Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The girlfriend is super insecure. It doesn't read like she's an idiot, more like she feels threatened by her law student boyfriend and his smart friends. The more he tries to call her on it, the more defensive she'll get, because "you're trying too hard to sound smart" sounds an awful lot like "you're not smart" to somebody who already feels like they have to try to impress everyone.
Yes, that's pretty clear but what are you going to do, it's like one of those guys who can't shut the gently caress up about their height to their taller girlfriends. Either this person gets a clue that she's the one making it a problem (I mean the gf from the reddit thread) or the boyfriend will have to live in that hell/break up.

Sadly insecurities like those don't tend to go away easily especially when the person refuses to have a civilized discussion about them no matter how sensitively the matter is brought up. The right answer would be therapy but that's hard and the usual outcome is a break up and the insecure person finding a partner who doesn't trigger their insecurities as they can't overcome them otherwise.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pick posted:

"but I'm right and they're wrong!!!!" is the calling card of someone who, right or wrong, is going to make a lot of problems for themselves in life

that's why they say pride is so dangerous. not because it makes you preen, but because it makes you unable to make pragmatic decisions

You sound like a pretty big pushover.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The girlfriend is super insecure. It doesn't read like she's an idiot, more like she feels threatened by her law student boyfriend and his smart friends. The more he tries to call her on it, the more defensive she'll get, because "you're trying too hard to sound smart" sounds an awful lot like "you're not smart" to somebody who already feels like they have to try to impress everyone.

The girlfriend is legit not smart, and her boyfriend is going to need to accept that if he's going to date her. You can be proud of her for her workplace accomplishments all you like, but she's not going to stop saying idiot things to your friends because she's an idiot. She's exhibiting the 'too dumb to recognise that she's dumb' part of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Just accept that your relationship is built on fremdschämen and that your friends increasingly suspect you're only with her for the sex and roll with it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ahh, the fun of country life, where your closest neighbour isn't even necessarily visible from your house and you still find many ways to fight over boundaries.

See also why pretty much all modern housing developments have huge fences. And you want a seperate inner fence for the pool. Otherwise children, animals and idiots will insist on injuring and killing themselves on your property and blaming you for it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

C.H.O.M.E posted:

You sound like a pretty big pushover.

Not at all, it is a really important skill to recognize when a principled stand will make a difference and when it won't.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Haifisch posted:

Neighbor kids keep coming on my dad's property, which is used for hunting. KY

Embrace natural selection, OP.

"We want them off our property so we can hunt safely" what a loving dork

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

abigserve posted:

"We want them off our property so we can hunt safely" what a loving dork

Did anyone do a "the most dangerous game" joke?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Gf [24F] is insecure about her intelligence among my classmates/colleagues at law school. Starts unnecessary, cringe-y debates and uses words incorrectly. How do I [26M] ask her to stop without hurting her feelings?

It's just a facetious conflagration of catch-22's all over.

Also just tell her your friends are too intimidated by her and she needs to stop making them feel bad. :shrug:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pick posted:

Not at all, it is a really important skill to recognize when a principled stand will make a difference and when it won't.

Use "use my driveway because you sold yours without thinking about it" is absolutely not acceptable. Sometimes it costs money to make your dumb neighbors gently caress off, but having them driving on your property and potentially loving things up that you exclusively pay to maintain is not something a reasonable person is going to compromise on. What happens if they drive drunk and knock something over? They sold their own driveway so you obviously can't expect them to act responsibly. Absolutely not worth the risk.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
If law school dude thinks his girlfriend is bad now, he should imagine what his life will be like when he's a practicing lawyer and her dumb rear end is still embarrassing him in front of other attorneys and clients. Maybe the sex is just that amazing...

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
How do I [31 M] answer this question from girl [28 F] I've been dating 3mths: "How was guys night out?"

Try to imagine how big a dipshit you'd have to be to ask this question

quote:

Pretend I grew up under a rock, okay? I don't do half the stuff most people do including going out and drinking at all. I didn't grow up with any female family members and we had Zero family drama. My personality is a little wonky and I relate to women way differently than every other man I've seen. Lots of things go way over my head- I can't stress this enough.

I've been talking to this girl for about 3 months, we're getting more comfortable with each other. Looking back on my previous relationship of several years, I know that these first few months are very important for setting the course for the relationship. I hung out with my friends one night and all we did was sit around and talk. She sent me a message next day telling me about her day and asks "How was guys night out?"

