Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol, bille gates after forty years still cannot bear to admit that apple might have done something better than he did

just imagine being one of the richest bastards on the planet and being stuck constantly upgrading to the latest lovely windows phone because you are just so personally invested in your company's sales pitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when steve jobs said microsoft had no taste he was personally calling out bill gates [at the time he had a heavy hand in microsoft's interface design]

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm assuming that clip was from the late 80s/early 90s, and at that time Microsoft was a well oiled technical powerhouse while Apple was circling the loving drain (at least in the late 90s) due to their objectively shittier engineering.

but i mean yeah i guess apple always had better font rendering.

Old stevie j was that one kid in the playground who loved to talk poo poo constantly whether or not there was any substance to back it up at the time.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm assuming that clip was from the late 80s/early 90s, and at that time Microsoft was a well oiled technical powerhouse while Apple was circling the loving drain (at least in the late 90s) due to their objectively shittier engineering.

but i mean yeah i guess apple always had better font rendering.

Old stevie j was that one kid in the playground who loved to talk poo poo constantly whether or not there was any substance to back it up at the time.

it was from 1995 when jobs was at next, but nice nerd rage i guess?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fiedler posted:

Android. Ugh. Should have stuck with the Windows phone.

Anderrhoids.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

rjmccall posted:

lol, bille gates after forty years still cannot bear to admit that apple might have done something better than he did

just imagine being one of the richest bastards on the planet and being stuck constantly upgrading to the latest lovely windows phone because you are just so personally invested in your company's sales pitch

also, forcing your wife and kids to use winpho and zunes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i thought the zune was supposed to have been good

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Zune was good. It was killed prematurely and stupidly.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it was Brown

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

carry on then posted:

it was Brown

we already established that it was good

try and keep up

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

i thought the zune was supposed to have been good

Wel-
come
to the
social

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the zune ui was bad but unlike previous microsoft interfaces it didn't look bad, it just worked poorly

the zune hd ui was almost good but still had giant font disease, a condition that still afflicts microsoft to this day

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the zune was absolute poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

squirt me, br0

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

dont be mean to me posted:

we already established that it was good

try and keep up

the poop color

burning swine
May 26, 2004

i liked my zune 80 :shrug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

it was from 1995 when jobs was at next, but nice nerd rage i guess?

dude sold a ten thousand dollar magnesium cube that used display postscript as its rendering model, the first models were black and white because color postscript was too difficult for the hardware of the time but steve refused to compromise on imaging quality

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

qirex posted:

dude sold a ten thousand dollar magnesium cube that used display postscript as its rendering model, the first models were black and white because color postscript was too difficult for the hardware of the time but steve refused to compromise on imaging quality

But the recording was from '95, by which point they had given up on selling hardware.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

zune was fine

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fiedler posted:

But the recording was from '95, by which point they had given up on selling hardware.

yeah but quartz [based roughly on pdf instead of postscript] lives on to this day

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
1995? christ. apple was a has-been, next was a wank exercise first and an actual marketable product second (although it did admittedly have a decent ui toolkit i guess? just one that wasn't very practical to run on the hardware of the day)

meanwhile the dude talks poo poo about the guys who were actually revolutionizing the world by providing functional computing technology to every single home and business, today, with actual pragmatic considerations leading the charge.

dude had a gigantic messiah complex and was so incredibly butthurt that it wasn't him making it happen lol

taste, loving lol.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sapozhnik posted:

1995? christ. apple was a has-been, next was a wank exercise first and an actual marketable product second (although it did admittedly have a decent ui toolkit i guess? just one that wasn't very practical to run on the hardware of the day)

meanwhile the dude talks poo poo about the guys who were actually revolutionizing the world by providing functional computing technology to every single home and business, today, with actual pragmatic considerations leading the charge.

dude had a gigantic messiah complex and was so incredibly butthurt that it wasn't him making it happen lol

taste, loving lol.

"never criticize microsoft ever"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

this is a bad shaggar imitation imo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol 1995.. the year bill gates released his book "the road ahead" where he completely misunderstood what the internet was and made him look like the visionless fool he is

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

billy grates knew how to make tools with the existing hardware and infrastructure to optimize and automate a poo poo ton repetitive stuff that was being done by an army of clerical staff but had absolutely no vision for the future and what this stuff was ultimately capable of and Steve did and drove the industry there once MS plucked all the low hanging fruit and ran out of ideas and steam

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

microsoft was so bad at the internet they had to buy a web browser from someone else to get ie out before 1996

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

billy grates knew how to make tools with the existing hardware and infrastructure to optimize and automate a poo poo ton repetitive stuff that was being done by an army of clerical staff but had absolutely no vision for the future and what this stuff was ultimately capable of and Steve did and drove the industry there once MS plucked all the low hanging fruit and ran out of ideas and steam

It was wise of Bill to step down and make Steve the CEO.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Fiedler posted:

It was wise of Bill to step down and make Steve the CEO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GM4Lt5k24s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peUh2XQIX5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04FOUQpnGsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY2j_GPIqRA

