Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Is there a way to edit what the Siri watch face shows you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tap on the watch face in the watch app on your phone

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Braincloud posted:

Interesting- the GF didn't have any issues activating her's yesterday.

So yeah, just tested out the battery on my LTE. Left the phone at home and ran for 1:45 with Strava going and playing music I downloaded to the watch. Battery was at 23% after that. I then made a call to the GF for 5 minutes (super handy via Bluetooth headphones) and threw Strava back on as I walked the few miles back home. 45 mins later, watch was at 4%. It died about 10 mins later with nothing running.

So looks like the watch is good for a half marathon but I doubt it'll last a full. I'll have to try again with the LTE off and see what that does.

Edit: oh loving sweet - watch dying equals Strava deleting my unsynched run data. For fucks sake.

Thank you for this data. Looks like the watch alone will not be enough for my fiancées marathon. Thinking of doing her Garmin for the GPS and then also having the LTE watch so I can track her via Find my Friends. Although wearing 2 watches is kinda dopey.

How was the GPS accuracy of the watch? I assume the Garmin does it better since it's a dedicated device, but wondering if the Apple Watch was "good enough."

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Thank you for this data. Looks like the watch alone will not be enough for my fiancées marathon. Thinking of doing her Garmin for the GPS and then also having the LTE watch so I can track her via Find my Friends. Although wearing 2 watches is kinda dopey.

How was the GPS accuracy of the watch? I assume the Garmin does it better since it's a dedicated device, but wondering if the Apple Watch was "good enough."

This is more of a running thing than a watch thing, but which marathon is it? If it's a large enough one, there might be enough timing mats that you can track her online pretty painlessly. New York does this, for instance.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If you're running marathons you're probably better with a Garmin watch and use the LTE Apple Watch for music and communication. Wear both, you have two wrists!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Agronox posted:

Yeah. I've done full + workout app with the S0 and have made it, albeit with <20% remaining. I imagine the later versions are much better so long as LTE isn't on constantly.

I'll definitely try next run with the LTE off.

What I'm more concerned about is Strava just losing my run data. I was really looking forward to seeing what the accuracy on distance/GPS is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Tap on the watch face in the watch app on your phone

Thanks. Today it decided to show me a picture of an ex-girlfriend. Because that's something I ever want to see??

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Thanks. Today it decided to show me a picture of an ex-girlfriend. Because that's something I ever want to see??

Yeah, the Siri face needs some work or more customization features

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

For the past two days Siri face has been showing me a photo from my wedding which was a couple years ago and not in September. No idea why.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

doingitwrong posted:

For the past two days Siri face has been showing me a photo from my wedding which was a couple years ago and not in September. No idea why.

Same here (and a totally different month/number of years). Maybe it's deliberately pulling wedding photos.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Decided to try my luck at the local Apple Store, but apparently they're not stocking the Cellular models at all yet. I found that odd.

Tried some carrier stores, but they don't range Stainless at all.

So online with a 4 week wait is pretty much it for now.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Yeast posted:

Decided to try my luck at the local Apple Store, but apparently they're not stocking the Cellular models at all yet. I found that odd.

Tried some carrier stores, but they don't range Stainless at all.

istocknow.com

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Agronox posted:

This is more of a running thing than a watch thing, but which marathon is it? If it's a large enough one, there might be enough timing mats that you can track her online pretty painlessly. New York does this, for instance.

Boston. The timing mats may suffice.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Boston. The timing mats may suffice.

Oh yeah. You'll be fine.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/boston-marathon-mobile-app.aspx

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

rage-saq posted:

I'm running a battery test this weekend, I'm not going to charge it until it single digit battery %. I've had my S3 LTE on for about 14 hours and using it like normal and I'm at 81%. Normal means I've had my phone on me the whole time, so no LTE use or calls. I want to say this is a good 5-6% higher than my S2.

Day 2 of battery rundown test on my S3. I took my watch off last night at 73% but didn't put it on a charger. Woke up with it at 69% and now its at 51%. Seems like I might be able to barely squeeze 4 days out of the S3.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

io_burn posted:

Is there a way to have the Stocks complication just rotate through the stocks you’re watching in the Stocks app? Or scroll like a ticker? Or anything more useful than just displaying one stock until you select another one in the Stocks Watch app? (Or does anyone know of a app that offers a complication with this functionality?) Seems odd that it doesn’t rotate or act as a ticker by default, just watching one stock then manually rejiggering which one is featured is kind of dumb.