Like I said in first paragraph, I'm out of the loop on almost everything that happens on TV, news, real life, etc. But I DO know that this particular topic can be contentious if not handled properly. So I want to pick yalls brain if you don't mind. It would help me out best if you tell me how you handle this sort of topic and the results you've gotten, or if you're a woman, what you think you should hear in order to remain happily in your girlfriend/wifey role. Just go off of the kind of women you've been around or are and please try to describe your relationship dynamics as though you're talking to someone who's never heard of Reddit. I really appreciate your input!

btw: Things I do with my friends are mostly nerdy stuff. I've been doing these things for several years, in a number of different places. Explaining in detail or getting girls involved in these activites has always been a fools errand. During holiday parties we find more accessible things to do.

tl;dr -- How should I answer the question "How was guys night out?" for the first time in a new relationship? EDIT: If you are or have experience with a not-perfectly-well-adjusted woman, I really would like to hear from you. Many thanks.

Edit (Last): Interesting responses; all but one were the same. I am happy to see that so many people in well-adjusted relationships with good communication by both partners. I know there are others out there where one or both partners react negatively to certain things said to them, for one reason or another, and it's a struggle for a person to decide if that character flaw is worth ending a relationship over. I guess those of us in these imperfect relationships just have to do the best we can. On a different note, it feels like a kotaku elephant has walked into the room. None of you have the slightest clue who this girl is that I'm with, or what her past is, yet are "100%" sure (as one user said) that she will act a certain positive way. It's sounding like the very concept of 'her' having a negative attitude toward how I answer her question is offensive to most of you. Put your weapons down, this gender shootout is over. I never meant to start it in the first place. Have fun yall.

Edit (part 3): We cannot assume that the girl I'm talking to has no passive aggressive tendencies. Yes this is a nit-picky question. No, there is no one right answer. I want to hear your experiences. If you live in a passive-aggression-free relationship then I'm very happy for you :)

Edit (part 2): I'm not over thinking this actually. This issue is one of the four horsemen that destroyed my previous relationship of almost 10 years. A few friends of mine ran into trouble with this sort of thing too. Some tried to bring their girls to our game nights, which never went well, and their relationships were short lived. I went the opposite route so to speak. While I did find an exceptionally damaged woman to have a child with, looking back on that I saw that the fact that my hobbies were completely inaccessible to her (and all of my family members and most other people I know) had some negative effect. This current girl is not some well-seasoned relationship expert. She, like a number of people, can take certain things the wrong way. Yes, that's on her, but I can do my part to reduce that risk as much as possible. At the end of the day, if I bend over backwards for a couple of sentences and we're still together, then great. However, if I talk without thinking and then run into the same arguments as my previous relationship, then that's all my fault. If anyone would like to humor me and throw out some ideas, that would be great.

"You're overthinking this and will drive yourself insane"

quote:

I'd rather drive myself insane than have a romantic partner do it for me. Speaking from experience. There went my 20s. Thanks for the response and take care.

"Only a massively insecure woman would make this a loaded question, just answer normally"

quote:

They deserve love too, and there are more of them than most people think. Yeah, I suppose I am free to leave her on the curb with my household trash. Thank you for your response.

etc

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

'How was the guys' night out?

*has a meltdown*

'What are you doing tomorrow?'

*collapses*

'What would you like to do on the weekend?'

*has a spontaneous human combustion*

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Buzkashi posted:

On a different note, it feels like a kotaku elephant has walked into the room.

When even your auto-correct errors are insufferably nerdy.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Straight White Shark posted:

Tell them they can use your road for a week or two while you work on a more permanent solution. Then build a brick wall between your private drive and the property line. Good fences make good neighbors.

as discussed in the article, "using it once" may set a precedence for future use. Also, buried near the end of that article was a revelation that the land had a leaky underground oil tank. That's probably going to run at least $10,000 for remediation, odds are this family didn't have that kind of money in the first place.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Moon Atari posted:

When even your auto-correct errors are insufferably nerdy.

