Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus I know it's not too difficult for me to lose fat on a cut cycle, I dropped from 190 down to 165 last time in about 3 months. And when I start doing that again I'll be starting from a much different body shape than I had at the beginning of the last cycle.

(through my funhouse self-delusion glasses at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UnfurledSails posted:

The utility is that you are pretty sure you are not missing out on any muscle gains from your workouts, so you get 2 lbs/month or whatever your genetic potential is, and the rest is fat. If you are lean bulking you are not gaining as much fat, but maybe some of that muscle gain potential is going to waste as well.

Think of it as paying for muscle with fat gain. As you earn more muscle the price of muscle increases, so you have to gain more fat per pound of muscle earned, until you reach a point where you get to your limit and earn no muscle mass for any amount of fat. Some people are okay with gaining any amount of fat, and some have tighter budgets (and waistlines)

Okay but that's like a 1:5 muscle-to-fat gain ratio at best, which seems pretty extreme. Even if you wanted to be on the safe side, wouldn't it make more sense to cut that ratio down, like, a lot?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Some people don't give a poo poo and trust that they will shed the fat later. Can't blame them tho eating whatever the hell you want and lifting heavy is really fun

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Nothing is more fun than having abs

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

One must first have abs inside. Only once you truly have sick rear end abs within yourself you can have true abs on the outside

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
We've gone over this. I'm not fat, I'm cultivating mass.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Time posted:

Nothing is more fun than having abs
he said, forlornly watching the pizza party while gnawing on a baby carrot

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Successfully slid into the DM's of one of the hottest physique girls in my gym

We did it

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Gettin fat rules and is my favorite time of year

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Powerlifting crew was still at the gym 24 hours later with their poo poo all over the place and the sweat stain on the fattest guy's back had turned yellow.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Defiant Sally posted:

We did it

Good move OP just make sure the DMs don't turn into the FZ (friend zone)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Defiant Sally posted:

We did it

game recognize game

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sometimes I'm almost done with my reps and some idiot looks me in the eye like challenging me and I must continue reps until he gives in first

Had to do 20 tricep pulldowns instead of 8 yesterday

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Our insecurities make us stronger.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Anybody need pre-gym psych up videos because I just found some good poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VndO1qpq3kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl2zm_pDIdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqE5RG86zo

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Chief McHeath posted:

lol if you aren't basically blacked out and seeing red during your sets completely unable to hear anything

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

I see you guys are also using the RP hypertrophy template. I'm on the last week of mesocycle 2 (just before deload) and by the end of the workout I'm catatonic. Today's 6 sets of lat pull-downs were absolutely brutal. And then I got to do 6 sets of pull-ups afterwards, and then 6 of land mine rows.

I feel sick.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Bro thats just weakness leaving the body bro

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I hate lat pulldowns; for some reason they just never feel right. I've just been doing more pull ups to make up for it(and rows and such as well)

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Mix up your grips. Neutral grip does nothing for be but wide grip and underhand rule.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Try using a V handle and do ultra slow reps with a strong contraction at the bottom and a complete stretch at the top. My lats are fried after my sets of pull downs.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'll give it a go tomorrow as a volume/finisher thing but I think I'll keep pullups my main pull movement in the vertical plane

e: oh yeah, I just remembered supinated lat pulldowns bother my wrist. However it's been a while since I tried them. Ever since I started doing shoulder dislocators with a stick my wrists haven't acted up at all.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 28, 2017

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Cobra Commander posted:

Try using a V handle and do ultra slow reps with a strong contraction at the bottom and a complete stretch at the top. My lats are fried after my sets of pull downs.

Those are my favorite. I do wide grip first because it's my weaker lift then I really load up on v handle. Get a good bicep burn, too.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

1500 was doable for a bit over a month for me, 5'8 and was 150something but slimmed way down for abs. Lost some muscle in the arms and chest for it.

Goddamn dude that's crazy to me. I'm the exact height as you and weigh 170 and I feel I'm going to disappear into nothing if I go down 10 more pounds, and here you are going for a cut at 150.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

UnfurledSails posted:

Goddamn dude that's crazy to me. I'm the exact height as you and weigh 170 and I feel I'm going to disappear into nothing if I go down 10 more pounds, and here you are going for a cut at 150.

Frame size matters a lot. Those of us with small wrists and ankles are going to be on the lighter side of the spectrum.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Anti-Hero posted:

Frame size matters a lot. Those of us with small wrists and ankles are going to be on the lighter side of the spectrum.

