has pacing issues to work through- like obviously McFarlane is more used to the 25 minute format, can't speak for the other writers but there is a padded feel. But the most recent episode was impressive and that may bode well.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

10 Beers posted:

Hi friends! I've binged through the entirety of Luther in 3 days. Can anyone recommend any other fun, non-US detective stuff. I see Broadchurch and River on Netflix.

PS: everyone watch Luther.

go watch Comrade Detective, stat

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Re The Blackcoat's Daughter, two things:
1. I'm on my 2nd watch right now. It seems real good. Reminds me of two other solid netflix horror movies. Spoilering in case you wanna go in blind: At the Devil's Door meets Starry Eyes
2. My favorite thing after reading about the movie is that it was written/directed by Dorky David from Legally Blonde. He's immediately on my watch list. I think the dude has a massive future.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Don't watch The Bad Batch. It's loving horrible. I don't think I've ever been this bored watching a movie before. I checked to see how far in I was and saw I was an hour to go and turned it off.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

magnificent7 posted:

The Blackcoat's Daughter

I thought the movie tied itself up pretty well when it was all over, but your post made me think I missed something so I watched one of those YouTubes and nope, I got it all the first time. The moment I realized it was two separate times was when James Remar showed Emma Roberts the picture of his dead daughter and then I realized who Emma Roberts turns out to be when Kiernan Shipka murders the nuns.

I'm also not sure what you mean when you say "the village was in the present day, not the past." The boarding school was in the past.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

JBP posted:

Don't watch The Bad Batch. It's loving horrible. I don't think I've ever been this bored watching a movie before. I checked to see how far in I was and saw I was an hour to go and turned it off.

None of the things it does seem unintentional, including the excruciating pace. I can absolutely see how the movie would appeal to hipster cinephiles (meant without contempt here)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Counterpoint: It's a great movie, intentionally embracing aesthetics pace, and characterizations and relationships in a world that doesn't allow them to happen. It's interesting, has a great cast, and is mean.

married but discreet posted:

None of the things it does seem unintentional, including the excruciating pace. I can absolutely see how the movie would appeal to hipster cinephiles (meant without contempt here)

Why you sonofa

Nah, seriously, it's not for everyone, because it's less about plot and more about the characters surviving in cannibal limbo. The slow pacing is intentional, since , you know, the characters are stuck in a desert wasteland with barely anything to do except eat each other or try to make a resemblance to their life before their punishment. And the movie is absolutely gorgeous.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JBP posted:

I got all excited to stream this and it's only on YouTube for rental? I don't mind renting but I hate doing it via YT. :sigh:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

precision posted:

I got all excited to stream this and it's only on YouTube for rental? I don't mind renting but I hate doing it via YT. :sigh:

It's on Netflix

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Allyn posted:

It's on Netflix

Oh, canistreamit fails me again

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

precision posted:

JustWatch is better.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I've never gotten accurate results with them

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Buster's Mal Hart is good, and hosed up and depressing.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
has someone watched the first episode from the new star trek show and can a bit tell? :allears:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Filthy Hans posted:

go watch Comrade Detective, stat

Oh, I have friend. I have.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Franchescanado posted:

Counterpoint: It's a great movie, intentionally embracing aesthetics pace, and characterizations and relationships in a world that doesn't allow them to happen. It's interesting, has a great cast, and is mean.

It tries very hard to be cool and have quirky or interesting shots. The issue is they aren't interesting and 90s nostalgia stuff can't glaze over the fact that the film is glacially paced with nothing of substance. The core character is weakly written and nonsensical. It's like burning man meets mad max but somehow they forgot to make it good.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Human Tornada posted:

I'm also not sure what you mean when you say "the village was in the present day, not the past." The boarding school was in the past.
He's saying that it's similar to recommending two other movies without giving away the ending/key detail like, for "Sixth Sense" and "The Village," respectively.

As for The Blackcoat's Daughter, I figured something was weird about Rose being the man's daughter. But, I honestly didn't figure everything out until I read the spoilers in here. One thing I did notice that solidified some kind of Kat/Join connection was just after Rose was stabbed. There's a shot with the silhouette of Kat against the lighted hallway. After a few moments her profile turns into Joan's. It's a nice touch and it executed well. This is probably in one of the youtube videos but I haven't watched any of those.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Blackcoat's Daughter
Is a good sleep aid
All that build up and no sense of who people are except one character makes the whole thing a belly flop

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 25, 2017

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Junkie Disease posted:

The Blackcoat's Daughter
Is a good sleep aid
All that build up and no sense of who people are except one character makes the whole thing a belly flop

Burma Shave

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ohvee posted:

He's saying that it's similar to recommending two other movies without giving away the ending/key detail like, for "Sixth Sense" and "The Village," respectively.