Yeah that's not an auto-correct error, he's shouting at his audience for implying he's being a misogynistic weirdo, it's like a really frou-frou way of invoking the ESS JAY DOUBLES

"Kotaku", "Feminism", "The SJWs", "Ethics in Videogames Journalism", etc phrases when seen in casual use on Reddit are generally dogwhistles for :siren: I HATE WOMEN :siren: just ftr

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 25, 2017

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Buy insecure idiot argument woman an account

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

*has a meltdown*

*collapses*

*has a spontaneous human combustion*

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The friendship between me [26F] and my friend [46 M] is turning into a trainwreck. Is he the problem, or am I over-reacting?

So when I moved here, I met a guy. Let's call him James. He was nice, into the same poo poo I was, and I didn’t have many friends, so I was grateful to have someone.

At this point, I identified as gay. He made it clear he was into me when we first started hanging out, and I politely shot him down, (Due to the fact he's 20 years older than me and I'm not attracted to him), and we went on. He made it clear that being friends with me was fine, and he has a lot of friends, including women, that genuinely are just friends, and of a broad age spectrum. 23-47 would be my guess. (I also have friends now in a broad age spectrum, which is how it's always been for me.)

At this point, I was also new in town. I didn’t have many other friends, and I hadn’t been around town, so I didn't have opinions on things. I was still exploring.

For a while, things were okay. We went out places, he introduced me to people. We have a friend's group (People right around my age) that does stuff together and we're part of the same DnD groups now.
All of this is fine.
Until recently.

It's been six months and things are now falling apart.
Problem #1. When I started going out with a woman named Claire, he ran a background check on her, via his friend at the police department. He found out everything from her high school GPA to her credit score, and then "approved" her for me. When I told him about the latest person I was into, he made it clear he planned to do the same for them, asking for his last name. He lacks boundaries of what's acceptable to do. He thinks because he wants to know something, he has every right to know it.

Last Saturday, I had to clean my apartment, I'd been puttig it off for weeks, and I finally snapped. It was really, really bad. I just finished lunch and was about to start cleaning when I received a message from James on Facebook. He had turned on Live Location. And was parked outside my apartment.
I told him I wasn't going anywhere, I had to clean. "No, you don't." Yeah, I did. I had to fight with him to get him to stop trying to get me out of the apartment. So he stayed. For 4.5 hours and waited for me to finish cleaning.
I did and we went out for pizza. It took me a few days to realize this was not okay. He should've accepted that I didn't want go anywhere and left me alone.
Problem #2. He acts entitled to my time and doesn't like it when I am unavailable. I told him that I had a sports thing for work and would miss movie night with our friends. "Skip the thing." It's for charity. "So?" I want to go. "No, you don't, you wanna hang with us." I can do that some other time. I'm sorry. "Just come after." I have no idea how late it will go. "That's fine, come after you're done." Dude, I'm gonna wanna go home and shower. "No, you'll come to move night." (This is a real, almost verbatim, conversation we had in the past week.)

So, this weekend, my dad came to visit me for the first time since I moved. I told my friends he was coming a few months back. James immediately asked when he'd be meeting him. "What makes you think you will?" "I meet everyone."

I explained to him back on Friday that no one would be meeting my father or my brother. He basically pouted. We were to have a nice, family weekend, and I'd see everyone on Monday. My family showed up Friday evening, and left this morning. They never met my friends, and James has not spoken to me in that time. The longest he's gone without saying anything to me since I moved here.

Problem #3 - He acts entitled to my life. If it's happening, he has the right to be a part of it. He doesn't really ask, or wait to be invited. I made sure not to mention places my family and I were in our Facebook group chat (James, I and two other friends) on the fear he would "randomly" show up.
I recently enrolled in Community College. I found out how much I would be receiving in financial aid. I expressed to my friends that I was planning on buying a netbook to take to class. My one friend just told me not to feel pressured to buy the one in the campus bookstore, they tend to be cheaply made. I can spend the money anywhere, so I should do my research. If I want help, let him know. James, however, immediately answered, "If I were you, I wouldn't get a netbook." I immediately told him I was telling him what I planned to do. Not asking his opinion. The conversation came to an abrupt halt and we barely spoke to each other for the remainder of the evening.

Problem #4 - When I first moved here, I did ask his opinion on things because I was new and didn't know about this place. Now I have plans and opinions of my own making and he acts as though I'm being a b*tch because I'm not tolerating his constant "guidance" anymore.
The thing that really tipped the scales and threw everything into mayhem for our friendship was my most recent relationship development. I said there was someone at work I was into. He asked what her name was. "Adam."

