Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
this Oldman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Toops posted:

Who would The Four Horsemen of the CIGpocalypse be?

Ben is Famine, Chris the master of multiplying bugs is Pestilence, Sandi is Death obviously and Derek Smart is Warlord

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Blue On Blue posted:

(chris rips his pants off and starts gyrating his hips while violently forcing a stream of diarrhea across the stage)

applause.

"Robert Space Industries CEO Chris Robert Dies Onstage During Unexpected Sexual Diarrhea"

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

hot balls man no homo posted:

Ben is Famine, Chris the master of multiplying bugs is Pestilence, Sandi is Death obviously and Derek Smart is Warlord

:five:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Toops posted:

"Robert Space Industries CEO Chris Robert Dies Onstage During Unexpected Sexual Diarrhea"

Local fat man had this to say when asked if he knew Mr. Robert

"He really put his heart and soul into this project.... look there it is, in that congealing puddle of poop"

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Nicholas posted:

Oddly enough, RSI's own terms of service references "Robert Space Industries". A company name, which to my knowledge isn't on the list of shell corps. So either it's purposful misdirection or they don't even have the company name right in their iron clad TOS.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/4vrbvd/companies_associated_with_star_citizen/

Interesting.

So since the TOS is between the user and Robert Space Industries and you make a purchase from Roberts Space Industries, the ToS would be unenforceable on its face - since Robert Space Industries does not exist, and therefore it cannot have any subsidiaries.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Intel's "sort of SSD" is wildly expensive, has performance numbers that were massaged by marketing, and uses 18 watts.

lol

Perfect fit for Star Citizen.

For gently caress's sake, my mechanical drives use half or less power, and store an order of magnitude more.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

XK posted:

Intel's "sort of SSD" is wildly expensive, has performance numbers that were massaged by marketing, and uses 18 watts.

lol

Perfect fit for Star Citizen.

For gently caress's sake, my mechanical drives use half or less power, and store an order of magnitude more.

(Op)
Tane

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

MedicineHut posted:

Hey Lladre, you voting on Sunday?

They won't deliver the ballot here in NY till two weeks after the vote. Mainly because my surname is not Castilian.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
What are folks more excited for:
Intel:

or the Amazon tie in?

(Ok, so I lack skills....)

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:kimchi:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Couldn't you just make a wiki and fill each page with some bullshit? It would be so easy to keep consistent as long as you compartmentalise the different concepts. Everyone could work on it together and edit it into a coherent whole. You don't even have to pay for anything.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i don't see how this citcon ends well for cig and with the way things are going it'll be one last farcical showing before it all fizzles out spectacularly

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
If someone somehow convinced Chris to allow a competent CGI studio to fake them some Hamill-centric SQ42 nonsense I could easily see that being enough to keep the cultists excited and distracted.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Ben fat.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Reception of the new pre-sale seems tepid so far.

Funding for 2017 YTD just dropped below 2014.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

no_recall posted:

Ben fat.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

I'm a fat pos, but I thank nobody every day I'm not BenFat.

I'd eat a bullet before I got that bad.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

boviscopophobic posted:

I'm glad of it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TheAgent posted:

I have a feeling there's going to be a fight for article firsts regarding the crash and ultimate (full) burn of Star Citizen.

They're all ready to go already. Kind of like how newspapers keep celebrity obituaries up-to-date just in case

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Nicholas posted:

Oddly enough, RSI's own terms of service references "Robert Space Industries". A company name, which to my knowledge isn't on the list of shell corps. So either it's purposful misdirection or they don't even have the company name right in their iron clad TOS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/4vrbvd/companies_associated_with_star_citizen/

"Chris Roberts? No, no, you're looking for Robert Space. Yes, he's the one you need to contact for a refund. Uh, or so I hear. No, no relation."