Also does anyone have any idea what triggers the face complication to update? Seems like it refreshes so seldom that it hardly makes the whole thing worthwhile at all, unless you tap the complication which loads the Apple Watch stocks app and everything refreshes (which is then reflected on the watch face). Is there something I'm missing to just get this to refresh whenever I raise my wrist? Or anything a bit more automatic than how it behaves now?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Yeast”" post="“476733217”"]
Decided to try my luck at the local Apple Store, but apparently they’re not stocking the Cellular models at all yet. I found that odd.

Tried some carrier stores, but they don’t range Stainless at all.

[/quote]

I def had people bring a cellular watch purchased by Apple in to get activated. So Apple could have sold our, but they def had some cellular watches.

Most carrier stores got zero apple watches. Mine was lucky enough to get a handful. Probably preordering at this point is the best bet.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I was just going to wait till I saved up for one but I ended up ghetto financing it at AT&T (might as well, it's 0% financing). Anyway I tried to get one in store but they said none of the stores have any. I put in a order online and it says it will ship October 6-11.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Haggins posted:

I was just going to wait till I saved up for one but I ended up ghetto financing it at AT&T (might as well, it's 0% financing). Anyway I tried to get one in store but they said none of the stores have any. I put in a order online and it says it will ship October 6-11.

The local fruit stand told us to check every morning online at 8am 'cuz they get shipments in everyday. You can buy online and pick-up in store. Which is what I did on Saturday after deciding my pre-order/launch date 38mm was too small for my wrist and wanted to switch to the 42mm.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mildly annoying that starting music on the phone loads the now laying face. It takes me a second to figure out what the hell I am looking at when I'm expecting the time.

In other news watch 3 battery life is amazing and it's so drat fast coming from my S0. Excellent upgrade.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 25, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can turn that off. It’s called auto launch audio apps or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it's in the raise to wake options.
Marco says a lot of people are uninstalling his Overcast iPhone Watch app cos there's no volume. I'm one of them.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 25, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah it's in the raise to wake options.
Marco says a lot of people are uninstalling his Overcast iPhone app cos there's no volume. I'm one of them.

What do you mean there's "no volume"?

EDIT: Looked it up. He said lots of people are uninstalling the *Watch* app because there's no way to adjust the volume on the Watch with it.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 25, 2017

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

The overcast watch app replaces now playing when you use it and spinning the crown doesn't change the volume.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

EDIT: Looked it up. He said lots of people are uninstalling the *Watch* app because there's no way to adjust the volume on the Watch with it.

gently caress, yeah I typed that wrong.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Braincloud posted:

The local fruit stand told us to check every morning online at 8am 'cuz they get shipments in everyday. You can buy online and pick-up in store. Which is what I did on Saturday after deciding my pre-order/launch date 38mm was too small for my wrist and wanted to switch to the 42mm.

This got me my S2 during peak launch popularity last year. Just ran it in the background and got an email in the middle of the day. The store didn't even believe they had the watch on hand.

https://github.com/yuha0/applechecker

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You can turn that off. It’s called auto launch audio apps or something.

Oh cool thanks!

I didn't even think to check that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I used istocknow last year to get my S2. Just checked it once in awhile and I got mostly what I wanted. (Got a leather strap SS S2, when I wanted either nylon or sport band, but whatever.)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Nthing istocknow.com, I used one last year to get my SBSS S2 because I was dumb and didn't preorder. Took me a month.
Preordered my SBSS S3 this year and had mine at 8am on the 22nd. Always preorder.

rage-saq posted:

Day 2 of battery rundown test on my S3. I took my watch off last night at 73% but didn't put it on a charger. Woke up with it at 69% and now its at 51%. Seems like I might be able to barely squeeze 4 days out of the S3.

Day 3 is underway, a full 'work' day of use is a lot more than a weekend day from all of the emails and poo poo. 28% battery now and I'm pretty sure it'll still be above 10% when I hit the hay tonight.
"Time since last charge" says
Usage: 5 Hours, 27 minutes
Standby 2 Days, 4 Hours

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Jealous Cow posted:

istocknow.com

I know, but:

Anyway, all good - I'll order it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So just how awful is the "Composite" back?

