Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

:yeah:

I mean, a sapient one like Data. Not a sexbot one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

I have attached Siri to four Roombas and a resusci-Annie. But will she choose me?

vermin fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 28, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

vermin posted:

I have attached Siri to four Roombas and a rescusi-Annie. But will she choose me?

Now this is the kind of hard question Discovery should be tackling

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Yes. Next question.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Is it bigoted to say "not if they're Cylons"?

~*asking for a friend*~

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/913512681461575680

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There are too many TNG era LCARS beeps and boops on Discovery (I hate that I can pick them out of the background noise with such ease).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

There are too many TNG era LCARS beeps and boops on Discovery (I hate that I can pick them out of the background noise with such ease).

By TNG everyone was tired of the TOS-era pings, and were revisiting "vintage" bridge soundscapes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
[quote="“Brawnfire”" post="“476864377”"]
By TNG everyone was tired of the TOS-era pings, and were revisiting “vintage” bridge soundscapes.
[/quote]

Hell, I can even get onboard with the holo-technology in Discovery falling out of favor for a century due to it obviously being clunky as hell.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HD DAD posted:

Hell, I can even get onboard with the holo-technology in Discovery falling out of favor for a century due to it obviously being clunky as hell.

The weird MMO-like lag glitches in their holo-communicator makes sense if it's not actually displaying a live version of the other person, but rather just pasting their voice onto an avatar.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

The_Doctor posted:

The weird MMO-like lag glitches in their holo-communicator makes sense if it's not actually displaying a live version of the other person, but rather just pasting their voice onto an avatar.

I liked it a lot when Burnham was talking to Sarek, and he apparently sat down somewhere on his end, so the hologram freaked out a bit and jittered him around the room before settling on the edge of a console as a good spot.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zutaten posted:

I liked it a lot when Burnham was talking to Sarek, and he apparently sat down somewhere on his end, so the hologram freaked out a bit and jittered him around the room before settling on the edge of a console as a good spot.

I like to imagine the computer sometimes bugs out and the hologram will sometimes sit in your lap, or on your dog, or in the bin

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Marshal Radisic posted:

There's something like five different backstories for her, most of which contradict each other. Probably the nuttiest one out there is from the New Frontier series, which is basically a sandbox for Peter David to do whatever he wants. In those books, she's introduced as "Morgan Primus," and she's a human from Earth who became immortal sometime in the misty past, kinda like that Flint guy. She tended to swap identities every few decades, one of which was Number One, though there's also some jokes made about Christine Chapel and the ship's computer. She eventually ended up on the USS Excalibur, the main ship of the series, and eventually got killed by a Greek god, only to have her mind end up in the computer. She eventually contracted Cortana's space madness, and she ended up getting erased. Oh, and she's Robin Lefler's mother.

Jesus, when I lay it all out like that, it's so incredibly stupid. How did I never see it before?

She's also Lwaxana Troi's aunt.

New Frontier is the best cuz it just goes whole-hog into the ridiculousness of writing Star Trek novels.
Hell yeah I want the protagonist to be a purple-eyed master swordsman who's like a son to Picard, fucks Shelby, and punches out Jellico multiple times. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently DSC is going to introduce more TOSy uniforms down the line, so we'll see how that marries up, I guess.

I wouldn't mind if they adopted the TOS uniforms as everyday wear and retconned the DSC uniforms as fancy dress, because god drat the TOS dress uniforms were awful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Arglebargle III posted:

I wouldn't mind if they adopted the TOS uniforms as everyday wear and retconned the DSC uniforms as fancy dress, because god drat the TOS dress uniforms were awful.

Better than the TNG dresses. Like the costume department heard "dress uniform" and took it literally.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Better than the TNG dresses. Like the costume department heard "dress uniform" and took it literally.

That was their reinvention of the skant.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zutaten posted:

Also the Discovery uniforms are apparently "utility jumpsuits" akin to the Enterprise coveralls while the Enterprise is using the new style shirt and pants uniforms they're just rolling out.

...this book sucks.

LOL..and that won't work, because:

1) The "new uniforms" were being worn during The Cage, which took place 2 years before STD, and at least a year before this novel I would assume
2) Everyone else we see in Starfleet on this show will be wearing thr "utility jumpsuit"
3) If the show is somehow still on in 5 years, they still won't be wearing the "new uniforms"

:sad:

I nearly bought the book but then realized there was no way I could reconcile the two visually different universes even in my head. Until/unless they make that effort onscreen, this book is alternare reality fanfiction. And I do generally like David Mack's work. I think he was given an impossible task here.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Picard: *this dress uniform is so ugly, it's embarrassing, but what else can I do?*
Wesley: I hope you're enjoying yourself Captain, you look very regal.
Picard:...thank you Wesley...Wesley, go to the replicator's clothing menu and randomize the parameters. Put on the first thing that it chooses and report back to the party.
Wesley: Is that an order sir?
Riker: Are you questioning direct orders from your captain, ensign?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The more I think about it, the madder I get that they put the show as a loving prequel. All you gotta do is set it a hundred years post-TNG, and shake things up. It let's you ignore and change things as you will (and only need to explain things if you feel like it) because time has passed, let's you bring on old stars as episode stunts, and lets you explore rather than setting up old poo poo. Are we gonna see the Tholians again in DSC? Who cares!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Astroman posted:

LOL..and that won't work, because:

1) The "new uniforms" were being worn during The Cage, which took place 2 years before STD, and at least a year before this novel I would assume
2) Everyone else we see in Starfleet on this show will be wearing thr "utility jumpsuit"
3) If the show is somehow still on in 5 years, they still won't be wearing the "new uniforms"

:sad:

I nearly bought the book but then realized there was no way I could reconcile the two visually different universes even in my head. Until/unless they make that effort onscreen, this book is alternare reality fanfiction. And I do generally like David Mack's work. I think he was given an impossible task here.