Me dating women was fine, but when I started dating people who were male and not him, things were... touchy at best.
Problem #5 - Things were fine when I was dating women, but as soon as I showed interest in guys who were him, things got awkward. Yes, I did flirt with him. I also flirted with literally all of my other friends. I am a natural flirt. This means nothing and all of my friends know that. One of my male friends, upon finding out about me being bi, dropped a hint he'd be into dating me. I playfully declined and it did not affect our friendship. James is acting as though me dating men who aren't him is some kind of betrayal.

For a while, my friend Bianca and I were planning on being roommates with James, 4-bedroom apartments are common around here, and we all hate living alone. It seemed like a good idea. Then Bianca and I talked about it, away from James, and we both agreed it's a terrible idea because James has this attitude that if we are doing something alone, watching TV, playing a video game, we should want to do it with him. Alone time wouldn't exist for either of us. In the words of Bianca, "We would never be able to excuse ourselves from whatever plans he makes."
Problem #6. Lack of respect for boundaries. Again.

I expressed concerns about being smart enough to get my degree, or qualified to get the job I wanted. "You'll be fine. You'll get it." And not in an encouraging "what can I do?" kind of way. In a condescending way like I'm being ridiculous for having concerns. And he does this about a lot of things. He knows I have an anxiety disorder, so it's like none of my anxieties are rooted in reality.

Problem #7. He acts like my concerns and anxieties are just me being silly and he never takes me seriously when I'm unhappy or worried about something.
Recently, we went out to lunch with a couple of friends. I was telling our friend Ashton about a comedian on Netflix, (Iliza Shlesinger). I was explaining how much I love her and I feel like if I were a comedian, I'd have the same sense of humor as her. James replied, "All you need is a sense of humor." I asked why he did that, always trying to piss me off randomly. "I do it. I don't try." Fine, why do it at all? "It's how I show love." "If that's love, you can shove it up your rear end, I don't need it." The rest of the meal was awkward between the two of us.
Problem 8. He "roasts" me whenever he likes and laughs when I get upset.

I told him I wasn't sure I wanted to go home for Christmas because of my family. He started making plans for us to take my car down to Florida to be with his family for the holidays.
Problem 9. He acts like we're dating when we're clearly not. He left his hoodie in my car. As a joke, I told him I was keeping it. I expect him to fight for it back. Nope. If anything, he encouraged me to keep it and wear it. I only managed to get him to take it back by throwing it in his car window right before he drove away.

tl;dr: Friend has plethora of boundary issues and acts like me dating men who aren't him is some kind of betrayal.
Am I right to be upset by this behavior? Should I have known better than to try to have male friends? Or is this just how some guys are?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Palpek posted:

*has a meltdown*

*collapses*

*has a spontaneous human conflagration*

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It's a real shame that you're legally obligated to be friends with creepy men twice your age who have boundary issues and no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's in the constitution and everything.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I feel like he'd just refuse to acknowledge that he'd been unfriended.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

:laffo:

what in the hell is wrong with this lady? why would you ever think it was a good idea to be friends with a dude 20+ years older than you who only stopped trying to get into your pants when you told him you were gay? (also, why are you surprised he's offended that you're attracted to men? That's the problem with sidestepping nice guy syndrome, you're not really getting rid of it, you're just delaying when you're going to have to deal with it.)

46m is a royal creep and the answer to this situation is to get a restraining order, but jesus loving christ i can only have so much sympathy for the awkward social situations people put themselves in and it should have been obvious from the get-go that any friendship with this dude was going to be awkward and problematic

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

He acts entitled to my time and doesn't like it when I am unavailable. I told him that I had a sports thing for work and would miss movie night with our friends. "Skip the thing." It's for charity. "So?" I want to go. "No, you don't, you wanna hang with us." I can do that some other time. I'm sorry. "Just come after." I have no idea how late it will go. "That's fine, come after you're done."

I want to stab in the eye people who do this

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mirthless posted:

Yeah that's not an auto-correct error, he's shouting at his audience for implying he's being a misogynistic weirdo, it's like a really frou-frou way of invoking the ESS JAY DOUBLES

"Kotaku", "Feminism", "The SJWs", "Ethics in Videogames Journalism", etc phrases when seen in casual use on Reddit are generally dogwhistles for :siren: I HATE WOMEN :siren: just ftr

He's a creepy misogynistic weirdo who preys on insecure women, asking Reddit for advice on how to manipulate her into not being mad at him? This dude can't even be human garbage without hand-holding.