The lighter guys always have small legs.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

UnfurledSails posted:

That month of cutting (following about 1800 cal/day for a few months, which at my size isn't a hufe deficit) was only about 9 months after i started working out (as a skinnyfat nerd). So i didn't have a great base to work with.

I've since put on more muscle, so I'm around 160-165 now. A cut to have abs would bring me down to the mid 150s now.

At my trimmest i was 147 lbs, had pretty good definition (and abs) but was definitely... small.

Not planning on seriously cutting anytime soon, still putting on more muscle and fat.

Also this

Anti-Hero posted:

Just a small dude with dainty wrists.
I'm surprised 405 deadlift didn't rip my arms off.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Imagine being 169 and doing 420

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Jabronie posted:

Imagine being 169 and doing 420

What if you were 6'9" too????

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey so

Hundreds of push-ups per day y/n ??

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Data Graham posted:

Hey so

Sex practice ?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey some people are really into armpit muscles ok

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Data Graham posted:

Hey so

Maybe if you put a couple of plates on your back.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Pesmerga posted:

I see you guys are also using the RP hypertrophy template. I'm on the last week of mesocycle 2 (just before deload) and by the end of the workout I'm catatonic. Today's 6 sets of lat pull-downs were absolutely brutal. And then I got to do 6 sets of pull-ups afterwards, and then 6 of land mine rows.

I feel sick.

Day 1 of meso 2 on the advanced leg program starts tomorrow. A mere 26 sets on the first day of the first week. I pray for a swift end.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Goal: bodyweight bench press

Attempted to leap the gap between 169 and 184 represented by the next heaviest combination of plates available

Succeeded only in tweaking my neck

:rip:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I tried underhand lat pulldown tonight. I did indeed feel it more in my lats a little better. Which is weird, usually when doing pullups underhand I feel my biceps getting more involved but seemed to not be so much the case on lat pulldown. Wrists felt good, so I think the shoulder dislocations have helped my wrist mobility a good bit which was an unexpected surprise.

Data Graham posted:

Goal: bodyweight bench press

Attempted to leap the gap between 169 and 184 represented by the next heaviest combination of plates available

Succeeded only in tweaking my neck

:rip:

You'll get it soon, friend! So why do you have to jump from 169-184? No 5s or 10s? I'm right there with you. I'm weighing between 192-195 depending on how much creatine I've eaten lately and if I've shat. My last bench set I got 155x8 so I'm probably right there at a bodyweight bench for 1 rep max.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 29, 2017

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Drop the weight when doing underhand and keep thoracic extension, underhand has become my favorite way to do pulldowns after I mastered the technique. I can bang out alot of wide grip pullups, so that's the only kind I do anymore.

I tried out this new-to-the-gym/older leg machine tonight, my glutes are going to be fried when I wake up. :getin:

It's like a leverage squat machine but WAY gnarlier, steeper angle, and even without any weight added its still pretty difficult.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah I started with 105(usually did about 120x10 before) and went slow and let it stretch my lats out at the top. Some dude at one of the local gyms actually posted a video of doing lat pulldowns, one handed, underhand kneeling on the floor at the regular weight stack. It looked like it might work pretty good but I don't really do one handed variations of things most of the time unless there's a big benefit. Time constraints and all.

edit: how much do you lean back? Like I had a slight bit of lean, it was like a super incline bench press(maybe 80 degrees if vertical would be 90) in terms of plane of motion. Should I lean more forward and make it more vertical?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 29, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

You'll get it soon, friend! So why do you have to jump from 169-184? No 5s or 10s? I'm right there with you. I'm weighing between 192-195 depending on how much creatine I've eaten lately and if I've shat. My last bench set I got 155x8 so I'm probably right there at a bodyweight bench for 1 rep max.

Yeah, 169 is 44 (bar) + (45 + 10 + 5 + 2.5) * 2. That's all the plates I have except for a couple of 25s, and 44 + 25 + 25 = 184. Maybe I can hang some bags of oranges off the ends or something to get me across the chasm

But yeah, it'll come. 3x8 is doable at 169 much more easily than it was a week or so ago; even if all I can think while I'm doing it is

Paper Diamonds posted:

You either finish the rep, or you die. :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Back when I had one of those lovely cheap weight sets that had 20s as the biggest "plate" I'd fill up a milk jug with water and hang off them. I think a gallon jug of water is 8 lbs IIRC. Then I wanted to add another milk jug but there wasn't room so I'd jam a stick into the bar(cheap 5 lbs bar that was hollow) and hang the 2nd one off the stick