The book later elaborates that only the Constitution-class crews get the new (old) uniforms. Also, mention is made of how badly the Enterprise outclasses the Shenzhou. (like either Gant or Daft Punk lady remark with awe upon the Enterprise's phasers just loving a ship up)

Overall, I liked the book; enjoyed what they did with Michael and Spock, as well as Saru. Felt like some Star-Trek-rear end Star Trek.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 29, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VanSandman posted:

The more I think about it, the madder I get that they put the show as a loving prequel. All you gotta do is set it a hundred years post-TNG, and shake things up. It let's you ignore and change things as you will (and only need to explain things if you feel like it) because time has passed, let's you bring on old stars as episode stunts, and lets you explore rather than setting up old poo poo. Are we gonna see the Tholians again in DSC? Who cares!
Hell, you could set it during the Original Series if you want. Maybe they were on the other side of the Federation. Get some old school Cardassians up ins.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Nessus posted:

Hell, you could set it during the Original Series if you want. Maybe they were on the other side of the Federation. Get some old school Cardassians up ins.

Don't give them ideas.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Computer, load program Kill_All_Nerds.exe

*Acknowledged. Bzzt. Boop.*

*Program initialized. Deleting all Star Treks.*

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
It's confused me since Enterprise who it is in the planning/decision-making areas that really wants prequels. The obvious reason is to go back and look at interesting stuff that got hinted at in previous series as having happened, but they didn't then go on and do much of anything with the Romulans or whatever, it was almost all original. It's tremendously limiting as an idea, so there must be some good reason to go back twice now.

I mean, technically it's three times even, but with '09 whatever you think of it "we're rebooting, people know Kirk" are actual reasons to do it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Ethics. That's a pretty broad title. Turns out Geordi cheats at cards, obviously.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf just lost to his most fearsome opponent yet: a barrel

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

OOooooooh god

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Intro thought: I think I saw this espisode before. I'll try and see how well I remember as I keep watching.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh yeah it's Literally Hillary Clinton. When did I watch this?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Revenant Threshold posted:

It's confused me since Enterprise who it is in the planning/decision-making areas that really wants prequels. The obvious reason is to go back and look at interesting stuff that got hinted at in previous series as having happened, but they didn't then go on and do much of anything with the Romulans or whatever, it was almost all original. It's tremendously limiting as an idea, so there must be some good reason to go back twice now.

I mean, technically it's three times even, but with '09 whatever you think of it "we're rebooting, people know Kirk" are actual reasons to do it.
"The most popular Star Treks were in this period and starred Kirk, Spock and McCoy." That is almost certainly the primary driver.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't think I was paying that close of attention the first time through so I might as well watch again. All I remember is Hillary Clinton was there and Worf tried to kill himself, like he does.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nessus posted:

"The most popular Star Treks were in this period and starred Kirk, Spock and McCoy." That is almost certainly the primary driver.

That's not true though, Kirk and Spock got cancelled.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Where does he keep all of it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I think Madame Secretary was supposed to be villainous because she wanted to do an operation on Worf that could kill him, but since it's his only chance and he wants to die anyway isn't that win-win?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I feel so sorry for Worf that he can't even kill himself without someone's help. If he asked me I'd probably do it just because I couldn't refuse a request from someone who had to rely on me like that, you know what I mean?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

That's why I understand the thought process behind '09. But Enterprise didn't use the chance to include any of the big three, and while Discovery's still as new as can be, while there are theoretical plans for another of the reboot films I can't see them using any TOS characters either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gammatron 64 posted:

I mean, I have. I really like the show a lot. But... I dunno man, I can't help but feel like DS9 is different than Discovery and saying they're the same is kind of a disingenuous argument. Yes. it tackled a LOT of dark subject matter, but it did it in a way that it still felt like Star Trek. I mean, Trek had episodes on nasty issues like war and racism since the beginning. Am I on to something here, or am I just imagining it? I dunno, I'm having trouble putting it into words. It goes into dark places but still manages to keep that general sense of optimism and hopefulness. I don't think these shows are the same thing.

I've been thinking about it too and what it means to be Trek. DS9 is still optimistic, the Federation is good, and our Starfleet characters are heroic. But while in TNG it's just sort of taken for granted that the Federation Is Good and Utopia Is Great, DS9 analyzes it. It presents utopia as a goal that we have to work toward and is never finished. Sometimes that goes dark places like Sisko tricking Romulans into a war for the greater good, but that greater good part is important.

DS9 also features multiple non-Federation main/recurring characters who don't buy into that same morality, so we see more ambiguous behavior. Even then, though, they're still good people. Quark protests a lot but his actual behavior is more moral (by human standards) than most Ferengi. Garak is the darkest of the cast but even then, for a former Obsidian Order operative and spy/assassin he could be a lot worse. Odo learns to be a better person rather than where he starts as simply Order and Law above all else. Federation ideals infect them all.

TOS is kind of a mess because they didn't stay consistent, but they're trying to do good. TNG goes the full utopia. Voyager, despite all its problems, does maintain that idea where we may be stranded across the galaxy but inside this ship is the Federation and we will uphold those goals. Enterprise is before the Federation, but humanity is learning how to be good in space and spreads it to others. The Vulcans start being less lovely, the Andorians are pushed into peace and cooperation. It's going in the direction we know.

I'm not going to judge STD on two episodes but I think this idea plus the ensemble cast are the core things that make Trek Trek.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Orville is such Star Trek comfort food. Tonight's episode loving rocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Where's that mock-up of a Star Trek E/N with multiple threads about Worf wanting to kill himself