:sever: imo

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Clark Nova posted:

It's a real shame that you're legally obligated to be friends with creepy men twice your age who have boundary issues and no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's in the constitution and everything.

She should probably stop flirting with him, too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Geez why can't the landlocked neighbor just park their car on the street? Having your car not be next to your house isn't the nightmare hellscape most californians seem to think it is.

They still need to walk over some property I guess but it can be whoever they sold their land to.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Mirthless posted:

Oh, he sucks even more than I thought. My brain glazed over his meandering writing style and tried to interpret his obvious fear of women as a more sympathetic form of social anxiety rather than a side effect of him believing women are horrible bitches.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kind of assuming the land scenario is rural, though I have no idea whether that might actually be the case. But if it is, there isn't really 'side of the street' so much as 'side of the road', and people are likely to assume a car left there has been abandoned.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Father of the year:

Ex-wife is suing me in small claims for lost wages when she got fired for me not exercising my parenting time. (self.legaladvice)

quote:

Posting on behalf of a friend.

He says: We have joint custody in Mississippi, although she has more physical time. I am suppose to get a full month during the summer. I exercised 2 days. I dropped our child off at daycare one day and I decided not to take my parenting time for the remainder of that month. I sent one text message telling her she needed to pick up our child at a mutual friend's house in south Carolina (friend could watch him a day at most) and just keep him my month and stopped responding after. I live in North Carolina 3 months out of the year, reside in mississippi the remainder and she resides in Mississippi.

I also didn't pay my court ordered support during this time.

I recently got served with a contempt of court for unpaid child support, a notice about a hearing to reduce my time and a notice from a court asking for my response about her suing me for lost wages.

I understand the first two but I am having issues with the last one. Her claim is that because I suddenly decided not to exercise my time that she had to miss days of work she hadn't intended and arrange care. She ended up losing her job due to having to leave work suddenly and come get our child. She has a letter from her employer stating the reason she was let go (having to leave suddenly during a shift and having to miss days she didn't have).

She wants to sue me for the salary/pay she lost during those two months, minus what UE paid out. That is 1,278 plus court costs and the cost of the two flights there to south carolina and back (not sure why she didn't drive). Her justification is that me leaving our son in south carolina and her having to leave work in the middle of the day to go get him was due to my negligence. Normally I would drive our child back so the flight costs are above what normally would be paid. She could have easily drove.

Total is 1,780.

Can you sue in small claims for lost wages like that?

I am not defending my friend but I am not sure you can sue for lost wages in that way.

Can you just file small claims for anything or do they look at justification before accepting your claim?

My friend is arguing that even if he was negligent and owes her wages it would only be for the remainder of his custody month, minus what UE paid out.

Also, wouldn't this be family court and not small claims? Wouldn't she have to sue him in south Carolina since it happened there? We think she was able to file in mississippi since he mostly technically lives there. His work has him travelling a lot but his residence is in mississippi for now.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

Posting on behalf of a friend. 

Yeah. Right.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's just a facetious conflagration of catch-22's all over.
Great comedy solution, he just needs to parrot the dumb things she says back in the conversation to highlight their absurdity

Buzkashi posted:

How do I [31 M] answer this question from girl [28 F] I've been dating 3mths: "How was guys night out?"

Try to imagine how big a dipshit you'd have to be to ask this question

"You're overthinking this and will drive yourself insane"

"Only a massively insecure woman would make this a loaded question, just answer normally"

etc
I get that this guy is a huge dork but I don't really understand his question. I've skimmed it a couple times and it just feels like a "she pulled her hair back into a pony tail but didn't" thing. So he has a tabletop game night with his male friends, women aren't invited cause they're all manchildren, his gf is fine with him having a night without her, but he thinks 'how did game night go?" is some sort of nefariously trapped question just waiting to explode? Like how exactly does he picture it going badly?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Possibly something about afraid that if he mentions he plays nerd games it'll drive all women within 30 miles to flee for the hills.