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

boviscopophobic posted:

Hmm, nope, nothing at all suspicious about the funding graphs converging on the exact same point 3 years in row.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Nicholas posted:

If you email Robert Space Industries Corp via the specified address (support@cloudimperiumgames.com), they could reply saying, "This is CIG. You want RSI. You have contacted the wrong corporate entity. Sorry!".

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hey Derek, my friend says that Universal Combat CE just started updating. What's happening with that?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AP posted:

How pissed off do you think Chris Roberts is that his Citizen Con Intel SSD surprise has leaked 4 weeks early?

With this, the game can crash faster.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hovering around zero issues and are having daily go/no-go meetings, but they can't release it because it is too unstable. They were so close, but now they are back up to five issues. What new excuses will they come up with next week?

"You have five or six people and it crashes every five or ten minutes... and if 3.0 crashes is relative or proportional to the amount of people playing there will be a lot more, you'll be having crashes every minute or two, because you are going to fill up these instances pretty quickly... They'll download it, then they'll be getting kicked out to the desktop" - Chris Roberts

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Tokamak posted:

Hovering around zero issues and are having daily go/no-go meetings, but they can't release it because it is too unstable. They were so close, but now they are back up to five issues. What new excuses will they come up with next week?

"You have five or six people and it crashes every five or ten minutes... and if 3.0 crashes is relative or proportional to the amount of people playing there will be a lot more, you'll be having crashes every minute or two, because you are going to fill up these instances pretty quickly... They'll download it, then they'll be getting kicked out to the desktop" - Chris Roberts

Guessing that they reduced scope until there were 0 bugs, showed it to Chris, and he asked "but what about [some idiot poo poo]???" and they said "you moved it to 3.1 so we could release this on time" and he said "no I really want that now, since you're not working on anything now that this is ready, put those things back in!!!" and suddenly it's 5 critical blockers again.

Next week's meeting will go "but I thought you were ready for launch last week?"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

Guessing that they reduced scope until there were 0 bugs, showed it to Chris, and he asked "but what about [some idiot poo poo]???" and they said "you moved it to 3.1 so we could release this on time" and he said "no I really want that now, since you're not working on anything now that this is ready, put those things back in!!!" and suddenly it's 5 critical blockers again.

Next week's meeting will go "but I thought you were ready for launch last week?"
nah, chris is now 100% on the "gently caress everything, get something out" train because its pretty obvious the money is coming to a halt and they actually have to show something for the $160m worth of preorders they've collected so far

that the game is completely unstable and hosed shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, let alone chris roberts.

here comes the "we've moved our player caps down per server to 6, as this was causing everything to crash constantly. the servers and your game client will continue to crash constantly, but we are working on a fix with evocati to fix this issue. 3.2 should bring player counts back to 24, and when 4.0 launches, player counts will be in the hundreds. trust us. also buy more poo poo" move to try and keep the cash coming in

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

AP posted:

How pissed off do you think Chris Roberts is that his Citizen Con Intel SSD surprise has leaked 4 weeks early?

My favorite part about all these cons is CIG showing off the work that other companies were paid to do. Are you excited for Star Marine? Look at the work Illfonic has done. Facemapping on your avatar? Sure, we bought the rights for some off the shelf software and are announcing it (and a SC licensed camera) at Gamescom as our big achievement. 3.0 delayed? Well check out the hard drives these guys are making for us for money.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

TheAgent posted:

nah, chris is now 100% on the "gently caress everything, get something out" train because its pretty obvious the money is coming to a halt and they actually have to show something for the $160m worth of preorders they've collected so far

that the game is completely unstable and hosed shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, let alone chris roberts.

here comes the "we've moved our player caps down per server to 6, as this was causing everything to crash constantly. the servers and your game client will continue to crash constantly, but we are working on a fix with evocati to fix this issue. 3.2 should bring player counts back to 24, and when 4.0 launches, player counts will be in the hundreds. trust us. also buy more poo poo" move to try and keep the cash coming in

A lot of their problems would be solved if they just called it a time-limited demo which ends the experience after 10 minutes (when it crashes) with a "Thanks for playing Wing Commander!"

