Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

The Hate-Monger before *that* was a shapeshifting android made by the Psycho-Man who was like a... televangelist I guess? named H.M. Unger. He would preach hate and then sneak off and change into whatever group he was shittalking and shittalk back to make everyone even MADDER, which somehow led to that John Byrne panel of Reed slapping Sue that was all the rage on Superdickery or whatever. Scourge killed Unger.

The first time I read through that era of Marvel I always sort of wondered how he wound up on Scourge's radar considering he'd only existed for a brief little span of time. It seemed a little bit afield of his normal procedure. Ditto the issue where he goes to kill Flash Thompson in jail and just happens to bump into the Wraith as he's leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Literally the point of Scourge was killing characters that no one was probably going to use ever again.

And giving me a loving headache when I try to remember his convoluted history.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Is that the GI Joe font?

Probably. There's been a real backlash against the guy writing GI Joe for a bit, but he pissed off the right people so I'm sure whatever the genesis of it was it's probably a good thing that he said/did.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lurdiak posted:

I forget, was Adolf Hitler trapped in the cosmic cube ever resolved? Did that come up during Secret Empire?
There are a bunch of cubes, the one that Hitler's Clone's Ghost was trapped in came back up in Mark Waid's first run on the book. The Cube was destroyed and Hitler's Clone's Ghost was presumed destroyed, but he popped up again (as the Hate-Monger) to be a behind the scenes Big Bad Guy for Dan Jurgen's run which came hot off the heels of Mark Waid getting kicked off of his second Cap run.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Edge & Christian posted:

There have been like five Hate-Mongers, the most recent one debuted in 2011. The most recent one was basically a proto-alt-right anti-immigration activist who hated immigrants so hard the ghost of Adolf Hitler's clone sensed it from outer space and possessed him, giving him superpowers. He fought T'Challa by turning some white dude into AMERICAN PANTHER and also mind-controlling a bunch of cops and politicians and whatever and then T'Challa built a Ghost of the Clone of Adolf Hitler machine and banished it back to outer space.

Later in a different story that alt-right dude (who still wanted to be Hate-Monger even without Adolf Hitler's Clone's Ghost powering him) traveled back in time to assassinate Barack Obama as a baby, but was thwarted by both Nick Furies who were also traveling through time.

The Hate-Monger before that was just literally a big Nazi dude the Punisher murdered.

The Hate-Monger before *that* was a mysterious magic dude who would try to orchestrate fights between white supremacists and civil rights protests so he could feed on the emotional hate of *both sides*. It was during this story that Rage was deemed too raw and emotional to be part of the team because of how he reacted to those white supremacists. I mean, it was mostly because everyone else on the team found out he was only 13, but still.

The Hate-Monger before *that* was a shapeshifting android made by the Psycho-Man who was like a... televangelist I guess? named H.M. Unger. He would preach hate and then sneak off and change into whatever group he was shittalking and shittalk back to make everyone even MADDER, which somehow led to that John Byrne panel of Reed slapping Sue that was all the rage on Superdickery or whatever. Scourge killed Unger.

The Hate Monger before *that* was The Man-Beast (aka the Super-Beast, aka the Wolf-Being, aka Karnivore, aka Omega, aka Lord Anon, aka The Prophet, aka Kyle Munson) a half man half wolf that the High Evolutionary made who seemed to get a new name/gimmick tweak every few years so I guess he was the Hate-Monger for a bit?

The original Hate-Monger has popped up in between almost all of these other Hate-Mongers, because he is the ghost of a clone of Adolf Hitler, so he'll never really disappear.

Outside that one with the both sides poo poo, all of this sounds amazing and they should bring him back and have him be running the DOJ or the Presidency or some poo poo just to piss-off the pissbabies.

Lurdiak posted:

They did. Over and over. One of my favorite revamps gave him a bodyguard that, well:

Marvel 2011 was ahead of its time.

X-O posted:

Probably. There's been a real backlash against the guy writing GI Joe for a bit, but he pissed off the right people so I'm sure whatever the genesis of it was it's probably a good thing that he said/did.