I think it's the kind of issues you get when your only experience with women is from high school and pop culture. Romantic comedies have a lot to answer for.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tabletop gamig is code for baccanalian orgy, with positions and partners decided by rolls overseen by the Dick Master

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

On another note, I think the thread's getting tetchy about age gaps, though I have to wonder given how 90% of the time it's considerably older man/younger woman there may be an aspect of 'The economy is hosed and older men are more likely to actually have a steady job and own their own home' but then again half the time they're complete mooches who sit around playing video games all day, soooooo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
[WI] Spouse changed locks and doesn't answer phone, do I have to bring in the local police to enter?

quote:

There is no divorce pending/filed etc, no court order of any sort. I was staying with my mother for a few days to help her out after a hospital stay. Husband and I talked every day via phone and there was no argument or anything.

All of a sudden, he stopped answering calls. I went over to the house, and all the locks are changed, locked up tight. I texted my husband and called to leave a message that I would be back that night and to leave the door unlocked if he wasn't going to be there.

Went back, and still locked down tight, no response to messages etc...

I've never had a good relationship with his mom, so calling her is out. It's now been 2 weeks, and I know he's not dead, he's still been mowing the lawn, but that's about it.

I don't know what this is at this point, but no matter what, I need to get into the house. Even if it ends up just being to get stuff for the kids (kids are from previous marriage) and more of my clothes, I need to get in there.

Since it's still legally my home, can I just pop a door or something? We own it, so no worry about a landlord. Just really baffled!

EDIT: For clarification, I didn't say we were happy as can be like Ozzy and Harriet. We've had our share of problems, much like most other married couples. One of the problems is the in-laws on both sides. His mother has never been supportive, and it's been an ongoing battle. Think Ray's mom on Everybody Loves Raymond... My mother has always been supportive of us, however she doesn't stay quiet about how out of line she thinks his mother is.. It creates stress on both of us.

My husband is also very very non-confrontational. He will avoid it at pretty much any cost. He has never once raised his voice towards me or the kids. However, he has disappeared for days at a time before, usually gone to his mothers' house.. Usually this has happened when he thought I would be upset about something and he wanted to avoid any argument.

EDIT2: I know many are asking for more and more info, but I'm not really one to spread everything out for everyone to analyze. We are generally very private people. We both have a very close relationship with our families, although it's always been pretty strained between myself and his mother. We both have a couple good friends, but we tend to listen to their problems and keep ours at home. It's just how our relationship has always been. I'm sorry if that seems "off" or "bizarre" or "suspicious".

As for not being concerned enough about my husband, I'm just tired, exhausted, and at this point don't really feel much more than fed up and a little irritated. I know he's alive, and no, I didn't kill him and set this all up as some weird proof haha. That might make a good episode of Criminal Minds, but it's not as exciting as all that, sorry :)

Thank you to everyone who took the time to provide some advice or other input as well as those who threw in a bit of humor. I appreciate it very much.

TLDR; No court order or pending divorce, can I break into my own home??

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Father of the year:

Ex-wife is suing me in small claims for lost wages when she got fired for me not exercising my parenting time. (self.legaladvice)

*Abandons children in a different state*
*Mother of kids flies out, gets fired*
"wow it's so unfair that she's trying to pin this on me."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inescapable Duck posted:

On another note, I think the thread's getting tetchy about age gaps, though I have to wonder given how 90% of the time it's considerably older man/younger woman there may be an aspect of 'The economy is hosed and older men are more likely to actually have a steady job and own their own home' but then again half the time they're complete mooches who sit around playing video games all day, soooooo.

Because it is overwhelmingly man children preying on insecure young women.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yeah, it's so weird that people get weird about age gaps when every time they're posted here the older guy is some form of controlling creep.

What exactly are you trying to imply here? "Economic Anxiety" is driving women to older men because all they care about is being cared for?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Wait; what is a Kotaku elephant? (My phone apparently knows that word. It's a tech publication right?)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WrenP-Complete posted:

Wait; what is a Kotaku elephant? (My phone apparently knows that word. It's a tech publication right?)

Kotaku is a video game website. Some people use it as a buzzword for stereotypically left-leaning, hyper-critical, social justice analysis of media.

So when the guy used it, he was basically saying that people were being too sensitive/male-hating/denying reality, etc.

Elephant just comes from elephant in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:females: crave the approval and economic support of a well-to-do older gentleman who is well-heeled enough to be able to afford to do background checks on everyone she associates with.