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
ibm designs a pc that can be cheaply made out of commodity parts
microsoft is contracted to make a lovely os for that pc because ibm can't be bothered
microsoft negotiates the right to sell their lovely os to pc cloners because ibm completely misjudges potential for clone market
clone market takes off, microsoft rides wave, releases more versions of lovely os
microsoft starts developing windows nt, which at least is not total poo poo at the very core, but takes fifteen years to realize that maybe they should just use it instead of continuing to hack more things on top of their lovely os
microsoft continues to ride wave of happening to get in on ground floor of a slightly cheaper platform built with another company's market power
microsoft releases successive graphical versions of its lovely os, but they're still super lovely. in some ways they're shittier than ever
apple still exists and, despite a lot of bad decisions and market disadvantages, still manages to make an os that is somewhat less lovely than microsoft's
microsoft is soooo mad that apple still exists, deeply internalizes their sales pitch that apple customers are completely duped by marketing
steve returns, apple products start massively improving
microsoft spends fifteen years making lovely clones of everything apple does because microsoft is obviously just the best at everything

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

microsoft is contracted to make a lovely os for that pc because ibm can't be bothered
microsoft negotiates the right to sell their lovely os to pc cloners because ibm completely misjudges potential for clone market
clone market takes off, microsoft rides wave, releases more versions of lovely os
microsoft starts developing windows nt, which at least is not total poo poo at the very core, but takes fifteen years to realize that maybe they should just use it instead of continuing to hack more things on top of their lovely os
microsoft continues to ride wave of happening to get in on ground floor of a slightly cheaper platform built with another company's market power
microsoft releases successive graphical versions of its lovely os, but they're still super lovely. in some ways they're shittier than ever
apple still exists and, despite a lot of bad decisions and market disadvantages, still manages to make an os that is somewhat less lovely than microsoft's
microsoft is soooo mad that apple still exists, deeply internalizes their sales pitch that apple customers are completely duped by marketing
microsoft spends fifteen years making lovely clones of everything apple does because microsoft is obviously just the best at everything

rofl

drat, fruit company employees just get absolutely enraged any time somebody criticizes Dear Leader Eternal President

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
microsoft, fail idiots, smelling absolutely awful:

ok, our target market in 1995 is PCs with 8MB of RAM and a 486 processor, and we have a strongly established ecosystem of third party DOS and Win16 applications. Let's make an OS to bridge us to the Win32 future that still works with every insane hack that people did with DOS-based systems and fits into a thimbleful of RAM. It'll be a really difficult engineering challenge but it has to be done, then when the time is right and computer systems are more powerful we can move everybody onto our more powerful NT platform that was designed and built by the best minds in the field.

apple, refined, discerning intellectuals:

HEY GUYS CHECK OUT THIS THING CALLED RHAPSODY

ITS GONNA BE PRETTY SWEET LOL

*eight year long reverberating farting noise*

god drat it taligent and opendoc and copland were going to be so good ...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sapozhnik posted:

microsoft, fail idiots, smelling absolutely awful:

ok, our target market in 1995 is PCs with 8MB of RAM and a 486 processor, and we have a strongly established ecosystem of third party DOS and Win16 applications. Let's make an OS to bridge us to the Win32 future that still works with every insane hack that people did with DOS-based systems and fits into a thimbleful of RAM. It'll be a really difficult engineering challenge but it has to be done, then when the time is right and computer systems are more powerful we can move everybody onto our more powerful NT platform that was designed and built by the best minds in the field.

apple, refined, discerning intellectuals:

HEY GUYS CHECK OUT THIS THING CALLED RHAPSODY

ITS GONNA BE PRETTY SWEET LOL

*eight year long reverberating farting noise*

god drat it taligent and opendoc and copland were going to be so good ...

this is precious

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I can't believe these dumb Lusers have been so duped by apple in to liking a thing that isn't openly hostile to them while MS has been here the whole time

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rjmccall posted:

then steve dies and apple turns to making lovely clones of everything microsoft (and samsung) does because tim has no vision or leadership

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

lol, which part of the brilliant microsoft puppetmaster plan was it to have win95/98/me spontaneously crash multiple times a day, completely tank the brand, and turn microsoft into a laughingstock

the legacy-crap argument makes sense until you remember that, no, gently caress that bullshit, they were actually piling up new legacy crap constantly for the entire loving decade. the terrible driver model, activex, ms java, every single lovely version of ie, the registry, terrible new ui toolkits every few years, dll hell, however many different programming environments and runtimes, stupid amounts of stuff shoved into the kernel for no good reason. hmm, i wonder why they've repeatedly tried (and failed) to rewrite the whole thing from scratch

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

the registry owns

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Fiedler posted:

Zune was good. It was killed prematurely and stupidly.

zune hd was great but was released way too loving late in the game to have mattered

during the promo period and initial demos it was guaranteed that the most plentiful question was whether it was a phone because, well, why the gently caress wasn't it a phone

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the registry owns

ʜᴏᴡ ɢᴏᴇs ʏᴏᴜʀ ɢᴇɴᴇʀᴀʟ-ᴘᴜʀᴘᴏsᴇ sʏsᴛᴇᴍ ᴅᴀᴛᴀʙᴀsᴇ? ᴘʀᴇᴛᴛʏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ɪᴛ ᴅᴏᴇsɴ'ᴛ sᴇᴇᴍ!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux. posted:

zune hd was great but was released way too loving late in the game to have mattered

during the promo period and initial demos it was guaranteed that the most plentiful question was whether it was a phone because, well, why the gently caress wasn't it a phone
and then windows phone 7 wouldn't come out for another three or four years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

b-b-b-b-ut the kin

• Locked thread