As far as I know, Apple used it in the 1st-gen ("Series 0") aluminum watches, they use it in the Series 1 watches, and they are still using it with the new Series 3 (non cellular) watches.

Apple feels it's sufficient, but any time I look up what it's made of (as the word "composite" by itself means next to nothing), I find page after page after page where people poo poo all over it and talk about how terrible it is.

Obviously a "composite" (plastic) back isn't as durable as a ceramic/glass/sapphire back, but does it need to be? It's either on your arm or on a charger.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My Series 1 back is like new after a year or so. I'll wipe it down with T-shirts and occasionally (and accidentally) allow the Space Black Milanese Loop band snap onto it, since the band is magnetized. No harm done, even while the band is essentially comparable to the hardness of diamond. If you're interested in the non-cellular Series 3, I wouldn't worry about it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

As far as I know, Apple used it in the 1st-gen ("Series 0") aluminum watches, they use it in the Series 1 watches, and they are still using it with the new Series 3 (non cellular) watches.

Apple feels it's sufficient, but any time I look up what it's made of (as the word "composite" by itself means next to nothing), I find page after page after page where people poo poo all over it and talk about how terrible it is.

Obviously a "composite" (plastic) back isn't as durable as a ceramic/glass/sapphire back, but does it need to be? It's either on your arm or on a charger.

S0 here, and I've never had a problem with the back for exactly the reason you mention: it's not the kind of area that's really exposed to wear and tear.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

rage-saq posted:

Nthing istocknow.com, I used one last year to get my SBSS S2 because I was dumb and didn't preorder. Took me a month.
Preordered my SBSS S3 this year and had mine at 8am on the 22nd. Always preorder.

Day 3 is underway, a full 'work' day of use is a lot more than a weekend day from all of the emails and poo poo. 28% battery now and I'm pretty sure it'll still be above 10% when I hit the hay tonight.
"Time since last charge" says
Usage: 5 Hours, 27 minutes
Standby 2 Days, 4 Hours

End of day 3, going to pop it on the charger. 14% battery left.
Usage: 6 hours, 43 minutes
Standby: 2 Days, 14 Hours

My S3 lasted from Saturday morning at 9am until Monday night just before midnight without any charges inbetween, only taking it off at night and using it 100% like normal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
[quote="“rage-saq”" post="“476775274”"]
End of day 3, going to pop it on the charger. 14% battery left.
Usage: 6 hours, 43 minutes
Standby: 2 Days, 14 Hours

My S3 lasted from Saturday morning at 9am until Monday night just before midnight without any charges inbetween, only taking it off at night and using it 100% like normal.
[/quote]

Right, but how much of this time is cellular?

I would expect the watch to make it days if the phone is nearby with Bluetooth. The bigger question is how well it does when you go away from your phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

It's fine. The sapphire screen is far more important imo.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Duckman2008 posted:

Right, but how much of this time is cellular?

I would expect the watch to make it days if the phone is nearby with Bluetooth. The bigger question is how well it does when you go away from your phone.

0, thats not part of my normal routine, which is what I was testing. Its hard for me to do anything described as "normal" that enables my watch to go into LTE mode for me to do a good test. I'll test what a normal day does to my watch if its just on LTE. I have to forget my works wifi network, disable wifi and bluetooth on my phone otherwise my watch will remember.
100% at 8:40, lets see how this goes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why get the LTE then?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

sellouts posted:

Why get the LTE then?

You can only get the stainless steel models with LTE. I don't know if I will keep up the device sub after the free trial expires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

rage-saq posted:

0, thats not part of my normal routine, which is what I was testing. Its hard for me to do anything described as "normal" that enables my watch to go into LTE mode for me to do a good test. I'll test what a normal day does to my watch if its just on LTE. I have to forget my works wifi network, disable wifi and bluetooth on my phone otherwise my watch will remember.
100% at 8:40, lets see how this goes.

8:40 -> 4:30 took me from 100% to 27%. Like 10-12% an hour, though I don't have great LTE signal in my office so finding a signal might consume a lot of battery. Pretty heavy, but a little better than expected. I would get email notifications on my watch and phone at the same time which was kind of weird at first.

• Locked thread