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen : A Time Limited Demo.

Funnily enough its true, the 5 year long alpha hasn't produced a game. It's an overly expensive tech demo, which you can play for a short amount of time before crashing.

Please buy an X1 to continue.

Irony at its best.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

TheAgent posted:

if drinking good wine and lying to your significant other about the bottles you're hiding around the house, always fearing one day they'll be discovered and your twisted house of cards will come crashing down around you in an awesome and terrifying fashion, well, heh, I guess I am then

OK you got me to laugh pretty hard. :golfclap:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I saw a review by a nerd who said the same thing, inside sim racing I think it was, I am really intrigued and would like to see if one works in Elite etc too

It doesn't support Elite Dangerous, since Elite Dangerous offers no telemetry data for outside apps at the moment, so the seat mover driver has nowhere to get the info from on what to simulate. Racing sims offer either shared memory hooks for this, or somekind of either UDP or TCP protocoll/server or both. What the seat mover always offers is to simply bind it to controller axis, so for Elite Dangerous, I simply bound it to the Joystick axis. You can configure speed of movement, how fast it should accelerate and deccelerate and much much more (the "Extended Config" menu is actually nuts...). So I still have fun with E:D, dogfights or fast landing maneuvers rattle me quite around, but what this solution can't offer is picking up continued movement, like you disengage flight assist and move your joystick to get the ship into a wild spin. As soon as the recenter the joystick, the platform will also, allthough your ship is still spinning like crazy. That's a small immersion breaker, of course, but it still is drat fun, especially during dogfights when you go like "stand still you fucker, I'm already sick from the last maneuver :barf:". A deal breaker to me would of course be when Star Citizen won't offer support.

tuo fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 29, 2017

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

tuo posted:

A deal breaker to me would of course be when Star Citizen won't offer support.

Consider the deal broken... CIG can't even support basic game functionality.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
The SSDs will ship with two versions, the 280GHb and 480Gb models and it’s apparently optimised for Star Citizen which sounds like a load of marketing speak purely for the purpose of this event reveal.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/leaked-reveal-star-citizen-intel-optane-ssds

Heh

On a related note, SSDs don't actually improve game performance do they?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

his nibs posted:

The SSDs will ship with two versions, the 280GHb and 480Gb models and it’s apparently optimised for Star Citizen which sounds like a load of marketing speak purely for the purpose of this event reveal.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/leaked-reveal-star-citizen-intel-optane-ssds

Heh

quote:

With backers continuing to plough cash into Star Citizen despite slow progress, Intel will have spotted a captive audience with a lot of expendable income so why not use it to help shift what will likely be expensive SSDs for the consumer market.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

his nibs posted:

Heh

I've never seen or heard of an SSD improving anything except load times (which is a boon with some games like the Total Warhammer series).

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

They improve load times only. Whether this is a factor depends on the game both loading more than once per session and taking more than a few seconds to load in the first place. I notice they help a lot with something like Warframe but in that game, it just means you get to watch other peoples load bars.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

his nibs posted:

They improve loading times, when stuff that the game needs are on the SSD and not (yet) stored on a faster memory (eg RAM ).

Star Citizen supposedly has lots of hidden loading screens too, so it could seem that it "improves" the speed of certain sections where the player is basically waiting around.

Frames per second though, nah.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Golli posted:

Is Robert Space Industries an actual separate corporate entity from Roberts Space Industries?

I know it has been pointed out before at Gamescom booth, etc., but usually attributed to a typo. Assuming the Intel notice is real, Intel is careful enough to not usually make such a mistake.

This makes me wonder if there is another shell corp in play.

When everything collapses, that guy 'Robert Space' will be in deep poo poo, a bit like Randall Stephens in The Shawshank Redemption:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_KwwI3_cK8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

They actually also comes with a new networking driver for intel based NICs. It virtualizes the socket layers and actually only opens two sockets for the patcher while pretending to open 63282, so it won't bring down your network.