Long story short, he was trying to tell people to stop politicizing 9/11 to further a right-wing, anti-Muslim agenda through the same kind of B.S. the right uses to claim that Kapernick kneeling is against the military and not, you know, protesting police violence. But, 140 character twitter limits.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zoro posted:

Long story short, he was trying to tell people to stop politicizing 9/11 to further a right-wing, anti-Muslim agenda through the same kind of B.S. the right uses to claim that Kapernick kneeling is against the military and not, you know, protesting police violence. But, 140 character twitter limits.

So yeah, pretty much. I've not read any of his GI Joe books but he sounds like the kind of person that should be writing GI Joe if you can't have Larry Hama do it all.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Would I regret it if I bought most of the Plastic Man archives? I've heard Jack Cole's work on them is something to see--is it worth it? Like, I own the first three Spirit Archives, but probably won't ever own all 26 of them.

As an answer to that, you could read this essay I wrote about Jack Cole for his birthday.

Spoilers: Plastic Man is possibly the best superhero comic of the Golden Age and Jack Cole is a top five GOAT cartoonist

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

X-O posted:

So yeah, pretty much. I've not read any of his GI Joe books but he sounds like the kind of person that should be writing GI Joe if you can't have Larry Hama do it all.

What I meant by 140 character limit is that he clarified later, but his original statement was a little poo poo. He said he was tired of seeing everyone who wasn't involved in the incident at all coming out of the woodwork to cry crocodile tears over the tragedy for political reasons, but said it in a poo poo manner. Like, I can see people reading the original message out of context and getting annoyed, IIRC.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Roth posted:

Is that the GI Joe font?
It certainly seems like they googled "GI Joe font" and used the first thing that popped up, yes.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Is it odd my second thought -- my first thought was "loving lol" --- was "that mask would not hide anyone's identity?"

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zoro posted:

Is it odd my second thought -- my first thought was "loving lol" --- was "that mask would not hide anyone's identity?"

It looks like some kind of BDSM thing.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Benito Cereno posted:

As an answer to that, you could read this essay I wrote about Jack Cole for his birthday.

Spoilers: Plastic Man is possibly the best superhero comic of the Golden Age and Jack Cole is a top five GOAT cartoonist

Nice overview! I have a feeling I'll really like them, I just asked in the vague hope someone will tell me not to bother so I can save some money!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

It certainly seems like they googled "GI Joe font" and used the first thing that popped up, yes.

This is a work of art.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TenCentFang posted:

It looks like some kind of BDSM thing.

Between the mask and the posture, yeah, it looked vaguely like some fetish stuff.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Between the mask and the posture, yeah, it looked vaguely like some fetish stuff.

I would love it if it was Greg Landed off literal fetish stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

A Strange Aeon posted:

Nice overview! I have a feeling I'll really like them, I just asked in the vague hope someone will tell me not to bother so I can save some money!

After that get a hold of Kyle Baker run and rejoice that DC would ever print such a comic, and despair that DC cancelled such a comic. It was truly to good for this world.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I am excited to see her adventures about getting punched by antifa and macing herself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well Diamond probably won't carry that so I'm really looking forward to the cold call where they try to get us to carry it.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

Well Diamond probably won't carry that so I'm really looking forward to the cold call where they try to get us to carry it.

How do those cold calls generally go? How does it generally go when people try to get a store to buy an independent comic?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Rhyno posted:

Will they ask for it to be put next to your back issues of Liberality for All?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zoro posted:

How do those cold calls generally go? How does it generally go when people try to get a store to buy an independent comic?

Pretty boring unless it's a crazy person with a huge sticker for his post apocalyptic cat book on the side of his van. Didn't want to leave a copy for the owner to check out, complaining about wasting gas, and thought he was doing the shop a huge favor by gracing it with the prospect of his book.