As for The Blackcoat's Daughter, I figured something was weird about Rose being the man's daughter. But, I honestly didn't figure everything out until I read the spoilers in here. One thing I did notice that solidified some kind of Kat/Join connection was just after Rose was stabbed. There's a shot with the silhouette of Kat against the lighted hallway. After a few moments her profile turns into Joan's. It's a nice touch and it executed well. This is probably in one of the youtube videos but I haven't watched any of those.
Yep. Sorry - I was just goofing on spoilered stuff. None of it pertained to the actual movie. I do recall the photo now, so, yep.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The MSJ posted:

This week they are doing a very Trek episode too. All the characters are debating whether an all-male species should be allowed to change the sex of a female baby as part of their custom. There's a tribunal and everything. I'm sure TNG and Enterprise has done something similar.

I thought that it was a great episode, and I really hope that The Orville continues like this.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The MSJ posted:

TNG had an episode where Riker fell in love with a androgynous alien, closest I can think of. Oh and when Data created another android there's a scene where he helps it choose a sex.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
American Vandal is OK but I don't know that I've ever seen a show so deeply at war with itself. It's a pretty funny spoof for the first few episodes, runs out of steam quickly and then turns a relatively straight-faced take on the genre — except it's mining fake people and events for the same kind of anguished drama you see in true-crime docs. It gets to the point where it explicitly apologizes for having jokes earlier in the show.

In general I like it when a comedy takes its characters a little seriously but it works way better as a light satire than a hamfisted teen drama. It feels like another example of Netflix stretching something to the breaking point in terms of episode count

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of Star Trek, Discovery led to the highest number of CBS All Access sign up in a single day since Grammy 2017.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/404955-star-trek-discovery-premiere-leads-to-record-sign-ups-for-cbs-all-access#/slide/1

I watched it on Netflix, though.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

morestuff posted:

American Vandal is OK but I don't know that I've ever seen a show so deeply at war with itself. It's a pretty funny spoof for the first few episodes, runs out of steam quickly and then turns a relatively straight-faced take on the genre — except it's mining fake people and events for the same kind of anguished drama you see in true-crime docs. It gets to the point where it explicitly apologizes for having jokes earlier in the show.

Huh, that makes sense, as my wife was binging on the show the last couple days, but I only watched the last 2 or 3 episodes. I was wondering why everyone was saying it was so funny since it seemed to be more or less delivered straight. I was wondering if I was missing something having not seen the earlier episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

In general I like it when a comedy takes its characters a little seriously but it works way better as a light satire than a hamfisted teen drama. It feels like another example of Netflix stretching something to the breaking point in terms of episode count

um.

It really doesn't do that. I think you just didn't "get" the second tier of jokes?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's a satire, it's not a comedy version of a true crime documentary. The creators even said in an interview (which is linked in the American Vandal discussion thread) that they had to cut lines and reactions to downplay the comedy and that the jokes/humor come from taking a mundane mystery and treating it as in depth and as serious as an unsolved murder.

I feel like with satire you're either in it from the beginning or not at all. American Vandal connected with me and I was on board from the start.

Alex Trimboli is a little bitch.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's funny. It's just deadpan.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

the jokes/humor come from taking a mundane mystery and treating it as in depth and as serious as an unsolved murder.

I got that, and it was funny at first, but it's a one-note joke, that I don't think could keep me interested for eight episodes. Maybe I'll go back and watch the first episode and see if it does anything for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LogisticEarth posted:

I got that, and it was funny at first, but it's a one-note joke, that I don't think could keep me interested for eight episodes. Maybe I'll go back and watch the first episode and see if it does anything for me.

I'm not going to spoil anything specific but a lot of people keep saying they don't know how it can stay interesting past a few episodes and you really need to see what happens to understand how it stays interesting.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Alex Trimboli is a little bitch.

The segment on the difference between "bitch" and "little bitch" is brilliant.