Other people will get their self published books in the shop by agreeing to only get paid for sold copies, or nearly giving their book away just to get it out there.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Open Marriage Night posted:

Pretty boring unless it's a crazy person with a huge sticker for his post apocalyptic cat book on the side of his van. Didn't want to leave a copy for the owner to check out, complaining about wasting gas, and thought he was doing the shop a huge favor by gracing it with the prospect of his book.

Other people will get their self published books in the shop by agreeing to only get paid for sold copies, or nearly giving their book away just to get it out there.

The most reasonable offers sounds like just only being paid for sold copies. You do need to trust the store owner to not try to gently caress you, but why go into business with someone you can't trust anyway?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah as stated, it's boring. But this book might have a loving baby wacko trying to sell it so it could be fun.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/27/vault-comics-issue-statement-regarding-harassment-comic-book-creators/

Some company called Vault Comics seems to be stepping up and speaking out against harrashment of minority creators.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zoro posted:

Alt-Hero is really mild, mannered reporter Dana--oh poo poo, no, her boss saw the photos of her, gently caress, nevermind.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Timeless Appeal posted:

Alt-Hero is really mild, mannered reporter Dana--oh poo poo, no, her boss saw the photos of her, gently caress, nevermind.

Hope you she doesn't write for the failing lamestream fake news media.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really looking forward to the arc where she gets fired and puts up a Patreon but only gets 137 dollars a month

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Would her archenemy be Miller's Wonder Woman?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Someone on reddit found a preview of Alt-Hero. It opens with an illegal immigrant (called an illegal) about to kill a 10 year old white girl before being saved by a vigilante. The vigilante takes the illegal immigrant to ICE and the girl to her family. The vigilante is not Alt-Hero, just some guy with a baseball bat. The narrator is clearly Alt-Hero who is praising the vigilante's actions.

The same preview bemoans kickstarter for being "cucks" who requested a preview to ensure it was in keeping with their TOS (i.e not racist), which they refused to provide and, thus, couldn't do a kickstarter.

I can rehost the pictures.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 28, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Post those loving pages.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I need to see this

Edit - Found them

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

Post those loving pages.

quote:

Alt-Hero In Action

As there has been a tremendous amount of interest expressed in supporting the launch of a Castalia Comics line, and because the Brainstorm almost unanimously decided it was a project that merited pursuing, I've done some preliminary work in developing storylines, creating characters, finding good artists, and sorting out what sort of formats we should utilize. This is a mostly new area for me - writing the text for three Archangels comics is the full extent of my previous experience - so there is a bit of a learning curve involved, but I'm leaning towards a combination of smaller digital products combined with larger softcover print books and the occasional hardcover book for the hard core supporters and comics aficionados.

We also have to deal with the fact that Kickstarter is not a serious option. I contacted them and was open about what we intend to do with Alt-Hero, but instead of simply telling us that there was no chance in Hell they would permit such an egregious offense to their SJW principles, they said that we should put the entire campaign together, launch it, and then at that point they would let us know if it was acceptable or not.

Right. Fortunately, there are other options, as needless to say, even this small glimpse of the world of Prophet, Captain Euro, Michael Martel, and the UN-sponsored Global Justice Initiative will suffice to trigger outrage in the average SJW. Assuming that support for the project continues to remain strong, I expect we'll launch the Alt-Hero kickstarter in 2-3 months.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I bet 100% of that tremendous amount of interest comes from stormfront and /pol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

site posted:

I bet 100% of that tremendous amount of interest comes from brainstormfront and /pol
ftfy

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's like poop and pee mixed together

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

quote:

Prophet, Captain Euro, Michael Martel, and the UN-sponsored Global Justice

These ALL sound awful, but that last one sounds REALLY awful.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zoro posted:

These ALL sound awful, but that last one sounds REALLY awful.

How many times do you think the author sat back in his chair and smuggly smirked while thinking how smart he was.

edit: lol at taking the kid to ICE to see where all the bad men go.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Will it crossover with Liberality For All?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

bobkatt013 posted:

Will it crossover with Liberality For All?

You keep saying that, but I don't know what that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

• Locked thread